Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

the spyder posted:

Oregon snow days.

Sad Rotors in Snow.

quote:

Which means I can finally move forward with the 20b project. ....Once I find $15k. Did I mention we're looking at a rental property? The timing is just... crazy. Wish us luck!

Completely forgot- here's the inserts for the pan completed. I'll explain these later.

Dry sump plate?

the spyder posted:

Jumping way back. The first part we had made was the shifter relocation. I've hit a major dilemma here. We originally were going to have the "cup" piece machined. Turns out it was going to be ~2k in tooling/material/fixtures. So we modeled it and my buddy had it printed in Acrylic. A few revisions later and we had a working part. The idea was see what 3d printing it in 316 stainless using SLS would cost. My first quote from ProtoLabs is..... drum roll. $1900. drat it. I may just scrap the idea here and use two of the core transmissions to hack together another one like the prototype pictured. I can buy trans for $200 and since I only need 2-4 of these, it's cheaper to buy the trans. Another option is to just make the little cut piece and weld/braze it on to the existing piece in the trans.

Could you maybe cast one using your printed parts as molds or masters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Dry sump plate?

Could you maybe cast one using your printed parts as molds or masters?

Pan: Wet sump- waiting on drawings and it will make more sense. Thought slight setback: I noticed the pan was missing a counterbore on the mounting holes. They are going back to the machinist and getting fixed Monday.

Shifter part: Funny you mention that- I can have the same part 3d wax printed and I know a local casting shop. Soooooo maybe? I'm going to talk it over with Rob Saturday.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Comedy(?) option, how much does a small smelter/crucible/tools/ppe run? :allears:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Commodore_64 posted:

Comedy(?) option, how much does a small smelter/crucible/tools/ppe run? :allears:

As little as you want. There are youtube videos of guys doing aluminum casting in their backyard with what looks like cinder blocks and kitchen gloves. I wouldn't recommend doing it, but you could.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Commodore_64 posted:

I have a friend that has that stuff and loves random projects.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Commodore_64 posted:

IIs that in order from most important to optional?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Cast aluminum is relatively easy and there's rotorheads on this forum with foundries.

Cast steel is less easy for home gamers.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
The second company never got back to me with a quote. Going for the hack job option for right now. If we make more in the future, I'll have it machined.

Weekend update:

Worked on this 92 RHD car- new motor installed by the owners, brought it to me for startup and basic tuning.

Aaaaand we side piped a lifted miata. Because why not?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The factory part looks like a forging or casting anyways, I bet a casting with a few finish machined surfaces would be fine. Wear surface made from steel and pinned or riveted in place if it needs it, like the sheetmetal brake pad mounting tab clips.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Really looking forward to seeing brappy truck run and drive.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

bandman posted:

Really looking forward to seeing brappy truck run and drive.

Funny you post that- the owner stopped by with a box of parts! But I'm three weeks behind :( So you will just have to wait.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Hey you sneaky bastard, I just saw you in b for build. Nice of you to loan your expertise!

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

dreesemonkey posted:

Hey you sneaky bastard, I just saw you in b for build. Nice of you to loan your expertise!

Was wondering if we'd see this when he picked up the RX7. You're now more internet famous. Congratulations!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Haha, yep you got me. Youtube is an odd thing. Maybe once his build is done I'll write something up, but Chris is a nice guy and I wish him the best in his project. It's definitely film-schedule driven and for a targeted audience.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I haven't really seen much of his builds but I noticed your place from the video thumbnail. Cool stuff.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

dreesemonkey posted:

I haven't really seen much of his builds but I noticed your place from the video thumbnail. Cool stuff.

Oh, wow, third party video evidence that you do, in fact, exist!

edit: could you please tell him that those white gauges are in fact rare OEM parts and not aftermarket? Or did he figure that out already?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 13, 2018

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

the spyder posted:

Haha, yep you got me. Youtube is an odd thing. Maybe once his build is done I'll write something up, but Chris is a nice guy and I wish him the best in his project. It's definitely film-schedule driven and for a targeted audience.

Yeah, I've seen enough of the b-build videos to know that I'm not the target audience.
Glad to see that you were a part of the process and able to help someone who seems beyond help in some of his content. :D (armchair observations are best observations)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Oh, wow, third party video evidence that you do, in fact, exist!

edit: could you please tell him that those white gauges are in fact rare OEM parts and not aftermarket? Or did he figure that out already?

