Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah it was fine. It should read okay archivally, a lot of these more digressionary pages do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

As someone who shits on balder constantly I found those two charming and enough stuff happened to barely pass muster, so fine.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Phenotype posted:

These molls were being ordered around by Bill, though, who was sending Charlie messages like "Getting the rifle back has got to be worth a few treaty penalties," so they were almost certainly trying to kill the two warlords.

Hm. Is that how it works? I don't think Bill can micromanage his dolls like that, unless he's actively putting a lot of effort into it, so I would assume they're just auto-piloting on whatever orders they were given.

Bill probably wants to kill all his old colleagues before they start saying mean things, but I honestly don't think he has the balls to do it unless Charlie tells him to.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Rand Brittain posted:

Hm. Is that how it works? I don't think Bill can micromanage his dolls like that, unless he's actively putting a lot of effort into it, so I would assume they're just auto-piloting on whatever orders they were given.

Bill probably wants to kill all his old colleagues before they start saying mean things, but I honestly don't think he has the balls to do it unless Charlie tells him to.

I don't know if it's ever been brought up in the actual books, but from this update he's telling Charlie he's gonna ambush the two warlords with his other golems, and then the warlords say they ran into a lot of golems all at once, so it's pretty clear Bill's able to round them all up and send them on an attack -- it'd be odd if they followed all his orders and then just didn't try to kill their targets. Plus, Bill's complaints to Charlie at the end are "I guess I don't understand guns," not "I guess I don't understand why my golems wouldn't attack them." Skyy just murdered them all with the rifle.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Phenotype posted:

I don't know if it's ever been brought up in the actual books, but from this update he's telling Charlie he's gonna ambush the two warlords with his other golems, and then the warlords say they ran into a lot of golems all at once, so it's pretty clear Bill's able to round them all up and send them on an attack -- it'd be odd if they followed all his orders and then just didn't try to kill their targets. Plus, Bill's complaints to Charlie at the end are "I guess I don't understand guns," not "I guess I don't understand why my golems wouldn't attack them." Skyy just murdered them all with the rifle.

Hm, yeah, it looks like you're probably right.

Ah, okay, so that's why there's no mention of millions more Schmuckers pouring into TV—the molls didn't actually get a hit in.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I was just sitting down to catch up on Erfworld again for the first time in months but now Balder has gone insane? Well with entertainment like that who needs the comic.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I really like Skyy. She is fun. Hope she lasts for awhile.

Do we know what level Vinny is? She may make a good liaison if Vinny doesn't do it.

Assuming they live.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Vinnie is level 6. (It came up when he was facing off with Albert.)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

If this thread turns into another negativity festival, I'm just going to close it. One SFP thread is enough.

No, don't. I want to see what will become Erfworld thread's Clevin.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
Someone pointed out that the sum Rob's trying to raise with cryptocurrency mining ($50,000), is just about equal to the amount of money he's missing out on by skipping 24 comics a year.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Maybe he's hoping an Ethereum boom will grow his investment. I don't recall any mention of on what timescale he planned to cash out.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

super sweet best pal posted:

No, don't. I want to see what will become Erfworld thread's Clevin.

:same:
Bravest of the Lamps is a treasure.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

John_A_Tallon posted:

Someone pointed out that the sum Rob's trying to raise with cryptocurrency mining ($50,000), is just about equal to the amount of money he's missing out on by skipping 24 comics a year.

$50,000, twice as much as many people make in an entire year busting their rear end all day at jobs they hate, and all he has to do is write 24 comics. Not even good comics apparently, since it's been awhile since he's done those.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Zoe posted:

$50,000, twice as much as many people make in an entire year busting their rear end all day at jobs they hate, and all he has to do is write 24 comics. Not even good comics apparently, since it's been awhile since he's done those.

Hey now, he probably needs that extra money to prevent yet another artist calling it quits. His artistic vision can't do it alone.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

He's already said it's divided between six people.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

That doesn't change the fact that his solution is the dumbest option he could've gone for and he's managed to piss away some reader good will doing it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Rand Brittain posted:

1) Writer (Rob)
2) Penciler
3) Inker
4) Webmaster

Who are #5 and #6?

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

NihilCredo posted:

1) Writer (Rob)
2) Penciler
3) Inker
4) Webmaster

Who are #5 and #6?

I know one is his wife. Who is mentioned as receiving a full time salary in the backer section. He also mentions at least three people as part of his "web team."

