Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
brainforce marketing reps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

business hammocks posted:

I want to know how hbomb has mutual friends with Prison Paul. I want to know how Prison Paul has friends in the first place.

This was the thing that stood out most to me, yeah. Either of these things is already unbelievable. Both seem like a deranged fantasy.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
As a black person who grew up among the whites it wasn't really the whole stealing bodies that was scary to me and I get a bit confused that cultural appropriation is always the go to main point of why it works and is relatable. It's kind of hard for me to explain what I felt personally but I'll try. It was that uncomfortable feeling of everyone in the room making you feel different and alien by you just being there. Being trapped in performative Uncle Toms roles as to not steer the pot. Someone handwaving your discomfort because they didn't have to learn the language of subtle racism. Feeling bad because people weren't being "mean" racist. Finding out that some of the people you call friends, family or allies are doing and saying some shady racist stuff behind your back while they are probably also using you as a shield for anytime anyone calls them on being racist. I wasn't surprised when I found out that he was half white because that in of itself carries some distinct forms of racism that I find even harder to articulate. There is so much more but I hope that gets my point across.

Content.
Edgar Wright - How To Edit To The Beat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxw7LGGNLYY

REVENGE OF THE NERDS film analysis by Rob Ager
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZGIJq8Q5Ok

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

More and more I come to believe that Revenge of the Nerds was like the first tentative step of the mra movement and reactionary politics from “respectable” white professional-class nerds. Wasn’t gamergate predicated partially on the conviction that male white nerds are an oppressed class like black people are?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

nine-gear crow posted:

So the Prison Man’s soy brain pills make you black out, poo poo yourself relentlessly AND give you an unending raging stiffy? The ride never ends, does it?

Geeze, if those are the side effects, I think I'd rather just have Haribo sugar-frees. At least then I get some gummy yummy out of the deal.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kim Justice posted:

It's actually worse than it was before his month-long. Before that it wasn't every day. Now it is - it's not even a derail, the entire thread has basically been the BOTL show since he came back, he's worse than ever and endlessly gets attention.

Like...when does it end? Seriously.

Only with the cold embrace of the grave.

Channel Criswell has come out with Requiem For A Dream - The Structure of Self-Destruction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkDL50mXbbI

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Alaois posted:

did someone say Get Out

Oh oh oh I can do this too! {clears throat}

Douchnugget posted:

Then I eliminated Dunkrik. It's a good B-movie and I enjoyed it, but what bothered me afterwards was that instead of focusing on the fact that this was an entertaining little action movie that made quite a bit of money, they started trying to suggest it had deeper meaning than it does, and, as far as I'm concerned, they played the "support the troops" card, and that really turned me off. In fact, at once the luncheons, the lead actor (Tom Glynn-Carney), who is not from the United States (he's British), was giving us a lecture on the glorification of war in America and how civilian lives matter, and I thought, "What does this have to do with Dunkirk? They're trying to make me think that if I don't vote for this movie, I'm a hippie". I was really offended. That sealed it for me.

Wow, it almost writes itself. Let me try another

Fart-bagger posted:

Then I eliminated The Post. It's a good B-movie and I enjoyed it, but what bothered me afterwards was that instead of focusing on the fact that this was an entertaining little drama movie that made quite a bit of money, they started trying to suggest it had deeper meaning than it does, and, as far as I'm concerned, they played the "checks and balances" card, and that really turned me off. In fact, at once the luncheons, the one of the lead actors (Bruce Greenwood), who is not from the United States (he's Canadian), was giving us a lecture on the overreach of government power to fuel the Military-Industrial Complex and how Vietnamese lives matter, and I thought, "What does this have to do with The Post? They're trying to make me think that if I don't vote for this movie, I'm a communist". I was really offended. That sealed it for me.

If I had more time I'd go back to previous years' Best Picture nominations.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Augus posted:

look up the comments that academy voters always give on the animation category

If I had money and was (more of) a troll, I'd:

a) Raise a bunch of money to make an animated feature film off (popular property that is beloved and thus could raise lots of money)
b) Get everyone hyped up about (popular property that is beloved and thus would generate insane hype before any details are even released)
c) Hire a Dingo Pictures-level company to make the movie-- though maybe punch it up JUST A BIT so the previews look okay
d) Drop a huge stinking worst-movie ever "what the gently caress were they thinking" turd. (I may have to make it genuine by hiring and firing a long list of people who would love to work on the project but can't handle crunch time)
e) Take all the rest of the budget that I didn't spend on the movie, and instead use it to send "For Your Consideration" campaign bribes packages, knowing the Academy skips the Animated category.

