Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Mu Zeta posted:

Confirmed. Pacific Rim only made $14 million in Japan.

Pacific Rim would've been better if the Kaiju were just the actors in costumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I mean yeah, but intentionally racist is still racist. Frankly I don't trust a lot of white writers/actors to handle material like that.

The Office did it well (because it had poc in the writers room), but most don't.

And really my only complaint was bringing Ping back because it ruined his character arc in a way.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Can't remember if I posted it already but Michael's arc is already pretty hosed. Yes, he married Holly and moves away. He accomplishes this by uprooting her life and planting her back in Scranton, slowly breaking down her existing relationship, and wearing her down into agreeing to date him again. Michael's a piece of poo poo but the show plays all this as romantic.

At least Roy was an rear end in a top hat. AJ seems like a good guy every time he's in a scene.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Wasen't the "Once upon a Weinstein" episode of Family Guy banned from airing on Fox back in the day for some inane reason or another? Watching it now it's probably one of the worse of the "good" Family Guy episodes and considering what the show does nowadays it's just quaint.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Koalas March posted:

I mean yeah, but intentionally racist is still racist. Frankly I don't trust a lot of white writers/actors to handle material like that.

The Office did it well (because it had poc in the writers room), but most don't.

This is pretty racist.

The whole "non-whites are so alien that only non-whites can write them" mindset just leads to tokenism, not real progress in how people are being represented.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

sassassin posted:

This is pretty racist.

The whole "non-whites are so alien that only non-whites can write them" mindset just leads to tokenism, not real progress in how people are being represented.

I said that I don't trust white people to handle racism from a pocs point of view. Not that they should never write black characters ever.

How many muscles did you pull reaching so hard??

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Gorilla Salad posted:

Wasn't there also something like that with a talk show giving cars to everyone and then they all got hit with tax bills for accepting such large gifts as well as all the costs of registering and insuring their brand new, expensive cars?

I think it was Oprah, but I'm sure at least one other show did it, too.

I haven't seen her in a long time, but I know Denise Leveque who was on the last episode of The Price is Right that Bob Barker hosted. She won both showcases in the Showcase Showdown worth over $140,000.00. Two expensive cars, a Mediterranean cruise, big TV, grill, some cash. Tax bill came to 40%.

I know she sold the Vette on Ebay. The listing had a ton of pics of her wearing the outfit she wore on the show. Not sure what she did with the Caddy.

http://www.wifr.com/home/headlines/7910022.html

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

sassassin posted:

This is pretty racist.

It's more about how white people, never having actually experienced the myriad ways systemic racism affects non-whites, cannot adequately write how a minority might genuinely feel about growing up in a racist society.

On the plus side, now that we're seeing some good success with stories written by, or at least with the input of, non-whites, maybe we're going to finally start seeing broader representation of everybody in society in stories/shows/plays/etc.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

bobjr posted:

I always thought the Dundee's episode was supposed to be intentionally cringey, considering the only person who seemed to enjoy it was a super drunk Pam.

The Office episode I think goes too far is the one where Michael does his best to ruin Phyllis's wedding. I think only Scott's Tots is harder to watch cringe wise.

I've been doing a rewatch too and another where michael goes too far that i'd forgotten is the one where phyllis gets to be office santa. it got overshadowed in my memory cause it's also the one where it's revealed that the company is getting sold but the first half is michael at his most childish just because he didn't get to be office santa for the party

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

I've been doing a rewatch too and another where michael goes too far that i'd forgotten is the one where phyllis gets to be office santa. it got overshadowed in my memory cause it's also the one where it's revealed that the company is getting sold but the first half is michael at his most childish just because he didn't get to be office santa for the party

There was a Halloween episode where he was mad at Darryl for going over his head and he ruins that party too. I think that's the one where Kelly calls him out on ruining every party with his petty selfishness.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Koalas March posted:

And really my only complaint was bringing Ping back because it ruined his character arc in a way.