He can be a bit light on details and this is a perfect example- the gauges have aftermarket glow faces. He was going to toss them so I grabbed them.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
The best part of this are the comments on his videos.

1) Best comment - Auditory compression tests are a rip off. Guess I should have charged him?

2) Runner up - The stock bumper is apparently worth $1000, which is great. Because I have like 5 of them. I'm rich!

3) Scariest - At least 2 5 people know where I live just based on the ~5 seconds of video.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 15, 2018

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The amount of people crying about all "your" rx7s sitting there is pretty good. Though there was at least one dude who recognized you from pineapple racing. That was kinda cool. :3:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

the spyder posted:

He can be a bit light on details and this is a perfect example- the gauges have aftermarket glow faces. He was going to toss them so I grabbed them.

Ah, OK, yeah, that's different. I know he has to edit for time and misses some detail. Don't tell him, but I run him at 1.25 (sometimes 1.5) speed because he talks too slow/much. To be fair, I do that to a lot of these type of videos. So little time, so many vids.

the spyder posted:

The best part of this are the comments on his videos.

1) Best comment - Auditory compression tests are a rip off. Guess I should have charged him?

Oh, jeeze. Yeah, it doesn't tell you absolute compression, but fine for a basic health check.

quote:

2) Runner up - The stock bumper is apparently worth $1000, which is great. Because I have like 5 of them. I'm rich!

Pfft. Not that bumper - it's no different from the US-spec bumper. Bet they're thinking the '99 JDM-only.

quote:

3) Scariest - At least 2 5 people know where I live just based on the ~5 seconds of video.

Well, the field of '7s is sort of distinctive if you've seen it, I suppose.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Makes me glad my field of 7s isn't visible from anywhere public.

(other than satellite)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I present pictures with no context. (Until later). Enjoy! lol

Random project updates:

I finally sanded the Spirit R BBS wheels and got them to the painter.

Teaser photo from the painter.

Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll put some time aside to actually work on my drat car. Haha. The wheels need 4 weeks to cure, so I've got some time.

I had John (Rotary Sandrail dude) bring his spare motor by. When we tore the last engine down, one of the housings needed replacement. Randomly he had a spare engine with 1 good housing, which means we can get his engine back together.

Heat

Rusty rotor from sitting.

Broken seal tip

Rotors

Another broken seal.

Front plate

And for now, it's going to live here until I have more time.

Daniel has been working on porting his 94 SSM's engine. I think we're finally done with porting- went for a medium street port to meet his power goals.

Random shop photo.

I've been putting more time in on the RHD FD. We kept being plagued by coolant temp sensor mis-readings. Turns out the plug was crap.

Broken coolant temp plug

Radiator

Eventually this mess in the wood working area will turn into a coil pack harness.

Borrowing the Montego Blue car's coil pack harness for reference...

RHD

Full shop

Ordered some shiny bits for the 20b project only to change the fuel system and not need them now. Ugh. Time to eBay them.

We got a small amount of work done on the LS car- engine is in and trans mount installed. We also made hard lines, but I forgot photos.

LS engine bay- shiny and chrome bitches!

This last weekend I helped Rob put a new motor in his truck. He decided to change from a early four port 13B to a S5 13B with higher compression and different porting.

Random Rx8 S2 Motor that we're going to try and put in a S1.

Nice day.

And yea, I've been helping Chris. Again, long story. Wish him the best with his project, but not my taste. Here's the last photo I took at 1am after giving him a hand wrapping it up before his trip.

So these last photos are from another project that was supposed to take half a day that's going to take 3 months. Car came in for a ECU install. Could not get it going so I started tearing it apart.

Destroyed fuel hose

Missing diffuser

Crimped fuel hose

Vac leak

Clamp not on barb

After all of that I deemed a compression test necessary. drat it.

Bastard car life support

So now we're looking at a engine rebuild/replacement.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 4, 2018

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Blue car update: The owner is going to rebuild/purchase a new motor. Until then it's on hold. Like three other projects here. drat it.

This glorious Gambler 500 car was parked in my normal lot.

RHD 92 Update- I've been slowly tuning this thing. It's been going decent- but I've learned there's definitely some areas I need to focus on. My goal is to become a local turner for these ECU's/cars.

Random purchases: I really should not be wasting money right now- but I couldn't help myself. First up are new headlights for my 94. I HATE the factory lights, but refuse to spend $900 on retrofits. (That use the same $99 Sonar headlights).

