Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Droyer posted:

All of the Front Mission games have mechs composed of torso, arms, shoulders and legs and destroying any of those has specific effects.

You can't target specific body parts, though, so it's more "sometimes, randomly, the enemy's arms fall off".

To actually address the recommendation, Horizon: Zero Dawn owns bones and has lots of massive mecha-dinosaurs with individual components you can destroy or disable for various effects.

Warning Forever is a randomly generated shmup based entirely around this concept + the idea that the game adapts to your preferred tactics and generates new enemies based on that. Fights tend to be over pretty fast one way or another, though.

XKobo is all about being a tiny starship systematically dismantling massive, sprawling space stations until you've finally destroyed enough defences to reach the core and watch the entire station unravel around you.

E: what is going on, why do I have an avatar now

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I'm surprised the fallout games weren't mentioned. Fallout tactics in particular is less RPG

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

E: what is going on, why do I have an avatar now

idk but pick android

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
So I'm about halfway through Shadow of the Colossus on the PS4, and am interested in trying other Team ICO games. What are people's opinions on Ico and The Last Guardian? I've heard great things about ICO, and very mixed things about Guardian.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ico has lots of atmosphere and relatively interesting puzzle solving, but that is all it has.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
That sounds... good?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Ico is definitely very low key and atmospheric, similar to how SotC is, but without as many boss battles-- instead you get some normal encounters against shadow monsters that try to steal your waifu. I remember there being at least one "boss" battle, but it has a very basic combat system so don't expect to get excited about the combat.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Tenacious J posted:

This might sound a bit sadistic.. but I'm looking for a game that lets me kind of systematically target/disable PARTS of the enemy, which causes consequences for them.

RTS games - are all about that. Taking out high-value buildings, which leads to a crippled economy etc. I think they're generally too fast overall to enjoy it, and rarely are the effects enjoyable.
FTL - I loved being able to take out sub systems.. FTL does this sort of thing the best because subsystems are so meaningful. I'd like more of this.

and going way back ... Soldier of Fortune. It was awesome to be able to shoot the enemies arms, legs, or gun to disable them.

What else does this well? I suppose some kind of giant mech game would naturally have it. Ideally it would be something like FTL. It's great to get good value out of disabling systems and especially being able to see the consequences. That's a bit sadistic I suppose.

Binary Domain's main sell is basically this. Third person shooter where you can shoot out limbs of the robots and it changes how they fight. Shoot out the legs and they have to crawl. Shout out their arms, you can ignore them since they can't fire at you. Shoot their heads off and they don't recognize foe from friend.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I hated Ico until someone pointed out that you can and should run past a lot of the regular enemy encounters. It's an exceptional game if you take that advice. Very atmospheric.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Does anyone have recommendations for relaxing, fairly peaceful games where you're making things rather than killing things? I really enjoyed Stardew Valley and I enjoy city builders, I've played Simcity 4 and Cities Skylines a bunch. I'm looking for more games like that, where there's a relaxed atmosphere and I'm building something instead of killing enemies. Preferably something with a narrative or some sort of setting, I'd rather be building a fictional town than just doing abstract puzzles or building a factory assembly line floating in a void.

I've tried Anno 1404, I found the supply chain management stuff a bit overwhelming but maybe I should give it another shot. I've been playing some of the paradox 4X games too, mostly EU4, but I find it kind of frustrating that there's very little to do if you're not conquering other countries.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Red Bones posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for relaxing, fairly peaceful games where you're making things rather than killing things? Preferably something with a narrative or some sort of setting, I'd rather be building a fictional town than just doing abstract puzzles or building a factory assembly line floating in a void.

Time for me to recommend an old favorite again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7Ff2J5Vs3g

It's not a city builder but you do build something (restoring an ecosystem)
Amazing atmosphere, fun gameplay, very different from usual games. Two thumbs up.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Red Bones posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for relaxing, fairly peaceful games where you're making things rather than killing things? I really enjoyed Stardew Valley and I enjoy city builders, I've played Simcity 4 and Cities Skylines a bunch. I'm looking for more games like that, where there's a relaxed atmosphere and I'm building something instead of killing enemies. Preferably something with a narrative or some sort of setting, I'd rather be building a fictional town than just doing abstract puzzles or building a factory assembly line floating in a void.

I've tried Anno 1404, I found the supply chain management stuff a bit overwhelming but maybe I should give it another shot. I've been playing some of the paradox 4X games too, mostly EU4, but I find it kind of frustrating that there's very little to do if you're not conquering other countries.

Freeways - chill drawing game where you draw out roads for traffic to travel on
Hidden Folks - Where's Waldo for PC
Logistical - absolutely absorbing fun where you're moving supplies between cities and opening roads
No Man's Sky - explore, build, take pictures, it's actually really good after it got patched
Tropico - I actually haven't played these but they're in the SimCity vein

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Time for me to recommend an old favorite again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7Ff2J5Vs3g

It's not a city builder but you do build something (restoring an ecosystem)
Amazing atmosphere, fun gameplay, very different from usual games. Two thumbs up.

Seconding this, it's the best metroidvania/puzzler/gardener thing I've ever played.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Red Bones posted:

Oxygen Not Included. It's in Early Access but it's fully fleshed out, and done by the folks who did Don't Starve. If you like that you can move on to Factorio but I don't find Factorio relaxing. Both of these games have combat but you can turn it off, and in fact in ONI, you shouldn't use it.

Railway Empire is relaxing if you like Train games.

Surviving Mars is coming out next week, it's by the Tropico guys and looks like it could be anywhere from relaxing to stress producing depending on the start you choose.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Slime Rancher. You run a ranch on an alien planet and raise all sorts of different cute as gently caress slimes with different attributes and diets, harvest their poops to sell or cross breed with others, upgrade and expand your ranch with new facilities to handle more variety of slimes, cultivate fruits and veggies to feed them, and explore a really pretty and interesting world with a light story told through log entries. It's really quite similar in core loop to stardew valley, but more mechanically involved and first person.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

slime rancher was fun for a while, but eventually i realized that i only had fun exploring the environment, while actually ranching slimes was mostly just tedious, brainless busywork

luckily, i realized around this same time that there's actually not much reason to spend more than a paltry amount of time on actually ranching the slimes, so i guess i'd second the recommendation? it's kinda weird that the slime ranching is the least fun part of slime rancher, if you're looking for something where the simulation/management aspect is interesting/engaging beyond cute visuals i'd say you should probably look for something else

the thing where there were no invisible walls or actual boundries and you could climb your way up on top of what would be the walls of the defined play area in any other game, and find hidden secrets there, was super cool and discovering/hunting down new slimes is always a joy

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 7, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Oh I agree, once you've set up a self sustaining ranch and are just on the cycle of harvesting, finish exploring and end the game. It's totally isn't a game to play for hundreds of hours, but it was incredibly fun for the time I did spend.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Speaking of slime ranching... Are there any other recent Pokemon style critter collecting/raising games for PC? It seems like an underdeveloped category which is strange.

It doesn't have to be a battle game, although they usually cram combat in there to give the collecting a point. I just wanna find rare critters and then breed them together to make rarer critters.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Tagra posted:

Speaking of slime ranching... Are there any other recent Pokemon style critter collecting/raising games for PC? It seems like an underdeveloped category which is strange.

It doesn't have to be a battle game, although they usually cram combat in there to give the collecting a point. I just wanna find rare critters and then breed them together to make rarer critters.

Monster Breeder!
http://m.crazygames.com/game/monster-breeder

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Tagra posted:

Siralim 2. I'm on mobile and don't have much time right now to write something up but it's a Dragon Quest Monsters style game with incredibly deep monster and party customization systems.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/464620/Siralim_2/

It's a game about grinding so be wary of that if it turns you off, but it has lots of very clever tricks up it's sleeve to keep you constantly cycling through new monsters and grinding them up

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

Siralim 2. I'm on mobile and don't have much time right now to write something up but it's a Dragon Quest Monsters style game with incredibly deep monster and party customization systems.

It's a game about grinding so be wary of that if it turns you off, but it has lots of very clever tricks up it's sleeve to keep you constantly cycling through new monsters and grinding them up

It's on mobile too, so you can take it with you

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

Siralim 2 is basically Pokemon with more depth and less kiddie anime.

