Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Giant unions and a minimum wage rise policy? Is it my birthday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Don't think this has been posted yet. Worrisome but informative piece in the Grau about country Australia's weird obsession with cutting down trees even when there's no bloody point to it. I grew up in the country and the personalities in this article — good and bad — all sound familiar.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/mar/07/scorched-country-the-destruction-of-australias-native-landscape

quote:

Julie – also not her real name – owns another block of land in central Queensland.

“Conservation is probably the wrong word in terms of, I just think the country should be in good nick,” Julie says, describing why she doesn’t clear aggressively on her land.

She says the vegetation helps to keep rain on her property, rather than allowing it to wash off into the channel country. The trees pull up trace elements from deep in the sandy soil, and the leaves fertilise the ground. They also attract birds, which keep some of the bugs under control.

Julie says neighbours see her as weird for not clearing – and also for being a woman running her land without a man. As a result, she says her neighbours have stolen her cattle and shot her dogs.

“There is still a huge cultural thing about the male conquering everything,” Julie says, trying to explain the attitude of her neighbours.

Also I had no idea how much of the wilderness we've destroyed since invasion.

quote:

With its fertile soil, Victoria was the fastest and hardest hit, and it is now Australia’s most cleared state, with 66% of its native vegetation gone.

Queensland was late to the game, but the clearing occurring there now outweighs the clearing in all other states combined. Rates there are rising, and they currently sit at about 395,000 hectares per year – steadily approaching the peaks the state saw in the 1980s and early 2000s.

All up, since Europeans arrived, Australia has lost more than 40% of its forested area.

A Guardian Australia analysis of national vegetation data, shows less than 50% of Australia’s original wilderness still exists, leaving the majority of its original native vegetation cleared or significantly modified.

As much as Anglo-Australia loves to do wise, misty-eyed squints at the horizon while saying something noble about the bush, we also love cutting it the gently caress down non-stop.

It's similar here in Japan I expect; everyone believing they live in harmony with nature while bulldozing it, assuming there must be more somewhere else. There was a whole ad campaign on the trains recently, for the logging industry I assume... I couldn't understand it perfectly but the gist was clearly, "Come and be manly yet sensitive young men, working in the forest and appreciating the rugged beauty of the forest and also cutting down the forest."

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

The Before Times posted:

I think Dandrews announced $13m to help councils affected last week, but I doubt that's enough

Yeah, the problems are:

1) you’re correct, it’s not enough
2) affected council = every single council
3) while they did the press release and all to get credit for acting in the two weeks since they still haven’t released details of how the funding will work so how can people start negotiating interim contracts
4) the sustainability fund has like $700m sitting in it and is explicitly purposed for work on improving waste management in Victoria but instead of dipping into it for major market crisis like this they give parks Victoria tens of millions for asset management and dumb poo poo like that

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Birdstrike posted:

nationalise the waste

canberra already exists

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Don't think this has been posted yet. Worrisome but informative piece in the Grau about country Australia's weird obsession with cutting down trees even when there's no bloody point to it. I grew up in the country and the personalities in this article — good and bad — all sound familiar.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/mar/07/scorched-country-the-destruction-of-australias-native-landscape

Also I had no idea how much of the wilderness we've destroyed since invasion.

As much as Anglo-Australia loves to do wise, misty-eyed squints at the horizon while saying something noble about the bush, we also love cutting it the gently caress down non-stop.

It's similar here in Japan I expect; everyone believing they live in harmony with nature while bulldozing it, assuming there must be more somewhere else. There was a whole ad campaign on the trains recently, for the logging industry I assume... I couldn't understand it perfectly but the gist was clearly, "Come and be manly yet sensitive young men, working in the forest and appreciating the rugged beauty of the forest and also cutting down the forest."

quote:

Seabrook says this harsh attitude is partly based on fear and defensiveness. “There’s this mental thing that if you’re feeling guilty – and I think a lot of farmers have been made to feel guilty – you then get very cross if someone is sitting there and they can actually survive very nicely thank you with 30% of native vegetation on their land.”
Does anybody itt know how, why or who by?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

bell jar posted:

How's changing the ALP from within going

I already replied to this meme. The polls are great.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

tithin posted:

australia already exists

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yeah, the problems are:

1) you’re correct, it’s not enough
2) affected council = every single council
3) while they did the press release and all to get credit for acting in the two weeks since they still haven’t released details of how the funding will work so how can people start negotiating interim contracts
4) the sustainability fund has like $700m sitting in it and is explicitly purposed for work on improving waste management in Victoria but instead of dipping into it for major market crisis like this they give parks Victoria tens of millions for asset management and dumb poo poo like that

yep and some of the smaller rural councils are fukt notwithstanding the waste management issue.

If it's anything like the majority of vicgov funds, the Sustainability fund is probably chronically oversubscribed and already has too many applications in the pipeline lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm loving all of the sad losers getting angry about the MFB deal. Unions are useless! They don't do anything! Unions are too powerful! Unions are controlling the government and get perks from Labor! I won't join my union I get the "benefits" anyway!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This union deal is disgusting when thousands of workers get no pay increases and no benefits!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Does anybody itt know how, why or who by?

The extreme greenies

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
my favourite thing is that they're implying staff are going to take advantage of ALL THE LEAVE. it's not like they get paid out if they don't take the 4 days' bereavement leave or whatever

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Australians.gif

:qq:

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Julie says neighbours see her as weird for not clearing – and also for being a woman running her land without a man. As a result, she says her neighbours have stolen her cattle and shot her dogs.

