Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you can keep your ottoman ideas and if you have the purple phoenix dlc you'll keep getting the free monarch point events i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

oddium posted:

me before the dlc comes out: hmmm. kinda weak. "innovativeness". might pass. vote with your wallet folks

me the day the dlc comes out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6_vyGuhkfA

Yeah. It doesn't sound very exciting, but England is absolutely my most played country, so...

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

420 Gank Mid posted:

One of the only things stopping the Ottomans from forming Byzantium is the "Is not Ottoman Empire" requirement on the decision, so forming literally any other tag will let you swap to Byz. I think Romania used to be the easiest formable nearby but now with Georgia divided with a decision to form it that could be just as fast or faster.

Yeah, going the Georgia route means you don't have to fight anyone even remotely tough. I did it by 1459 and I'm sure it could have been done faster.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Also you can choose to keep Georgian ideas and they seem pretty ok.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Did you attack Byz first or Georgia? Want to give this a try myself tonight.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

just remember to get the free core on constantinople before anything

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
You can also restore the themes for free 25% manpower forever which is cool

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Good thing missions trees are a free patch feature.

It is? Then this DLC has nothing to offer me.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

skasion posted:

Did you attack Byz first or Georgia? Want to give this a try myself tonight.

1. Kill Byzantium, move capital to Constantinople
2. Kill Georgia, core everything
3. Provoke Orthodox rebellion, let them run amok for a bit, accept demands
4. Add Georgian as accepted culture, unstate everything not-Georgian, shift to Georgian as primary culture; form Georgia.
5. Re-state everything Greek, unstate everything not-Greek, shift to Greek as primary culture; become the purple monster.
6. Spend a good while getting everything back to full core.

Steps 4 and 5 can be done within the same day of game time as long as you have the mana required to shift primary culture twice.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Does Byz have permanent claims everywhere or something? Also the Ottomans have some good events, does Byzantium?

RabidWeasel posted:

You can also restore the themes for free 25% manpower forever which is cool
I guess that this is pretty nice.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Missions to reform the whole of the original roman empire before it went bust, basically.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mr. Fowl posted:

It is? Then this DLC has nothing to offer me.

I am also Down about this Loadable Content.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Does shifting to a different country change your tech group?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You can never change unit group, except by some nation-specific events I think

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I'm doing an Austria run and just lost the league war. The Reformation itself was a joke (there were like 6 Protestant states, half of them OPMs) but Castille/Aragon/Naples, France, and the Ottomans all hated me and joined the Protestant League. I still managed to defeat and convert all but 2 of the Protestant states - Lubeck and Pomerania, before I conceded the war. Pomerania is now the Emperor of the Protestant HRE and the Emperorship has gone hereditary. Is there anything I can do to switch the HRE religion back to Catholic, or is it stuck as Protestant forever now even if I eradicate Protestantism?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm doing an Austria run and just lost the league war. The Reformation itself was a joke (there were like 6 Protestant states, half of them OPMs) but Castille/Aragon/Naples, France, and the Ottomans all hated me and joined the Protestant League. I still managed to defeat and convert all but 2 of the Protestant states - Lubeck and Pomerania, before I conceded the war. Pomerania is now the Emperor of the Protestant HRE and the Emperorship has gone hereditary. Is there anything I can do to switch the HRE religion back to Catholic, or is it stuck as Protestant now even if I eradicate Protestantism?

Nope, you’re stuck with it. If you eradicate Protestantism iirc it will just destroy the HRE because there’s no viable emperor.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Playing this for this first time since EU3. Why are danish rebels in Skane by far the scariest enemy in the earlier game and how do I stop them? All cored and stated and I accept danish culture but they can spawn more men than my force limit with a badass leader, all instantly in one province with good morale. I'm made a mistake somewhere but come on. They have the biggest force of anyone in Scandinavia and they two battles I lost to them drained more in MP for them than any one of me, Denmark, or Norway could field.

E Got them to piss off by boosting stab and granting autonomy cuz I figure at least I get bonuses to reducing it as Sweden but what is a good way to avoid them getting dangerous to begin with? Also did me aiding Norway's independence war vs Denmark make them extra pissed?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 9, 2018

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the best way to deal with powerful rebel groups early game is to make sure they don't spawn in the first place - increasing autonomy usually does the trick. if the stack is genuinely too big to fight, burn some mil points on harsh treatment even.

once they've spawned they can be a bitch and a half, as you've noticed. you might even need to give them what they want. but hey, any excuse to go crush the dane again, right?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Early game you're usually best managing revolts proactively, especially by using the increase autonomy button; when you have a 20k army and the rebels will pop 25k you're looking at spending a huge amount of cash and manpower to kill them. Later on you just murder rebels or get idea groups that makes them not happen.