And that's how you end up with Academy Award Winner Bionic Six: The Re-Bionicing Began

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Kim Justice posted:

Great escalation from a mildly abrasive Anita tweet to the shittiest loving takes.

"The Internet"

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I've been recently The Report of the Week food reviews and it reminds me a bit of a video version of Jeremy Parish's talking time articles that weren't game related. Down to "I dress up formally for some sort of weird heart warming reason" being a thing on both pieces.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

lornekates posted:

Oh oh oh I can do this too! {clears throat}

Wow, it almost writes itself. Let me try another

If I had more time I'd go back to previous years' Best Picture nominations.

I'm missing something here.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

KayTee posted:

same, honestly

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

As an apology for addressing Gollum:

https://youtu.be/Vd16eGCocRE

I didn't see this posted and thought it was good. I like her and enjoyed listening to her rag on Sadgon.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

KayTee posted:

It’s an almost word for word quote of an (old, white, racist) Academy voter’s dismissal of Get Out. The quoted post has a link to a screenshot.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

lornekates posted:

"The Internet"

Just one threadban, c'mon. For all of our humours.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

SuperButterBuns has a new video on Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom, a 2003 3D platformer that apparently is way better than you'd expect. I've heard about BfBB but this video explains why it's held in high regard. I don't know what to make about the similarities to Psychonauts and I don't know how justified the accusations that Psychonauts was very inspired by BfBB but they are interesting comparisons regardless.

There's something about SBB's comedic timing both in editing and vocal performance that's truly masterful.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

business hammocks posted:

I want to know how hbomb has mutual friends with Prison Paul. I want to know how Prison Paul has friends in the first place.
I was curious as well to this, unless Hbomb means mutual friend as in a social media one but that doesn't seem like him.
He's been compromised, he is secretly alt-right all along. Get the pitchforks out. :shepface:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

england is like, 15 square miles, it'd be absurd if they didn't have mutual friends

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Moatman posted:

It’s an almost word for word quote of an (old, white, racist) Academy voter’s dismissal of Get Out. The quoted post has a link to a screenshot.

:confused:

Do quoted posts not have inline images and also those people missed the OP and the two or three other times it was referenced?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lornekates posted:

:confused:

Do quoted posts not have inline images and also those people missed the OP and the two or three other times it was referenced?

i was mostly just unclear about your intention, i wasn't sure if i was supposed to read it as "its easy to just dismiss movies out of hand" or "it's easy to just make a fake statement from an Academy voter"

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Alaois posted:

i was mostly just unclear about your intention, i wasn't sure if i was supposed to read it as "its easy to just dismiss movies out of hand" or "it's easy to just make a fake statement from an Academy voter"

If my intention was "racism isn't real because libs fake it", I don't think I'd be on this forum.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lornekates posted:

If my intention was "racism isn't real because libs fake it", I don't think I'd be on this forum.

YOU'D BE AMAZED

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
https://twitter.com/thatgirlsalina/status/970629658784940033

https://twitter.com/WayTooWitty/status/969963471105417218

I don't know :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: I didn't see Get Out. I also didn't see Black Panther. I also haven't seen Ladybird, and it seemed like people were upset that it didn't win anything. I also didn't see Avengers: Age of Ultron, or any of the superhero movies since the first Avengers apart from Guardians of the Galaxy 1& 2.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

It's incredibly good that a movie about white people using black people, and specifically black artists, as tools for self-aggrandizement has itself become a tool white people use for self-aggrandizement.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Would have rather had Peele, who to my knowledge is not a Polanski apologist, win over del Toro.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

lornekates posted:

If I had money and was (more of) a troll, I'd:

a) Raise a bunch of money to make an animated feature film off (popular property that is beloved and thus could raise lots of money)
b) Get everyone hyped up about (popular property that is beloved and thus would generate insane hype before any details are even released)
c) Hire a Dingo Pictures-level company to make the movie-- though maybe punch it up JUST A BIT so the previews look okay
d) Drop a huge stinking worst-movie ever "what the gently caress were they thinking" turd. (I may have to make it genuine by hiring and firing a long list of people who would love to work on the project but can't handle crunch time)
e) Take all the rest of the budget that I didn't spend on the movie, and instead use it to send "For Your Consideration" campaign bribes packages, knowing the Academy skips the Animated category.

