Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
It's not "all of us". Even if one intends to be a developer for life (nothing wrong with it) social skills are definitely incredibly useful. Dare I say as important as programming skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

pigdog posted:

It's not "all of us". Even if one intends to be a developer for life (nothing wrong with it) social skills are definitely incredibly useful. Dare I say equally as important as programming skills.

Probably more so, to be quite honest. What can one really good developer accomplish? You aren't engineering your own pipeline for data at any appreciable speed. Certainly not doing UI work. Maybe writing a REST API to feed a front-end but you still have to hammer out contracts and such to communicate with the rest of the system if there's anything beyond the most very simplistic CRUD functionality.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

There’s nothing wrong with it - everyone has their spot. If it’s in your purview it can be useful, if not it’s not. I do take offense to “neckbeard with a paycheck” as a pejorative cause that’s all of us and if you don’t think it applies to you then you are wrong as hell.

Just lol if you think being able to shave, clean and groom daily as well as being able to handle social situations isn't extremely important in having upward mobility in any computer touching career (or, to be honest, any career).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

rt4 clearly was referring to people who couldn't communicate well with others.

So...

Pollyanna posted:

as a pejorative cause that’s all of us and if you don’t think it applies to you then you are wrong as hell.

That’s a measure of product-level engagement and social skills rather than just engineering.

...this is very wrong.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Why is there anything wrong with "neckbeard with a paycheck" as long as the neckbeard understands goals of the team and works well alone and with others to meet them?

Why are you insisting on taking offense here? Given the context of training how to relate to business concerns and the folks who have them, stuffing ‘understands the goals of the team’ in there is missing the point.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

JawnV6 posted:

Why are you insisting on taking offense here? Given the context of training how to relate to business concerns and the folks who have them, stuffing ‘understands the goals of the team’ in there is missing the point.

rt4 posted:

I guess when I think "neckbeard" I'm not thinking of someone who understand the goals of the team and works well with others to meet them.

We already addressed this why are you bringing it up again dude lol I didn't "miss the point", neckbeard is a dumb term to use in this situation. Period. The point otherwise was fine.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Just lol if you think being able to shave, clean and groom daily as well as being able to handle social situations isn't extremely important in having upward mobility in any computer touching career (or, to be honest, any career).

And it’s surprising to me how few people can actually handle this

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

We already addressed this why are you bringing it up again dude lol I didn't "miss the point", neckbeard is a dumb term to use in this situation. Period. The point otherwise was fine.
Maybe let context span a sentence or two, perhaps even across a line break, and link the training to the, uh, slur that you're really up in arms about.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

JawnV6 posted:

Maybe let context span a sentence or two, perhaps even across a line break, and link the training to the, uh, slur that you're really up in arms about.

The context makes my quote even worse you dolt. It insinuates that all the people with those issues are neckbeards. Guess what, they aint!

I was suggesting there's nothing wrong with being a dude who sits in the corner and writes code as long as you can communicate it. I could have said "staff level programmer" but you're really blowing this poo poo out of proportion and for what? Literally nothing beyond quoting the neckbeard part even touched on me being up in arms with the word choice or the connotation.

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 6, 2018

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Minor derail to this: So I applied, within 12 hours got phone staged and was at the end of the phone interview i'll be progressing to second stage :woop: straight to DevOps manager role too.

Now for my spanner to contribute: Code is a massive loving liability; each line carries a tax of maintenance, communication, QA and potential future impact. Ergo: code monkeys are inherently full of risk as they will just throw poo poo at a wall to satisfy requirements. If you can solve problems by deleting code, or avoiding code and then communicating that benefit then your/your orgs world gets a little bit better. That all requires huge amount of social skills, thinking outside of your code repository, and understanding where the real pain lies.

There's caveats as with everything; you can't add new features by erasing another :v: but you can gain a greater perspective on the people and the system just by talking before smashing your fingers on a keyboard.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

I was suggesting there's nothing wrong with being a dude who sits in the corner and writes code as long as you can communicate it.