Decided to finally buy a intercooler piping bead roller for all the upcoming work.

Last weekend I picked up my wheels. I'm half excited, half disappointed. If anyone ever comes across a good painter in the NW, let me know. I definitely got what I paid for, but drat it. These are darker then they should have been and there's some pretty large defects. I spent a few days thinking about sending them back, but you know what- they look good and I'm honestly the only one who will know they aren't OEM colored. If it really bugs me, I'll have them touched up after the paint cures. Only two.5 weeks to go!

Here's the color difference against my other Hyperblack PIAA wheels. Like I said, I'm kinda falling for the graphite look.

I also dropped these two engines off at Rob's to be gone through. These are for two long-term project cars I reached out to the owners on and let them know we need to get them outta here. Baby steps.

Daniel's 94 SSM motor is slowly coming together... rotors are cleaned and oil control rings installed.

While I was at Rob's, I was coerced into cleaning! I'm betting it has something to do with the... 7 shelves of motors I have torn down there.... Sorry Rob!

Something-something over night parts from Japan.

As part of cleaning I was gifted 4 additional CX-7/9 turbos.

And this AWESOME collection of re-plated OEM hardware. Not pictured- another 10lb box. Super handy to have on hand.

I'm sure I have posted this, but drat it's cool to have a scale 3d printed rotor.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 8, 2018

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

the spyder posted:

And yea, I've been helping Chris. Again, long story. Wish him the best with his project, but not my taste. Here's the last photo I took at 1am after giving him a hand wrapping it up before his trip.

Yeah, maybe you shot it from a good angle, but I really like the front fender / bumper combo on there.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Commodore_64 posted:

Yeah, maybe you shot it from a good angle, but I really like the front fender / bumper combo on there.

That’s the one that goes with the kit. He decided to go with the repro Rocket Bunny bumper since it has those extensions to the flares molded in, and the repro RE Amemiya he had was poorly made. He added a splitter to the bottom that also improved the look, getting rid of the receding chin.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
The splitter was due to the bumper sagging over an inch due to the mounting holes/fiberglass flex. The wheel hit the bumper without it. It was ~1am when we found the M5 lip and jokingly tossed it on there. None of us believed how well it fit and it looked good. The car definitely makes a statement.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Biiiiiggggg photo dump. And maybe a video if it ever uploads.

Let's start this out with the bad news. My Tesla invite just showed up. Half of me says do it. Half of me says be responsible, pay off your debt and don't do it.

When I visited Cars and Coffee this little guy was there on display. I'm torn. I need to drive one to decide.

On one hand, it's a dream car. On the other I would be better off paying off my CC debt and replacing my wife's Fiesta ST if it ever sells. So who knows what will happen.

I'm going to have to come back to this one. The short edit is: Parts car I bought a year ago, recovered it from my parents house. Sold the drivers quarter panel and started to realize it could be a fun gokart. Inspected the frame and it's screwed. Not sure what to do with it. Oh and have a laugh at the "Pro shop" installed dual fuel pumps. Can you say death trap?

Wrecked loading

Wrecked trailer- Ramp fail

Wrecked

Wrecked- Dead hatch glass

Wrecked - Front Cutup

WRECKED-Smashed rear

WRECKED-Cut front end

Wrecked-Offcuts

Wrecked- CUT QP

Wrecked-Trans damage

WRECKED- Cut and parted.

WRECKED- Trans damage

WRECKED-QP Bondo

QP- Tape lines

Wrecked-AIRBAG

FP-Hanger

FP-WTF

FP-RELAY

FP-WTF

FP-WTF

FP-WTF

It's a full house around here.

Quick snap of my Dad's Mercedes from when we picked up the wrecked 93. He's been making good progress getting the last few bugs worked out of it.

Tossed our daughter in the Montego Blue FD while we pushed it. I'm thinking Future FD owner. Just don't tell mom or my wallet.

Probably the best part of this thread: My wheels and tires are mounted! Ignore that one is darker and one is now chipped. I will be taking them in for touchup/respray in a few weeks.

I'm missing this car hard. I just filed for insurance for it, hoping to take it out on this 90f+ weekend. This week after work I'll be wrapping up the remaining mods I have for it.

RHD FD- It's almost gone!
Stopped by Radium Engineering on a test drive.

Minus the bumper its a great little car.