Eh, I disagree. Michael is so emotionally immature that when confronted with this sense of immense sadness, he dredges up old comedy routines to combat it and it’s met with such disdain. No one wants to see Ping. No one likes Ping. To Michael it’s a silly harmless character with funny voice. To everyone else, it’s super racist. Except for David Brent. Another rear end in a top hat who’s oblivious to his world.

Ping works for me in that scene because it’s such an old hat joke that Jim knows that something is deeply deeply wrong with him, and that’s when he goes to talk to him.

It’s still bad and Michael is wrong, but it’s a good character moment.

I love Michael’s character arc because it’s not a full redeeming one. He improves himself but he’s still deeply, deeply flawed. I mean he ditches his entire office because he doesn’t want to say goodbye to them on the last episode. They don’t care much, but he acts solely out of his own personal emotions. For a show that got cartoony later on, it’s fairly realistic. Michael isn’t some changed man. He’s just...a little bit better.

Michael Scott might be one of my favorite characters in TV for how weird and complex he is. A complete monster in some episodes, a sweet heart in others, and somewhere in between for the rest. I watch the show way too much as my go to, and I never get tired of watching Michael flounder around Dunder Mifflin.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Remember when he said "You sold us all on Andy, a product no one wanted" and then life imitated art and the show runners tried to shove Ed Helms down our throats, only that time really no one wanted him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He was the most “Star” actor they had at the moment. He’s the worst part of the show.

Every moment with him and Erin is just horrific. I’m glad they dropped that poo poo eventually. It was just creepy.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Remember when he said "You sold us all on Andy, a product no one wanted" and then life imitated art and the show runners tried to shove Ed Helms down our throats, only that time really no one wanted him.

Ed Helms ruined Andy. He left like 3 times to work on films so they had to write around that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Andy's character oscillates between multiple caricatures of itself over the course of the show, the only constant between them all is that other than his time in Stanford, he is utterly unlikable. Turning him into a frontrunner was insane.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Erin and Kevin would go from functioning adult to mentally challenged idiot in the span of a single episode. And oddly enough I don't mind their characters most of the time. Remember when Erin pulled her hair in front of her face "to make a room" because she found out Andy was engaged to Angela? Because that's how a mature adult handles something. Or when Kevin tried to "fix" a dead turtle and everyone just went along with it? Or when Erin put on a sock puppet show to ask Andy out again....and then we had a talking head from Kevin about how he wished the puppets talked about letters? Then he hosed up saying the alphabet.

Man that show went downhill once Michael left.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Like someone said, it gets real cartoonish. But the decline started before Steve Carrell left imo. I think even in the worst seasons there are nuggets of gold and no truly irredeemable episodes though. Except for the clip show. I couldn't loving believe they did a clip show. I've still never watched it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wait, when was there a clip show?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Banker_(The_Office)

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Season 6 Ep 14

Efb

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wait, when was there a clip show?

You don’t remember that? It was a real horror show! It happened like this...

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah the fact that they did a clip show -- well into the era where you could easily look up "Best Jim/Dwight Pranks" on YouTube, or binge-watch the DVDs of every previous season -- was freaking bizarre. I wonder if that was the last clip show ever?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Wasen't the "Once upon a Weinstein" episode of Family Guy banned from airing on Fox back in the day for some inane reason or another? Watching it now it's probably one of the worse of the "good" Family Guy episodes and considering what the show does nowadays it's just quaint.

It was basically banned for being anti-Semitic. You’re right, it’s nothing compared to the kind of jokes they do now. I remember Family Guy being sooooo controversial when it first came out, and now it seems largely ignored. I think the only one that caused a stink was the abortion episode a few years back.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sarcopenia posted:

I loathed this so much and still do. But it ain't stronger than a golden banana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D14-EJHaJIg

I remember watching that on Fox Kids. I'd never played any of the Donkey Kong games (didn't have a Nintendo) but I didn't think they were ever resolved by dancing as much as that cartoon seemed to be.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

big cummers ONLY posted:

Can't remember if I posted it already but Michael's arc is already pretty hosed. Yes, he married Holly and moves away. He accomplishes this by uprooting her life and planting her back in Scranton, slowly breaking down her existing relationship, and wearing her down into agreeing to date him again. Michael's a piece of poo poo but the show plays all this as romantic.

