Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
You're both misreading it, it ended last year. Fall of 2014 to 3/31/17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Whoops. I knew something felt off about that. Misread the post and then the website.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tennessee's Rick Barnes was named SEC Coach of the Year and sophomore Grant Williams was named Player of the Year today.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Tennessee's Rick Barnes was named SEC Coach of the Year and sophomore Grant Williams was named Player of the Year today.

Hell yeah, he definitely deserved it. I gotta imagine Tony Bennett is gonna win NCAA CotY, but I wonder if Barnes has a shot at it

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Joey Freshwater posted:

Hell yeah, he definitely deserved it. I gotta imagine Tony Bennett is gonna win NCAA CotY, but I wonder if Barnes has a shot at it

Probably under Pearl, Bennett and a couple others, but equally as deserving.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Joey Freshwater posted:

When is the NCAA award announced? I imagine that a lot of Tony Bennett's case is going to ride on their tournament performance. There are a lot of people who are convinced that UVA isn't built to make a run in the tournament, and if UVA gets bounced in say the Sweet 16, that #1 ranking is going to be for naught and I can see the votes going to someone else.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Holtman at OSU has a really good case.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Him and Pearl have by far done the best jobs in the conference this year. Job well done for both of them.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/coachbrucepearl/status/971084549584236544

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
On the AP side, Barnes won COY for the conference, and Maten from UGA was POY. Auburn did have a player make first team, too.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

vikingstrike posted:

Him and Pearl have by far done the best jobs in the conference this year. Job well done for both of them.

He really has. And considering the Vols only have 1 senior, this is a very talented team that will still be intact for next year as well.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

vikingstrike posted:

Considering what Missouri had, what Missouri recruited and what Missouri ended up not having I think Cuonzo did pretty well too.

Not well enough to actually win or anything, but maybe enough to make the by far conversation.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Cuonzo was robbed!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tony Bennett got the NBC, USA Today, and NCAA.com (Andy Katz?) National COY awards. The bonuses are stacking up for him.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FartingBedpost posted:

Probably under Pearl, Bennett and a couple others, but equally as deserving.

Pearl didn’t win the conference award, why would be be ahead of Barnes for the NCAA award?

This weekend will do a lot for both of their cases if either of them win the SEC tournament

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Joey Freshwater posted:

Pearl didn’t win the conference award, why would be be ahead of Barnes for the NCAA award?

This weekend will do a lot for both of their cases if either of them win the SEC tournament

Suckers like a comeback story. I’m honestly surprised Barnes got the conference award too.

But yeah, it’ll be Tony Bennett or whichever SEC coach gets farther in the SEC Tournament.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FartingBedpost posted:

Suckers like a comeback story. I’m honestly surprised Barnes got the conference award too.

But yeah, it’ll be Tony Bennett or whichever SEC coach gets farther in the SEC Tournament.

Tennessee was pinned to be 13th in the SEC and Auburn was 9th so really Barnes had lower expectations than Pearl. Auburn won the head to head in regular season, but that's really the only leg he's got up on Barnes. Same in conference record, similar overall records, though Auburn played one more game (why?) than UT.

There's definitely an argument to be made for both of them, so I don't get being surprised either way.

I hope both teams end up in the tournament championship and Tennessee wins to really settle it.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Well that seems like an interesting idea, can't imagine anyway how it could possibly make things w.... oh.
https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/status/971198998068580352

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lil penny arraigned by FBI, claims he was "just a puppet"

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

For the record, I would never own an SEC hat
Fan declares 'SEC spit in face of Auburn,' protests by setting SEC hat on fire

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

R.D. Mangles posted:

:golfclap:

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

R.D. Mangles posted:

No diggity, no doubt

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Kelvin Sampson won AAC coach of the year, nothing but respect for my prescoach

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
MPJ is playing in the SEC tourney :yeah:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

xbilkis posted:

MPJ is playing in the SEC tourney :yeah:

Man I hope he's awesome but more than that I hope he doesn't hurt himself.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
women's college basketball is like 50 years behind the men's. they didn't even have a ncaa tournament until 1982. IMO uconn's dominance is similar to UCLA in the 60's and 70's. the women's game will slowly become more balanced over the next few decades.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well Kansas is hosed, for the time being at least.