Except the cluster. It's dead. No idea what spilled on this circuit board, but it's cooked past my ability to save it. So I made a frankin cluster from another RHD cluster. Testing it tonight.

Oregon has had one of its worst years for pollen. Cars have been yellow from the fallout and I've been suffering from crazy allergies. I learned if you don't wash the cars off, it becomes a paste like glue. So everything got a bath last weekend. We'll repeat it again this weekend.

Clean cars

Decided to go to our local C+C with the RHD last minute. Decent turn out, but I'm terrible at photos.
This of course meant I had to wash the RHD at 10PM at night.

20B Update:
I dropped my chassis off at the body shop to have the frame rail inspected and pulled if necessary. I could never get a straight measurement off the chassis. Time to find out how bad it is.

Well, Oil pan update. It's here and I apparently had to take at least 4 pictures of it. It won't be done for a while due to health issues my machinist is having, but I've got plenty to do in the mean time.

The 94 SSM engine is now at the shop. Owner keeps adding things to his build though- no idea when it's going to run.

The black 93 Touring now has a rebuilt engine with a minor port job. Should be good enough to get it back on the road.

Please take a moment of silence for this rotting FD. I've contacted the owner multiple times and here it still sits...

This/last weeks bad decisions:
Powder coating sounds like fun... ordered a gun and powder from a local firm.

DEEZ NUTZ - I ran out of Rivnuts. No idea why I took a photo.

20B Parts are slowly showing up. Not pictured- PC925 battery.
96" of fuel rail should be plenty, right?

Waytek you bastard. I've now got 90% of the stuff to make a harness or 10.

RHDJAPAN shipment arrived. New 17" rear brake caliper brackets and some misc gaskets/studs.

I've been wanting to build a AEM IGN-1A Coil pack harness because I'm too cheap to pay $250 for a pre-made on.
Definitely was a learning experience, but it should work.

I stumbled upon a local distributor doing their pre-move sale and stocked up on Makita tools. Just kidding, only half are mine- buddy wanted some chargers/batts/saw for work.

I really wanted this Makita Impact- my 1/2" Ingersoll Rand just died and this should take it's place nicely.

Random:
So far the Makita is exactly as awesome as predicted.

It's spring so I'm pretending to be a farmer again. Neighbor is nice enough to let me borrow his JD with a 48" tiller.

Hustler in the shop for service.

Turbos - I now have eight of these CX-7 and MS3 turbos... what to do....

Random Cobra at work

Camaro in downtown Portland. Looked clean.
Camaro

Camaro

Parting fortune from rob @ pineapple's weekly lunch. Good times

the spyder fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 8, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Whenever you have two bags of rivnuts, you got a party.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Go on...

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
You really need to stop letting your brother drive, he keep wrecking cars.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Despite my amazement that I even have these parts in my physical possession, two things are blocking the next steps.
1) I dropped my FD off at the body shop two weeks ago for a ~4 hour job.... que typical body shop BS about being busy/backed up. It's a waiting game now and I need that chassis to finish the subframe.
2) This is the bad news. Our machinist went in for a routine cancer screening ended up needing several growths removed. He's recovering and it will be a month or so until he can even look at them. I don't want to find someone else to finish them, so again- just a waiting game. Gives me plenty of time to get everything else ready.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

wargames posted:

You really need to stop letting your brother drive, he keep wrecking cars.

Can't blame him this time. I bought this wreck a year ago and am just now getting to it. A friend needed the drivers quarter panel- one of only four straight panels on the car. Once I started hacking... bad ideas were formed. I'll update the post :).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

the spyder posted:

Biiiiiggggg photo dump. And maybe a video if it ever uploads.

When you can't find your nuts...

quote:

Well, that's one way to do it, I suppose.

the spyder posted:

Can't blame him this time. I bought this wreck a year ago and am just now getting to it. A friend needed the drivers quarter panel- one of only four straight panels on the car. Once I started hacking... bad ideas were formed. I'll update the post :).

RX-Kart!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

Exocet. Exocet. Exocet.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Exocet. Exocet. Exocet.

:dogbutton:

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
TR3A - what's going on there?

gently caress Cancer - Build Car.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Wait, I'm confused. Did you buy a model 3 or a second gen Camaro?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Do you still feel bad when you see wrecked LHD FDs? Because I do.

edit:

is this going on the ruined red car:

jamal posted:

Saw this, thought of your thread

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Octopus Magic posted:

edit:

is this going on the ruined red car: