Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

Can we all agree that the digger bugs are the loving worst

Digger veks have been pretty easy for me. They cancel their attack with any amount of damage, and their stability ability allows me to fire directly into them without worrying about them hitting a building. Because of this, I almost always have an opening to fire safely on them. They also retreat due to fire or smoke damage before their attack phase.

The guys who give me the most trouble are the ones that make rock shields around themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yea the burrowers that create mountains around them are the worst. The diggers that puss out after a single damage are way easier.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I hate the assholes that lob acid bombs

Just started this game all confident and cocky cause I watched other people play and died like 10 times in Normal.

Loving every bit of it but man I should really check the damage of the enemies sometimes. I keep thinking I can tank some damage and it turns out I can't

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Human Crouton posted:

Digger veks have been pretty easy for me. They cancel their attack with any amount of damage, and their stability ability allows me to fire directly into them without worrying about them hitting a building. Because of this, I almost always have an opening to fire safely on them. They also retreat due to fire or smoke damage before their attack phase.

The guys who give me the most trouble are the ones that make rock shields around themselves.

Diggers are the guys that make the rocks around them. I think the guys that are giant worms are called burrowers. Maybe I have the two mixed up.

But I'm talking about the 4 rock guys. Its really hard to keep them out of a position where they won't be hitting a building due to AOE and you can't push them around easily because they put up those rocks. Pain in the rear end.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rock bugs are assholes if you don't have upgraded swap mechs or artillery, but they're also the Frozen Titans' best friend forever.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 7, 2018

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Really Pants posted:

Rock bugs are assholes if you don't have any 2-damage artillery, but they're also the Frozen Titans' best friend forever.

That’s very true.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

Diggers are the guys that make the rocks around them. I think the guys that are giant worms are called burrowers. Maybe I have the two mixed up.

But I'm talking about the 4 rock guys. Its really hard to keep them out of a position where they won't be hitting a building due to AOE and you can't push them around easily because they put up those rocks. Pain in the rear end.

Oh poo poo. You're right.

Then I completely agree with you.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
gently caress the Centipedes. I keep getting tagged by stray damage because I move out of the way and oops the shot hits the boundary and there's a building sitting just to the side of it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I've finished 6 games now and still haven't lost. I think the big difference between this and FTL to me is that for the most part, you can't get RNG hosed. There are a lot of ships in FTL that have objectively terrible starting gear and you have to swap them out at some point to stand a chance against the flagship. It doesn't really feel like any of the squads in this game have awful gear. They can all make it to the final mission without being reliant on randomly stumbling upon better gear. Some have it easier than others but there's no equivalent of "hitting a beam drone on the first jump with a stealth ship".

How does hard compare to normal? What exactly does it change?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I can't say you *never* get RNG screwed in ITB but it feels way, way, way less likely. I know that's probably a negative to some but it makes it a lot more fun for me to play because I usually feel like any mistakes are my own fault. I still love FTL but I like ITB more.

Though I wouldn't turn down an ITB with FTL-like plot progression and events even if it unbalanced it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you want to get RNG hosed you can always do a random squad and get 3 push mechs I guess.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Supposedly enemy attack patterns are actually predictable and not at all random, and some people have noticed things like a certain enemy types will always attack certain mech classes over buildings provided they are in range, but it's opaque and weird enough that no one has actually learned it yet.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Internet Kraken posted:

If you want to get RNG hosed you can always do a random squad and get 3 push mechs I guess.

I really want the mantis pilot so I can do this.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cock hero flux posted:

Supposedly enemy attack patterns are actually predictable and not at all random, and some people have noticed things like a certain enemy types will always attack certain mech classes over buildings provided they are in range, but it's opaque and weird enough that no one has actually learned it yet.

I really hope this isn't the case. I hate when AI is 100% predictable.

EDIT: they need to remove the +3 grid defense trait. Its baffling how much worse it is compared to all the others.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 7, 2018

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I got the Ranged weapon that sets 5 squares on fire at once on my Flame Behemoths run, which made for good times.

Shame the passive fire immunity isn't conferred to allied units. I accidentally farted fire onto the waste disposal launcher once, and killed my own shield tank helper, too. I guess I got cocky because the supply train just drives through fire without issue.

Getting both range upgrades for the Swapper mech was amazing.

I also enjoyed that Zenith Guard run where I got to put the acid gun on my Science mech and also got the nanites passive to heal on kill. Suddenly it was like playing much more user friendly Hazardous Mechs :v:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 7, 2018

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Grid defense is fine as a trait. Even your best friend has things you don't love about them. They can't all be +reactor, +move superstars.

I like grid defense as a mechanic. It's rare enough that you can't rely on it, but a pleasant surprise when it happens. A dash of RNG in all the predictability.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

i have noticed a pattern where 75% of the enemies will usually target buildings with the last few focusing on mechs. It's not always true but in the case of 4 enemies, almost always you will have 3 "threats" that are trying to destroy buildings, and the 4th one can be ignored because it tries to hit your mechs.

