Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

rydiafan posted:

Based on the linked videos I think he was talking about Angry Joe, who is garbage.

Oh yeah, he's pure shite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Romes128 posted:

Lol what?

There were open betas. A ton of people knew what the gameplay was like. Search YouTube for the beta videos and you see individual videos with tens and hundreds of thousands of views.

Wasn't the beta a multiplayer wave-defence game?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah all the Survive beta was, was an almost empty white hub you gathered up with people in and then you selected one of three missions on two maps and just defended a point for a few waves. None of the survival elements played in at all other than grabbing starter materials to make like three walls and a gun turret, and there wasn't any open world stuff either.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I'd be interested in would be a game where it simulated being something so inhuman as to not even use the same senses, like a Spider. Having to navigate based not on visual accuracy but on light intensity or vibration alone, with no real sense of up or down because it doesn't loving matter, everything is the floor. You find a nice dark spot to spin your web, only for it to shake apart suddenly in the morning, and suddenly due to how hard it vibrates you see a massive shape displacing the hell out of the air and realise - one of the walls you used to anchor your web was actually the side of a tumble-dryer.

Just research the hell out of whatever you pick, find out how it does see the world and try to translate it to an audio visual medium.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I'd be interested in would be a game where it simulated being something so inhuman as to not even use the same senses, like a Spider. Having to navigate based not on visual accuracy but on light intensity or vibration alone, with no real sense of up or down because it doesn't loving matter, everything is the floor. You find a nice dark spot to spin your web, only for it to shake apart suddenly in the morning, and suddenly due to how hard it vibrates you see a massive shape displacing the hell out of the air and realise - one of the walls you used to anchor your web was actually the side of a tumble-dryer.

Just research the hell out of whatever you pick, find out how it does see the world and try to translate it to an audio visual medium.

Did you ever play that cockroach adventure game?

E: Bad Mojo : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Mojo

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
No but I know of it. I saw Chip and Ironicus play it at Gextralife.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm really glad the faux anger thing that was mandatory for online critics has completely died off it seems. Still better than that poo poo from Richard Brody though.

Bastion has a bunch of neat stuff that all works really well together so I'm not sure if it's a little thing as such. There are lots of different weapons but you can only carry two at once so it's easy to find a loadout that works for you and beat the game with it. However there are also a couple of challenge arenas where you fight waves of enemies so you can try out different loadouts and to encourage this the game has a bunch of vigils. Vigils are challenges like "kill X enemies with one shot of the Y" that earn you a bunch of money. Naturally the best way to get them is to do one of the arenas where you know the spawns and can manufacture the scenario need with the weapon you need. I'm using a bunch of weapons in regular play now that I'd written off ages ago and finding them super useful.

I think I wrote about this one before but every game should have a Lost and Found feature. In Bastion you can't revisit levels you've beaten so you might miss out on upgrade materials or collectibles scattered around the map, especially in levels where the floor is collapsing behind you. Anything you miss will show up in the Lost and Found building back at your mission hub and you can purchase it instead of picking it up for free. Really neat way to avoid missable items but still encourage people to explore to find them.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Shovel Knight does that too, you can revisit levels but it's really cool to have the alternative

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Due to it being set in the same world as World to the West(due to the state of the tower in the beginning in both I assume WttW takes place between the Teslamancers breaking away from the King that they helped and his resulting massacre of their people) I've started playing Teslagrad. It's pretty cute so far with some interesting powers and platforming. I love the little puppet theatres telling the backstory of the tower :3:

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 12:37 on Mar 6, 2018

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

EmmyOk posted:

Bastion has a bunch of neat stuff that all works really well together so I'm not sure if it's a little thing as such. There are lots of different weapons but you can only carry two at once so it's easy to find a loadout that works for you and beat the game with it. However there are also a couple of challenge arenas where you fight waves of enemies so you can try out different loadouts and to encourage this the game has a bunch of vigils. Vigils are challenges like "kill X enemies with one shot of the Y" that earn you a bunch of money. Naturally the best way to get them is to do one of the arenas where you know the spawns and can manufacture the scenario need with the weapon you need. I'm using a bunch of weapons in regular play now that I'd written off ages ago and finding them super useful.