So, in some abstract sense, you would be a fan of teaching technical people how to talk to business people and learning to tell them not about the neat software you built but how it's useful and how it makes the business better.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

JawnV6 posted:

learning to tell them not about the neat software you built but how it's useful and how it makes the business better.

While maybe ideal, why does everyone need to do this? If you're an engineer good at explaining technical things with zero interest in talking about """Bussiness poo poo""" just explain the technical to your PM or whatever and let them explain the rest.

return0
Apr 11, 2007
This is the oldie career advice thread. If you care about advancement in any technical track (as an IC or manger) then it's wise to be mindful of the broader impact of your work on the business, and to learn how to communicate its value in an accessible way.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

While maybe ideal, why does everyone need to do this? If you're an engineer good at explaining technical things with zero interest in talking about """Bussiness poo poo""" just explain the technical to your PM or whatever and let them explain the rest.

This statement is a red flag in my interviewees.

Knowing the business poo poo and being able to discuss it intelligently helps you find context in what you are doing and to build code that actually meets your customers needs and make to helpful recommendations. Just hammering out what they tell you to do without thought demonstrates no initiative or interest, frequently wastes time as you implement the wrong thing based on a bad spec, or implement it in a way that harms the overall function of the app.

Regardless of their technical skills, I've found people like this to be so consistently damaging to projects that I push for code review and governance mostly to protect the project tech debt and my productivity from such loose cannons and hotshots (not that it isn't a good practice anyway, but my early experiences with particularly lovely code monkeys make my drive to accomplish this rather personal).

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
what if you don't want to advance down those paths, tho

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Knowing the business poo poo and being able to discuss it intelligently

Well, of course. Domain knowledge is absolutely not the same as talking about your work in a fluffy, sales-pitchy type way and pandering to execs with details about the market and your competition which are the vibes I was getting from other people's advice. Sure, there are paths for the latter. But only the former is necessary in my opinion. I'd be glad to elaborate with what I'm trying to convey but I think we're all on a different page and confusing domain knowledge versus something like depth and breadth of the market you're writing software for.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Then there's no paths to advance down.

Sitting in a corner churning out code for no purpose is not useful, an engineer above the most junior level needs to be able to think about the goals they're trying to accomplish

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
This is probably the most spergtastic conversation that could have resulted from me trying to say "there's nothing wrong with wanting to be just an engineer for life". That is also, in my opinion, a perfectly valid topic to discuss in this thread, is it not?

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

This is probably the most spergtastic conversation that could have resulted from me trying to say "there's nothing wrong with wanting to be just an engineer for life". That is also, in my opinion, a perfectly valid topic to discuss in this thread, is it not?

Engineer for life doesn't mean not caring about what you're trying to build's goals though.

There is something wrong with not wanting to care about the point of your work if you want any career growth (or do something useful).

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Domain knowledge is absolutely not the same as talking about your work in a fluffy, sales-pitchy type way and pandering to execs with details about the market and your competition which are the vibes I was getting from other people's advice.

Knowing how your work impacts the business is domain knowledge. The goal isn't to fellate an executive, it's to have situational awareness of your work's role and impact.

Which, coming full circle, has the side effect of looking pretty drat good if you can confidently put a dollar sign or positive influence as a result of your work on a resume.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Big tech companies all have engineering ladders, so you can continue to get promoted to higher levels without having to transfer to management. However, if you look at the descriptions for the tiers of the ladder, as you get to higher levels, the scope and vagueness of the problems you're expected to tackle increases, while the actual direct code contributions you make generally decreases. The super-high-level engineers aren't spending their time churning out code; they're figuring out what kinds of designs will actually work for the problems the business needs to solve, working to generate a spec, writing design docs, and making sure the lower-level engineers who actually do the implementation aren't blocked, confused, overworked, etc. There's still a lot of highly-technical work there, especially in terms of design docs and specs, it's just not code.