They also pay the people who get short stories on the site I believe.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

#5 Bob Ralder
#6 Rib Bilder

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

1) Writer (Rob)
2) Penciler
3) Inker
4) Webmaster

Who are #5 and #6?

I think he mentioned an assistant (necessary because of his hectic internet flamewar duties, and numerous personal appearances) and someone running the erf store (if the store was busy enough to need a dedicated worker, wouldn't it pay for the worker itself? Guess not..)

Maybe he needs a copy of this: Small Business For Dummies https://www.amazon.com/dp/1118083725/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_q7YLAbB0MY65J He could read it on his next consecutive skip days.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Roughly 7 and a half hours left. Odds on a full week skip while he plays with his crypto?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Erev posted:

Roughly 7 and a half hours left. Odds on a full week skip while he plays with his crypto?

Hey now, he had to deal with two people criticizing him, it's hard to work under that kind of pressure.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Do you guys really need to do the metaphorical "tap your feet while looking at the clock" thing every single time? Like, c'mon, just drop the comic and come back in a few months, you'll be happier that way.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Kyte posted:

Do you guys really need to do the metaphorical "tap your feet while looking at the clock" thing every single time? Like, c'mon, just drop the comic and come back in a few months, you'll be happier that way.

I mean I know you are correct and I do think I'll try it...

... but not until after this comedy of errors. Once it settles to normal levels of incompetence then it won't be fun anymore.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
Rib Bilder, Epic Universe Critatir

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I actually did quit reading for months and when I came back the other day to catch up I was treated to this glorious crypto drama and Rob himself complaining about how the need to silence criticism was taking away from his comic making time. Skipping a week of updates to punish everyone for allowing such a thing to happen seems entirely in character at this point.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

He did get the comic out!

It's only about Parson getting informed about what just happened, no plot progress and ends with a dumb sex joke.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
I guess the new information is that Shirley and the new TV tower are talking, at least? Or did I misunderstand those last few panels?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, it's news that the towers can talk. That said, this is basically a "getting Parson up to speed" page that isn't super-interesting but is basically necessary in order to not have to break away from a page about something else for a Parson update.

Also, Parson is in serious danger of getting fit. There was some speculation at one point about Erfworld tweaking his Signamancy to try and make him "look the part" a bit better, and he's mentioned that he's losing weight on account of so much stair climbing.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Also probably partly because he upgraded himself from a garrison unit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I recall an early comic has Parson mention that he's getting fitter over time and losing some fat rolls, just from far more regular physical activity than he's used to. Although heading down that many stairs would probably get anyone panting, he doesn't seem to need to stop. (although he has spent some time in a prison cell getting regularly tortured and subsisting on school lunch meals, so mighta backslid a bit. Assuming his body still functions relatively naturally, anyway)

I've never been able to track the overarching plot very well, especially when magic gets involved, but I do get some ideas; for one, given the Signamancy of all the awakened towers so far (old/exotic civilisations that contrast the city they're created in very heavily) that they may not be a new thing, but a reawakening of something very old and long forgotten. Especially how they make Charlie's communications monopoly (and Thinkamancers to some extent) redundant.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Inescapable Duck posted:

I recall an early comic has Parson mention that he's getting fitter over time and losing some fat rolls, just from far more regular physical activity than he's used to. Although heading down that many stairs would probably get anyone panting, he doesn't seem to need to stop. (although he has spent some time in a prison cell getting regularly tortured and subsisting on school lunch meals, so mighta backslid a bit. Assuming his body still functions relatively naturally, anyway)

I always wondered that in the back of my head as well, his signamancy changing, but then again the artists have changed so much that could be the reason as well. Signamancy thing would be cool of course.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Looking like another missed update this week? I wouldn't mind so much if this comic were a bit better or moved at a faster pace.
e: Never mind, it was just way late today.

Inescapable Duck posted:

I've never been able to track the overarching plot very well, especially when magic gets involved, but I do get some ideas; for one, given the Signamancy of all the awakened towers so far (old/exotic civilisations that contrast the city they're created in very heavily) that they may not be a new thing, but a reawakening of something very old and long forgotten. Especially how they make Charlie's communications monopoly (and Thinkamancers to some extent) redundant.

Yeah, he mentioned getting more fit in the interlude after chapter one.