They really took this to the next level in their second game Transistor. You obtain "functions" which you can fit into 3 different slots. You can use them as an active ability, as an upgrade/modifier to a (different) active ability or stick them in a passive slot. In the beginning your options are rather limited but gradually you have a larger variety, you unlock more slots and can use more functions at the same time. And if you lose all your health, the game will recharge your health at the cost of not being able to use some functions for a couple of fights. This encourages you to adapt and rely on functions you weren't using.

And like Bastion, there are also a lot of challenge maps. One forces you to use specific functions and kill enemies within a time limit. Another one will give you random functions after each fight, but the ones you lose are gone for the remainder of the challenge.

And then after finishing the game, you get New Game+ with the ability to use functions in multiple slots at the same time. The game really encourages to constantly try new combinations.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 12:42 on Mar 6, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Not 100% the same but the game “In The Pit” was one where you had to navigate entirely by sound and vibration in the controller.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's a segment in Hellblade where you can't see at all and have to navigate entirely through sound and/or controller vibration. It's also one of the most tense sequences in the game.

There was a horror game that came out last year (Perception?) where you play as a blind woman and see through vibration whenever you hit an object. It wasn't very well-reviewed though, as I recall.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's not really true, you can see a little bit, although so little that it probably depends on your TV settings and ambient light. Just enough to make out nearby detail, so once you get close enough to the goal you can head straight for it. And just enough to see the shapes of the monsters and how far they are from human.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I'm really glad the faux anger thing that was mandatory for online critics has completely died off it seems. Still better than that poo poo from Richard Brody though.
Haha, completely died off.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

exquisite tea posted:

There's a segment in Hellblade where you can't see at all and have to navigate entirely through sound and/or controller vibration. It's also one of the most tense sequences in the game.

There was a horror game that came out last year (Perception?) where you play as a blind woman and see through vibration whenever you hit an object. It wasn't very well-reviewed though, as I recall.

Oh that Hellblade segment really was sound based huh? I couldn't figure it out so I had to just load up cheatengines speed hack and brute force it. Man that game really hosed up on the a11y side with the subtitles missing like 90% of dialogue and the rest being mistimed or wrong.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I wonder if whoever read that, ever actually read the arc that dealt with Bruce Banner's abusive lovely dad.

Sounds like the amazing super under-rated post-modernist art-piece that is the 2003 Hulk movie.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I thought this was just an obnoxious way of saying "ally" for a second and was really confused until I looked it up.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Is hellblade a game worth playing if you already know the story (or at least how it ends)? I think it's a cool idea and setting and I love stories like that but I've never heard anything good about the gameplay.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

marshmallow creep posted:

I thought this was just an obnoxious way of saying "ally" for a second and was really confused until I looked it up.

Only time I've ever seen something like this is in code development, where 'i18n' is shorthand for 'internationalization'.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

scarycave posted:

Is hellblade a game worth playing if you already know the story (or at least how it ends)? I think it's a cool idea and setting and I love stories like that but I've never heard anything good about the gameplay.

In the most basic terms the gameplay is extremely simple. Most of the puzzles consist of finding a certain viewpoint in the world and the combat is a bare-bones third person brawler with the usual light, heavy, counter, etc. It's beautiful and well-executed but not ambitious or creative in terms of interaction.

However, Hellblade is far more than the sum of its parts and the reason people love it is that every aspect of the entire presentation contributes to the whole of the experience. The viewpoint gimmicks have thematic meaning. The combat relates to Senua's experience and memories and tenuous grip on reality. Even the collectible lore tidbits which are just stories from Norse mythology are leading somewhere. It's a game possessing a rare absolute focus and purposeful artistic direction behind every last thing it does. Experiencing it is very different from reading spoilers and probably still worth doing.

haveblue has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Mar 6, 2018

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The final section of Hellblade is one of the most epic experiences I've had in gaming. And epic in the "grand in scale or character" sense, not the modern definition. It is a perfect culmination of everything you have been through, the state of Senua at that point in the story, and a flawless execution in terms of visuals, sound, and gameplay.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

scarycave posted:

Hellblade is one of my favorite games of 2017 but it's hard to recommend because it's not for everyone. The gameplay isn't awful by any means but it's quite simple and isn't the main core of the experience. If you come in purely expecting complex hack & slash combat or brainbending puzzles then you'll be disappointed. It's one of those "executes on a dedicated artistic vision to become more than the sum of its parts" kind of game and is worth experiencing for the combination of the visuals, audio and story. If you've enjoyed games like Shadow of the Colossus, Silent Hill 2, or SOMA then Hellblade shares some common DNA there.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'll look into Hellblade, I always enjoy games with strong themes, positive or negative. Positive is more fun to replay, but negative are more interesting (if done well).