If you want to continue writing code, there'll generally be a place for you on the ladder. Big tech needs a lot of code, after all, and there are a lot of people who just want to write code. However, "just write code" is not sufficient to get promoted past a certain point, so in a sense your career will stagnate. You can still work on interesting projects, be inordinately well-paid compared to your average office worker, etc., but the scope of your responsibilities and compensation will not increase. Plenty of people are just fine with that; others want to climb as high as they can. If you're confident you know what you want, then by all means go for it and forget about the other options.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If you want to continue writing code, there'll generally be a place for you on the ladder. Big tech needs a lot of code, after all, and there are a lot of people who just want to write code. However, "just write code" is not sufficient to get promoted past a certain point, so in a sense your career will stagnate. You can still work on interesting projects, be inordinately well-paid compared to your average office worker, etc., but the scope of your responsibilities and compensation will not increase. Plenty of people are just fine with that; others want to climb as high as they can. If you're confident you know what you want, then by all means go for it and forget about the other options.

:perfect: This is literally exactly what I was trying to say, in a way more passive-aggressive and less succinct way. I blame having closed too many lil' win tickets too quickly and having nothing to do in the backlog for the rest of the day. And avoiding a migration to JUnit5.

The super-high-level engineers aren't spending their time churning out code; they're figuring out what kinds of designs will actually work for the problems the business needs to solve, working to generate a spec, writing design docs, and making sure the lower-level engineers who actually do the implementation aren't blocked, confused, overworked, etc. There's still a lot of highly-technical work there, especially in terms of design docs and specs, it's just not code.

Also, you have just summed up why my current team is failing to operate at an even remotely efficient level. A discussion we've had with the new lead, actually. It's insanely good when someone gets hired for a position above you that can actually address problems, and all of that ^ on the managerial and organizational size is what our VP is totally neglecting to do. He isn't even a team lead. He's a renegade coder with a fancy title.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

You're free to limit your career however you see fit. I won't stop you!

Part of rising to solid senior level and tech leadership is appreciating the business value of you & your teams technical efforts and being able to translate across that layer. Hardline stance is fine I suppose, but don't come whining back to the thread when a "weaker" coder rises faster because they understand how to communicate business value uhhh "pander to execs."

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Why are you still posting about a hypothetical I raised that is literally unrelated to myself, whomst has expressed interest in becoming a product manager because I see how poorly interfacing between developers is across all of my jobs and teams so far? You're giving poo poo to someone who posted this:

pigdog posted:

It's not "all of us". Even if one intends to be a developer for life (nothing wrong with it) social skills are definitely incredibly useful. Dare I say as important as programming skills.

Probably more so, to be quite honest. What can one really good developer accomplish? You aren't engineering your own pipeline for data at any appreciable speed. Certainly not doing UI work. Maybe writing a REST API to feed a front-end but you still have to hammer out contracts and such to communicate with the rest of the system if there's anything beyond the most very simplistic CRUD functionality.

On the same page you're posting on.

I mean lmfao ffs I've done nothing but complain about how my old team lead cannot communicate specs and requirements and chews me out for trying to speak to other teams and do specs on my own and improve that process so we have less tech debt and team churn but yes I'm the problem!!!!

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 7, 2018

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Why are you still posting about a hypothetical I raised that is literally unrelated to myself, whomst has expressed interest in becoming a product manager because I see how poorly interfacing between developers is across all of my jobs and teams so far? You're giving poo poo to someone who posted this:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/whomst

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Whomstdve thought you'd live up to your poster name in one mere post.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Whomstdve thought you'd live up to your poster name in one mere post.

Whomstd've thought thou wouldst be more deserving mine moniker.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

I mean lmfao ffs I've done nothing but complain about how my old team lead cannot communicate specs and requirements and chews me out for trying to speak to other teams and do specs on my own and improve that process so we have less tech debt and team churn but yes I'm the problem!!!!
I can respond to your hypothetical without personally impugning *you* the poster. If you continue to have this type of communication issue, I do agree that it's best to work those out with persons you speak with IRL.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Watching y'all argue past each other is getting real old. Everyone's always wrong on the Internet, there's no need to try to prove it. Especially since y'all's proofs are always wrong too.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Hey here's the original post that you quoted:

rt4 posted:

Everyone in this line of work with career ambitions beyond "neckbeard with a paycheck" should read it.