At least Roy was an rear end in a top hat. AJ seems like a good guy every time he's in a scene.

You are correct that every time AJ is shown on camera he seems like a good guy but I disagree with pretty much everything else.

-Michael did not "uproot her life and plant her back in Scranton". Holly coming back to Scranton was a temporary assignment while Toby was on jury duty. The show implies that Michael asking Jo for a favor in an earlier episode is the reason she comes back but Michael didn't directly have anything to do with it. He is even surprised when Toby announces it in the conference room.

-The root of the relationship problems between Holly and AJ are specifically shown to be the fact that AJ would not commit to Holly. They are planning on building a house together and he still wouldn't put a ring on it. She even gives him a "propose by New Years" ultimatum that she doesn't immediately follow through with. Later it is Holly that tells AJ that she wants to go on a break obviously due to the fact that she still has feelings for Michael.

-And as for "wearing her down" the stuff Michael does from the time that Holly comes back to her taking a break from AJ consists of pouring coffee on her Woody, yelling at her in front of the whole office and being aggressive to Kevin about not following through on his New Year's resolution (that he later apologizes for).

Michael is absolutely a piece of poo poo in a lot of ways but the way you have tried to characterize him as a master manipulator is wrong.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Not a master manipulator but at least a guy who attempts to manipulate things in ways that I think are creepy. You make good points but I am still uncomfortable with how it all plays out. I shouldn't have even opened up the convo since it's not really an example of a show aging :smith:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The scene where michael bring out the tape of him being on a children's show and saying when he is old he just wants to be married and have kids, because his kids can't say no to being his friends is sublime.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Zedd posted:

The scene where michael bring out the tape of him being on a children's show and saying when he is old he just wants to be married and have kids, because his kids can't say no to being his friends is sublime.

That episode also contains this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugwj8452Ucs&t=69s

edit: Also tying it back to Michael.. Remember when Michael said he got turned on looking at the picture of Stanley's daughter? There she is.

Koalas March has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Mar 6, 2018

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Office Season 2 is one of the best seasons of television.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zedd posted:

the best part of that is the puppet interviewing him acting kind of shocked and unsure in it's body language after that answer, even though it's a puppet and all its movement is deliberate

they had a real pro puppeteer on fundle bundle to react like that on the fly

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

the best part of that is the puppet interviewing him acting kind of shocked and unsure in it's body language after that answer, even though it's a puppet and all its movement is deliberate

they had a real pro puppeteer on fundle bundle to react like that on the fly

The slow opening of it's mouth makes me crack up every single time.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Every time I see that, I want to buy it as an avatar

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Dinner Party episode might be the best episode at making you feel bad for Michael currently. Jim and Pam desperate to escape and Dwight bringing his babysitter are so good despite being kind of a dark episode.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Speaking of The Price is Right, that show aged horribly if only because it makes me feel old as gently caress. I remember watching it as a kid and the first number in the "Guess the price of the car" game ($_ _ _ _) was always a "4"

It was also only 4 digits.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I think they passed a law saying you can't show price is right episodes older than like, a decade on TV because people will just start fuckin building guillotines if they link up 'wait...prices have gone up a lot...but my pay hasn't...'

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just miss Bob Barker, Drew Carey sucks

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

bobjr posted:

The Dinner Party episode might be the best episode at making you feel bad for Michael currently. Jim and Pam desperate to escape and Dwight bringing his babysitter are so good despite being kind of a dark episode.

i hate how often i get hunter's song stuck in my head

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Brother Entropy posted:

i hate how often i get hunter's song stuck in my head
Darn you.... You took me by the hand, maaaade me a maaaaaan. That one night (one night) you made everything allri-ri-riight.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zedd posted:

Darn you.... You took me by the hand, maaaade me a maaaaaan. That one night (one night) you made everything allri-ri-riight.

Hey babe, think you can stop singing that song, babe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I say “it’s got an oak-y after birth” all the time and it never fails to make people stop and go “wh-what?”