Although my favourite games tend to be the unusual ones, like Fantasy Life which has no villain, all conflict is down to poor communication and everyone is just unrelentingly nice in a non-cloying way.

I think my main hesitation with Hellblade was when a game is trying for unpleasant themes for whatever reason it is a much more delicate balancing act, because a world being too nice may be cloying and irritating, a world being too dark can result in everyone being just unpleasant and awful to interact with. At least a world that is overly nice is likable in some ways, but a world of assholes is just exhausting, like God of War where the only likable characters are the civilians that Kratos kills. Even a world of the Terrible needs something to anchor it, The Mad Max game is largely bearable because Hope, Grippa, Jeet and Pinkeye all exist doing their best in the face of constant assaults by marauders. There existence adds a layer of hope to a hopeless world that that is important. God of War has no hope because everyone who could make the world better is murdered by either a god or a sociopath.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Mar 6, 2018

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Nuebot posted:

It's called memory. You remember these things you encounter. You use your brain to perform the simple arithmetic. I'm dumb as gently caress and I've never felt the pressing need to get a second monitor just for use in crafting games.

As much as it pains me to agree with MisterBibs, a lot of those style of games have way to much poo poo to remember. Does this guy like rocks or flowers? Do I need butter or milk for this recipe? How much wood makes a plank? When there are potentially hundreds of recipes and things to keep track of, a wiki is almost necessary.

BioEnchanted posted:

Although my favourite games tend to be the unusual ones, like Fantasy Life which has no villain, all conflict is down to poor communication and everyone is just unrelentingly nice in a non-cloying way.

Fantasy Life is so aggressively friendly that you can't help but love it. Even the one guy you think is a bad guy is just pranking someone else and took it too far. Plus you can get through the entire game by only smacking the crystals, and never killing a single thing.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Hellblade is one of my favorite games of 2017 but it's hard to recommend because it's not for everyone. The gameplay isn't awful by any means but it's quite simple and isn't the main core of the experience. If you come in purely expecting complex hack & slash combat or brainbending puzzles then you'll be disappointed. It's one of those "executes on a dedicated artistic vision to become more than the sum of its parts" kind of game and is worth experiencing for the combination of the visuals, audio and story. If you've enjoyed games like Shadow of the Colossus, Silent Hill 2, or SOMA then Hellblade shares some common DNA there.

Yeah, same here. For example, there are a few extended fight sequences in that take a really long time and start to kind of drag. Taken on their own, those parts were frankly not very good, gameplay-wise. However, since I played through the whole game in just two long marathon sessions, that actually worked to the game's advantage. These super long extended knock-down, drag-out fights really emphasized the sheer struggle and attrition on the part of the protagonist, which made the final release at the end that much more impactful.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Kruller posted:

As much as it pains me to agree with MisterBibs, a lot of those style of games have way to much poo poo to remember. Does this guy like rocks or flowers? Do I need butter or milk for this recipe? How much wood makes a plank? When there are potentially hundreds of recipes and things to keep track of, a wiki is almost necessary.

Fantasy Life is so aggressively friendly that you can't help but love it. Even the one guy you think is a bad guy is just pranking someone else and took it too far. Plus you can get through the entire game by only smacking the crystals, and never killing a single thing.

I also like that there is a reason to complete all the challenges and max out the Lives - it gets you a little cutscene of the character being given a graduation party :3:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Kruller posted:

A proper UI goes a long way. Nothing is more crafting-complicated than Factorio (virtually by definition) but I never feel the need to open a wiki except for the edge case things.

Contrast with Terraria, in which basically everything past the first 10 minutes is an 'edge case' of some sort or other, and you need either sturdy Alt and Tab buttons, or a second monitor.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Alright, guess I'll probably end up getting Hellblade sooner or latter. Really only thing I know about the game are one or two cutscenes - but I'd probably get more out of actually playing it.
I mean, I knew silent hill 2's ending long before I finally got to play it in the HD collection, and I still cried a bit during the ending because Mary's actress started breaking down while reading the letter.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I honestly found Hellblade unbearably boring and quit at a long extended section where I was shuffling around a boat with a torch and pushing blocks or some loving thing. I don't know. The mental illness stuff didn't really work for me, was expecting it to :shrug:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Hellblade was one of my favorite games of last year, which is terribly annoying because I'd wanted to stop paying attention to Ninja Theory forever.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MiddleOne posted:

Sounds like the amazing super under-rated post-modernist art-piece that is the 2003 Hulk movie.