This entire conversation started with the same if, inverted. You're talking past each other, as far as I can tell in large part because you may have misinterpreted the original post. Trivially rephrase the above as "if you have career ambitions beyond narrowly scoped technical work", and let's set aside the neckbeard term. Are we all cool?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Steve French posted:

Are we all cool?

No, you're all neckbeards

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

rt4 posted:

No, you're all neckbeards

Ahem, I am a bureaucrat, thank you very much

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Steve French posted:

Ahem, I am a bureaucrat, thank you very much

A person can be multiple kinds of garbage.

I have nothing against bureaucrats.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

pigdog posted:

what's the point, there's no cross-transfer of skills from the social domain to the programming one. as someone who's forced to think from the company's viewpoint, i think one's more useful to the organization when their self-development time is dedicated to their coding skills.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Fututor Magnus posted:

what's the point, there's no cross-transfer of skills from the social domain to the programming one. as someone who's forced to think from the company's viewpoint, i think one's more useful to the organization when their self-development time is dedicated to their coding skills.
You have to work with other people. You are going to get vague specs and you need to know how to get the answers you need. You need to know how to work with other coders because it's rare that you'll be working on code that you, and only you, work on. You will get dragged around and need to learn how to say no. Someone from the business comes over and asks you questions about the thing you built. There will come a day when someone's making a very bad decision and you need to stop them and convince them that it's a bad decision. Et cetera.

Programming is not done in a vacuum. Because it's done with other people, skills dealing with those people are good to have and develop. And if you genuinely think that these are all unimportant (or not skills), I'd rather work with people who are strong with these skills than a brilliant coder who's bad at all of the soft skills, and I think most people would, too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Conway's law:

quote:

"organizations which design systems ... are constrained to produce designs which are copies of the communication structures of these organizations."

Software development is fundamentally a social activity. There's just no getting around that. If you want to contribute at a level beyond coding to someone else's specs, your soft skills are what are going to make the difference.

And yes, you can spend the rest of your career just programming, but that can work against you. If you're looking for a job with twenty years of work history but only five to ten years of experience, you're going to have a tough search.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Steve French posted:

Are we all cool?

I'm cool. You and TMA are right.

Plus, I'd rather go back to detailing how poor upper management is to not take action and try to rectify how egregiously our """VP""" is absolutely cannibalizing not just an entire team, product, or vertical at this point but really the entire sub-organization of the company. It's pretty much the exact example of above, a complete lack of business understanding or value added or prioritization on his behalf. A direct quote when we had our shouting match was "You don't need to understand the details of the business side - you need to abstract these things away sometimes and write code".

Yesterday, some of our sales and sales engineering team were in the bathroom while I was also in the bathroom and they asked "Hey man, how are you guys progressing on that product roadmap? When can we start pushing some of the things on it, we're eager to get in front of clients!" and I just chortled briefly before asking what product roadmap they were talking about because we aren't at all privy to that and evidently neither is our lead.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Fututor Magnus posted:

what's the point, there's no cross-transfer of skills from the social domain to the programming one. as someone who's forced to think from the company's viewpoint,

Is "the company" whose viewpoint you are thinking from one of those sweat shop type environments where devs are expected to scribe designs into code for 12 hours a day and expressly forbidden from taking part in the design process, caring about the context of the work, discussing the needs of customer, or having ideas?

Because that's usually what I find when I hear someone say that.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Watching y'all argue past each other is getting real old. Everyone's always wrong on the Internet, there's no need to try to prove it. Especially since y'all's proofs are always wrong too.

I legit can't keep track of what "hypothetical" neckbeard NPC's we're discussing GWH has/has not hosed and when I see poo poo advice I'm going to drop commentary. If that happens to be a hypothetical "bad" dev I fail to see a problem in explaining why a prevalent viewpoint in our industry is wrong and GWH is free to not take attacks on his hypothetical creations personally. I find the suggestion that I should be keeping a spreadsheet of exactly what dev practices are in posts I'm not quoting is laughable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I dunno, man, it's just kinda boring to read.