Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

I became the Meraki expert at my new job because I set it up 1 AP a few years ago. I've been really happy with it. I put ~50 in a warehouse last week, and have another 50 or so going up in the next month.

I had it poo poo the bed a few weeks ago with people trying to use 10+ year old hand held scanners, when everything worked great on on the old Unifi APs.

I'm happy with the wireless, but haven't used any of their other stuff.

About a year before I started here, my directory had an opportunity to build out a greenfield network in the corporate hq and decided to do all Meraki.

I don't hate it, but I have some frustrations. The biggest is that doing any VPN stuff with non-meraki equipment is a nightmare.

e: added quote for context because this is a bad page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Big fan of the remote hands at our co-lo place deciding to get involved with a ticket raised for a change in the provider's network and going into our cabinet to plug random cables in without asking, two hours after closing the change request ticket out, and breaking a load of stuff :cheers:

If I gave a single gently caress about the services left in that trash fire of a site and could be bothered to move them yet again then I would.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

pixaal posted:

So obviously I'm using keepass so just setup a generator and forget about everything else since I need to use this most days. Today I got a strange error:
Someone has used @2*!QdiaD09MRv#31Ks in the last 90 days

They confirmed, the 90 days of passwords not being used is actually company wide to prevent reusing passwords! :eng99: By attempting to change the password to this one I reset the history counter too!

???

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

I think I'm having an aneurysm. Send booze.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Another customer had used the same password I had generated in the last 90 days (or attempted to change their password to it). We only have 1 admin account.

The service provider is handling passwords very poorly. We've been with them for over a decade now and we're not going to be moving anytime soon since we have a grandfathered rate that's insanely low (it's over 50% off).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If the password is like the one you posted then that's pretty insane odds to have a clash

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

pixaal posted:

Another customer had used the same password I had generated in the last 90 days (or attempted to change their password to it). We only have 1 admin account.

So, wait, 1 account, you attempted to reuse the password someone else did? It wasn't "someone else on a different account used this password so you can't"? That's way better than what I was thinking.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

So, wait, 1 account, you attempted to reuse the password someone else did? It wasn't "someone else on a different account used this password so you can't"? That's way better than what I was thinking.

Doesn't it mean that while they may hash their passwords they definitely don't salt them? That doesn't sound too good.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I would seriously be more concerned if my password was being compared against however many other accounts and told "someone else has this password, so you can't."

Edit rather than double post:

gently caress users. I get an "urgent" email to remove some people from a distribution list. So I do so while taking care of other stuff. It's quick and easy. So's making the ticket. Don't instantly email the user that it's completed. Thirty seconds after closing the ticket as completed, I get an email from them

"Is this done?! Please confirm!"

Yeah, I just didn't have the opportunity to email you.

"But they're still on the list in Outlook!"

No loving poo poo? Because it's been an entire minute since I removed them.

Fuuuuuu... And I rattled myself and sent a reply to the wrong user. :D Recall worked though!

Bunni-kat fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 7, 2018

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I’d do it for $150k a year.

Eeewww. You shouldn’t do this.

I make more than this and I work less than 40 hours a week most weeks. Granted, I have the occasional 6-day week or a 12-hour day, but no job needs 50-hour weeks to get things done.

None.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Agrikk posted:

I make more than this and I work less than 40 hours a week most weeks. Granted, I have the occasional 6-day week or a 12-hour day, but no job needs 50-hour weeks to get things done.

None.

Ehhh starting your own business probably does in the vast majority of instances.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Work as many hours as you want, just make sure you feel like you're adequately compensated for it. That amount may be different for different people.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I got a sweet taste of a 36 hour work week. That is my goal now. working 9 hours 4 days a week was bliss.
I understand Avenging_Mikon though. I made the jump to a 40 hour workweek with more salary without hesitation.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Work as many hours as you want, just make sure you feel like you're adequately compensated for it. That amount may be different for different people.

Yup, for example, my boss wanted me to do a job that would have taken me half a years worth of 16 hour days to get done within the deadline. I said sure, i'll do it if you pay my mortgage. All of it. Our external IT guy sided with me.

Boss decided it wasn't worth the money, which is a shame because i'd gladly do six months of hell to eliminate my monthly mortgage payments.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MF_James posted:

Ehhh starting your own business probably does in the vast majority of instances.

Building an asset that you retain ownership of is different to just slaving away at some service provider

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

Building an asset that you retain ownership of is different to just slaving away at some service provider

True.

I miss my 4x10s, those days were sweet.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Company has decided that every ticket, for every customer needs outbound calls every day.
Doesn't sound like a lot until you realize that customers tend to want actual updates, to ask questions and make requests.

