Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

I wonder how many of them are lefties who have come just so they can tweet all the funny bits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

ABC posted:

Wealthy property investors should be excluded from making hefty tax deductions if negative gearing laws are overhauled, according to controversial research out today.

I dont think that's very controversial, Aunty.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

gently caress Michelle Guthrie with the dumbing down of the ABC. It's so obvious when you look at their news website these days.

Bring back state based 730 on Fridays, I miss that.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Make New Matilda the new ABC imho

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

Minister for Women Kelly O'Dwyer has warned the "me too" movement could "silence the very women it wants to help".
In her first significant speech since taking on the portfolio, Ms O'Dwyer said the global movement - which began with sexual assault allegations against Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein and generated investigations into several high-profile Australians - had sent a message on the need to end harassment.
"But as the 'me too' movement continues to sweep the world, we need to think about the implications - both good and bad - that come with the airing of allegations in a public forum," she said in a speech ahead of International Women's Day on Thursday.

Worthless opinions, desperately run up the public flagpole in a faltering search for relevance.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

What if we just kept merging unions to create one union that united all of the workers together?

:ussr: :thunk:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Anidav posted:

What if we just kept merging unions to create one union that united all of the workers together?

:ussr: :thunk:

This has been a goal of smart people for ages, but fiefdoms exist and often make it more or less impossible to unite a single union's state branches.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

This has been a goal of smart people for ages, but fiefdoms exist and often make it more or less impossible to unite a single union's state branches.

How's changing the ALP from within going

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I noticed this from sky news this morning

Did you guys know that since January Alan Tudge is the "Minister of Citizenship"

What the gently caress is going on with our immigration department lol, they're one goose step away from wearing space marine armor.

How is this allowed lol. Minister of literally gently caress you, learn English and drink VB.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Minister of Citizenship
Minister of Truth
Minister of Australian Values
Minister of Deportation
Minister of Maritime Security

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Did you guys know that since January Alan Tudge is the "Minister of Citizenship"

What the gently caress is going on with our immigration department lol, they're one goose step away from wearing space marine armor.

How is this allowed lol. Minister of literally gently caress you, learn English and drink VB.

He's also trying to bring back the English test laws.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

He's also trying to bring back the English test laws.

Isn't he one of the nationals who can barely spit out a dixer when called upon and is cheered by his party like a child reciting their first sentence for simply showing basic comprehension after doing so? Or am I thinking of another coalition member who cannot seem to grasp public speaking?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Dimebag posted:

Isn't he one of the nationals who can barely spit out a dixer when called upon and is cheered by his party like a child reciting their first sentence for simply showing basic comprehension after doing so? Or am I thinking of another coalition member who cannot seem to grasp public speaking?

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Re: Tasmanian election result. I just don't think the liberal party was involved in any major political scandals big enough to get them kicked out after a single term ala Queensland. Its pretty much been business as usual for the last four years. Not that that business has always been good for everybody but our hospitals and schools have been hosed for so long I expect most have just gotten used to the shittery.

That and the high levels of lead.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

This is basically the title of the joke department in The Thick of It.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Someone keeps leaking to the Australian

Greens NSW MP Jeremy Buckingham faces moves to expel him from the party after he allegedly failed to follow Greens policy in an interview on the ABC.

The party’s state convener Debbie Gibson confirmed yesterday there was an active complaint against Mr Buckingham which had been lodged at the end of December.

The complaint centres on an appearance on the ABC’s 4 Corners program where Mr Buckingham said his efforts to democratise the NSW party had been blocked by Greens Senator Lee Rhiannon and the left faction of the party.

However, the NSW Greens convener suspended the complaint process when Mr Buckingham requested for the party provide him with $30,000 to seek legal advice to potentially take action against the complainants.

The most recent State Delegate Council clarified that the complaint against Mr Buckingham is still active but the original conflict resolution committee has been suspended.

The complaint states NSW Greens should no longer ignore problematic behaviour to avoid confrontation. “The Greens NSW can no longer, like some institutions, turn a blind eye to serious misbehaviour by its MPs or sweep it under the carpet.,’’ the complaint says.

“Continued toleration of such behaviour, in the belief that this will avoid conflict or negative media coverage, is not justified.”

The trouble in NSW comes as a misconduct claim made by 18 Greens members seeking to expel Greens Batman by-election candidate Alex Bhathal for allegedly branch stacking, bullying, intimidation and victimisation was cleared by a party committee which is prohibited from making adverse findings of fact in contravention. The Victorian party’s constitution mandates a 28-day notice period for the subject of a complaint, a formal meeting of the state council and potentially the establishment of a group to further investigate. Ms Bhathal denies the claims.

A complaint against Mr Buckingham was made after he allegedly punched a Greens member in the shoulder at a rally in Sydney in 2014. Hall Greenland, who was the 2014 NSW Greens Convenor, says there were several complaints against Mr Buckingham regarding overbearing and aggressive behaviour which resulted in resolution after some time. “There were a number of incidents in 2014 that members thought his behaviour was aggressive and lodged complaints which were mediated and after some delay Jeremy apologised and the matters were settled.” he said.

Several Greens members have told The Australian that Mr Buckingham’s behaviour is intentionally intimidating, he often threatens legal action in response to complaints and is obsessed with left factionalism. They also said he regularly refuses to attend mediation when complaints are made against him.