There is a very good if unlikely to be completed mechanics focused LP: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826825

Siralim 2 is similar but way better than 1. Siralim 3 was announced kinda recently and takes things in a different direction.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Perfect. Just in time for the weekend. This is the best thread.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, time for a potentially dumb question: I've enjoyed Saints Row 2, 4, Mercenaries 2, and I'm really digging Just Cause 2 now.

Basically, third person shooters with collectibles and explosives and vehicles you can hijack, and occasionally actually good stories. (SR2!)

What else should I check out in this genre? Keep in mind that I enjoy exploring, stealing cars (not necessarily racing them), and collecting things more than I enjoy shooting people.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Have you played Bully or Sleeping Dogs?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Really Pants posted:

Have you played Bully or Sleeping Dogs?

I can't do Bully's setting, but I have not yet tried Sleeping Dogs! I'll clear some space, see if my laptop can swing it.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I can't do Bully's setting, but I have not yet tried Sleeping Dogs! I'll clear some space, see if my laptop can swing it.

Sleeping Dogs is probably the best GTA-like of the bunch, you'll enjoy it for sure. Bully's excellent though, do consider it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, time for a potentially dumb question: I've enjoyed Saints Row 2, 4, Mercenaries 2, and I'm really digging Just Cause 2 now.

Basically, third person shooters with collectibles and explosives and vehicles you can hijack, and occasionally actually good stories. (SR2!)

What else should I check out in this genre? Keep in mind that I enjoy exploring, stealing cars (not necessarily racing them), and collecting things more than I enjoy shooting people.

Saints Row 3 is also worth a look if you liked both 2 and 4. And I hear Just Cause 3 is pretty good.

Mercenaries 1 is head and shoulders above 2 in every respect but graphics, but it was also only released on PS2 so you'll need either a PS2, or PCSX2 and a very beefy computer to play it. That is a game that's crying out for a remake, ideally in the Red Faction Armageddon engine.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Mercenaries 1 is also on the original Xbox, and it's super good fun on that platform.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Prototype 1 and 2, though probably moreso 2 since it's more polished. Saints Row 4 took more than a little from them.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
I'm looking for something to play fairly casually at work.

The Problem: it must run on SteamOS/Linux

Played already:
Deus Ex: Manchild Divided
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Metro 2033
Metro 2034
- a ton of Halflife / Halflife2 / CS:GO

I guess I'm looking for something sorta like Deus Ex which combines combat and roleplaying, though I have no complaints about just shooting everything like in the new Doom. Would Tomb Raider (2013) be a good choice? I'm not too interested in spending 20 minutes trying to solve a puzzle and then have to google it, so I'm not sure if it's too puzzle heavy for that.

Is there any decent FPS with a good story? Does not need roleplaying elements. Prey for example required too much combing room after room for keycards. Also I have for the most part been living in a cave for several years so anything between 2012 and today is fantastic, it's a pretty new laptop with great specs so it will run essentially anything. Would love any suggestions!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Tomb Raider is going to be perfect for you. There are no situations where you're spending longer than 5-10 minutes at most on a puzzle, and it's a fantastic shooter (archer?) with a very engaging story. Especially if you, rather like most of the writers, read it as a love story between Lara and Sam.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The only love story in Tomb Raider is Lara Croft's unending devotion to the composite bow, which instantly transforms her from posh archaeology grad into history's greatest monster.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Any 2D explore/build games like Terraria/Starbound come out recently? I'd like to check out a new one of those, even if it was fairly simple. Or even if there any any coming up.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Any action games with really awesome boss battles? I'm talking Metal Gear Rising type of stuff

Played
Bayonettas
DMC1-4
Vanquish
Souls series and Bloodborne
Metal Gears
Furi
Nioh

I have a PS3 and 4 and an old 360

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 16, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Are we talking spectacle, challenge, or both.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Preferably both which is why those games are on the list

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Nier: Automata.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Forgot to mention I played Nier. Great game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Probably stating the obvious here but Shadow of the Colossus. Titan Souls and Cuphead are two other boss rush games.