Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
get air gems by trade, search, conquest or alchemy because i mean literally every turn past turn 10 you should be summoning condors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Awake a7w10s6 cast condors kill target player

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I was TNN in 2001: I did throw a poo poo loads of stuff at TC, pointlessly, but at this point I didn't really have enough time to plsy the game properly and was running on reflex. This is also (partially) why ai went AI in the endgame: ai could have sat on 7 points and waited for the cataclysm, but I didn't havr the time and had lodt enjoyment in the game because I kept having to rush things.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I’m REALLY tempted by the idea of recruiting 3 wolfherds a turn as LA Ulm. lovely wolf freespawn explosions. But is it actually useful? Could I build a strategy around it?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Could you buff them with ironskin and berserk, or other good buffs?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

avoraciopoctules posted:

I’m REALLY tempted by the idea of recruiting 3 wolfherds a turn as LA Ulm. lovely wolf freespawn explosions. But is it actually useful? Could I build a strategy around it?

They're handy patrollers all the blood hunting you should be doing but that's about it

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Newbie LA Game Writeup:

The turn timer was set to 48 hours for some unholy reason and everyone eventually got bored and went AI.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bug Squash posted:

2001 a Grognard Odyssey

So at this time I had built up a pretty large army of sacred, including a lot of fliers, as well as some quite capable mages with Acid Shower, Howl and Wooden Warriors at hand. I had seen Maverni wiping out army after army trying to attack Abyssia, so they looked a juicy target. I prepared to launch a full scale attack, when some scout reports changed my plans entirely. Rus had been attacking Agartha, and had conquered nearly their entire empire, eventually sieging their cap. Human players sometimes get into a trap where they desperately protect their mages at all costs. Mages are valuable, but they are still just another tool that should get thrown into fights as soon as your research makes them useful. So when Agartha goes ai, the computer throws pretty much everything they have at the sieging force and shatter Rus's attack.

I was Marveni in this game and my working theory was that a billion ghosts couldn't leave the ocean in any meaningful way, and in fact, the only player they could seriously hinder was TC, then i ran some raiders into TC and realized therodos actually had multiple land forts and the idiot had probably made a NAP with them or something.

I was also drain3, which was working GREAT until Caelum, who i was using to establish a research colony, was destroyed by ghosts. This pretty much immediately cut my RP in half and I became Tibet.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
What do mean research colony? Can you share research?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im presuming they were allowing caelum's domain to extend into one or more of their provinces for those sweet not drain 3 scales

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
yeah just that. drain 3 is insanely easy to work around and i have no idea why people are willing to take t3m1 and call it free points but refuse to cash in on d3 which is actually for real free points.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
So what are you supposed to do with the trinity Gods, exactly? What's their thing?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Normal Adult Human posted:

yeah just that. drain 3 is insanely easy to work around and i have no idea why people are willing to take t3m1 and call it free points but refuse to cash in on d3 which is actually for real free points.

:wrong:

Drain 3 is a research efficiency modifier that can be worth a lot of scales on a lot of nations. When combined with mis3 you also have to deal with magic fade.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah drain is uh bad, drain on your cap is loving awful, having to move your mages around constantly to stay out of drain scales is bad, you're losing a lot of research by not being able to poo poo out mages and instantly research, instead having to move multiple provinces away to stay out of drain, (i.e. losing 2-5 turns of research) or just losing research by researching in drain. Obviously over the course of a really long game it might be moot but you have to get to that point by not getting magicowned.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MF_James posted:

Yeah drain is uh bad, drain on your cap is loving awful, having to move your mages around constantly to stay out of drain scales is bad, you're losing a lot of research by not being able to poo poo out mages and instantly research, instead having to move multiple provinces away to stay out of drain, (i.e. losing 2-5 turns of research) or just losing research by researching in drain. Obviously over the course of a really long game it might be moot but you have to get to that point by not getting magicowned.

i was top 3 in research for almost the entire game, actually. It's not hard to avoid getting "magicowned" when you are the one who has the magic. I made a lot of really, really bad mistakes that game, but going drain 3 was absolutely not one of them.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Graphs with no context are great. I assume you took drain3 and are the red line at the top?

There are a lot of other factors that could go into why it wasn't a bad choice in that game.

I would be more apt to listen to monkee w/r/t game than any other person on this forum, hth

MF_James fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 7, 2018

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Monkee said "drain 3 and misfortune 3 is really bad, and drain 3 can be bad sometimes" while you seem to have interpreted as "drain 3 will set you so far back in research that you will be murdered by meteor storms" Which is provably wrong as in 2001, i was NOT TOP 3 but competitive on research the entire game, and therodos, second in research, was also drain 2 or 3.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

As Caelum in that game I bribed you with my sweet sweet +Magic dominion and loads of owl quills not to attack me during my hellwar with the demon monkeys so that also went a long way towards making drain3 less punishing for you as well

MF_James
May 8, 2008

you're right, I'm just very angry today.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

420 Gank Mid posted:

As Caelum in that game I bribed you with my sweet sweet +Magic dominion and loads of owl quills not to attack me during my hellwar with the demon monkeys so that also went a long way towards making drain3 less punishing for you as well

this was my idea! i wouldn't have attacked you either way (see: i am drain 3 which means i'm getting +4 research from you) and you just basically shoved a bunch of quills at me!

