Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
cascas gonna give femto a demon baby an say they're even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

technically she already did, incidentally

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
casca is gonna fist femto and it'll work like the rickert slap cause he wont see it coming the end

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

drjuggalo posted:

cascas gonna give femto a demon baby an say they're even

I'm pretty sure I read this one already.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Casca is going to be the one to use the behelit guts has been dragging around, someone else in the thread called it like 8 years ago but they are probably right.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I just realized, depending on how much she remembers from when she was crazy, Casca is going to have the mother of all culture shocks when she wakes up. Last time she was sane they were basically stuck in Hell, now they're in the middle of loving Tir Na Nog. That uh, might take a while to explain.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zasze posted:

Casca is going to be the one to use the behelit guts has been dragging around, someone else in the thread called it like 8 years ago but they are probably right.

Probably yeah. Guts is gonna have just all the brands.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Zasze posted:

I think I've seen this idea few times in the past week, but aren't branded people unable to activate behelits? Could've sworn there was some story caveat where being branded had side effects beyond being the lunch platter for demons.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Andrigaar posted:

I think I've seen this idea few times in the past week, but aren't branded people unable to activate behelits? Could've sworn there was some story caveat where being branded had side effects beyond being the lunch platter for demons.

I thought so too but looking back, in the Guardians of Desire arc, the Godhand said Guts couldn't be one of them because he wasn't ordained by the laws of fate. Flash forward 200+ chapters and in Qliphoth, Slan implies that Guts can use the behilit to make a sacrifice. So... I guess it's possible?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Oh Gawdhand, that tired misunderstood thing again?

I'm a strong proponent of the idea that Behi is waiting for Casca (all it takes it despair to activate, and what more would she consciously have except immediately after walking). I'm certain I've posted before laying out all the references that fail to say anything about branded individuals using Behelits (but search isn't working well in the app, so maybe from a real computer).

Either that or it's so annoying to hear yet again... "Post your proof".

Edit: We also don't know what a Behelit does now that the planes are intertwined.

Edit: Page 258, though no recollection of whether or not it's discussed earlier in the thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2538641&pagenumber=258&perpage=40#post473203570

Edit: Also let us not forget the Skull Knight in our speculations. I wonder if he got trapped on the wrong side of existence when Femto jumped through the slice in the universe.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 7, 2018

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

U-DO Burger posted:

I thought so too but looking back, in the Guardians of Desire arc, the Godhand said Guts couldn't be one of them because he wasn't ordained by the laws of fate. Flash forward 200+ chapters and in Qliphoth, Slan implies that Guts can use the behilit to make a sacrifice. So... I guess it's possible?

"One of Them" most likely meant one of the godhand because only the red behelits can turn someone into a godhand and Slan had been impressed with how Guts didn't just get mulched by Femto. The only thing, I think, that's been really confirmed about branded people is that they can't be sacrificed again.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Part of using the behilit is sacrificing something you care about, and considering everything she's lost, the only thing Casca has left that she cares about is Guts. And she can't sacrifice him cause Griffith already did.

She couldn't sacrifice any of the other party members, because she literally just woke up and doesn't really know who they are, and she can't sacrifice the moon child because he's not even there right now, Griffith has him.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Edit: We also don't know what a Behelit does now that the planes are intertwined.

maybe in this post-doomtree world the behilit functions as a warp whistle that guts and friends can use to begin their godhand boss rush

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Part of using the behilit is sacrificing something you care about, and considering everything she's lost, the only thing Casca has left that she cares about is Guts. And she can't sacrifice him cause Griffith already did.

She couldn't sacrifice any of the other party members, because she literally just woke up and doesn't really know who they are, and she can't sacrifice the moon child because he's not even there right now, Griffith has him.
Rickert's days are numbered, I tell you.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I just realized, depending on how much she remembers from when she was crazy, Casca is going to have the mother of all culture shocks when she wakes up. Last time she was sane they were basically stuck in Hell, now they're in the middle of loving Tir Na Nog. That uh, might take a while to explain.

The first thing she's gonna say is "IS THAT A MOTHERFUCKING ELF?! WHAT?!"