Quite the escalation there.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

There have been stories of midnight bulldozing ("to beat those city bastards") of the Wimmera for years, they're a bit insane about it out there.

Are they still trying to grow pines out on the Bourke road? Hectares of dead trees from drought and ringbarking by cattle.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JBP posted:

I'm loving all of the sad losers getting angry about the MFB deal. Unions are useless! They don't do anything! Unions are too powerful! Unions are controlling the government and get perks from Labor! I won't join my union I get the "benefits" anyway!

If you have that many people as part of one organisation it will have way too much power and immediately lead to them abusing their power!

*Quietly ignores the 210,000+ people employed by the Coles/Woolies duopoly*

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

JBP posted:

"WHAT DOES THE UFU HAVE ON DANIEL ANDREWS?!?!" is probably my favourite insane conspiracy theory.

The Before Times posted:

my favourite thing is that they're implying staff are going to take advantage of ALL THE LEAVE. it's not like they get paid out if they don't take the 4 days' bereavement leave or whatever

4 weeks annual leave. 13 public holidays. Average firefighter works 42 hours a week (48 hours over 5 days). Gets paid for 38. Unpaid hours get accrued as leave. It's really not that remarkable. But the Hun loving hates the UFU. They've given the UFU something like 35+ front pages over the last few years. And now other agencies are jumping on a lovely, half-baked story.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

I already replied to this meme. The polls are great.

Having your empty suit of a leader be slightly more popular than previously is not changing the alp from within.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

The Before Times posted:

yep and some of the smaller rural councils are fukt notwithstanding the waste management issue.

If it's anything like the majority of vicgov funds, the Sustainability fund is probably chronically oversubscribed and already has too many applications in the pipeline lol

Nah the actual answer is they’d rather have the cash sitting their propping up the credit rating than use it for the purposes it is collected for

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

NPR Journalizard posted:

Having your empty suit of a leader be slightly more popular than previously is not changing the alp from within.

:shepface:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dude McAwesome posted:

"WHAT DOES THE UFU HAVE ON DANIEL ANDREWS?!?!" is probably my favourite insane conspiracy theory.

4 weeks annual leave. 13 public holidays. Average firefighter works 42 hours a week (48 hours over 5 days). Gets paid for 38. Unpaid hours get accrued as leave. It's really not that remarkable. But the Hun loving hates the UFU. They've given the UFU something like 35+ front pages over the last few years. And now other agencies are jumping on a lovely, half-baked story.

I've done like 100+ EBAs I reckon and I've seen butter factories on a similar wicket. It's loving sad.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

They'll piss themselves to death if change the rules can make headway on industry level bargaining

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
JBP isn't an ALP member afaik.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

JBP posted:

They'll piss themselves to death if change the rules can make headway on industry level bargaining

Sorry JBP, what does this mean?

Are there big changes coming to industry level bargaining? (EBAs?)

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Dude McAwesome posted:

Sorry JBP, what does this mean?

Are there big changes coming to industry level bargaining? (EBAs?)

ALP wants to make it so, iirc.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Dude McAwesome posted:

yeah but Firefighters COULD GET up to 190 DAYS PAID LEAVE*!!!

*that's if they take family violence leave, bereavement leave, all their sick/carers leave, parenting leave, study leave, and all of their rec leave in one year, but we'll focus on how it's UNION THUGGERY GONE MAD

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

thatbastardken posted:

JBP isn't an ALP member afaik.

No, but why let the facts get in the way of a good thread lynching?

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Intoluene posted:

ALP wants to make it so, iirc.

They'll gently caress it up somehow. All workers get two weeks mandatory coal mining leave. All workers must participate in locking up refugees.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Before Times posted:

yeah but Firefighters COULD GET up to 190 DAYS PAID LEAVE*!!!

*that's if they take family violence leave, bereavement leave, all their sick/carers leave, parenting leave, study leave, and all of their rec leave in one year, but we'll focus on how it's UNION THUGGERY GONE MAD

The sad part is even if that was true, I'm like "good for them, everyone should get 190 days paid leave".

There is no crab bucket.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
barnababy possibly a canababy

journalism rules

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

hooman posted:

The sad part is even if that was true, I'm like "good for them, everyone should get 190 days paid leave".

There is no crab bucket.

especially firies and other emergency service workers.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

The father ends up being Warren Truss

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Based on how our entire political landscape has degenerated into a soap and the 30th newspoll will be due next month. I propose next month's thread title be as follows:

Auspol April - The days of our knives

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Shorten a 'craven populist' for pushing minimum wage rise, Turnbull says

lol

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

omg

Does this mean Barnaby has been cucked?

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Isnt Canavan supposed to be pretty trusted by Barnaby as well?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

omg

Does this mean Barnaby has been cucked?

canavanutted

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

or, you know, wisely following the advice of the RBA governor: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-29/rba-governor-philip-lowe-goes-marxist/8662228

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Anidav posted:

The father ends up being Warren Truss *Checks nuts* Bill Shorten.
Are we accepting of Truecrimesweekly as benchmark journalism these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Cartoon posted:

Are we accepting of Truecrimesweekly as benchmark journalism these days?

It has to be true, it says so right there in the name!

• Locked thread