Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I grew up with both Kyle and John as GL and it’s always kind of irritated me how the Geoff Johns run brought Hal back to the forefront while simultaneously highlighting just why he’s so forgettable and bland.

I grew up watching DCAU, so John was my GL and Wally was my Flash, so I get your frustration there. It was really annoying that Flash in the CW series is pretty much Wally. Like, if they're going to make him Wally anyway then why even bother calling him Barry in the first place?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If they were smart they’d make a buddy-cop movie with John Stewart mentoring a rookie Kyle Rayner so you’d get Kyle’s spontaneous, creative constructs and thinking clashing with John’s by-the-books architectural constructs.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I want too.

But would Kyle make a construct of an anime character? That's the biggest question here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Because Wally didn’t really exist anymore.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It's been hours since I watched and I still can't get over how much of a great villain Killmonger was. He was tailored to appeal to 3rd world countries, not just because of his rage, but because how much of a power fantasy for us his arc is, taking over a nation with massive military power and getting back at everyone, eye for an eye. It's not right, but it feels good to think about it and you can understand how people sympathize with him - when Bilbo was talking about how he dismantles governments someone in my theater said "Do it to us too!" and multiple people agreed. It's really, really good how tempting the whole thing was.

I wish I could find some reports about how much people here enjoyed him but there was a controversy over the voice actors - all of them were white - so I think most news websites focused on that instead.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Koalas March posted:

John was the only Lantern I knew for a long, long time. I'm tired of Hal. People talk about John being boring because he is practical and utilitarian but a good writer could make that interesting. What if he needs to work on thinking outside the box? you know, like a new character arc?? And honestly Hal is waaaaay more boring to me. I'd take Guy over him as well.

John and Shayera is a thing I wish got imported to the comics.

Mostly because it means Hawkman gets hosed over in the process.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Roth posted:

Agreed. Hawkman was 🎵the woooorst.🎵

That said, I kinda resent the way they dealt with Vixen in hindsight. She was awesome, a good girlfriend and tried to be friends with Shayera (iirc). She deserves better than some dude who strung her along and then cast her by the wayside. :colbert:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Koalas March posted:

Agreed. Hawkman was 🎵the woooorst.🎵

Batman telling Carter off was the best.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m imagining Tom Cruise devising some insane stunt where he’s dragged behind a plane in flight to get a realistic look for the flying sequences

This wouldn’t be his craziest stunt. Hell, for the latest MI he learned how to fly a loving helicopter so he could do the stunt flying himself. The man is loving insane and he’d be perfect for Hal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um0aZKbpe1Y

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Roth posted:

Hawkgirl had been rebooted like 9 times since that series started, so it wouldn’t have been the same Shayera.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Batman telling Carter off was the best.

Speaking of awesome animated Batman moments (is there still a BSS Animation thread?) Bruce being a better 'dad' than Superman in Young Justice was really great and refreshing and funny.

I'm so used to being like "Omg Bruce you should not he allowed to adopt these kids" (like in Teen Titans when Robin says "I've been doing this since I was nine!!") It was great and unexpected. I remember turning to my friend and saying "wow when Bruce Wayne is being a better dad than you, you need to check yourself".

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

John Stewart works best with the League. He's too much like the Corps too be the main character of a Corps movie without massive changes (unless you're going for, like, a space "Jarhead" angle but that sounds kinda awful) and doesn't have much supporting cast on Earth for a solo film. I'd rather he just show up in Justice League 2 since he'd be such a different personality from the rest of the team.

Other options include a Corps movie about four Earth dudes who get drafted at the same time into the Corps. Maybe three and have Hal as a MacGuffin. John, Kyle, and Guy are so different but have to gel in an insane space battlefield. An uptight but incredibly capable soldier has to lead an unscrupulous rear end in a top hat lawyer and an unassuming directionless artist in a war against the sinister Sinestro.

Winston Duke as John Stewart.
Joel McHale as Guy Gardener (Paul Dano if you wanna skew younger)
Steven Yeun as Kyle Rayner.
Tom Cruise can stay attached but he's Sinestro.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

As I've said many times before, the Green Lantern Corps works much better when they're idealistic space cops instead of regimented space marines.