We are even doing them where it makes no sense.
* Waiting on external vendor - Call customer every day.
* Customer tells us he is away/not contactable until x days - Call customer every day.
* Its a wholesaler who will need time to in-turn talk tot their end client. - Call customer every day.

In addition we need to write notes about each call. Internally.
And then different notes that are customer facing.

And they cant be the same thing as templates are required.
Cant we just used the same thing for both? - No.

We are the escalation point for both internal staff and pissed off customers.
What we are doing is basically suicide, as no real, actual work is getting done. We just get the stat that management cares about right this second, and gently caress everything else.
Billion dollar company folks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If I was your customer I'd tell you to stop loving calling me every day.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Agrikk posted:

None.

I'd do it considering it's like 3x my current salary. Once I got a good grip of my debt paid off though, I'd take a huge paycut just to get back to normal working hours.

I'm realistically never going to make that much money no matter how hard I cram so a temporary boost would be nice.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

fist4jesus posted:

I find harassing customers is a great way to keep them.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

pixaal posted:

I find harassing customers is a great way to keep them.

Works every time*

*100% of the time you lose your customers after keeping them for a very short period.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

fist4jesus posted:

Company has decided that every ticket, for every customer needs outbound calls every day.
Doesn't sound like a lot until you realize that customers tend to want actual updates, to ask questions and make requests.

* Customer tells us he is away/not contactable until x days - Call customer every day.
* Its a wholesaler who will need time to in-turn talk tot their end client. - Call customer every day.

In addition we need to write notes about each call. Internally.
And then different notes that are customer facing.

And they cant be the same thing as templates are required.
Cant we just used the same thing for both? - No.

We are the escalation point for both internal staff and pissed off customers.
What we are doing is basically suicide, as no real, actual work is getting done. We just get the stat that management cares about right this second, and gently caress everything else.
Billion dollar company folks.

:suicide:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
We did that at my last company, apparently it came from our American support manager who tried it and got "great results" in America, so therefore it should work for the EU.

I'm very glad my job there was short lived, some of our customers were very rude about it. My sympathy, dude.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've had to tell companies that I'd rather they just said nothing unless there was an update, or gave me the bad news if the news was bad. Stop loving around and trying to make everything a positive experience - I don't like having to eat poo poo but at least tell me the consistency of it and how much there will be when the need arises.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Agrikk posted:

None.

It's like 4x my current salary, and I don't really have much of a social life at 40 hours a week. Granted, I'd probably prefer 80k at 40 hours than 150k at 50 hours a week.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They're clearly not actually serious about 50 hours though, they don't want to write "this job will be your life".

stevewm
May 10, 2005
My best friend is a manager for a company that does contracted tech support from home. Some of the stupid bullshit I have seen his clients pull is amazing.

The stupidest by far was a client that used live chat. Agents where required to type something to the customer at least every 30 seconds. And they really reinforced in too.. The backend program they used had a little timer in the top left of the chat window that reset every time you sent a message. If it went past 30 seconds it would start flashing and this was recorded in your metrics report.

So if you told the customer to do something, and it takes them more than 30 seconds to respond, you have to make up something to say to them. Or if you where researching an account issue in the backend, you had to keep switching back to the live chat to check on the timer and type something if needed.

Adding to the stupidity, you sometimes had to handle multiple chats at once, all with different timers!

Needless to say he was glad to get rid of that project.....

His current project; the client has way more agents than licenses for the call center/recording software they use. And they are too cheap to buy the needed amount. So every shift change he and a few other managers have to login to the backend and activate/deactivate users so incoming employees on the next shift can do their job. If someone calls in or swaps shifts with someone else, they have to rush to fix it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

stevewm posted:

My best friend is a manager for a company that does contracted tech support from home. Some of the stupid bullshit I have seen his clients pull is amazing.

The stupidest by far was a client that used live chat. Agents where required to type something to the customer at least every 30 seconds. And they really reinforced in too.. The backend program they used had a little timer in the top left of the chat window that reset every time you sent a message. If it went past 30 seconds it would start flashing and this was recorded in your metrics report.

So if you told the customer to do something, and it takes them more than 30 seconds to respond, you have to make up something to say to them. Or if you where researching an account issue in the backend, you had to keep switching back to the live chat to check on the timer and type something if needed.

Adding to the stupidity, you sometimes had to handle multiple chats at once, all with different timers!

Needless to say he was glad to get rid of that project.....

That's really dumb, although it does piss me off when I'm using chat support as the customer and I send a reply and it takes them 5 minutes to even note I said something. Some form of middle ground would be nice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Along these lines, gently caress off with auto generated satisfaction surveys.

