Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That was a really legit good episode of The Flash. I wish we didn't have to go back to DeVoe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Agreed on both counts.

Hey, if Devoe didn't plan on the Flash getting out of prison, does that mean his master plan would have been derailed by random nuclear bomb going off in the middle of town and killing him?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Yeah, best ep in a while. Nice to get away from the dour DeVoe storyline for a change.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

That might have been the first legit great episode since season 1

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Hell yeah! Kill the Speedforce! :black101: gently caress you, Jay!

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I might have missed it, but when The Flash went into the SpeedForce and took the Timesphere, why didn't the SpeedForce KEEP going after Barry? Why did it stop?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
speedforce gif

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Phenotype posted:

Agreed on both counts.

Hey, if Devoe didn't plan on the Flash getting out of prison, does that mean his master plan would have been derailed by random nuclear bomb going off in the middle of town and killing him?

Devoe has plot genius so this whole nuclear bomb thing was actually all a part of his plan to get the quark sphere out of the speed force so that he can :words:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Vietnamwees posted:

I might have missed it, but when The Flash went into the SpeedForce and took the Timesphere, why didn't the SpeedForce KEEP going after Barry? Why did it stop?

A line with Jay near the end:
"So is the Speedforce okay with us now?"
"If not, I guess we'll find out."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
XS is going to clown all over DeVoe when she finally gets revealed and it's gonna own :allears:

Vietnamwees posted:

speed force

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

A line with Jay near the end:
"So is the Speedforce okay with us now?"
"If not, I guess we'll find out."

The Speed Force: "Barry Allen you hosed with time, come to Speed Jail"

1 season later...

"Well gently caress, Allen that was pretty cool. You get a pass for now..."

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
Just another cool and good episode made by attractive people.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Flash...good?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Laterite posted:

Flash...good?

For the moment.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I skipped the last like three episodes and just came back for this one. No regrets.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So what's our exact total for Good Flash been this year, anyway? The premiere, Hazard, Dibny's debut, Girls Night Out, Crisis on Earth-X, Prank, tiny Team Flash, and now this one, right?

Oh and next week is Run, Iris, Run, so hopefully it keeps the streak going.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
from now on every time some random schlub hits Barry with a haymaker I'm just going to imagine him freezing time and doing elaborate math equations for hours trying to figure out how to avoid it only to give up and get punched square in the face.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Flash being way too fast aside - yep this ep was good. For those in the known, was dad Flash going to train a replacement a refference to anyone in particular?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

XboxPants posted:

I skipped the last like three episodes and just came back for this one. No regrets.

3 off 1 on is the key... it's still the same hooey.

Stick with Legends, it's got Constantine level gaff, Wally and Damien Darhk chewing scenery like a stoned beaver.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 7, 2018

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
This episode was good because it taught Barry that he needed to go faster.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
I particularly liked Barry going over to the board, erasing some complicated equations, and then with all his concentration writing "Speed Force."

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

Bleh the "we can't even go back 6 seconds to change time!" Reasoning is stupid

Barry would rather him and everyone he knows died than time-altering having slightly unpredictable consequences. :shepicide:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

To be fair, everyone would still die in this timeline - only Barry would get to hang out in an alternate one where they didn’t.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Avalerion posted:

To be fair, everyone would still die in this timeline - only Barry would get to hang out in an alternate one where they didn’t.

That never stopped him before.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

MiddleOne posted:

Barry would rather him and everyone he knows died than time-altering having slightly unpredictable consequences. :shepicide:

Yeah that was super dumb, "Jesse, we can't, don't you understand, we could come back and your dad could have A MUSTACHE, I'm not willing to risk it".