And that's how you end up with Academy Award Winner Bionic Six: The Re-Bionicing Began

We already have "The Academy Award Nominated Boss Baby" as a crux of shame for the Academy. I think that's more than enough.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Good luck beating Disney when it comes to Best Animation, even with bribes

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

stillvisions posted:

We already have "The Academy Award Nominated Boss Baby" as a crux of shame for the Academy. I think that's more than enough.
I'm still glad that it pulled ahead of Ghost in the Shell in the opening weekend box office.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m more confused on how Get Out could be considered a B movie.

It had a rather decent budget didn’t it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's a horror film. That's it

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

stillvisions posted:

Boss Baby is good. :colbert:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CharlestheHammer posted:

“B movie” in the present day is more of a stylistic sensibility than a measure of budget, but characterizing Get Out as one is mostly wrong. It’s more like someone took the script for a really good episode of the Twilight Zone and turned it into a full length movie instead.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Hey, remember how YouTube is/was having issue with those videos for kids that had Elsa and Peppa the Pig and whoever, but they had weird, terrifying stuff like Peppa Pig getting stabbed with a needle, or Elsa having upholster a couch or whatever?

Where does something like this fit into that?

Also, IHE put out a video about Hunt Down the Freeman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMw5XohHkPs

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lornekates posted:

"The Internet"

No, it's very clearly Bravest of the Lamps. It's what he does, and been banned from multiple subforums for. There is a even very hard and demonstrateable shift in the quality of discussions between the month he was probated and after his return.

The thread is actually generally very civil, except for one poster that has been proven at every occassion to be absolutely toxic to any conversation and just drags the thread into try to make them see common sense for entire pages at a time. The only one winning in that situation is BoTL's smug sense of superiority, because he will always argue in bad faith.

Try the flipside if it helps to understand us; What does BoTL actually contribute to the thread aside from toxic opinions and derails?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

https://twitter.com/thatgirlsalina/status/970629658784940033

https://twitter.com/WayTooWitty/status/969963471105417218

I don't know :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: I didn't see Get Out. I also didn't see Black Panther. I also haven't seen Ladybird, and it seemed like people were upset that it didn't win anything. I also didn't see Avengers: Age of Ultron, or any of the superhero movies since the first Avengers apart from Guardians of the Galaxy 1& 2.
The new Eli Roth Deathwish is actually real racist, which should be kinda expected. You take a series known for a very uncomfortable nuanced subject in its first entry, then took the sad dive into racist power fantasy with its sequels. Then you hand that series to Eli Roth, a man for whom subtly, good taste, and making good movies are strictly taboo and violations of his most sincerely held beliefs. You're going to get a movie that is balls out super racist.

DISCLAIMER: I loving hate Eli Roth and all of his movies.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Terrible Opinions posted:

The new Eli Roth Deathwish is actually real racist, which should be kinda expected. You take a series known for a very uncomfortable nuanced subject in its first entry, then took the sad dive into racist power fantasy with its sequels. Then you hand that series to Eli Roth, a man for whom subtly, good taste, and making good movies are strictly taboo and violations of his most sincerely held beliefs. You're going to get a movie that is balls out super racist.

For his last few he’s just been doing straight recreations of different 70s exploitation sub-genres. No nuance and no self-awareness—not even like a Tarantino pastiche. I would expect exactly this from him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Watching the Best of the Worst episode on Death Wish 3 is just like pure black comedy at this point because it's actually kind of hilarious how tone deaf, unpleasant, and mean-spirited it is, and you can tell that the guys are just waiting for that last five minutes at the end where Charles Bronson blows up an entire neighborhood full of poor people with an RPG. You straight up could not make a movie like that in the modern era, let along get it released in theaters and expect it to do well... which Eli Roth has just shown to a spectacular degree.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

:same:

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I haven't seen it but I'm honestly surprised that thing even went to theaters, the very premise just screams direct to VOD. As does the presence of Bruce Willis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Just less than five million, which for Blumhouse is probably on the higher end, but compared to other Oscar contenders it's rather low. Three Billboards, for instance, cost $12 million, and Phantom Thread $35 mil. B-movie is an outdated term now that most films aren't sold as double bills, but Get Out is definitely an independent low budget horror film from a studio mostly known for stuff like Paranormal Activity and The Purge, so there's a bit of the same stigma that "B-movie" has.

E: Moonlight was even cheaper, but A24 is a prestige outlet, so it doesn't get pegged as a "B-movie" the same way.

• Locked thread