U-DO Burger posted:

maybe in this post-doomtree world the behilit functions as a warp whistle that guts and friends can use to begin their godhand boss rush

Casca taps Behdi and it screams a hole open for Skull knight to be her taxi. DEMONIC UBER.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

You can sacrifice concepts, I guess? Like how that one guy sacrificed the world or whatever. Maybe she could sacrifice Griffith. Or like, the idea of Griffith.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I’m surprised Griffith doesn’t need to kill guts and casca to complete his sacrifice.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
It's really tempting to assume that some caveat in the metaphysical laws that govern the world will be the God Hand's undoing, but I don't think they're above going "nuh-uh it doesn't work like that because reasons" if it suits them.

I mean, there'll probably still be some loophole beyond that, but we've already seen Skull Knight fail spectacularly at using ultramagic to slice open Femto.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The way I figure the Behelit issue is that someone branded cannot be sacrifice fodder, they already have been. So there isn't any reason someone branded couldn't use one. Just that Guts was not ordained for the God Hand's memership. Guts loving hates those guys a lot or something.

I bet the loophole that ends femto is that when the egg of the world ate the happy couple's demon-induced miscarriage and then femto took being using the egg as a shell it might make him vulnerable. He even comes around once to see if he feels anything.

Also Casca's thing has been a straight sword instead of a saber or something, I bet she ends up with the Behelit sword and shoves it up Femto's cloaca.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 7, 2018

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Nuebot posted:

You can sacrifice concepts, I guess? Like how that one guy sacrificed the world or whatever. Maybe she could sacrifice Griffith. Or like, the idea of Griffith.

He's using her child's body right? She could sacrifice that and therefore him possibly.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Koalas March posted:

He's using her child's body right? She could sacrifice that and therefore him possibly.

that would be irony at its finest and I hope this happens

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Her despair activates the Behelit but she rejects the deal because that's a thing that can happen, as shown in the very first time a Behelit was activated and the count refused to sacrifice his daughter.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Griffith on Earth is only Femto's physical earthly body though, it's not actually the only manifestation of Femto.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it might serve to weaken him. casca cares about guts, griffith and her dead mutant baby. using two out of three which are now kind of the same person for her sacrifice could work maybe, why not? however, that would be the end of casca and having her do that immediately after the culmination of several hundred chapters of guts trying to save her would be a huge punch in the dick.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
She may not want what you want.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Friendship with Guts ended. Now Farnese is my best friend.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The Griffith on Earth is only Femto's physical earthly body though, it's not actually the only manifestation of Femto.

They're the same thing now because of the merger.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nuebot posted:

That guy sacrificed himself, didn't he? His wish was for the world to be transformed.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

They're the same thing now because of the merger.

Which is interesting, because he is now far more attached to Guts and Casca than he cares to admit.

I really think the conflict between those three is going to come down to the fact that Griffith is now their son.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
i hope it ends with a group hug and a handshake like when guts left hawks, except griffith returns it this time.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
It's kind of tragic how different things could have been if Guts had told Griffith that he was leaving to become someone he would consider worthy of being his friend.

Well besides the whole malevolent fate thing.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

It's kind of tragic how different things could have been if Guts had told Griffith that he was leaving to become someone he would consider worthy of being his friend.

Well besides the whole malevolent fate thing.

Griffith didn't care about the reason. He wants subjects not friends. His spiel about only equals can be his friends is bullshit because he was a landless mercenary on the same level as the rest of the Band of the Hawk. He has a superiority complex and has been full of himself throughout the story.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 7, 2018

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Griffith sort of believes his bullshit, but it threatens his superiority if Guts is on his level or could even surpass him. He's a complicated creature that was predestined to be made and shaped into a narcissistic psychopath, yet the sacrifice wouldn't work if he didn't actually care about Guts, Casca or the Hawks. Not just as valuable property, but something that is precious to him on an emotional and personal level. Something that made him human. And as much as he hates to admit it, the sacrifice still wouldn't have been a sacrifice if those emotions and connections weren't still there, now only amplified by also becoming their kid with that demon still caring about his parents despite his demonic urges.

Now the first thing I expect after Casca walking around talking is a shot of Griffith feeling this and staring out in controlled, but still discernible shock.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Crabtree posted:

Griffith sort of believes his bullshit, but it threatens his superiority if Guts is on his level or could even surpass him. He's a complicated creature that was predestined to be made and shaped into a narcissistic psychopath, yet the sacrifice wouldn't work if he didn't actually care about Guts, Casca or the Hawks. Not just as valuable property, but something that is precious to him on an emotional and personal level. Something that made him human. And as much as he hates to admit it, the sacrifice still wouldn't have been a sacrifice if those emotions and connections weren't still there, now only amplified by also becoming their kid with that demon still caring about his parents despite his demonic urges.