E:

Should have refreshed :doh:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also, it looks like I've got at least 3 more ideas than any AI I've checked. Should I be putting more points into tech instead?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, it looks like I've got at least 3 more ideas than any AI I've checked. Should I be putting more points into tech instead?

Are you significantly behind on tech? In that case you could consider it, but in general I think it is usually more useful to fill out an idea group than it is to buy any individual level of admin or diplo tech. Military tech is different because being even one tech behind an enemy on that can be disastrous.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the good dip ideas are 100% better than having new boats or whatever

admin ideas hurt because you'll be scrounging for paper to core with and also admin tech is what gets you more idea groups and states

mil tech is king though and mistiming when to take a mil idea group and falling too far behind on mil tech can be rough for a while

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

What is a fun area to play in for the Ideas Guy achievement? I was thinking Malaysia but I'm not sure I want to have to deal with Ming tributary bullshit.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Traxis posted:

What is a fun area to play in for the Ideas Guy achievement? I was thinking Malaysia but I'm not sure I want to have to deal with Ming tributary bullshit.

It's easy to become super America if you start by the Mayans or Incans with a super combat western tech country and an extra colonist or two.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 10, 2018

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I might try Ideas Guy just for fun. If you start in North America, what would be a good idea set? +1 colonist is a given. I'm not sure about the +20 colonist speed, though.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Node posted:

I might try Ideas Guy just for fun. If you start in North America, what would be a good idea set? +1 colonist is a given. I'm not sure about the +20 colonist speed, though.

I'd try something like this.

Though with a male heir and probably a Central American culture. Maybe Hindu instead of Coptic too since you can't get the holy sites.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 10, 2018

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Take the Siberian outposts idea. Take all of the Americas by 1550

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Challenge yourself. Norse Western Tech OPM and go for First Come First Serve and For Odin as well.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

If you make a nation with one of the reformable native religions but a non - American government type, what happens? Do you still need to pass religious reforms? Do you pass them but then you can just immediately pass the final reform without the requirement to border another country with a non - American government?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

If you're not tribal and non-feudalism tech type, you can't do the reforms and the religion just sucks.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You know playing as Holland and getting the entire HRE and Italy in a coalition against me when my only ally was Cleves might have been a mistake, but I think the Dutch would be proud seeing my ten thousand men stack wiped and watching their two hundred thousand occupy the provinces. I technically had a six to one kill to death ratio.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Traxis posted:

I combined it with the Zoroastrian one starting in East Africa. You can smash all your neighbors (except Kilwa) off the bat because they have a mil tech disadvantage and grab a bunch of goldmines to fund the rest of your wars.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Never played England or the Low Countries before, kinda thinking of getting this dumb dlc. Of course I liked the Russian flavor pack as well...I don't have Cradle yet though? Seems like I should get that first but don't really care at all about drilling. Is there anything particularly awesome in Cradle?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Trade policies are pretty cool, and if you ever want to play in the middle east virtually every state there has some kind of unique government mechanic which is CoC-only.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Isn’t promoting advisors a CoC feature too? Not always useful but I like it a lot.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

skasion posted:

Isn’t promoting advisors a CoC feature too? Not always useful but I like it a lot.
I find it almost always useful and LOVE IT

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Can anyone tell me more about the Doom mechanic for aztecs?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

double nine posted:

Can anyone tell me more about the Doom mechanic for aztecs?

https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Religions_and_denominations#Nahuatl

The best way to deal with it and pass your reforms ASAP is to literally always be at war. Break truces liberally, fight easy battles that you can stackwipe, and sacrifice your vassals' rulers at every opportunity. Don't even think about keeping your vassals loyal, because you're just going to lose them every time you pass a reform. If you're quick and smart about it you can fully reform within a few decades and then chill out until the Europeans arrive.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Religions_and_denominations#Nahuatl

The best way to deal with it and pass your reforms ASAP is to literally always be at war. Break truces liberally, fight easy battles that you can stackwipe, and sacrifice your vassals' rulers at every opportunity. If you're quick and smart about it you can fully reform within a few decades and then chill out until the Europeans arrive.

where does one sacrifice people? I tried a first run not understanding that bigger territory means faster doom gain and thought about sacrificing my leader to salvage the situation, but couldn't find the option.

also am I correct that the aztec and inca have achievements (sun god/sunset invasion) but the maya don't? Or am I bad at reading the chievo list?

double nine fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vassal interaction tab. You don't want to sacrifice your own ruler, that's what happens when you hit 100 doom.