Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Replace Warlock with Cleric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

Are you suggesting that Beastmaster is not the weakest class? Or that Beastmaster gets abilities beyond "being able to spend 8 hours to auto-pass the Animal Handle checks to befriend and teach tricks to a CR 1/4 critter"?

The latter.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

MonsterEnvy posted:

The latter.

Oh, really? Let's see...

Lvl 7: Exceptional Training
Hilariously irrelevant, because it highlight how the Ranger's Companion is actually worse than a befriended animal, because an animal can act on their own while the Companion needs the Ranger to spend their actions to do anything.

Lvl 11: Bestial Fury
Also irrelevant, because - specially at this level - the Ranger attacking is much better than ordering the RC to attack.

Lvl 15: Share Spells
Congratulations! This one, the capstone of the archetype, a level rarely reached, highlights yet another baffling imbalance. Did you know that another class gets an ability like this? It's true! They get an animal companion, with this ability, at level 5. And you know what it costs them? Is it taking an archetype that provides no other usable abilities? No, of course not! All it takes them is to prepare a spell called Find Steed.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Now, I don't dislike 5e to quite the extent that some folks in here do but... you're really gonna need to explain this one beyond "no, you're wrong."

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It's a pretty egregious case of an entire archetype of a weaker class being no better than a single spell from a better class.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conspiratiorist posted:

Oh, really? Let's see...
Lvl 11: Bestial Fury
Also irrelevant, because - specially at this level - the Ranger attacking is much better than ordering the RC to attack.

This one is not true cause the Ranger and the Beast can both attack at this point. (And two attacks from the beast with the bonus's given from the ranger should be better then one regular attack from the ranger.)

Also I am not denying the class is weak. Just that the subclass does more then "being able to spend 8 hours to auto-pass the Animal Handle checks to befriend and teach tricks to a CR 1/4 critter"?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dragonatrix posted:

Now, I don't dislike 5e to quite the extent that some folks in here do but... you're really gonna need to explain this one beyond "no, you're wrong."

Cause it does do more then then what the guy said. Not much more, but it does do more.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

MonsterEnvy posted:

This one is not true cause the Ranger and the Beast can both attack at this point. (And two attacks from the beast with the bonus's given from the ranger should be better then one regular attack from the ranger.)

Also I am not denying the class is weak. Just that the subclass does more then "being able to spend 8 hours to auto-pass the Animal Handle checks to befriend and teach tricks to a CR 1/4 critter"?

This is level 11. Two of the wolf's non-magical attacks are most definitely not better than the Ranger attacking, whether they're applying PAM, CBE, TWF, or just Hunter's Mark.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 7, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I think the point is that there are other -things- it can do. Not that those things are very good.

By comparison the Revised Ranger, and Revised Beastmaster, is pretty nice.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arthil posted:

I think the point is that there are other -things- it can do. Not that those things are very good.

By comparison the Revised Ranger, and Revised Beastmaster, is pretty nice.

Yeah that was pretty much all I was saying. And I agree there.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also the D&D beyond App beta has launched. And nicely unlike the site it does not require online to use the books. Still not the best deal if you already own the books, but this is helpful.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/changelog/163-the-ddb-mobile-app-beta-has-launched

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Hey guys my skeleton wizardman is probably gonna die alongside some other player characters because our GM (being upfront beforehand) let us know a superdeadly encounter was being thrown at us.

What should I play next? Other characters in the party, who may also die and so should not be duplicated:

Winged drow-tiefling cleric-warlock
Homebrew-mindflayer lore bard
Human vengeance paladin
Elf storm sorcerer
Godawful homebrew mess I won't even try to describe, but vaguely monklike

Yeah it's a bigass party this campaign is a mess.

Special caveat: Homebrew tentatively allowed when run past the GM :siren:

Currently considering: Ancestor Spirit Barbarian.

Also I'm already a hexblade in a separate campaign where I'm in no danger of dying.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsterEnvy posted:

Assuming a 5 dex ranger using hunter's mark, a mundane longbow, ranged focus, and no favoured enemy, it breaks even average damage wise with an advantage wolf at AC 15, plus a low success rate prone effect. Note that that's break even with your own attack. A non-beastmaster ranger would be doing about the same damage just by just attacking twice before you even take into account whatever their archetype is doing for them. Throw in a magic weapon or if it's your favoured enemy and it's AC 16 or 17 before using your signature ability is actively worse than pretending it doesn't exist, never mind better. If your ranger has advantage then it's always worse (13 damage without a magic weapon vs 7 damage x2 with a much lower chance to hit) or if they aren't using a wolf.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Mar 7, 2018

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
In any case that article is still terrible since it first claims that people just think BM is bad because they're apparently too dumb to understand the rules text, but then admits that it takes a good deal of system mastery/optimization to make BM not suck, ignoring that if you apply that that same level of optimization to literally anything else it would still be far better than BM.