We have three hundred fiber attached raid arrays from one vendor, and every time one has some issue that isn't a bad disk (controller throwing errors, dying backup battery, a fan needs swapped, etc) it goes through a ticketing system to get handled. It's not quite a daily event but it's definitely a few per week.

Every single loving ticket produces a "how did we do??" survey a few days later. :fuckoff:

There should be some threshold where if one of your customers buys X units, that poo poo gets squelched and they send a customer service rep onsite once a year to talk in person about the relationship.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Thanks Ants posted:

I've had to tell companies that I'd rather they just said nothing unless there was an update, or gave me the bad news if the news was bad. Stop loving around and trying to make everything a positive experience - I don't like having to eat poo poo but at least tell me the consistency of it and how much there will be when the need arises.

We do all sorts of crazy poo poo.
For example. We commit to hourly updates on some high severity stuff.
- We do this with no regard to the situation, staffing, or other workload. On a night or a weekend I'm often 50-100% of the headcount.

An extreme example is sitting at work doing gently caress all else but calling a supplier, and then customer until told to stop.
I usually try and make the customer request it but some just want it.

Tech is six hours away - Call.
Tech is five hours away - Call.
Tech is four hours away - Call.

I soft of hate it but make a point to do gently caress all else when told to do stupid poo poo and just sort of zone out.
Nothing else gets done. And its hard for management to burn me for it, they try, but not often as it usually ends with them giving me a different instruction/priority, which I then also follow to the letter.

xzzy posted:

Along these lines, gently caress off with auto generated satisfaction surveys.

We do those as well. And the last person to have the case gets burned for it. Case sits in our Manila helpdesk for a week, they do gently caress all, we get it, fix it, bad nps score has my name on it.

fist4jesus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 7, 2018

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Thanks Ants posted:

true, in the former you become petit-bourgoise while in the latter you remain part of the proletariat

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Avenging_Mikon posted:

That's really dumb, although it does piss me off when I'm using chat support as the customer and I send a reply and it takes them 5 minutes to even note I said something. Some form of middle ground would be nice.

I like the forms to start a live chat where you enter all your details and then you get asked them again anyway

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I like the forms to start a live chat where you enter all your details and then you get asked them again anyway

I was told by an HP rep that the support agent doesn’t even have access to the information you fill out in the form.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

Ugh, I recently had to untangle a bureaucratic gently caress up between my health insurance company and the hospital my last daughter was born in. One of the many sticking points was the insurance company wanted the hospital's tax ID#, which the hospital wouldn't give me over the phone. Insurance guy suggested I go to the hospital and ask in person.

Motherfucker, you're a $184B company and were talking about one of the biggest hospitals in a state capital and you don't already know?

And that is somehow my problem?!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I'm starting to get pissed off at our network share structure, because our users don't give enough of a poo poo to understand it, and so it gets really complicated getting the information I need sometimes.

Everyone has a private network share, there's department shares, and a common share. These are set up as mapped drives, with the same letter designation used for everyone, private would be X, department Y, common Z.

I just got a request to give someone access to the X drive, because, even after I explained it, they didn't grasp that everyone has their own personal X, and you can't just say "give someone the X drive" because they have one, YOU JUST HAVE A SHORTCUT TO SOMEWHERE ELSE in your X. I would like to know where your shortcut in X goes to. It could be in Y, or Z. Gimme something to go on, because you've got 32 things in your own X so I can't just copy that over.

The Fool posted:

I was told by an HP rep that the support agent doesn’t even have access to the information you fill out in the form.

Yeah, that's my understanding. It's really, really dumb.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Yeah, that's my understanding. It's really, really dumb.

I quite often deal with telcos, corporates, callcentres.
Ones that want customer numbers or ticket numbers as part of their ivr and then ask for the same poo poo one the phone are common enough that it no longer surprises me.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
We have a fairly reasonable communication policy at work - the course of a typical contract is anywhere from 4-12 weeks and we are supposed to make contact every 10 working days, just as a status update even if it's just "hey, we didn't forget about you".

Needless to say, that often does not happen in an industry where it takes 4 weeks to get a permit.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

xzzy posted:

If I was your customer I'd tell you to stop loving calling me every day.

* Customer requested we stop calling. - Call customer every day.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 7, 2018

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Trying to contact Zimbra to get pricing. One of their sales reps emailed me for some details. Everytime I reply my message gets bounced back immediately by THEIR server due to "too much spammy content".

They are a email server software company........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do you work for the person that thinks G Suite and Exchange Online is too expensive?