Personally I was hoping Devoe would show up and temporarily join up with flash to stop the bomb, but whatever I guess "speedforce" is a good solution too.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 7, 2018

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Barry just takes continuity of consciousness really seriously you guys! :colbert:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Vietnamwees posted:

He throws the Timesphere back into the Speedforce, it's a like half a second shot.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Well if everyone I knew spent a whole season calling me a piece of poo poo for messing with time, I'd probably do my best to avoid it too.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

So what's our exact total for Good Flash been this year, anyway? The premiere, Hazard, Dibny's debut, Girls Night Out, Crisis on Earth-X, Prank, tiny Team Flash, and now this one, right?

Oh and next week is Run, Iris, Run, so hopefully it keeps the streak going.

The escape from jail episode was good, I thought. And I like the Big Sur episode.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

MiddleOne posted:

My thought is that the timespace continuum works a lot differently in the Flash than it does in other media, and just overwrites the universe every time you try to gently caress with time travel. I can't think of anything specific right now, but I remember in the Flashpoint universe that a lot of things had changed in a way that couldn't really be explained by the "butterfly effect" of Barry saving his mom. My working theory is that the universe works under "gently caress you" principles for time travel, so you could travel back in time ten minutes, sit motionless in a chair, and then when you come back to your own time it turns out Donald Trump is the chairman of the NAACP and the Russians won the Cold War.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Phenotype posted:

My thought is that the timespace continuum works a lot differently in the Flash than it does in other media, and just overwrites the universe every time you try to gently caress with time travel. I can't think of anything specific right now, but I remember in the Flashpoint universe that a lot of things had changed in a way that couldn't really be explained by the "butterfly effect" of Barry saving his mom. My working theory is that the universe works under "gently caress you" principles for time travel, so you could travel back in time ten minutes, sit motionless in a chair, and then when you come back to your own time it turns out Donald Trump is the chairman of the NAACP and the Russians won the Cold War.

Also, as Barry has said, usually messing with time travel has a way of making things even worse than before (except with Vandal Savage). Essentially, you do something to mess with time, it usually comes back double.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Everyone else gets away with it all the time, though!

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Agreed that was probably the best episode since season 1. It was everytihing you wanted in the Flash. Still was a little too long with the wrap up segments, but I can give them a pass for succeeding with the Plot A premise.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also, as Barry has said, usually messing with time travel has a way of making things even worse than before (except with Vandal Savage). Essentially, you do something to mess with time, it usually comes back double.

Yeah it seems like they're sort've trapped between the classic "butterfly flapping it's wings" scenario where small changes reverberate out, and some more metaphysical karma like rule where messing with time causes it to retaliate.

I was thinking more of the first scenario because going back in time 15 years might drastically change poo poo as little changes compounded, but going back 6 seconds shouldn't give any time for that to happen. Whereas the writers seem to want to do the "time bites back" thing to keep it from being a catch all solution to his problems. Which is fair from their perspective but kind of inconsistent with what they've done in the past.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
On the other hand we had a bunch of episodes at the beginning of last season that repeatedly hammered on Barry for loving with time over and over, with every character dishing him poo poo, right down to Daddy Flash. The fact that Barry actually learned that lesson is a good thing. I would have been shittier (and par for the course as far as writing goes) for him to have forgotten that lesson and hosed with time, so for at least once the show was moderately consistent.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Avalerion posted:

Everyone else gets away with it all the time, though!

Well Thawne keeps doing it and last time he showed up he's a literal Nazi. Clearly time travel messes with you :v:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I mean the clear answer is that he doesn't want the legends to get involved because they'd just screw things up.

He's dumb, though, because they'd screw things up for the better.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I was honestly a bit surprised that the whole idea to blow up the speed force as the last resort wasn't some plan from Devoe to cripple Flash and any other speedsters. Instead it just turned out to be a random group of eco-terrorists and Flash got to learn a lesson. I mean it was a good episode but it just felt strangely like filler.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Since they named her I assume the Eco Terrorist was someone from the comics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
So, Barry's speed is way beyond lightspeed now, right? It feels like just last season there were still measuring his speed in mach.