Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Larrymer posted:

Man, red delicious apples are the poo poo tier of apples. I usually buy honeycrisp but they were out at the store.

aint that the truth

gala apples are my go-to but i like fujis too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Applebees Appetizer posted:

hope you figure things out and get to where you wanna be.

Can I go back in time 15 years and beat the poo poo out of 16yo me?

I have issues, and all of them are my fault and 16yo me definitely deserves it.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

MomJeans420 posted:

Mom jeans are huge in all the hipster areas in LA, I wonder if that trend has spread across the country.

loving high waisted hipster jeans have been super trendy in Seattle for a while now. It seems like the early 2000's fashion has come back into style, which should never happen. I thought that poo poo looked dumb in highschool and it looks even worse now.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

slurry_curry posted:

loving high waisted hipster jeans have been super trendy in Seattle for a while now. It seems like the early 2000's fashion has come back into style, which should never happen. I thought that poo poo looked dumb in highschool and it looks even worse now.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

I say quit and take the grants, that way you can see how the workload is without getting overwhelmed. Working while schooling sucks in general. Unless you make way more than 7-14k and it'll put you in the starving student category.

When I went back to school I was worried it was going to kick my rear end, so I planned on not working. Turned out that I was even better at school as an adult so after 6 months I went back to work part time to pay bills.

Different topic: Anyone in here experienced with buying a time-share property? This would be a 4 week/yr ownership of a specific house, not a big resort type thing. I'm in the honeymoon phase of it seeming like a great idea so I'm looking for a reality smack. Taxes are fine but the HOA dues appear to be horrendous, and I don't know how the time is scheduled. I guess I should call the realtor and talk myself out of it. Also it appears hard to sell, the current owners paid $47k for this share a few years ago according to zillow, and it's been on the market for over a year and is now $23k after 2 price drops. I can easily afford that and we can rent it out if we don't use it all 4 weeks, but I'm sure we would.

Background: my family has rented the same beach house at new year's for the last 25 years but the owners are retiring so it's no longer available (they told us as we left this year that it was the last time). We also rent a different house for a week every summer, and try to get the same one every time. But it's never available on holidays. We like tradition and going to the same place over and over so the idea of having a place that's ours is appealing.

PLEASE MESSAGE ME AND DO NOT DO THIS, I OWN 5 WEEKS AT A TIMESHARE THAT I PAID BETWEEN $1-50 FOR. PLEASE MESSAGE ME. STOP. DO NOT BUY.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
JNCO just went under apparently.
Couldn't hold out just long enough for them to come back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nm posted:

JNCO just went under apparently.
Couldn't hold out just long enough for them to come back.

People seem very upset about it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

People seem very upset about it.

I can't tell if t his is a joke or Indiana things.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nm posted:

I can't tell if t his is a joke or Indiana things.

I legit overheard a conversation about it in San Diego.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So an Asiana supermarket just opened across the street from my new apartment, and they have milk for less than $2/gallon. I took this as a sign that I should only shop there from now on.

This morning I made the "sweet korean pancake" mix I bought last night. It had a yeast packet and a sweet filling mixed separately. They were good, but extremely heavy. Maybe I should not have eaten all eight of them? Oof owie my body

E: Even though I stopped drinking I now remember what beer shits are like, because this is exactly the same.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

spog posted:

Christ no.

The fact that they've lost $24k (and counting) in two years should be a good indication that it's a bad investment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42909256

Just loving LOL at anything you "own" that you can't use 11/12 of the year. Would you pay $24k divided by however long you plan to use it, (plus "maintenance", which never goes down, all year) to rent a bungalow for a month?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Yeah, I'm going to end up quitting and taking the grants. I'll get 650/month from the VA (one deployment - 50% GI bill coverage), and the grants will make up for the difference between that and rent/bills. Unfortunately I"ll still need to take out student loans, but it reduces my student loan load from 30k to 20k or less.

The most I'd be able to work is 3 days/month (4 week period), which is $500/month after 11% retirement contribution, and $360 after taxes. That's around $9k/year, which is more than the 7k/year in estimated grants. However, I can consider that as a $7k reduction in student loans, which would equal to about $1800 in deferred interest (making it close to the 9k), plus the free weekends for studying. Classes are 5 days a week.

Guess it makes sense for you then, given your schedule and work availability.

This is the stupidest trend in clothing, ever, short of the backwards/inside out thing some years (decades?) ago. It was literally a competition for making a thing/part of a thing bigger that never should have been large to begin with. Pretty much the donk of clothing, basically.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Fermented Tinal posted:

Owen Sound, which is everything the elephant's rear end in a top hat the locals claim it to be (apparently on old maps of Canada if you rotated them and looked at Ontario you'd see an elephant and its rear end in a top hat is Owen Sound).

At present I work in the print industry as a finishing assistant in the bindery of a print facility. I have two backup roles that put me on a forklift. It's shift work, and Dupont 12 hour nightmare rotation. Second largest employer in the city and if you ever wanted to know what it's like to see a bunch of boomers act like they're still in highschool stop on by.