A Greens insider told The Australian the party’s policies were not robust enough to manage a rogue MP. “When a side has learnt it can scream and threaten the party and get away with it they will.” she said. “I care a lot about the party, I want to believe in us being a grassroots party where our MPs are beholden to our members, but we just haven’t figured out how to do that yet.”

Former Greens staffer Tom Raue lodged a complaint against Mr Buckingham after he cornered him in an elevator after Mr Raue criticised Mr Buckingham in an online Greens discussion forum in 2016. He claimed Mr Buckingham called him a coward and he and his staffer Max Philips prevented him from exiting the elevator. The complaint was resolved after Mr Buckingham and Mr Philips agreed to stay away from Mr Raue. “I was quite scared by it.” he said. ‘It’s not what I thought the Greens were.”

In response to The Australian’s questions regarding his behaviour, Mr Buckingham said the more left-leaning segments of the party were attempting to malign him. “The divisive Left Renewal faction should stop trying to smear me and the party, and should join the rest of the Greens who are focused on stopping the Adani coal mine and saving the Darling River.” he said.

The Australian understands the Left Renewal movement, founded by Young Greens members, is no longer active within the party.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Lid posted:

Someone keeps leaking to the Australian

is it you?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Nah id leak in the bushes but i would only piss on the Aus

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Lid posted:

The Australian understands the Left Renewal movement, founded by Young Greens members, is no longer active within the party.

lol

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dimebag posted:

No, he's an outer east Melbourne suburbs Liberal MP. Dumb as poo poo, he was responsible for the Centrelink Debt call out fiasco.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

gently caress me he's my local MP.

loving hell

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The first Victorian Council has been informed by their kerbside recycling collector that service is suspended immediately lol

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

The first Victorian Council has been informed by their kerbside recycling collector that service is suspended immediately lol

Which one is it out of interest as today is recycle day for me area?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

So what happens when the federal government is too stupid to fix the issue and recycling dies in Australia before some private company 'fixes' it and charges us all a subscription for it?

Uber Trash?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

Shorten a 'craven populist' for pushing minimum wage rise, Turnbull says

Just look at that headline, just marvel at it.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Solemn Sloth posted:

Uh which one? This is going to be big. And what do I do with the rubbish tomorrow?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

hooman posted:

Just look at that headline, just marvel at it.

Pot, kettle, etc.

Edit: I'm dumb, leaving my mistake for people to laugh at. Just worked out what was actually said in that headline. Oh, that's good.

Intoluene fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 7, 2018

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

tithin posted:

gently caress me he's my local MP.

loving hell

what up fellow outer-easter

gently caress tudge, so much

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Comstar posted:

Uh which one? This is going to be big. And what do I do with the rubbish tomorrow?

Just chuck it in the ocean with the rest of it.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Intoluene posted:

Pot, kettle, etc.

Yeah it's spectacular isn't it. Turnbull who trumpets causes people like but instantly caves to the hard right of his own party, the definition of a craven populist, calls out Bill Shorten for doing literally the opposite of being a craven populist by having a slightly brave policy that idiots will generally disagree is good but is totally necessary for the country.

holy poo poo.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Coucho Marx posted:

what up fellow outer-easter

gently caress tudge, so much

he showed up with his entire entourage at alchester village one day and I called him a waste of skin

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

You Am I posted:

Which one is it out of interest as today is recycle day for me area?

Comstar posted:

Macedon Ranges, Last I heard council is advising residents to continue putting out recycling with a further update to come later today

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I just assumed they'd take it to landfill

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
And for a comedy pick me up:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/laundy/9522114

quote:

'Massive impact': Laundy issues warning over super union Wednesday 7 March 2018 7:37AM (view full episode)

The country's industrial landscape is set to be transformed through the creation of a mega trade union which business leaders are warning will entrench unlawful conduct and will be a disaster for supply chains from the "pit to the port". The CFMEU has been given the go ahead by the Fair Work Commission to merge with the Maritime Union and the Textile, Clothing and Footwear Union giving it more than 140,000 members and a revenue stream of close to $150 million a year. TCF National Secretary Michele O'Neil says the super union will write a new chapter in Australian workplace relations.

Best bit? Laundy denying that his policies are like those of Nazi Germany.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Don't worry. Recycling didn't exist anyway because they just sell it to some overseas landfill or secretly bury it in Ipswich.

No big loss. Just mail it to Ipswich.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cartoon posted:

And for a comedy pick me up:

quote:

CFMEU has been given the go ahead by the Fair Work Commission to merge with the Maritime Union and the Textile, Clothing and Footwear Union

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/laundy/9522114

gently caress me, that sounds like one hell of a union.

:getin:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

bell jar posted:

I just assumed they'd take it to landfill

It’s the collector thedispute is with though, also I just reread the press release and it’s all council waste collection services that have been suspended, so garbage, recycling and organics.

Mount Alexander has just put out something saying they’re in the same boat.

fwiw I’d be really surprised if there was an interruption of services to any metro councils, but a fair few rural councils and collectors are hanging on by a thread

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I think Dandrews announced $13m to help councils affected last week, but I doubt that's enough

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
nationalise the waste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Recycle the Nationals

• Locked thread