Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

WampaLord posted:

Very few contestants think of making non even Daily Double wagers. It's almost always a number that ends in a zero.

Intuition just works like that, no one can precisely calculate their confidence down to the single dollar.

Except Watson, which did place a daily double bet at some absurdly exact number like $6,453. And even Alex laughed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Hey guys it's test week. I'm taking it on Thursday in a bid for a fourth audition and maybe actually getting on the show. Anyone else? Make sure you sign up in advance!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you should be forced to go double or nothing if you hit a daily double.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

WampaLord posted:

Very few contestants think of making non even Daily Double wagers. It's almost always a number that ends in a zero.

For Daily Doubles, you pretty much have to come up with a wager right there. For Final Jeopardy, you get a pen and paper and a few minutes to do the math.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

zakharov posted:

Hey guys it's test week. I'm taking it on Thursday in a bid for a fourth audition and maybe actually getting on the show. Anyone else? Make sure you sign up in advance!

Oooh. Online test time! I'll try and do it tonight.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
and what the gently caress is a ditloid. Have you heard of that before

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ein cooler Typ posted:

and what the gently caress is a ditloid. Have you heard of that before

A ditloid is a type of word puzzle,[1] in which a phrase, quotation, date, or fact must be deduced from the numbers and abbreviated letters in the clue. Common words such as 'the', 'in', 'a', 'an', 'of', 'to', etc. are not normally abbreviated.[1][dubious ] The name 'ditloid' was given by the Daily Express newspaper,[1] originating from the clue: 1 = DitLoID ≡ 1 Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich.

Or to put it another way, you miss rhyme time yet?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I think the rhyming ones are becoming my least favorite type of question.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Fortune cookies are not a dessert :colbert:

Think I got about 45? ish

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 7, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
33/50, and I know I missed at least 2 just not thinking it through enough. Maybe next time.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Just wanna say gently caress this new winner guy.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I don't think we'll ever see an easier Shakespeare than tonight's, unless it's "this was Romeo's secret lover"

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

33/50, and I know I missed at least 2 just not thinking it through enough. Maybe next time.

Me too

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I don't think we'll ever see an easier Shakespeare than tonight's, unless it's "this was Romeo's secret lover"

have you read my Romeo/Mercutio fanfic

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just wanna say gently caress this new winner guy.

Still watching, it’s Portland guy isn’t it?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Unkempt posted:

Fortune cookies are not a dessert :colbert:

you eat it after dinner and it's a cookie.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well, maybe the jokers wild will get a third season... :-/

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
He may not have won but I respected Rob last night realizing that the game was a blowout and risking it all on daily doubles to save the runaway

drives me nuts when the game is a blowout and then the guy in 2nd place bets 500 on a daily double

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Ein cooler Typ posted:

have you read my Romeo/Mercutio fanfic

Didn't realize LiveJournal was still online.

I hit 41/50, hopefully that's enough this time. Picked the wrong continent in a panic but what can you do. Good luck CST goons!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

(Retro) good luck to all the people who already took the test last night and are about to take it these next two nights! Dunno if my referral emails to Corina will still be good after (holy poo poo, has it really been) four years, but I'm still willing to hand them out to goons who think they did well enough. Just let me know.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

well, maybe the jokers wild will get a third season... :-/

We get it! Snoop likes pot!

I remember watching the original show back in the 70s. I thought it was an odd choice to bring back.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm going to miss that dude confidently announce an answer and Alex being like "LOL no"

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

WELP I think I tanked the Wednesday test

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

My power is out from the snowstorm and my phone is almost dead so I just took my laptop to the car so I could charge it and use my hotspot to take the test. I think I did okay

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I think I got low 40s on the test tonight, but it's hard to remember. I couldn't dig up "igneous" in time, and drat me if I didn't almost blank on Gorsuch's name and only barely managed "Easter eg" before time ran out.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Syzygy Stardust posted:

I think I got low 40s on the test tonight, but it's hard to remember. I couldn't dig up "igneous" in time, and drat me if I didn't almost blank on Gorsuch's name and only barely managed "Easter eg" before time ran out.

I 100% blanked on Gorsuch’s name. I think I probably got around 40

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If I get to the in-person audition again I have a good story at least

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Possible answers from Jboard.

1 Byzantium
2 Yield
3 Liver
4 Colin Powell
5 fern
6 Iran
7 Marie Antoinette
8 General Motors
9 Tolouse-Lautrec
10 Yale
11 David Bowie
12 Boxer Rebellion
13 tsunami
14 play on
15 Seine
16 Libra
17 Exodus
18 Robert Fulton
19 This Is Us
20 The Crucible
21 Yosemite
22 Airbus
23 Demeter
24 China
25 Theresa May
26 Peace
27 Vanity Fair
28 Potassium
29 Pringles
30 Buenos Aires
31 Radical
32 The Matrix
33 Neil Gorsuch
34 Plato
35 The Faerie Queene
36 lens
37 Dodge (City)
38 Ultimate
39 Igneous
40 George Gershwin
41 Kwanzaa
42 Spanish-American War
43 Frank Lloyd Wright
44 Ontario
45 Goodreads
46 Loki
47 Order
48 Easter egg
49 In Cold Blood
50 Chicago

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If that’s correct I got 41 which is cool I guess

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
cool i think i got 39, 40 if the probable answer for question 1 is wrong. I can't remember the question but I do think I got it and my answer wasn't Byzantium

e: or if they accept fullerton for fulton but i doubt they will

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

cool i think i got 39, 40 if the probable answer for question 1 is wrong. I can't remember the question but I do think I got it and my answer wasn't Byzantium

I don’t remember what it was either, also what was the Radical question

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I don’t remember what it was either, also what was the Radical question

what do you call the square root symbol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what do you call the square root symbol

Ohhhh right thank you

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Unofficial rumored cutoff is 35, so you guys should be fine. Good luck getting a callback to an audition!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

oh goddamnit the first question was about a yeats poem so yeah Byzantium is right

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I think I got 39, woo I may be in the pool.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh goddamnit the first question was about a yeats poem so yeah Byzantium is right

Oh yeah that was it. I’ve gotten through to the in-person audition three times, here’s hoping for number four

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
God loving damnit there's just so much I don't know about poetry and theatre :smith:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

HookShot posted:

I'm going to miss that dude confidently announce an answer and Alex being like "LOL no"

I like the part where he gave half the answer and then just stopped talking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

PT6A posted:

God loving damnit there's just so much I don't know about poetry and theatre :smith:

Same.