Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Captain Mediocre posted:

It does a good job of recreating Shakespearian theatre in the sense that you hear lots of laughter while nothing funny is happening.

Shakespeare is absolutely funny, as long as it's being performed and directed by people who are willing to admit that the author liked dick jokes, comedy pratfalls, and men dressing up as women. What irritates me about Upstart Crow is the idea that Shakespeare *wouldn't* have gleefully made The Comedy of Errors as a musical if musicals had been invented at the same time as mystery plays.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Red Oktober posted:

Has anyone watched Save Me? I’m tempted to try it as I loved Line of Duty.

As far as I can tell the only link it's got to Line of Duty besides Lennie James is they've got one EP in common. On paper it should be great with that cast but the trailer really didn't sell me on it all that much.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So glad Young Offenders was mentioned earlier, not heard of it before but loving it so far.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I think I gave up on Jonah after the first episode and only recently remembered it existed too. A shame, as Summer Heights High felt great when it first aired.

Didn't SSH have a tonne of blackface too?

Chris Lilley having an acclaimed career is one of those things that just astounds me about Australian TV. Then again, we gave Matt Lucas and David Walliams careers for doing the same thing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I think it was the shock elements of stuff like Little Britain that made SHH and similar acceptable, but attitudes shifted a lot by the time Jonah came around. I don’t remember the details of what I even saw of the spinoff but I know it was bad enough that I walked away forever.

Australia is a weird place as it just seems a cultural wasteland. I guess it’s their ‘right wing by default’ attitudes, but a huge amount of what I saw being aired there was localized British stuff. Their version of Harry Hills TV Burp had zero originality of their own, just recycled stuff. It’s sad, because there’s a few things from there that shine (reminds me I need to try more of The Katering Show) like The Chaser, but it’s so few and far between.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Since you mentioned The Chaser I’ll also say Shaun Micallef is also great.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Kath and Kim is great Australian telly.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

thehustler posted:

Since you mentioned The Chaser I’ll also say Shaun Micallef is also great.

I watched the first episode of the current season of his show he’s doing right now, and I just didn’t know enough about the people involved to get into it :( somehow The Chaser were always able to transcend that. I used to like Micallefs old show from years back although I remember practically nothing about it now!

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

Also well worth checking out The Katering Show on YouTube. One of the funniest things I've seen in years.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gorn Myson posted:

Also well worth checking out The Katering Show on YouTube. One of the funniest things I've seen in years.

They've also done Get Krack!n last year, but it wasn't as good, imo.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Trin Tragula posted:

Shakespeare is absolutely funny, as long as it's being performed and directed by people who are willing to admit that the author liked dick jokes, comedy pratfalls, and men dressing up as women. What irritates me about Upstart Crow is the idea that Shakespeare *wouldn't* have gleefully made The Comedy of Errors as a musical if musicals had been invented at the same time as mystery plays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZgOjf36xxI

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Upstart Crow is awful because there's several jokes that make it incredibly clear the Ben Elton thinks he's a better comedy writer than literal Shakespeare

And they say words like 'boobingtons'

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Third Strike was the best of a middling bunch so far. The others were fairly Meh, but have been improving. I like the books as an easy read between 800 page fantasy epics or nonfiction histories, so I already knew the story, and they dealt with the ambiguity of the suspects well and trimmed a lot of stuff that would have been hard to portray/fit in to the time.

However, Strike’s firing of Robin after exposing Brockbank was way too rushed. That builds up over a long time and by the time it happens he’s half out of his mind for worry about her which didn’t really come across. And in general the last ten minutes felt very sparse and tenuous. I liked how not drawn out the final fight with Laing was in the flat, short scuffle and done - refreshing not to see a long punching match for once.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Paladinus posted:

They've also done Get Krack!n last year, but it wasn't as good, imo.

It was more uneven, probably because of the extended runtime, but they also had moments that had me literally crying from laughter.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

EL BROMANCE posted:

Australia is a weird place as it just seems a cultural wasteland.

Not UK TV, but Review started off in Australia. Only seen one episode of their version, but it's pretty dark. Must go back to it.