Johns had them eating in a mess hall, ffs.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

Armie Hammer

Timothée Chalamet can play Arisia.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

As I've said many times before, the Green Lantern Corps works much better when they're idealistic space cops instead of regimented space marines.

Johns had them eating in a mess hall, ffs.

Police stations have mess halls.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Police stations have mess halls.

Sure, and schools have cafeterias, but the image of a mess hall evokes a military setting.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I don't think cops are any less problematic than the military. That barely matters to me in the end but my idea stands as a cop film instead, but now Sinestro is a space gangster.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

DCAU Batman was my absolute favorite growing up, but it’s a little tragic when you see that by Beyond he’s cut himself off from everyone else :smith:

I wish that DC would have adapted some of those AU concepts for the movies but lol

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Little Mac posted:

I don't think cops are any less problematic than the military.

No, they're not, but I'm talking about what's interesting to me for a superhero comic. A bunch of dudes going HOO RAH BROTHERS TO THE END LET'S SHOW EM BOYS while fighting huge space battles is incredibly dull to me, but individuals trying to solve problems and crimes in their space sector is compelling.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

No, they're not, but I'm talking about what's interesting to me for a superhero comic. A bunch of dudes going HOO RAH BROTHERS TO THE END LET'S SHOW EM BOYS while fighting huge space battles is incredibly dull to me, but individuals trying to solve problems and crimes in their space sector is compelling.

Since it's fiction, we can pretend that cops are actually good and caring and want to fix social ills instead of just exert power over people who can't fight back. Double that for space cops.

poo poo, I'm running a game of Werewolf: The Forsaken for facebook friends and werewolves are basically ICE for the spirit world. Probably less violent than ICE, too.

EDIT: I forgot my original reason for posting.

I was telling a friend who just watched Oscar Winner Suicide Squad how they hosed up Amanda Waller and it made me really pissed off over how badly they hosed up Amanda Waller.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
How did they gently caress up Amanda Waller?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Her straight up assassinating her people. Waller is determined and walks a line. She can be harsh, even cold, but she has a core of integrity that keeps her from being an out and out villain. When movie Waller just shrugged and shot her agents in the head, that was a crossed line.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was completely in character for numerous versions of Waller.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

None of that subplot made one iota of sense or was justified within the film whatsoever and it's clearly either left over from a prior draft or was unthinkingly added to make her/the movie "edgier" and "grittier"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

RIP me, I'm mainly familiar with her from the cartoon, but I thought that was supposed to be a pretty faithful parallel to the comics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cartoon Waller did not kill people because it was a cartoon.

Yeah, that was in-character for comic Waller, but I also agree with SlimGoodbody that it wasn't at all earned in the movie.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Yalan Gur for movie Green Lantern, or all humans die.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
IMO, the biggest way the film undermined Waller was via Enchantress. It'd be one thing if the team was merely tasked with cleaning up one of her past messes, but the villain of the film literally only becomes a world-destroying threat because of Waller's attempts to enlist her in the Squad. That hugely undermines both the entire point of the Squad and the uber-competence that's supposed to be one of her signature character traits.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

The movie's greatest sin is completely under-utilizing Viola loving Davis.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Koalas March posted:

The movie's greatest sin is completely under-utilizing Viola loving Davis.

Let's not forget the travesty that was the last movie Amanda Waller...under utilizing Angela Bassett.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

RevKrule posted:

Let's not forget the travesty that was the last movie Amanda Waller...under utilizing Angela Bassett.

Seriously, how does WB keep doing that? They get casting coups for that role and then waste it...

Though now I have to wonder, when they inevitably just reboot the whole thing, will they take a page out of the book of the DCAU and cast CCH Pounder?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Lager posted:

Though now I have to wonder, when they inevitably just reboot the whole thing, will they take a page out of the book of the DCAU and cast CCH Pounder?

Octavia Spencer?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

Octavia Spencer?

I just can't see her as evil. She's too silly and fun in almost everything I've seen her in.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
That makes it even better. See John Lithgow in 3rd Rock From The Sun and then Dexter or Charles Dance in Ali G Indahouse and then Game of Thrones or Witcher 3.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Samuringa posted:

That makes it even better. See John Lithgow in 3rd Rock From The Sun and then Dexter or Charles Dance in Ali G Indahouse and then Game of Thrones or Witcher 3.

