Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I read the Regulators first but Desperation was way way better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Saw this in the pyf funny pictures thread, too good not to share...

zoux posted:

Why do so many crazy people independently come to the conclusion that they should put their crazy ideas on their car

Solice Kirsk posted:

Great, another van out to get Stephen King.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

I read the Regulators first but Desperation was way way better

It started out good then got crazy. I think it would have been much cooler if King had just made it a lunatic, lonely town sheriff in Death Valley with paranoid delusions wantonly loving with people and locking them in his rusty old jail like that Grand Canyon episode of The Brady Bunch.

That thing with the totems and the mines was just too stupid. And The Regulators was one of the worst books he's ever written. I didn't even finish it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

That thing with the totems and the mines was just too stupid.
No it wasn't! (I loved it, the lore, the Chinese miners going crazy, Tak, all of that poo poo.)

Stop hatin', bro! C'mon!

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Finally finished Black House after years and 3 starts. Was pretty disappointed in it compared to The Talisman, which is probably one of my favorite books.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

On reread #15? of The Stand, just finished "No Great Loss" :kiss:

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

On reread #15? of The Stand, just finished "No Great Loss" :kiss:

I just finished my first ever readthrough of the Stand literally an hour ago and yes, this was my favorite part of the book.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
New Line developing an adaptation of Stephen King's The Long Walk.

quote:

James Vanderbilt (Truth) is writing the screenplay for New Line, the studio behind IT, and will produce with Bradley Fischer and William Sherak.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I've always been shocked that this hasn't been licensed before. It seems as if it'd fit right in with the Walking Dead crowd.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I've always been shocked that this hasn't been licensed before. It seems as if it'd fit right in with the Walking Dead crowd.

Same. Even more puzzling considering how easy it would be to film on a low budget.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
right. so i am back on audible and have been going through stephen king books.

the shinning is still great.

Misery has some great parts but i think the movie does it better i some areas.

pet semetary is good but its kinda over rated. alot of the stuff hinted at is much creepier( not being explicit on how hosed up the kid's body is and how the cemetary works ) my issue is that its not really scary. more kinda depressing and sometimes creepy. also why does the daemon not do poo poo when it comes back in batermans body outside talk poo poo and troll but goes full child's play when its in the kids body?

unstucker posted:

I couldn't name the worst King's book, but the most boring for me was The Dead Zone. I haven't read it to the end. And the most exciting turned out The Dark Tower)

Cell. i didnt hate it but it just got boring fast.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

There's no demon in Pet Sematary. The grounds just bring things back wrong. Buddy with the warnings wasn't buried there, he's just a ghost.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

pet sematary is one of the most horrific books king's written and is so so good

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

There's no demon in Pet Sematary. The grounds just bring things back wrong. Buddy with the warnings wasn't buried there, he's just a ghost.

i didnt mean him. i mean timmy baterman. he gets buried and comes back some weird thing that knows everyones secrets and just kinda lurches around until he gets delt with. then the same entity posess gages body and decides gently caress it and kills everyone.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I’ve always thought what was wrong with the soil was related to Tommyknockers or IT. That it was something alien. I only read the first 2 Dark Tower books, but from what I understand King does explain some how his books are related later in the series. Is that true?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It's a teen dystopia story with no romance and no action scenes. Doesn't really lend itself to a movie, imo.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Cell. i didnt hate it but it just got boring fast.

Seconding this and I'll add From a Buick 8.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

nate fisher posted:

I’ve always thought what was wrong with the soil was related to Tommyknockers or IT. That it was something alien. I only read the first 2 Dark Tower books, but from what I understand King does explain some how his books are related later in the series. Is that true?

Sorta, yeah. The Tower is some kind of nexus through various versions of our world. The Beams support the Tower, keeping it from collapsing and destroying the universe in the process. But the Beams are failing and it causes all sorts of problems across the multiverse, like sour burial ground and rubbing the division between realities thin enough that poo poo passes through. It's far far worse in Roland's world, since the Beams are actually there, but they affect all the realities connected to the Tower.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

nate fisher posted:

the idea is that the dark tower mythos exists in the background of all his books. But direct references are usually just that, little nods and stuff. Reading the dark tower and applying it to pet semetary (for example) doesn't actually add anything to it. Insomnia probably gets a little more context if you've read DT, and the turtle in It is explained, and similar things for some other books, but reading DT won't really enhance those books because they were written as stand alone stories.
I think there is a list somewhere of which books have dark tower references.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Attitude Indicator posted:

the idea is that the dark tower mythos exists in the background of all his books. But direct references are usually just that, little nods and stuff. Reading the dark tower and applying it to pet semetary (for example) doesn't actually add anything to it. Insomnia probably gets a little more context if you've read DT, and the turtle in It is explained, and similar things for some other books, but reading DT won't really enhance those books because they were written as stand alone stories.
I think there is a list somewhere of which books have dark tower references.