Now the first thing I expect after Casca walking around talking is a shot of Griffith feeling this and staring out in controlled, but still discernible shock.

This has always been my take. The sacrifice is you burning the bridges of your humanity in the most intimate and visceral way.

U-DO Burger posted:

TBH I think this is the story's new direction - guts and party restoring the world one demonic curbstomp at a time

Good soup! posted:

The 97 series did well by having it begin when he makes his way into town to gently caress poo poo up at the tavern and send the message to the snake baron

When me and my friend watched that series for the first time knowing nothing about Berserk, when Guts breaks out the dragonslayer at the tavern we both said simultaneously "now *that's* a big sword!"

We were sorta hooked from that point

Oh god, memories. We had gotten a copy of most of the series from a supernerd friend of his. We were going to watch an ep or two before bed (he was my roomate at the time, you jerks) and we ended up marathoning everything we had till four in the morning. I swear this (I'm guessing) TV rip we had fan translated was not only more eloquent than the DVD release, it had actually different (minor but really good) scenes in it too. This could be the haze of nostalgia, though.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I'm picturing Casca freaking out while Farnese is saying in the background "um, we made friends with a mermaid? Would you like to meet her?"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm picturing Casca freaking out while Farnese is saying in the background "um, we made friends with a mermaid? Would you like to meet her?"

That could be interesting. Casca's processing all this trauma, but at the same time she's in a place that lets her reconnect with her innocence in a very literal way.

Which is perfect to set up Griffith or some apostles coming to threaten it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hodgepodge posted:

That could be interesting. Casca's processing all this trauma, but at the same time she's in a place that lets her reconnect with her innocence in a very literal way.

Which is perfect to set up Griffith or some apostles coming to threaten it.

I like the idea, but did she have any innocence? Her story starts when she is sold into sex slavery at like 13

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Nebakenezzer posted:

I like the idea, but did she have any innocence? Her story starts when she is sold into sex slavery at like 13

Well, relative innocence. This is Berserk.

I guess there might be an important point there, since people's initial reaction to Griffith himself is the most innocent part of the story's world. And now he's brought fairy tales to life, so where to go with that? Likewise, we've already seen Guts have to reconnect with the idea of being close to other people through his current group, and Casca probably won't have any less trouble with that. In both cases, their previous experience with friendship and community was the Band of the Hawk.

It would certainly be understandable if her reaction to people trying to be supportive of her, and feeling as if they have a connection with her based on her period as an invalid, being fairly hostile.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 8, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The movies are on Netflix and they sure do seem a lot better now that 2016's adaption lowered my expectations to a subterranean level.

They still forgo a lot of the striking imagery and moments though in favor of some bizarre bullcrap. Like movie 1's greatest flaw is probably that it's too short and has to rush things, but when Griffith is giving his speech to Charlotte on the steps it messes up the image of Guts so many steps below him in favor of a more tilted shot that doesn't convey vertical distance at all.

Still, a masterpiece compared to Berserk 2016. The movie's CG Zodd is very good.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
The movies were my introduction to Berserk, even though the CG was a bit stiff at times, it was still a thrill to watch this band of kids come into power only to have it torn away at the end. It really got me in the mood for medieval themed stories, the second movie really got me going with the dichotomy of Guts tending to Casca after she fell, and his savage 100 man slayer battle with him questioning his motives. To someone not familiar with the story, the blend of brutality and struggle within was fascinating and made it pretty good watching. I was so eager to watch the third movie and see how Griffith's punishment panned out.

Boy did it turn out differently than I had predicted :stare:

Since then I binged the manga and became enthralled with the whole universe, the cast and how deeply complex Miura gets with writing emotion into his characters. Going back and watching the movies again is still a good time, considering their approach was not having the time to cover Gut's backstory, it left a lot to desire as a manga fan, but as a newbie it was a great introduction.

For all the changed or omissions made to accommodate the omission of Guts backstory, the only thing that I find really baffling is not having Zodd throw the sword to him during the battle of Doldry, it's a quick moment that would remind a newbie like myself, that the ethereal elements are still there carrying on in the background, and not just window dressing. I am a bit disappointed that it didn't have Guts telling his story to Casca during their first time together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I'd say the 2nd movie's biggest flaws are no Zodd throwing the sword and no Bonfire of Dreams scene.

The third movie doesn't have much going against it though, if anything it lacks some of the emotional impact it could have if the previous two had been better/longer.