Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

track day bro! posted:

I will lol externally if good genuine Italian team Torro Rosso manage to get a decent points haul with the obviously fantastic Honda engine.

We will not hear your lolling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is there any scope for the cars to run without the halos? Like physically, structurally? Would it just take a few little cover panels to mask the fixing points off and do they hold these in case? And is there that flexibility in the rules to allow for such at any given grand prix
The halo isn't "fixed to" the car. It's an integral part of the chassis, designed to take the weight of a London double-decker bus. It's not like the demo units from years past where they could just unbolt it after testing. And no, the FIA safety rules don't have any provisions to allow teams to remove the halo. Running the halo causes a significant aerodynamic penalty that if it were at all optional, then teams would find any excuse to not use it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

They should remove the halo

#forzaferrari

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

They should remove the halo

#forzaferrari

God already removed your halo.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Isn't it pretty loving heavy (in racecar terms) so running without it would probably cause the cars to handle way differently seeing as all the aero/chassis/tyre would be designed around the extra weight being in place anyway

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, at this point the chassis are all homologated, and modifying it at this point would be impossible. The teams ran into the same problem with McLaren broke out the F-duct.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/772/ferrari-issue-renewed-quit-threat-to-f1/

gently caress off Liberty

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

gently caress off Ferrari you mean, trying to hold the sport to ransom when they haven't won a championship in over a decade

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
$150m spending cap? What is this, Formula Ants?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tsaedje posted:

gently caress off Ferrari you mean, trying to hold the sport to ransom when they haven't won a championship in over a decade

Nice Meltdown

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Liberty is bad

#forxaforrrari

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
did they try iterations of the halo last year without the annoying center bar first or something? I thought they did....

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It was a windshield and it got shitcanned because Vettel said it made him feel sick, and then got implemented in indicar anyway which is yet further proof of what a loving colossal fraud he is.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

I wish someone would call Ferrari on it and see if they had the stones to actually do it.

"Okay, gently caress off then if you don't want to play by the rules. Oh, what's that? You're still here? Thought so."

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think Ferrari would actually leave and start their own series if Liberty actually takes their payments away

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bernie would totally be behind a project against Liberty f1 out of spite

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
I honestly think Formula 1 would be a better sport without Ferrari

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nice meltdown.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Everyone loves Ferrari and they get complemented by everyone constantly because of how great a team they are

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I think Ferrari would actually leave and start their own series if Liberty actually takes their payments away

So it would end up being like all the other failed series like A1GP?

Call their bluff, what other series has Ferrari consistently in the top teams and the crazy fan base that F1 has?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The problem is that Mercedes are saying they would join Ferrari in petulance quitting which is new, and would leave F1 with Renault and Honda suddenly having to supply a load more teams, which given they can’t currently supply works teams with non-exploding engines leaves the sport pretty much hosed.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

$150m is a pitifully low budget cap.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

learnincurve posted:

The problem is that Mercedes are saying they would join Ferrari in petulance quitting which is new, and would leave F1 with Renault and Honda suddenly having to supply a load more teams, which given they can’t currently supply works teams with non-exploding engines leaves the sport pretty much hosed.

Hmm F1 wouldn't survive if the biggest teams are fraud teams like McLaren and Force India? Weird that people want them to have an equal say in the sport as the real teams like Ferrari then.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think when McLaren and Force India work out how to manafacture their own engines then yes they will have an equal say. Until then people like Christian Horner can posture and be placated by liberty as much as they like the works teams still have them by the balls.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

McLaren engineers still can't crack how to make an engine out of boiled horsemeat despite their top team working round the clock on it.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Can you imagine this thread after Ferrari quits F1?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Liberty will almost certainly cave because spending a gazillion dollars on a racing series and then chasing off the most valuable member of it a year later sure seems like pretty bad business.

I assume they bought F1 not to put in salary caps and poo poo, but because they saw the opportunity in running a massive business using actual sane people and reap a bunch of money from selling their poo poo directly to consumers. You really would like Ferrari and Mercedes to be around to actually be able to do that. I think Ferrari has a bunch of leverage and are using it. In My Opinion (imo)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
1500quid my friend, this a bit awkward, do you simply not get that it’s the French and Icelanders who genuinely eat horses and Ikea is Swedish? The horsemeat thing was a pan-European problem and it originated from Ireland.

It’s not even remotely annoying to the British when you post about boiled horse-meat because it’s simply not a national stereotype and never has been. The British also don’t boil their meat, that too is the Irish and french. Sorry.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

1500quid my friend, this a bit awkward, do you simply not get that it’s the French and Icelanders who genuinely eat horses and Ikea is Swedish? The horsemeat thing was a pan-European problem and it originated from Ireland.

It’s not even remotely annoying to the British when you post about boiled horse-meat because it’s simply not a national stereotype and never has been. The British also don’t boil their meat, that too is the Irish and french. Sorry.

Listen, I think I know English people prettttttty well and they all eat boiled horse meat for every meal and wear burlap sacks as clothing. You should really visit there sometime.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Liberty will cave.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Nobody says no to the Rosso Nostra.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Remember the time when Ferrari tried to get leverage by buying into A1GP and branding it with Ferrari everywhere and it collapsed after one season because nobody gave a poo poo about Ferraris racing each other

And then Bernie gave them more money anyway because he was a corrupt piece of poo poo

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've been looking more closely at the halo and it seems a bit of a missed opportunity for teams like McLaren especially. It looks to be forward of the centre of balance whereas, had it been fixed further back, it would have made an ideal, quick access, anchor point for craning stricken cars of the track more quickly and so safely.

Is there any scope for the cars to run without the halos? Like physically, structurally? Would it just take a few little cover panels to mask the fixing points off and do they hold these in case? And is there that flexibility in the rules to allow for such at any given grand prix, like maybe they turn up to Spa and the halo's effects on visibility are deemed unsafe, can the teams agree and all just unbolt them and run anyway?

Delet this

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Formula 1 without Mercedes and Scuderia Ferrari is a loving farce. Even formula e and its electric gimmick would be more interesting

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

DoctorGonzo posted:

electric gimmick

Please don't talk about Sir Frank Williams in that way

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Thanks Ants posted:

Please don't talk about Sir Frank Williams in that way

:pusheen:

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

learnincurve posted:

it is insane to me how absolutely garbage f1 is compared to indycar

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Volkswagen-Audi would have a boner so large you could see Wolfsburg from space if F1 had a 150mil spending cap. Porsche would be in F1 quicker than you could say "gently caress you Audi".

Also, I don't know if Renault would stick around if there was a 150mil cap; they seem pretty determined to win, but aren't going all in because they know they're a ways off it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

OhsH posted:

it is insane to me how absolutely garbage f1 is compared to indycar

Uh.