I used to work in an office, designing analog and digital IC photomasks. I have experience with perl, tcl/tk, Tanner L-edit, Cadence, Hercules, and long list of things that doesn't include a degree and thusly negates the point of most of the list since I'll never get a job again as a physical designer without a degree. I'm hunting for jr dev positions in the $17/h range in the GTA, more would be better to offset gasoline. Something hand-holdy until I pick up whatever it is the cool kids do in software these days. As for the commute, it's very roughly on par with a commute I used to do from Kitchener to Toronto for the physical design gig. What's funny to me, is that commute was done in a '07 Nissan Versa hatchback, though that one was blue and had an automatic and mine is silver and has a stick.

Certified for any other heavy equipment? Want to get into the mining industry? There's work a bit north if you are interested, at the least I could probably get your resume past the screening point.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Siochain posted:

Certified for any other heavy equipment? Want to get into the mining industry? There's work a bit north if you are interested, at the least I could probably get your resume past the screening point.

No certifications for anything other than my forklift and scissor lift tickets but I have experience with backhoes, front-end loaders, and excavators.

I'm open to working in the mining industry if it doesn't see me in some tunnel in the ground because I am not good with tunnels. Also I'm not sure if it would fit in with my goal of "normal work week."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I guess used JNCOs are pretty valuable?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

I guess used JNCOs are pretty valuable?

Do you have to wash off the track marks?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Fermented Tinal posted:

No certifications for anything other than my forklift and scissor lift tickets but I have experience with backhoes, front-end loaders, and excavators.

I'm open to working in the mining industry if it doesn't see me in some tunnel in the ground because I am not good with tunnels. Also I'm not sure if it would fit in with my goal of "normal work week."

Our tunnels are v.large :P Kinda like <insertrandomforumposter's> moms vagina. There are surface jobs to. It is a rotation, but most people in the area work one, so its not too bad. Its normal work week for up here. And believe me, 5/2 sucks loving rear end. At least up here. I'd kill for a 4/3 or 8/6 so I have enough time off to actually do things.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

LloydDobler posted:

Different topic: Anyone in here experienced with buying a time-share property? This would be a 4 week/yr ownership of a specific house, not a big resort type thing. I'm in the honeymoon phase of it seeming like a great idea so I'm looking for a reality smack.
I literally don't know a single person literally that has not eventually regretted a time share "purchase."

Be especially wary of fees for "repairs and maintenance" on the contract - here is a local story where it was forecast to be $500/year and it's now many, many, MANY $thousands$. The timeshare "owners" went to court repeatedly and lost.
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/timeshar...weeks-1.3776353

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'm down 30lbs since January, thanks ketogenic diet!
Now I spend all of my free time having wet dreams about deep-dish pizza and beer

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Siochain posted:

Our tunnels are v.large :P Kinda like <insertrandomforumposter's> moms vagina. There are surface jobs to. It is a rotation, but most people in the area work one, so its not too bad. Its normal work week for up here. And believe me, 5/2 sucks loving rear end. At least up here. I'd kill for a 4/3 or 8/6 so I have enough time off to actually do things.

I'm 3/4, ten hour days and not the greatest pay, but it's awesome and I've never been happier.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I don't want to flip between days and nights anymore.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

BraveUlysses posted:

aint that the truth

gala apples are my go-to but i like fujis too

I like jazz and kanzi a lot- super crisp and juicy, strong taste and sweet. Wish I could find a place to get cuttings/saplings but they are commercial ones. Planting one thats meant to be close to a jazz this year though, as well as more cherries and some plums.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

I don't want to flip between days and nights anymore.

There are day-only jobs, but you gotta put in the time. If you aren't a complete fuckwit, that time isn't overly long. I totally get it if its not your bag, but the jobs up here pay $$$. Most guys underground are clearing 6 figures easy, and if you want O/T, you can usually get it. I know a few guys who push 250k a year in a non-supervisory position. Benefits are solid to. Just throwing the offer out there :)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Some guys are leaving to go work with Rolls Royce, going from a 3 week rotating nights afters days to continental shifts, some hosed up 28 day 2 days 2 afters 3 nights 2 off kinda poo poo if you're not familiar. I can't immediately bring to mind a number you'd have to pay me to do that.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Some guys are leaving to go work with Rolls Royce, going from a 3 week rotating nights afters days to continental shifts, some hosed up 28 day 2 days 2 afters 3 nights 2 off kinda poo poo if you're not familiar. I can't immediately bring to mind a number you'd have to pay me to do that.

It would have to be a pretty substantial sum to be worth a 7 day work week with shifting hours. I'd need benefits, huge shift differentials, and a stipend for poo poo tons of coffee/melatonin

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Four nights, four off, three days, two off, three nights, four off, four days, seven off. The "offs" are 24h blocks of time that start at either 7am or 7pm depending and the rotation spans 28 days.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I definitely used to have a pair of JNCO's that each leg was bigger than the waist. I think the most ridiculous ones were the knock off ones I had that were red velour.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

Four nights, four off, three days, two off, three nights, four off, four days, seven off. The "offs" are 24h blocks of time that start at either 7am or 7pm depending and the rotation spans 28 days.