Usually that last one is a spider so you're still hosed though.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I wasn't sure about this pilot but I think I fell in love with this guy when I found out dash atttacks don't count as movement so I could melee attack twice in a turn with ease

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

does that mean if I put him in the rust plane mech I can play checkers with the enemy?

edit:

wtf. this is the first move. I don't see a move that saves the tank and avoids damage to my already perilous grid situation. Any takers?

double nine fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 7, 2018

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

:toot:
Could've been four pop ups, but I got a real dicey turn on a train mission and had to choose between sacrificing the time pod or the train. It was the only failed objective in three islands on Normal.
I'm so happy I can power up equipment now.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

god drat that is a bad spawn for the tanks

"protect the tanks" is def. one of the missions i skip if i have any reasonable alternatives. but then, you got it with a robo-lab, which isn't really skippable

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Grid defense is fine as a trait. Even your best friend has things you don't love about them. They can't all be +reactor, +move superstars.

I like grid defense as a mechanic. It's rare enough that you can't rely on it, but a pleasant surprise when it happens. A dash of RNG in all the predictability.
I'm fine with the mechanic in general but the skill is just so awful. Like the power core one is straight up worth 3 rep, while the other two are basically power cores that are put in a certain place which is worse but still fine. 3 grid def costs less than 2 rep to buy from the store, and realistically it's worth a lot less than that in reality.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the stat boons can be situationally good since they permit doubling up on stat gains and some mecs get pretty gross with 2 extra movement, but bonus reactor is generally the best and 3 grid def is offensively terrible

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hp is good, movement is better, reactor is best and grid def is worthless

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
It's to the point where if I roll any traveller with +reactor, +move, I'll drag them along basically forever. They make just that much more difference than anything else.

One day I'll roll a Zoltan with that and just start rolling over hard difficulty with him.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Like, if pilots got +10% to reactor grid defense or something it'd still be the weakest of the possible skill ups. 3% is just comically low.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
BTW if you, like me, got frustrated with the hidden pilots, there's a way to semi-cheat it.

When in a map with mountains, hit ~ to bring up the console and type the word secret, it will crack a mountain and add a beacon, so all you need to do is break it, step on the beacon and you're good to go.

Yes it's cheating but holy gently caress was I getting frustrated.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Olpainless posted:

It's to the point where if I roll any traveller with +reactor, +move, I'll drag them along basically forever. They make just that much more difference than anything else.

One day I'll roll a Zoltan with that and just start rolling over hard difficulty with him.

My friend got +move +reactor on his first Zoltan and I was super mad.

But then he had to heroically sacrifice him in the last mission so everything worked out.

nem-x
Dec 11, 2004

A deaf-mute

You don't need to blow up mountains to see if there's a beacon. The map will load in with an already cracked mountain and glowing dot if it's there to begin with.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Prav posted:

god drat that is a bad spawn for the tanks

"protect the tanks" is def. one of the missions i skip if i have any reasonable alternatives. but then, you got it with a robo-lab, which isn't really skippable
A lot of teams have better options for defending tanks, such as long range units that can push them around or knock multiple enemies off them. It does seem a bit awkward for the ice guys and other teams with no "standard" artillery.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Just freeze the tanks as the ice guys.

Midtier
Mar 7, 2018

Salt of the Earth
Just completed a run, love it! I wasn't the biggest fan of FTL but this game was great gonna jump into another run now.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

double nine posted:

does that mean if I put him in the rust plane mech I can play checkers with the enemy?

edit:

wtf. this is the first move. I don't see a move that saves the tank and avoids damage to my already perilous grid situation. Any takers?

Sounds good but I think we need more info on what your team can do. For all we know you switched some stuff around or installed cool extras.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

https://twitter.com/keethulhu/status/971442550031740932?s=21

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mindblast posted:

Sounds good but I think we need more info on what your team can do. For all we know you switched some stuff around or installed cool extras.

nah, I sacrificed that tank, there was no way I could salvage the situation. Either you save the tank (and I don't even know of a way to reach the eastern-most hostile) but take 3 grid damage or sacrifice a tank and thus 1 point of reputation. Reputation it is.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Bloody hell just finished normal 4 island run with the blitzkrieg guys

The chain lightning is fun and all but the fact that it fucks up allies meant missions with defendings trains, robots and the final bomb was a gigantic pain

Rough start to rough finish overall.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Sending a charger vek to his watery grave via backdrafted fire artillery is so loving :sicknasty: I can't stand it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

These machines are more willing to team up with the killer bugs than us. Can we just nuke this lovely robot island out of existence?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I wasn't really feeling the Zenith Guard until I cleared most of the Zek on a map by pulling them into the water with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Internet Kraken posted:

These machines are more willing to team up with the killer bugs than us. Can we just nuke this lovely robot island out of existence?

Hah, it's not even 'the vek have taken over a bot', it's 'a bot has taken over some veks and is escalating the standard robot plan to wipe out humanity'.