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

This seems like an appropriate time to ask this.

I'm currently playing a level 4 Beastmaster Ranger and it doesn't look like there's much good stuff coming up, so I'm thinking of hitting level 5 in Ranger to get the 2nd attack and then multiclass to Fighter (probably Battlemaster). Terrible idea? Are there any other options I should look at?

It's either that or I get myself killed, I guess :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

the onion wizard posted:

This seems like an appropriate time to ask this.

I'm currently playing a level 4 Beastmaster Ranger and it doesn't look like there's much good stuff coming up, so I'm thinking of hitting level 5 in Ranger to get the 2nd attack and then multiclass to Fighter (probably Battlemaster). Terrible idea? Are there any other options I should look at?

It's either that or I get myself killed, I guess :v:
UA BM Ranger is good. It's not bard level but it's well serviceable and I've had a blast with it. Print it out https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_RevisedRanger.pdf hand it to your GM and ask to convert.

E: if you're in adventurer's league just respec into another class.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

You're in a rough spot. It'll technically be an improvement, since an extra Fighting Style, Action Surge, and whatever archetype abilities you get will be better than sticking with Ranger... but you are hampered by having taken Ranger in the first place.

Rebuild if you can.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Splicer posted:

Can I suggest a better "forest man with companion animal" class at level 4 if you respec? Human variant Forest Themed Rogue with the magic initiate feat(find familiar: owl for your animal companion that can't fight) and the survival extra skill to be good in a forest (if you do not take the wanderer background). You will still use a range weapon (okay a crossbow) but do more damage and you still have a (now non fighting) companion animal and you will have more skills and probably more magic if you go arcane trickster.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Toplowtech posted:

Can I suggest a better "forest man with companion animal" class at level 4 if you respec? Human variant Forest Themed Rogue with the magic initiate feat(find familiar: owl for your animal companion that can't fight) and the survival extra skill to be good in a forest (if you do not take the wanderer background). You will still use a range weapon (okay a crossbow) but do more damage and you still have a (now non fighting) companion animal and you will have more skills and probably more magic if you go arcane trickster.
At level 4 they could also just go straight arcane trickster using their free choice spell for find familiar. Opens up more races or gives a free feat to play with for variant human.

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

Splicer posted:

UA BM Ranger is good. It's not bard level but it's well serviceable and I've had a blast with it. Print it out https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_RevisedRanger.pdf hand it to your GM and ask to convert.

Not Adventurer's League. I'll ask my DM about respeccing to the revised Ranger.

quote:

Keeping Track of Proficiency
When you gain your animal companion at 3rd level, its
proficiency bonus matches yours at +2. As you gain
levels and increase your proficiency bonus, remember
that your companion’s proficiency bonus improves as
well, and is applied to the following areas: Armor Class,
skills, saving throws, attack bonus, and damage rolls.

Is that how it's supposed to work with the regular Beastmaster? The PHB doesn't really say anything like that.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
https://twitter.com/paizo/status/971145934036856833

Really looking forward to seeing how similar to 5e this ends up being.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Splicer posted:

At level 4 they could also just go straight arcane trickster using their free choice spell for find familiar. Opens up more races or gives a free feat to play with for variant human.
Make me wish arcane trickster wasn't centered about casting Wizard spells really but hey Druid spells would kinda destroy the ranger niche.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

the onion wizard posted:

Not Adventurer's League. I'll ask my DM about respeccing to the revised Ranger.

Is that how it's supposed to work with the regular Beastmaster? The PHB doesn't really say anything like that.
It's much more poorly worded but yes. Note that prof is already calculated for your beasts attack, so you don't get to add 2 on top of the listed value, but it goes up as yours does. You do get to add it straigh on to AC, damage, etc because they don't get it normally.

Also lol I forgot to factor in the prof bonus in my damage calculations earlier. Still bad though.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 7, 2018

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

Splicer posted:

It's much more poorly worded but yes. Note that prof is already calculated for your beasts attack, so you don't get to add 2 on top of the listed value, but it goes up as yours does. You do get to add it straigh on to AC, damage, etc because they don't get it normally.

Also lol I forgot to factor in the prof bonus in my damage calculations earlier. Still bad though.