Dok out of the Big 12 Tournament (not that that thing matters at all) with sprained medial collateral ligament

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

kiimo posted:

Dok out of the Big 12 Tournament (not that that thing matters at all) with sprained medial collateral ligament

it's Lightfoot's time to shine

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

riiiiight

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
every drat loving year kansas loses its post player in time for the tournament

stump collector
May 28, 2007
This is our sacrifice for defeating Psycho T ten years ago

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

kiimo posted:

ISU's path to the NCAA gets a little clearer!

(A lot of dominoes would have to fall the right way, but ISU beating OSU in the championship game, plus Baylor taking one over WVU would likely send all 10 Big XII teams to the NCAA tournament, and that would be worth Tech missing out on the Dallas regional slot to me.)

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
If only the University of Kansas basketball team could catch a break sometime.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sure yeah but this guy is currently the only big on the team. I weigh the same as him and I'm 5'11.

If Joel Embiid (or even Cliff Alexander) played for the Illini you'd want them to at least play in the tournament.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So I (and by "I" I mean someone on reddit) figured out why Barnes was the SEC Coach of the year and not Pearl, aside from the 13th/9th in the SEC thing:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

b-minus1 posted:

women's college basketball is like 50 years behind the men's. they didn't even have a ncaa tournament until 1982. IMO uconn's dominance is similar to UCLA in the 60's and 70's. the women's game will slowly become more balanced over the next few decades.

Women's parity was actually greater in the 1970s. Smaller schools tended to field teams faster. The entirety of the AIAW title games were:
1972 Immaculata 52–48 West Chester State
1973 Immaculata 59–52 Queens College
1974 Immaculata 68–53 Mississippi College
1975 Delta State 90–81 Immaculata
1976 Delta State 69–64 Immaculata
1977 Delta State 68–55 LSU
1978 UCLA 90–74 Maryland
1979 Old Dominion 75–65 Louisiana Tech
1980 Old Dominion 68–53 Tennessee
1981 Louisiana Tech 79–59 Tennessee
1982 Rutgers 83–77 Texas

Louisiana Tech continued to be a top school through the mid-1990s, despite being ruled by a draconian regime who insisted they be "ladylike" and continue wearing sleeved jerseys. Unfortunately, the last reports out of Louisiana Tech were Tyler Summitt's sexcapades. Summitt's stint was a complete disaster, starting with his hiring.

On that note, when the AIAW began sanctioning national championships, very few players had actually played 5-on-5. Many were still in the 3-on-3 with others in the slightly advanced "rovers" stage. Even more high schools didn't even field high school basketball teams until after 1975.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/theponiexpress/status/971552140429848577?s=21

Also RC: you can’t mention early girls HS ball without mentioning Iowa and 6-player ball

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Joey Freshwater posted:

So I (and by "I" I mean someone on reddit) figured out why Barnes was the SEC Coach of the year and not Pearl, aside from the 13th/9th in the SEC thing:

Not having a scandal hanging over his head probably also helped Barnes.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Troy Queef posted:

https://twitter.com/theponiexpress/status/971552140429848577?s=21

Also RC: you can’t mention early girls HS ball without mentioning Iowa and 6-player ball

We weren't the only state that did it or even the last! Oklahoma ended it two years after Iowa did. It was a bigger deal in Iowa though, there are old people who are still mad that it's gone.

Also I assume he said 3 on 3 that's what he meant. It was basically two half court 3 on 3 games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

curried lamb of God posted:

Kelvin Sampson won AAC coach of the year

It's absolutely unsustainable on the back of a senior-heavy team and they'll be back under .500 next year but for now it's been nice to see UH actually have a non-embarrassment of a basketball team for once. I mean, I was there (and so were you!) for the Clyde Drexler years.

I'm starting to wonder how much longer UH is going to be able to hang on to Sampson, eventually he's going to win enough to rehab his reputation and some P5 with money to burn will come calling.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 8, 2018

• Locked thread