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
oh yeah the other nation sharing a border with me was yomi who had like, 9 base dominion or something absurd + they got the throne of bureaucracy so i had a THIRD drain 3 nation bordering me. Basically it was a very very bad example of going drain 3 marveni, but i didn't really fall behind. I even had solar brilliance right in time for when theorodos decided to send a thousand ghosts to every province in the game

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
This does not seem like a thing to count on in pregame strategy.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Corbeau posted:

This does not seem like a thing to count on in pregame strategy.

here's a screenshot of my research facility

drain 3 works the fewer players there are with drain 3. even neutral scales are still +3 magic for you so all you need is a relatively peaceful neighbor. If you expand fast enough usually you can find a province with ambient +3 magic. But you need to engage in some civic planning, and marveni is uniquely qualified to just poo poo a thousand forts out within 1 turn of a province.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A brief list of things that were more likely to have caused my ultimate loss from a really strong starting position

1) Killing yomi's god and being so afraid of putting my pretender in their dominion i just sat in a fort with a 200+ army for 6 turns.
2) Losing my pretender to Abyssia because they had a throne province called "boar woods"
3) declaring hellwar on Abysia and losing/winning battle after battle wherein my KDR was like 1:20, culminating in a fight where i lost over 100 troops with mage support to like 20 burning ones, because gifts from heaven targets salamanders (hp/square) and blade wind targets burning ones (largest area?).
4) Losing my pretender to Abyssia again because i forgot to give him earth gems
5) Reducing abyssia to a 1pm at which point he began mass producing demonbreeds and probably succeeded in killing 10 elder druids over the course of the game, including one point where he had, at my count, 5 assassins in an empty marveni just killing incoming commanders, druids, etc as they popped.
6) uhh, i'm pretty sure i didn't actually get boar production started until like turn 25, and didn't have a good bless for them, and furthermore didn't even actually bless them half the time

Total number of times i performed a teleporting earthquake and failed to
Bring earth gems to cast the spell - 2
Put my boots on - 1

Total number of times i scripted a solar brilliance communion and forgot
Gems - 3
the communion master - 1, 2 counting assassinations

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
How does maverni bless the boars, they are undisclipned and they have no H3 caster.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Communions. It's not like you want to use Boars without mage support anyway.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Unless you have bv it's not worth the effort. Enlarge Just Works

Im also wrong a lot so don't believe anything I say

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Im also wrong a lot so don't believe anything I say

i dont believe that for a second

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Speleothing posted:

Communions. It's not like you want to use Boars without mage support anyway.

boars move a lot faster than your mages (who don't loving have forest survival for some reason c'mon son) so if you need to get somewhere fast you might find yourself using eponi chieftains or - the ultimate sin - great boars, to move them around quickly.

80 boars joyriding through enemy lands is probably going to do a lot more damage than 300 boars with ~mage support~ chugging along at one tile per turn towards the nearest enemy fort, anyways.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

My god in 2001 was kinda inconsequential tbh.

I was somewhat surprised you didn't just charge headlong into me after that fight but hey, gifthorses and all that

Also I never claimed the throne of bureaucracy I don't think, because I hate not having turmoil 3.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

this was my idea! i wouldn't have attacked you either way (see: i am drain 3 which means i'm getting +4 research from you) and you just basically shoved a bunch of quills at me!
You 👏 Don't 👏 Benefit 👏 From 👏 Hostile 👏 Magic 👏 Dominion 👏 In 👏 Terms 👏 Of 👏 RP 👏 More 👏 Than 👏 The 👏 Magic 👏 0 👏 Baseline 👏

(and the Free Points thing is T1Mis3, which is okay, not T3 Mis1 which is a horrible horrible mistake b/c it's the high turmoil events that get you)

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

How does the anti-cheat feature work? If a friend plays their turn on my copy of Dom on my computer and sends it in to llamaserver, will it trigger anything?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Applebee123 posted:

How does maverni bless the boars, they are undisclipned and they have no H3 caster.

Recruit mobs of indy priests from your 200g temples.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Bramble posted:

How does the anti-cheat feature work? If a friend plays their turn on my copy of Dom on my computer and sends it in to llamaserver, will it trigger anything?

I don't think so, as people sometimes play in several games at the same time.

Edit: that's it, if his game is a different one than the one you are playing now,if you are playing one. What it can't not be done is for several people play the same game with the same key.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 7, 2018

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

I don't think so, as people sometimes play in several games at the same time.

Edit: that's it, if his game is a different one than the one you are playing now,if you are playing one. What it can't not be done is for several people play the same game with the same key.

Its the same game, but he can log into his own steam account to play it. I just wanted to know if the game got upset if two turns from two different keys were sent in from the same hardware.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Not as far as I am aware, it happens on our service all the time (multiple people playing the same nation from different installs), people need a sub, and someone takes over.

I doubt llamaserver is any different in that regards.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The Bramble posted:

Its the same game, but he can log into his own steam account to play it. I just wanted to know if the game got upset if two turns from two different keys were sent in from the same hardware.

Can't you just click "No" or "reselect nation" or whatever when you go to log in? I don't think you would need to even bother closing the game to play 2 nations.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jBrereton posted:

You 👏 Don't 👏 Benefit 👏 From 👏 Hostile 👏 Magic 👏 Dominion 👏 In 👏 Terms 👏 Of 👏 RP 👏 More 👏 Than 👏 The 👏 Magic 👏 0 👏 Baseline 👏

(and the Free Points thing is T1Mis3, which is okay, not T3 Mis1 which is a horrible horrible mistake b/c it's the high turmoil events that get you)

this sounds made up, however, i refuse to set up a test game or autistically trawl through event modifiers so i am forced to believe it is true.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

this sounds made up, however, i refuse to set up a test game or autistically trawl through event modifiers so i am forced to believe it is true.

It's true because they are bad at balance. Misfortune three is fine. The combos that will punch you in the dick are:

Tumoil 2+ Mis 1+ (Civil Warrrrr)
Order 2+ Mis 1+ (Freethinkers taking your pop)
Drain 2+ Mis 1+ (Magic fade and other gemloss)
Death... just don't take death okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Death... just don't take death okay.

can confirm