Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
I'll agree with others here, grid defence is fine as is.

One thing I've noticed is that i very rarely feel any need to buy weapons, whereas I'll always jump at a good passive or targeted ability like the smoke grenade. If i do buy a weapon it's normally another starting weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Couldn’t the judo mech be fixed a little if his throw did 1 point of damage to whatever was the landing grid and the original throwee just bounced back to where it was originally? Him having turns when he can basically do nothing really hampers that team.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Re: judo mech: I wonder if they could change the judo throw so that your mech swaps places with the enemy and then pushes him backwards? This would allow you to throw enemies into one another, and prevent awkward cases where you can't judo because there are too many enemies around. In all existing cases, the only difference is that your mech has moved one square to the (former) enemy square, which while big seems like a reasonable change.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

I have never felt as much as disgust, and at the same time respect, for a Vek as that smug little bitch Scarab here.
The one that just parked itself between the two tanks.
Where no mech in my squad could attack it without blowing up the tanks.

Mindblast posted:

Can't agree. If a vek threatening a building is already enough to potentially trigger a shield you'd have half the settlements covered in shields all the time with just baseline proc chance because attempting to attack is literally all they do.
Yeah, I can see that, but it is a percentage chance after all. It can be reduced. Not like stacking it is much of a thing in the game, either.

Fangz posted:

It's not some kind of mistake or oversight that grid defense is random and unpredictable. *Grid defense didn't have to exist at all*
wowowow i thought the devs just randomly threw poo poo together until they were like "okay that's a game ship it dave" thanks for telling me man

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Wizard Styles posted:

I have never felt as much as disgust, and at the same time respect, for a Vek as that smug little bitch Scarab here.

Yeah, I can see that, but it is a percentage chance after all. It can be reduced. Not like stacking it is much of a thing in the game, either.

wowowow i thought the devs just randomly threw poo poo together until they were like "okay that's a game ship it dave" thanks for telling me man
Move the judo much anywhere else and put the boulder much where it is and you can put a rock on that fucker.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Wizard Styles posted:

Stand the rock mech where the judo mech is and that would kill it without harming the tanks?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Olpainless posted:

I'll agree with others here, grid defence is fine as is.

One thing I've noticed is that i very rarely feel any need to buy weapons, whereas I'll always jump at a good passive or targeted ability like the smoke grenade. If i do buy a weapon it's normally another starting weapon.

I make it a point to buy Science Weapons especially for like Grapple/Pull/Push Bots that really need something else (ACID launcher owns and has a nice pushback feature), Mini-Tanks (must buy IMO. tanks op), and yeah passives.

Although I was playing Flamebros and bought the Boulder Launcher to complement FlameArty since it's so much better, I ended up using Boulder almost exclusively unless I needed to push in the other direction. And I had also bought Prime Spear to use with Flamethrower but ended up using Prime Spear over the Flamethrower since it was also much better and basically the exact same role. That issue is more Flamebros really do not scale into Late-game very well and cap out at like ~2 Island runs so replacing their weapons is a solid choice.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

imweasel09 posted:

Move the judo much anywhere else and put the boulder much where it is and you can put a rock on that fucker.
My (first) turn is over in that screenshot.

It's the first turn and I couldn't move either the judo or the boulder mech around the tanks.
Lightning mech obviously can kill it, but at the cost of essentially blowing the mission.

I could have done what you said if I had put the boulder mech in the front row during deployment, though; I just didn't realize the possibility of this move happening.

I also kinda forgot the tanks can't move for the first turns because I had just done the mission with the artillery support that you can immediately give orders to. :kiddo:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Dr. Stab posted:

Knowing that you have zero chance to win but you're supposed to keep playing is bad. Also this change would have the side effect of making grid defense absolutely amazing.

I guess if the sticking point is specifically only on the last turn the final energy pip could have different rules or something?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I have no idea what the start of the turn looked like. Potentially you could have thrown the boulder mech with the judo mech to get more movement.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
The best advice i can really give here is - burrowers are jerks and difficult to deal with for most unupgraded squads, so check and avoid them for the first island as much as possible.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
This might be a dumb question but I keep seeing like quadruped mechs and big-gun mechs.

