Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

Shade can stealth and backstab like a champ and the only reason we don't see a ton of her is because waywatcher is broken in other hilarious ways.

i played one (1) game of WW and that regen is absolutely disgusting and i'm not surprised that everyone who is bad at this game gravitates to the character who's passive is an even better version of one of the best orange trinket traits. i feel it appropriate that one of the two green chests i got dropped a natural bond trinket when my wizard opened it. i hereby retire from elf at level 3, undefeated.

like, that's why the elf always runs off alone. because they totally can until one special or other locks them down, because Vermintide is the Special Enemy Handling Game, which the elf doesn't know if all they've played is elf, because they don't have to meaningfully play vermintide until they have to look at their health bars ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Slayer and Shade don't do anywhere close to the damage Bounty Hunter or Huntsman is doing, and honestly, I'm fine with the melee dps classes being better against bosses, since it feels like they're a bit underperforming as it is.

I don't really mind some classes being good against bosses, it's just a bit boring when they just instantly delete them in less than a second, you know.

Right. I don't argue there's no niche for boss killers, I just think that being a boss killer shouldn't be as casual as killing a Chaos Knight or a Packmaster. Right now, it is.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What's weird is that Waystalker would still be a totally good career choice without the health regen at all. Its just insane that the ranged class gets it instead of the Handmaiden, or really, that anyone does.

e: Actually, I think they really missed a step for the class-specific weapons and think they should use that a little more. I don't think that Zealots should be forced to use a flail or anything, but giving some classes weapons and not others should in some ways allow those weapons to be "stronger" than others. Take the Slayer Double-Axes: I think its totally reasonable that those weapons be really good at some niche. Not enough that you would feel forced to always pick them, but that picking the class should open up a playstyle. Hell, I'd be on board with more class-specific weapons in some ways.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 6, 2018

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
There comes a point where you have a lot more green gubbins than blue gubbins, and I'm not sure how to address the imbalance with rerolling properties being as important as it is.

On one hand, emperor chests are great. on the other hand: i need trash loot to melt down.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I legit don't know the point of green materials since the real limit on re-rolls is blues.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

I legit don't know the point of green materials since the real limit on re-rolls is blues.

Once you level enough, greens get really scarce.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The Regen ability on Waystalker is insane but it's definitely useful. I play WS the most and being able to rely on that boost and hand off healing pots to my teammates goes a really long way towards sustainability through the harder spots. That said it really would fit the Handmaiden more.

toasterwarrior posted:

I would assume that they would later make it so you can upgrade greens mats to blue mats, it's just strange that they didn't put in such an obviously needed resource dump right off the bat.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 6, 2018

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Of the 3 bows Kerillian gets which do you guys prefer?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Agrajag posted:

Hagbane is so overpoweringly better that it doesn't really matter, but in terms of actual feel I really like the starting bow.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Orv posted:

Hagbane is so overpoweringly better that it doesn't really matter, but in terms of actual feel I really like the starting bow.

Yeah the Hagbane seems pretty interesting but I've only seen 1 goon use it. The starter bow seems pretty good for piercing shots, the third one I have no clue about.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Agrajag posted:

I use longbow almost exclusively since she is supposed to be a special-killer, but if you are doing WS the shortbow ends up with an absurd 100 shots and does just a bit less damage in exchange for losing out at range.

Hagsbane is imo worthless but I haven't given it much of a shot. Supposedly it is amazing at killing bosses.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I use longbow almost exclusively since she is supposed to be a special-killer, but if you are doing WS the shortbow ends up with an absurd 100 shots and does just a bit less damage in exchange for losing out at range.

Hagsbane is imo worthless but I haven't given it much of a shot.

Seems like every other class that uses guns are better at specials killing than longbow though. Unless I'm using the longbow wrong.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Agrajag posted:

Seems like every other class that uses guns are better at specials killing than longbow though. Unless I'm using the longbow wrong.

That might be true, I just find that I am more vigilant at finding specials than most my teammates so I focus them down. If you can find a good black powder sniper then shortbow or hagsbane is probably better. Just my experience.

Bosses tend to get deleted at Vet level which is where I am so I don't normally bring weapons focusing on them.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Does bounty hunter's 2 health on crit talent affect melee?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

While I think a 1-1.5 minute fight on the chaos guy would be ideal as opposed to the 5 seconds it currently takes to stomp him with the right setup, I don’t know of a way to do that without either making him a horrible sponge with any other setup or removing every single boss killer setup, and I don’t think either of those is a good thing—it’s probably not a good situation, but the ability to delete roger in 5 seconds with a strength potioned hagbane or volley crossbow is absolutely vital because good loving luck dealing with the guaranteed horde that comes 10 seconds after roger in the dark on Dungeons, or spending two minutes fighting him without anyone getting punched off a cliff in summoner’s peak. That ability seems no less important in 2 because you can get a troll or Baby on Board in a narrow corridor with an accompanying horde that comes from behind not long after, with two grimoires, and that can be your second random boss of the game.

in short, gently caress that

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Orv posted:

Everytime i've tried it i've found it entirely "meh".
Maybe i'm missing something?
It just doesn't seem to compare well with gibbing columns of nasties with ease.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Hagsbane is imo worthless but I haven't given it much of a shot. Supposedly it is amazing at killing bosses.