DT is a little retcon, which I mean, I'm sure SK wants/ed a little legacy and so forth. It was important enough to rush when he felt the weight of mortality*

https://www.stephenking.com/darktower/connections/

But heck, I liked Insomnia at the time and the DT reference was a cherry on top.

Not sure if I'll be re-reading it anymore than I will LotR but he kind of just sucks me in.

*note to self rewatch Kingdom Hospital

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Khizan posted:

It's a teen dystopia story with no romance and no action scenes.
Like I said, the Walking Dead crowd will love it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Like I said, the Walking Dead crowd will love it.

sounds about right. the comic is pretty ok all in all but the show is a whole other beast. after the first season and a few stand out moments, the show sucks rear end. But then again i just hate zombie poo poo. its gets boring and basicaly covers the same themes over and over again.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 29, 2018

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I'm gonna be without Internet for a few months and I'm gathering up as much reading material (well, audiobooks actually) as I can get.

King books I've read:
The Shining
The Stand
Insomnia
Pet Sematary
The Eyes of the Dragon
IT

What would you all recommend to look into next? The Stand and IT were my favorites, although I did like them all. Something likePS is a bit too depressing for me right now though...would prefer something a tad more uplifting.

I might reread The Stand actually but other suggestions are welcome.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

'Salem's Lot and his older short story collections are where I'd recommend going next.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The Dark Tower series my man.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

So I'm gonna be without Internet for a few months and I'm gathering up as much reading material (well, audiobooks actually) as I can get.

King books I've read:
The Shining
The Stand
Insomnia
Pet Sematary
The Eyes of the Dragon
IT

What would you all recommend to look into next? The Stand and IT were my favorites, although I did like them all. Something likePS is a bit too depressing for me right now though...would prefer something a tad more uplifting.

The Mist audiobook is pretty good but yeah you have most of the bases covered there with The Shining and The Stand. And Eyes of the Dragon is underappreciated but it's on your list so nice

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

King books I've read:
The Shining
The Stand
Insomnia
Pet Sematary
The Eyes of the Dragon
IT

Most of the short story collections and novellas are pretty great. I'd say try Skelton Crew if you want scary and Different Seasons if you want story.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

NikkolasKing posted:

King books I've read:
The Shining
The Stand
Insomnia
Pet Sematary
The Eyes of the Dragon
IT

Misery!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Night Shift was my introduction to King, and I still think it's one of his best short story collections.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Night Shift was my introduction to King, and I still think it's one of his best short story collections.
Same!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Night Shift really does have a good lineup. I really like Skeleton Crew too, especially "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut" and (ugh) "The Jaunt."

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
skeleton crew rules

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ladyfingers they taste like ladyfingers

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Night Shift really does have a good lineup. I really like Skeleton Crew too, especially "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut" and (ugh) "The Jaunt."

Those are solid stories. I also like "Word Processor of the Gods". I'd pay good money to have a few minutes with that makeshift computer.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

:yeah:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Those are solid stories. I also like "Word Processor of the Gods". I'd pay good money to have a few minutes with that makeshift computer.

Did you see the Tales From the Darkside version? I think it cost about $3 to make.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

John Lithgow is cast as Jud Crandall in the Pet Semetary remake.

https://news.avclub.com/john-lithgow-to-play-the-creepy-old-guy-in-the-pet-sema-1825792332

Works for me.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

John Lithgow is cast as Jud Crandall in the Pet Semetary remake.

https://news.avclub.com/john-lithgow-to-play-the-creepy-old-guy-in-the-pet-sema-1825792332

Works for me.

"John Lithgow to play the creepy old guy in the Pet Sematary remake"

it's been years, but isn't Jud just a regular old guy who's nothing but friendly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, Jud is just a regular guy who knows a dark secret. Realistically, he's the one at fault in the whole story because he comes out and says "ayuh, up past the old pet cemetery, beyond the deadfall, there's an old miqmaq burial ground which brings the dead to life" and after that no amount of additional tales regarding why this is a horrible thing to do will stop that train before it hits Gagetown, USA.