For anyone who hasn't seen the US Version, I cannot recommend it enough, genuinely one of the funniest series I've ever seen.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Pissflaps posted:

Kath and Kim was great, and Summer Heights High had its moments, if you overlook some of the dodgier characters, but oh my god Australian TV is bad. When I stayed with my expat relatives I genuinely missed British TV, which looks fresh and exciting when compared to a schedule of soaps, more soaps, Aussie version of one of our reality shows, and really old repeats of British and American TV. It's quite surprising that they've never really developed their own market.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Lots more Mandy in the new episode of This Country, it's a really good episode. No new tattoos though :(

(I just realised the actress that plays her is also the terrifying cafe owner in Man Down)

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Bafta winning, Oscar nominated actor Daniel Kaluuya:

https://youtu.be/Tw5d8GwEC2s

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Rondette posted:

Lots more Mandy in the new episode of This Country, it's a really good episode. No new tattoos though :(

(I just realised the actress that plays her is also the terrifying cafe owner in Man Down)

gently caress, I knew I recognized her from something else.

BOB

I still can't believe they genuinely managed to get Mark Hamill to play Bob.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Rondette posted:

I loved this week's episode! Another really strong outing from those guys.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

That poo poo David Mitchell Shakespeare thing is on Netflix UK, six episodes. I did a double take, but I guess UKTV Gold is just showing some poo poo old BBC thing as new?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I made it less than a minute into Upstart Crow on Netflix, gently caress me it was bad.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Rondette posted:

Oh my god that episode from the 1st series is great.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Might chance a visit to ITV tonight for Tom Davis's (Murder in Sucessville) Action Team. The ad was good for a few chuckles.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Whorelord posted:

Daniel Kaluuya is awesome, was amazing in Get Out, but was hilariously miscast in Black Panther. He is completely lacking in gravitas and I couldn't stop snickering.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

get your cakes out you pair of fannies

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

SEX BURRITO posted:

Kath and Kim was great, and Summer Heights High had its moments, if you overlook some of the dodgier characters, but oh my god Australian TV is bad. When I stayed with my expat relatives I genuinely missed British TV, which looks fresh and exciting when compared to a schedule of soaps, more soaps, Aussie version of one of our reality shows, and really old repeats of British and American TV. It's quite surprising that they've never really developed their own market.

I don't think Aussie comedy will ever top BARGEARSE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9bWQoQVIQ

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Daniel Kaluuya is awesome, was amazing in Get Out, but was hilariously miscast in Black Panther. He is completely lacking in gravitas and I couldn't stop snickering.

I really liked him in Black Panther but he was definitely too young for the part, it felt weird.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

SeanBeansShako posted:

get your cakes out you pair of fannies

New thread title? We are overdue. Or I’d go for ‘I got a baby Oleg from a smoke-free, pet-free home’.

Good episode. I love Mandy.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Whorelord posted:

An pair of ex Hollyoaks actors have just won an Oscar.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-43287786

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Attn: EL BROMANCE: https://www.facebook.com/thechaser/posts/10155033515426230

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SEX BURRITO posted:

New thread title? We are overdue. Or I’d go for ‘I got a baby Oleg from a smoke-free, pet-free home’.

Good episode. I love Mandy.

Poor Kerry was so confused at being fancied

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Poor Kerry full stop :(.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh fun, wonder if they’ll also release them as podcasts. I just want War Against Everything back :(

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Mr Beens posted:

An pair of ex Hollyoaks actors have just won an Oscar.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-43287786

Also, apparently a terrible landlord:
https://np.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/8221mr/official_oscar_thread_2018/dv6wgnz/

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
This Country is so loving good. What kind of reception is it getting over there?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Over where? The UK? Not massive as far as I can tell, a bit like the Detectorists, people who see it love it. But not many have seen it.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

SalTheBard posted:

This Country is so loving good. What kind of reception is it getting over there?

Good critical reviews, but I don't know anyone in real life who watches it. It's a tough sell when you try to recommend it to people. 'It's a show about two cousins who live rurally and do nothing and it's really well observed!'

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It's the sort of thing that nobody in big cities is going to watch, in the same way that nobody outside Hoxton would have had any reason to watch Nathan Barley, I only started with it because Paul Chahidi's playing the vicar

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Kevin Eldon was in Eastenders playing a hitman last night.
I can't quite believe it, I wonder if he auditioned or if someone wanted him in it?