Sorry I should have worded my question better. The PHB doesn't really indicate that the beast has an implied proficiency bonus already, but now that you point it out it would only matter for attacks and proficient skills (I think). I've been playing with the Giant Poisonous Snake having +8 to hit (+6 from the MM and +2 from my proficiency bonus).

I think the MPMB character sheet I used makes the same mistake too actually.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

the onion wizard posted:

Sorry I should have worded my question better. The PHB doesn't really indicate that the beast has an implied proficiency bonus already, but now that you point it out it would only matter for attacks and proficient skills (I think). I've been playing with the Giant Poisonous Snake having +8 to hit (+6 from the MM and +2 from my proficiency bonus).

I think the MPMB character sheet I used makes the same mistake too actually.
Yeah, unfortunately it's just 6. 4 from dex + 2 from prof, just like a regular person. The good news is that switching to the UA ranger gives your beast ASIs when you do, so at level 4 you can jack its dex to 20 and then start pumping its con or wis. You also get to train it two skills as well as the perception skill it's already trained in, so you can have a sneaky snake.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Zerilan posted:

It's a pretty egregious case of an entire archetype of a weaker class being no better than a single spell from a better class.

To clarify this point. My Ancient Halfling Pally just hit 5 and took Find Steed.

Now I have a golden fey badger that carries me into battle and can telepathically alert me if a bunch of assholes are about to attack the tavern I'm drinking in.

The next day I prepped another spell. Paladins can beat Beastmasters at getting pets and then immediately retake an armor buff or something.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Since we're talking about the Ranger right now, what are your thoughts on the Monster Slayer archetype from Xanathar's Guide?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

King of Solomon posted:

Since we're talking about the Ranger right now, what are your thoughts on the Monster Slayer archetype from Xanathar's Guide?

It's pretty good at its job, free counterspelling is never bad, finding weaknesses and so on is good, bonus damage. But it's a bit niche compared to the other two xanathars classes since it's bonus spells aren't as broadly useful, and the high level abilities aren't going to do much against many encounters. Still probably on par with Hunter from the phb at the worst, maybe a bit stronger overall.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Some of their things are nice, and they're clearly designed with taking on bosses in mind.

Which is kind of their flaw sadly. If you're ever fighting something other than just one big enemy, their abilities are a bit meh. Also you'd think Slayer's Prey would scale with levels, but no it's d6 extra damage at Level 3, and all the way to 20.

EDIT: Oh I misread Slayer's Prey, it's better than I thought it was. Never mind :v:

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 7, 2018

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Kaysette posted:

https://twitter.com/paizo/status/971145934036856833

Really looking forward to seeing how similar to 5e this ends up being.

I'm guessing not very. Stafinder is probably going to be more indicative of the direction they'll be going with Pathfinder 2e.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Is Starfinder good good or Pathfinder good?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Razorwired posted:

Is Starfinder good good or Pathfinder good?
Starfinder is bad. And I like Pathfinder.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Starfinder seems real cool conceptually and flavor wise but I've got nothing on the mechanics.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mango sentinel posted:

Starfinder seems real cool conceptually and flavor wise but I've got nothing on the mechanics.
I didn't know you were a Paizo dev!

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
It feels like a convoluted version of Pathfinder. The starship combat isn't amazing or anything, and has a lot of the same problems as just about every sci fi RPG ever in that regard.

I love the setting, though. There's some really interesting world-building things there, imo. I just wish the game system were better.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Starfinder streamlines Pathfinder in some ways, such as making flat-footed AC just -2, rather than factoring in the various AC elements differently. It doesn't even come close to the streamlining of 5e, and adds some pointless complexity in other ares. Starship combat is cute but gets boring quickly, the weapons aren't balanced well, and skill checks get harder as you level up because they increase at double the rate at which you level up. Weapons are now a laundry list of same-y weapons. There's some cool stuff in there, but it's buried under junk mechanics, and doesn't have the benefit of the breadth of content that Pathfinder has.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mango sentinel posted:

What do you like about the concepts and flavour? They didn't land with me, but I might have been missing an angle.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
$30 for a playtest book, seems legit.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

The Gate posted:

$30 for a playtest book, seems legit.
You can pay $60 if you really love giving Paizo money though.

And believe you me, people loooooove giving Paizo money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Taking a page out of Steam's early access... hell yeah I will pay you to play test your product for you.

At least you get the full product when it is out of EA on Steam this seems super lame (haha I kid... poo poo leaves EA maybe 1 in 1000).