Is it possible to play with just humanoid mechs like my favourite pacific gundams?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Fangz posted:

I have no idea what the start of the turn looked like. Potentially you could have thrown the boulder mech with the judo mech to get more movement.
Yeah, I only thought of taking a screenshot after I'd hit reset specifically to find a way to deal with that one Scarab anyway.

But I'm pretty sure that - with my starting setup - there was no way, since both Scarabs went to hug the tanks, which meant the lightning mech had to watch from the sidelines for that turn.

Vitamin P posted:

This might be a dumb question but I keep seeing like quadruped mechs and big-gun mechs.

Is it possible to play with just humanoid mechs like my favourite pacific gundams?
Yes, but only if you make a custom squad.

There's even a cheevo for winning with three mechs of the same class, so you can still potentially unlock something.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 6, 2018

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Vitamin P posted:

Yes, you can make a custom squad out of any mechs you've already unlocked. So you'll need to play a few games with regular squads to unlock more Prime (humanoid) mechs, but after that you can make a humanoid team easily.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Vitamin P posted:

Yeah, once you unlock any new squads you gain the option of choosing custom squads (repeats allowed) from your unlocked mecha.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Vitamin P posted:

Yeah, you can create custom squads out of any Mechs you've unlocked and almost every squad has a humanoid Mech.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I guess if the sticking point is specifically only on the last turn the final energy pip could have different rules or something?

- the definition of bad game design

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gently caress yeah highest score

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Wizard Styles posted:

Yeah, I only thought of taking a screenshot after I'd hit reset specifically to find a way to deal with that one Scarab anyway.

But I'm pretty sure that - with my starting setup - there was no way, since both Scarabs went to hug the tanks, which meant the lightning mech had to watch from the sidelines for that turn.

Dude! Don’t mock a thread full of nerds with a puzzle that is too hard, bro, you’ll never do it, I ain’t even gotta show you.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

Re: judo mech: I wonder if they could change the judo throw so that your mech swaps places with the enemy and then pushes him backwards? This would allow you to throw enemies into one another, and prevent awkward cases where you can't judo because there are too many enemies around. In all existing cases, the only difference is that your mech has moved one square to the (former) enemy square, which while big seems like a reasonable change.

Quoting my post here, because I wrote up this proposal on reddit and I'm curious if anyone has any feedback on it.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
If a mech or Vek is standing in front of the supply train will the train get hurt?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Anything in the train's immediate path will cause a collision, yes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I've been playing this with this order of priority: Mech damage is worth less than grid damage which is worth less than power grid mission rewards which is worth less than reputation rewards which is worth less than pods/reactor rewards (since they cost 3 reputation otherwise and sometimes grant pilots).

Am I correct here?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yes, but sometimes if you take that grid hit you die.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh god help me i have found the joy of 3 charge mecs + abe and now i am not able to play anything else

is it efficient? no.
do the generic pilots ever survive past the first island? no.
is it fun. you bet it is.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
It shows how awful the charge mech is that with 2 cores which you've got solid odds on getting before the first corporate HQ the combat mech is literally better in every way.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Glorious.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Burn it all down.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

cugel posted:

Glorious.

But can you kill that alpha before it kills your meteor mech and gets away?

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Really Pants posted:

But can you kill that alpha before it kills your meteor mech and gets away?
He is already dead obviously.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Playing with smoke squad right now.

Curious about Jet Mech's +1 range upgrade. Does it REQUIRE me to jump two squares every time I use it or can I still jump just one square? I'm trying to find out before I invest those cores.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

Playing with smoke squad right now.

Curious about Jet Mech's +1 range upgrade. Does it REQUIRE me to jump two squares every time I use it or can I still jump just one square? I'm trying to find out before I invest those cores.

You can jump between 2-3 squares. It's the same with the other similar ability

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Judo boys or fire fighters?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Judo boys, fire sucks and that fact offends me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fire is awesome and the Steel Judoka have nothing that comes close.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The fire is fine but the real star of that squad is Swapmech, it's so great.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Fire squad does Judo's gimmick better than Judo and starts things on fire.

The only challenges to playing the Flame Behemoths is that the screen can get so red with robots, fire, and warnings that the screen can take longer to read.

It's also challenging playing any other squad directly after playing the Flame Behemoths because you have to remember that you can no longer safely ignore fire squares.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Fire just has no scaling and that's sad.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can we all agree that the digger bugs are the loving worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Can we all agree that the digger bugs are the loving worst

dude

spiders