Sort of? Except his dad was just an rear end in a top hat who was afraid radiation mad his sperm bad so he beat his kid. He only ever turned into a literal monster in bruce's weird bad dad dreams I think?

BioEnchanted posted:

There was just so much you could do in Fantasy Life and the game never like, forced you to do anything or told you, you couldn't do it either. It was cool and good. If you wanted to do nothing but become the world's best lumber jack - you were free to! Other skills would help, but you didn't have to do poo poo.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I can't play Hellblade because I have to keep pausing it every 10 seconds to play with the camera mode, it's so good. I found a couple of areas early on where if you go into screenshot mode you can see stuff happening 'off screen' which Senua is reacting to.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Fantasy Life is just a ding dang delight and I'd recommend it to anyone. It's just this giant, genial playground, and yeah, I'm always a sucker for games in which one can excel at jobs or tasks that are not (necessarily) combat-oriented, like cooking or fishing or sewing.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Nuebot posted:

It's not just goons. People will just absorb one popular idiot's opinion and then run around acting like that's solid fact. The original Nier had a similar issue, one reviewer was too dense to follow basic instructions he'd been following the whole game up until then and gave the game a negative review because he fished in the wrong spot and gave up. So for a good while after that you'd get people showing up and shouting about how the game had an impossible, mandatory and game ruining fishing segment.

Or how often people would go into Dark Souls expecting it to be I Want to be the Guy sort of garbage because of the popular idiot reputation.

I love the original Nier, but it did have two problems related to the fishing: Both explanations of the mechanics of it (manual and in game) were, as much as I can remember, wrong. As in this-part-was-written-by-somebody-who'd-never-played-the-game wrong (It told you to press the stick in the wrong direction.) Secondly, yes, that quest had a fishing spot ridiculously close to another fishing spot and the quest wasn't real clear with it's directions.

The game was awesome, but those two things were bad.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

It's such a stupid thing to love but I loved that in the expanded Insomnia map in FF15's new expansion you can meet up with your own kingsglaive avatar from the multiplayer DLC for a side quest.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Holy shiiiit the Sentinal bossfight in Wolverine: Origins is amazing. It's like a textbook example of how to do an OTT boss.

First, you spend a decent chunk of the preceding level fighting and platforming around it, giving you an idea of its size. Then it comes online and chases you to the roof. Once there it turns into a kinda Shadow of the Colossus style giant fight, in which you gradually smash off its hands and feet.

Then the motherfucker activates its rocket boots and soars into low earth orbit with Wolverine clinging to its ankle. After you've broken a bit off it plunges to earth and you have to fly after it dodging debris, before crashing into it and gradually dismembering its flight equipment (including Wolverine hurling himself through a jet engine. It smashes into a cliffside, and is finally taken out by Wolverine turning himself into a human bullet and *boom* headshot.

Felt like a Platinum Games boss - basically the highest compliment you can give. This game rules.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yakuza of the North Star has a toggle for the normal kind of death screams from the anime etc, and then death screams from an audition they had for people across Japan; if you choose the latter it says the name and location of the winner who provided it. That is love.

Cross-posting this dude from the PS4 thread.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pastry of the Year posted:

Fantasy Life is just a ding dang delight and I'd recommend it to anyone. It's just this giant, genial playground, and yeah, I'm always a sucker for games in which one can excel at jobs or tasks that are not (necessarily) combat-oriented, like cooking or fishing or sewing.
It's really good.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Finally getting around to Bayonetta, currently at Burning Ground. So far I'm terrible at the game, I've died a bunch on Normal, but I'm liking the spectacle, like fighting one of the heads of the dragons-connected-to-the-angel-face boss stuck in a Church window, then it dislodges not only it's own head but most of the church as well and you end up fighting it in the air, that was pretty cool. I also liked the early Jeane boss that serves to teach the Witch Walk mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And then it finally shakes the church off its head, and it launches a huge fireball at you, which you counter by throwing the remains of the church at it.

That game is utterly loving batshit and it's glorious.