The towers making Thinkamancy redundant isn't exactly true. Sure, their primary use to rulers as a means of expedient communication has been rendered redundant, but they still have a ton of other uses beyond communication and can still boost the power of other casters. As for the Barbarian casters, it's not like the Great Minds are engineering themselves out of a job with these upgrades, they know they're going to die anyway.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 7, 2018

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm starting to think that the temples are infant Titans.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I loved the Peanuts reference with Charlie hearing the "grown ups" talking as a series of warbling horn and trumpet sounds.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still going with the idea that temples are something very, very old, and only recently allowed to reawaken. Though they could also be something new, though building on old things. The nature of regular towers is something that Parson found weird and difficult to understand.

Shirley has definitely come out... odd, even by Temple and Erfworld standards. She understands the world in a way close to Charlie's real-world understanding, to the point where Parson would probably be the only one who'd immediately understand her, but has come out with her own pre-set biases and judgements- strong ones, too. To a point where they're almost diametrically opposed to Charlie's amoral self-preservation, but she certainly shares his cunning.

Huehue (we're gonna hafta live with that name) on the other hand seems the opposite of Shirley AND Jed, a more... well, the personality you expect from a huge intimidating talking Mesoamerican vampire-themed temple. Jed is more relaxed, sociable to an extent and keen on getting the Gobwin Knob side to relax enough to get past their various personality disorders, and then back into gear to do their jobs. Might be a feature of towers, probably connected to the Thinkamancy that creates them, they come with personalities meant to have a positive effect on the city's ruler and command; Jed helps Stanley get over himself and Bonnie to get her issues out, Shirley gives Charlie a desperately needed moral compass and someone who can say no to him, and Huehue seems strict, honour-bound and uncompromising, probably exactly the attitude you need to reign in Transylvito's collection of egos and personality problems.

...ooh, idea I saw in the official forums that I like; the Temples are an anti-cheating mechanism.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 7, 2018

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Sounds like the towers are part of the programming of the world itself in a way. Lots of references to what sound like "screensavers" to me including that last picture.

VVVV

:doh:

Geocities Homepage King fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 7, 2018

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, plus the fact that they speak in "Source".

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Android Blues posted:

I loved the Peanuts reference with Charlie hearing the "grown ups" talking as a series of warbling horn and trumpet sounds.

I feel kind of dumb I didn't think of this because I was too busy trying to match the description to modem sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
In the mental discussion that led to Big Think creating the tower golems, Claud mentioned that he had absolutely no concerns about golems' loyalty, that golems were an expression of the caster's will and would tend to follow the caster's intentions. That discussion also made clear that they created the tower golem by giving it a string - and since even Big Think has shown no sign of being able to create strings out of nothing, it must have been a piece of one of the casters' strings.

Exactly what the Thinkers expected the towers to do hasn't been mentioned, but they thought this was a preferable option to "go through the portal and try to kill Charlie", so it's safe to say they expect the temples to somehow lead to Charlie's demise. How much influence do they actually have on the temples' personalities and intentions? Hard to say at this point, but the comic seems to be setting up a whole bunch of loyalty-conflict stuff with golems as an impending major play, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's involved. After all, the Maggie golem is now linked via strings to Bill, Maggie, Jed, Huehue, Shirley, and Charlie, and it was already a source of major rule-breaking bullshit when it had half that many connections. Jed was able to remote-control the Maggie-golem and use it to order around Transylvitan dolls. Now there's two more temples that could potentially pull the same sort of poo poo with it.

I wouldn't call the temples "anti-cheat", either. Aside from being apparently being able to hand out free juice to units (even in enemy territory, under the right circumstances), they've also displayed a knack for knowing things they shouldn't. All three towers have displayed in-depth insight into the side's territory and units, to the point where it seems like they actually have the ability to read units' basic mindset. Jed told Stanley where to find the Juggle Elves, can actively see through the Maggie golem's eyes, and has been playing counselor to half the GK command staff. Shirley knew about a sad and lonely Archon in the sticks. And of course, let's not forget that Huehue instantly knew that Bill was traitorous. That takes a lot of the information asymmetry and scheming off the table. While that tends to hurt Charlie the most because he had the best info network by far and tended to rely the most on sneaky moves, it also takes a lot of unknowns off the table once every side in Erfworld has a Big Brother that can instantly detect when a unit is disloyal or even just unhappy, as well as possibly being able to determine the positioning of enemy forces in friendly territory.