Come now, everyone knows that Dr. Emilio Lizardo has always been a great villain!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lager posted:

Come now, everyone knows that Dr. Emilio Lizardo has always been a great villain!

Laugh while you can monkey boy!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mister Mind posted:

MOGO for movie Green Lantern, and all humans die.

Also Kyle Rayner has always been Half Hispanic, so let's get a lil Latin blood in there. I nominate myself. I accept, motion granted.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 8, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Adam Driver should play, whatshisname, Kylo Renner.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Jiro posted:

Also Kyle Rayner has always been Half Hispanic
Idk if this is sarcasm or not because this forum took my ability to detect such things and stabbed it in the squishies, but I do know for a fact that roughly ten thousand people are gonna take this as fact so I just gotta clarify that, nah, Kyle wasn't always half-hispanic. He is now, yeah, but his dad being named "Gabriel Vasquez" was a big ol' retcon made way after the character was introduced.

He was also some secret agent because literally every absentee parent in comics is a secret agent.

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness

Samuringa posted:

That makes it even better. See John Lithgow in 3rd Rock From The Sun and then Dexter

Or that movie I barely remember watching when I was a child where hes in prison and has a sword fight with an undercover cop while wearing phone books as improvised armour

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nothing But Hate posted:

Or that movie I barely remember watching when I was a child where hes in prison and has a sword fight with an undercover cop while wearing phone books as improvised armour

That's Ricochet with Denzel Washington, although John Lithgow is rather improbably a professional hitman and he's fighting a white supremacist to establish himself as the top dog in prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Nodosaur posted:

Albeit so did Tony, but at the very least, the movie isn't really firmly in favor of the idea that the superheroes will always make the best decisions on their own either.
Steve acknowledges this when discussing the Accords.

Kinda just skimming the discussion about the Avengers/SHIELD but I feel like most people are misremembering or misinterpreting. Fury is originally given the remit to set up the Avengers by the WSC (they do seem to have soured on the idea by the time of Avengers, but he does it anyway). The relationship between SHIELD and the Avengers isn't exactly spelled out but I think we can assume that they are ultimately responsible to Fury. He's hand-picking people who he trusts will do the right thing though. Their initial mission together on the Helicarrier is a bit of a disaster, but it was effectively sabotaged by mind-controlled Clint so it wasn't exactly all down to them.

After the Battle of New York, they're effectively disbanded/inactive. Clint is retired, Thor is back on Asgard, Banner and Tony are off being Science Bros, Steve and Nat are working for SHIELD.

The WSC has a bit more light shed on it in Winter Soldier. It seems to be a collection of representatives from different nations, presumably to give official oversight to SHIELD, and the Avengers also, considering both of them operate across different international jurisdictions. Of course, some of the WSC reps are killed, SHIELD is revealed to be really Hydra and effectively ceases to exist. (We can ignore AoS since it sort of operates afterwards with no oversight, except sort of later on in Season 4 when the US Government is sanctioning their activities).

So after Winter Soldier, there is presumably no WSC and no SHIELD either. The Avengers exist, but they're not a full-time team. They do become active again (with no oversight) to take down the remnants of Hydra, and reclaim Loki's scepter. The events here can largely be blamed on Tony, but again there's context since he was being manipulated by Wanda at the time (who herself was being manipulated by Hydra, and later Ultron).

Then we get to Civil War. Tony is sort-of retired after IM3, Cap is running his nu-Avengers team and continuing to hunt Rumlow (again, as a dangerous remnant of Hydra). Things go wrong, but I don't think Cap feels that Wanda is culpable in any way - she was trying to save lives (and ultimately probably did). I suppose we don't really know, but from the arguments he makes in the film, if she had done something irresponsible which caused deaths, he wouldn't have her back. Steve's argument is that the Avengers as a group should police themselves. That's sort of fine in theory, but in practice probably wouldn't work. After Avengers (WSC order SHIELD to launch a nuke at Manhattan) and Winter Soldier (Whoops We've Been Working For Hydra), you can understand his argument that "people means agendas, and agendas can change".

Also, just a reminder that in Civil War, T'Challa says "gently caress you" to the Accords and goes after Bucky in Bucharest on his own. He's in a similar amount of trouble as Steve is because of it, he is simply let off on account of being Royalty.

• Locked thread