Yeah mine shifts are like 4-5-5-4 rotation or something. So 4 days on 5 days off 5 nights on 4 days off then repeat at the opposite. I’m actually debating going underground and working that solely for the money

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Worth it if you can steal a Roller One Piece At A Time.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

RR as in Trent, not silver ghost.

But your point still stands.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

All aboard the SABRe train plane!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

You're going to need a much bigger lunchbox.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

I'm down 30lbs since January, thanks ketogenic diet!
Now I spend all of my free time having wet dreams about deep-dish pizza and beer

Do you have pee test strips by your toilet like I do? :v:

Not mine I swear. My wife has been very successful doing keto for about the same time period. She doesn't drink beer anyway, but no bread is tough for her. Though frankly some of the alternatives she's found are good enough to eat even outside of the diet. Cauliflower mac n cheese is pretty delicious. Ditto the shirataki noodles with homemade alfredo sauce.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

angryrobots posted:

Do you have pee test strips by your toilet like I do? :v:

Not mine I swear. My wife has been very successful doing keto for about the same time period. She doesn't drink beer anyway, but no bread is tough for her. Though frankly some of the alternatives she's found are good enough to eat even outside of the diet. Cauliflower mac n cheese is pretty delicious. Ditto the shirataki noodles with homemade alfredo sauce.

It's rough going, but I ditched the strips after my second or third run of ketogenic diets, I go by feel now. I probably should still use them to be sure, but I can no longer borrow a bottle from the hospital, on account of not working there anymore

Low carb food is pretty good, but a lot of my meals end up being some version of pork stirfry because :effort: I love Miracle Noodles noodles, but their "rice" has an uncomfortable texture to it
Your wife should check out Carbquik. Sure it's expensive as hell for biscuit mix, doesn't cook right, and is impossible to find in stores. However, those problems all melt away when you're eating a 9in pan pizza that has like ~13g net carbs in the entire thing

E: checked my pans

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 7, 2018

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

She says there's a thing of carbquick in the cabinet that she has yet to try. Have you tried cloudbread yet (made from eggs and cream cheese)?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Long Beach is okay. The Queen Mary is cool. Gonna go exploring shortly.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

angryrobots posted:

She says there's a thing of carbquick in the cabinet that she has yet to try. Have you tried cloudbread yet (made from eggs and cream cheese)?

Not yet, but a trip to grocery will fix that in the next day or so. I love bread so much that even a facsimile of it is enough to get me excited!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The pike, cogregation, beachwood bbq, hole mole, Roscoe's Chicken and waffles all good places in LB.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

jamal posted:

The pike, cogregation, beachwood bbq, hole mole, Roscoe's Chicken and waffles all good places in LB.

It's rhyno, dude. His high point of socal has been disney. He's not gonna enjoy it.

Also, LA is still so much better than SD. But that may also be in large part to me hating being around large chunks of military.

Rhyno, go to LA and go to the comedy store from about 9pm to 1am.

Edit: almost got all my poo poo together for Sebring next week. Camping from Wed night to Sunday morning. Lows will be in the 40s. My liver is going to commit suicide.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We got tacos in LB at another goon suggested place. They were excellent.

I doubt we will have time for the Comedy Store we have a full slate now that we're doing the Peterson.

Our friends are taking care of our cats and our siamese is not too happy. Poor guy probably thinks we abandoned him. And we're still like 8 days from home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fermented Tinal posted:

Owen Sound, which is everything the elephant's rear end in a top hat the locals claim it to be (apparently on old maps of Canada if you rotated them and looked at Ontario you'd see an elephant and its rear end in a top hat is Owen Sound).

At present I work in the print industry as a finishing assistant in the bindery of a print facility. I have two backup roles that put me on a forklift. It's shift work, and Dupont 12 hour nightmare rotation. Second largest employer in the city and if you ever wanted to know what it's like to see a bunch of boomers act like they're still in highschool stop on by.

I used to work in an office, designing analog and digital IC photomasks. I have experience with perl, tcl/tk, Tanner L-edit, Cadence, Hercules, and long list of things that doesn't include a degree and thusly negates the point of most of the list since I'll never get a job again as a physical designer without a degree. I'm hunting for jr dev positions in the $17/h range in the GTA, more would be better to offset gasoline. Something hand-holdy until I pick up whatever it is the cool kids do in software these days. As for the commute, it's very roughly on par with a commute I used to do from Kitchener to Toronto for the physical design gig. What's funny to me, is that commute was done in a '07 Nissan Versa hatchback, though that one was blue and had an automatic and mine is silver and has a stick.

Too bad you aren't in the states.

I'm also on the printing industry. Almost none of our digital guys or pre press people have degrees, just practical experience, and good people are always needed.

I know of a few jobs in the industry that are likely open in your general area. Shoot me an email choppeds10 at the google mail.

Leica, any word on st Pete tickets?

• Locked thread