The swift bow is a trap option. If you're spending ammo to kill commons you're literally playing the game wrong even if you have regenerating health and regenerating ammo. Commons don't kill the party, specials, bosses, berserkers and shielded/armored guys kill the party. Hagbane is excellent at softening up the problem targets even if it lacks the visceral thrill of plinking skavenslaves one by one.

Digirat posted:

While I think a 1-1.5 minute fight on the chaos guy would be ideal as opposed to the 5 seconds it currently takes to stomp him with the right setup, I don’t know of a way to do that without either making him a horrible sponge with any other setup or removing every single boss killer setup, and I don’t think either of those is a good thing—it’s probably not a good situation, but the ability to delete roger in 5 seconds with a strength potioned hagbane or volley crossbow is absolutely vital because good loving luck dealing with the guaranteed horde that comes 10 seconds after roger in the dark on Dungeons, or spending two minutes fighting him without anyone getting punched off a cliff in summoner’s peak. That ability seems no less important in 2 because you can get a troll or Baby on Board in a narrow corridor with an accompanying horde that comes from behind not long after, with two grimoires, and that can be your second random boss of the game.

Overall the sensibility of the game seems to be "okay, everyone can handle themselves against commons, so while you're dealing with that lets see what kind of hilarious combinations of specials you can deal with or more likely fail to deal with" and it feels like everytime I move away from some kind of special-assassination spec, or am not playing with at least two people on point with jumping on specials before they become a problem, the team gets spectacularly owned by specials and bosses like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOeh22T75ag

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 6, 2018

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Digirat posted:

Make Bosses (like Ribspreader) immune to crits, problem solved.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Captain Gordon posted:

i feel like this is a bad solution

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
also please add more helmets so i don't need to expose kruber's face to the world

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Digirat posted:

have fun dealing with a boss spawn in tunnels. guaranteed wipe without a boss killer imo.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Captain Gordon posted:

Or change crits so they're additive instead of multiplicative with the damage boosts. I suspect that crits are multiplicative damage that come after everything else, so damage-boosts and then critting just leads to absurd damage-stacking effects that lead to the instant-deletion. Its also most noticeable on the classes that have shotguns in part because every aspect of the blast crits.

Agrajag posted:

have fun dealing with a boss spawn in tunnels. guaranteed wipe without a boss killer imo.

Yeah, this is the other problem. Too many of the bosses rely on kiting so they're either easy but tedious to take down in large spaces, or fighting them in tightspaces just lead to getting pasted.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 6, 2018

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

also please add more helmets so i don't need to expose kruber's face to the world

I'm sorry Kruber, the barbute-style helm really doesn't work with your magnificent moustache.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Blinks77 posted:

Everytime i've tried it i've found it entirely "meh".
Maybe i'm missing something?
It just doesn't seem to compare well with gibbing columns of nasties with ease.

If you're just spamming it then it's basically just a lovely longbow. If you do a full draw and then shoot it at a group it'll kill entire hordes with a couple shots, plus a couple more for the specials or chaos warriors.

Unless they nerfed it finally, haven't leveled elf yet since the wipe.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
A "This character can only receive X damage from a single attack" trait on bosses/monsters would probably work better.

The more I fight them, the more I come to love the inclusion of elite threats mixed in with hordes; armored enemies and berserkers do a fantastic job of forcing players to be mindful of their positioning, and often demand an immediate response in the thick of combat in order to avoid damage. I want to see Fatshark expand on that concept in the future.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Are the four missions I can see right now all there is or do I unlock more after finishing each once.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Can anyone show/tell me about the boss deleting huntsman/Victor build? I am curious.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Are the four missions I can see right now all there is or do I unlock more after finishing each once.

There will be more missions once the game releases for real this Thursday. If you go to the lobby browser you can already see the names of those missions, though you can't join them obviously.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Randler posted:

There will be more missions once the game releases for real this Thursday. If you go to the lobby browser you can already see the names of those missions, though you can't join them obviously.

Im personally planning on waiting till Thursday before playing some more. Despite how much fun the game is the same maps over and over gets a bit boring for me.

Quickplay: *same map 4 times in a row before switching to another that repeats 4 times again* :negative:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

ChickenHeart posted:

A "This character can only receive X damage from a single attack" trait on bosses/monsters would probably work better.

The more I fight them, the more I come to love the inclusion of elite threats mixed in with hordes; armored enemies and berserkers do a fantastic job of forcing players to be mindful of their positioning, and often demand an immediate response in the thick of combat in order to avoid damage. I want to see Fatshark expand on that concept in the future.

Berserkers are good in theory but:

--barely discernable audio cue signifiying their presence/charge
--rubberbanding out of proportion to the animation on their steps in addition to a massive reach out of proportion to their weapon
--unstunnable, infinitely spammable uninterruptable 5 hit combo that finishes with a guard breaker...
--...that also 100-0's you on every difficulty

of those 4 things, at least two need to go. At least.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Captain Gordon posted:

Can anyone show/tell me about the boss deleting huntsman/Victor build? I am curious.

Huntsman's active ability makes Kruber reload super fast and makes every projectile he fires a crit. Crits pierce armor, and for some reason each pellet the Blunderbuss counts not only as a crit but also hit as hard as a Handgun shot. Considering that the Blunderbuss fires a lot of pellets and that Kruber also does not suffer from ranged damage distance falloff, this turns his Blunderbuss into a fast-firing spreadshot of extremely powerful bullets, which mulches bosses and everything.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

What's weird is that Waystalker would still be a totally good career choice without the health regen at all. Its just insane that the ranged class gets it instead of the Handmaiden, or really, that anyone does.

e: Actually, I think they really missed a step for the class-specific weapons and think they should use that a little more. I don't think that Zealots should be forced to use a flail or anything, but giving some classes weapons and not others should in some ways allow those weapons to be "stronger" than others. Take the Slayer Double-Axes: I think its totally reasonable that those weapons be really good at some niche. Not enough that you would feel forced to always pick them, but that picking the class should open up a playstyle. Hell, I'd be on board with more class-specific weapons in some ways.

It feels like they came up with specialization specific weapons for Bardin and locked his only fun melee weapon to slayer and all his drakefire to ironbreaker, then said gently caress it with everyone else. If they moved the blunderbuss to just the merc/foot knight that'd go a decent way in balancing the Huntsman, though he'd still be powerful. They also really dropped the ball with the ults and passives I think, it really feels like they ran out of ideas in some places. The ranger ult is trash. It's really only good for rezzing since the enemies will still target the rest of your group while you're in it and it offers no offensive utility. Kruber gets to go invis and do a billion damage... As you mentioned the way stalker regen passive should go to the handmaiden or the slayer.

I'd probably consider playing ranger more over the ironbreaker if they made the ult do something other than just invis one character and they gave him the no range damage fall off like Kruber's hunstman.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

He also stops using up ammo, so as long as you had any you'll be firing away.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
Unrelated to anything, but I was very disappointed to find out yesterday that witch hunter captain saltzpyre's level 15 talent that claims to restore health on taggable kills gives temp health instead.

It's not even close to bringing the support the elf's group regen 15 talent does :negative:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Captain Gordon posted:

Bounty Hunter gets a guaranteed crit on his next ranged attack every 8 seconds, or melee kill. His active is a single shot that does One Trillion Damage and can possibly crit as well, and the secondary fire on the repeater pistol counts as a single shot for the purposes of crit calcuation. So you have your crit off cooldown, drink a strength potion, F a boss and they go away, and if that doesn't work for some reason you kill one (1) thing and blast them with 8 crit repeater pistol shots which do not use ammo past level 15. Not "ammo cost is refuned" but "the bullets in the first shot are D&D magic missiles and a second followup charge fire can be done immediately with no animation"

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 6, 2018

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Willie Tomg posted:

Bounty Hunter gets a guaranteed crit on his next ranged attack every 8 seconds, or melee kill. His active is a single shot that does One Trillion Damage and can possibly crit as well, and the secondary fire on the repeater pistol counts as a single shot for the purposes of crit calcuation. So you have your crit off cooldown, drink a strength potion, F a boss and they go away, and if that doesn't work for some reason you kill one (1) thing and blast them with 8 crit repeater pistol shots which do not use ammo past level 15.
Does this crit apply to the rapier pistol? Is rapier BH a good build?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

The crit does apply, but the rapier pistol is poo poo. You'd probably be better off quick-switching to the actual pistols and firing off a round.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ChickenHeart posted:

The problem is that in the case of berserkers and plague monks, the "immediate response" is to blast them with a blunderbuss or grudgeraker and kill them outright, or just block and hope someone else takes care of it. Berserkers are really bad about sneaking in through a horde and getting 2-3 hits on you before you can identify it, because you're not hitstunning them period. If they don't change their look at least give them a distinctive audio queue like the Plague Monks. They need to be screaming the entire time like Serious Sam Kamakazes in a pitch or cadence that is discernible from the rest of the huddled mass of Eagles fans that want to titty twist you.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Agrajag posted:

So apparently they posted up pictures of the Helmgart heraldry skins and they're kinda meh.

Sienna's looks really slick, the others I can take or leave.

edit: since I love the Vermintide dialogue so much I was nerding out on lore and apparently "Dibna" is the Dwarf word for trying to improve something that's already perfect. That's a wonderful and (these days) pretty obscure reference but I love it. Half of Khazalid is onomatopoeias and slightly modified English words and it's great. I can't believe they blew up all this stuff in favour of Duardin Flamesworn Fyreslayers etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Yes. It used to be but is less so now, as the pistol has some brutal damage falloff now. It's mostly for a little extra damage between attack spams.

Which kinda sorta leads to my next question: does the Barkskin trait on trinkets still proc on recieving the temp HP from bloodlust or did it get nerfed? Because.... that changes my trinket priority.

• Locked thread