Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Radish posted:

Haha you knew when they were talking about winning the monsters over with the power of love they were going to get brutally killed. Oh Sweet Mask.

Yeah, it was obvious how that ended. But for a moment I genuinely thought "oh, maybe he's not such a terrible person". How wrong I was. This could've been a peaceful victory, but no, everyone dies for getting in his way. Typical Handsome Mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Well they were monsters trying to murder him

Sweet Mask did nothing wrong

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The worst thing Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask has done is murder beings who were trying to surrender but they did just try to genocide Earth

pretty good dude all around imo

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
He's a piece of poo poo. gently caress him.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Expect My Mom posted:

The worst thing Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask has done is murder beings who were trying to surrender but they did just try to genocide Earth

pretty good dude all around imo

There are few things as cowardly as killing someone who is surrendering.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
There are few things as bad as helping genocide a planet

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Saitama killed that mole person that was running away. In Onepunchman society there is no ethical problem with killing a monster. I'm surprised the House of Evolution Gorilla guy made it out alive frankly.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It was their bosses who did that, they were just workers trying to make a living flying a spaceship around.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

In the end they still knowingly helped a guy perform genocide after genocide.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NZvL6ndJIU&t=22s

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

In the end they still knowingly helped a guy perform genocide after genocide.

I feel we're drifting very seamlessly into :godwin: right now.

Are there courts that punish monsters according to the letter of the law or is it vigilantism and mob lynchings all the way down?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

And More posted:

I feel we're drifting very seamlessly into :godwin: right now.

Are there courts that punish monsters according to the letter of the law or is it vigilantism and mob lynchings all the way down?
To be fair, I never said anything specific about Hitler or Nazis.

And one chapter said that captured monsters get experimented on, we specifically saw that lizard man King scared off being put on a bus full of weaker monsters to go to a lab or something.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the hero association is a regimented yet murderous self defense squad, we've crossed moral lines a long time

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That one swordsman revealed he ate the monster cell and became a monster and it was basically like the end of Robocop where the bad guy is fired giving Murphy the legal authority to kill him immediately. In this comic if you are a monster or become one you have no rights whatsoever.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I mean to be fair, aside from Armored Gorilla and the lizard guy (who I recall just wanted to lick people), every single monster in the series has had massive homicidal or even genocidal tendencies. Either killing innocents or brutally assaulting people for fun, or wanting to destroy the entire human race because they don't treat Earth right or whatever.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I mean to be fair, aside from Armored Gorilla and the lizard guy (who I recall just wanted to lick people), every single monster in the series has had massive homicidal or even genocidal tendencies. Either killing innocents or brutally assaulting people for fun, or wanting to destroy the entire human race because they don't treat Earth right or whatever.

It's kind of impossible to realise the error of your ways when you're instantly annihilated. As Garou has shown, some monsters have noble goals. They just go about it the wrong way.

How threatened do you really feel by the Subterraneans, for example? Sure, they're genocidal, but c'mon:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

"It's Amai Mask aka Sweet Kamen."

I feel like I'm being trolled just by reading this line.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Mask's name is incredibly weird, not really in translation but just as a weird name with like four parts, which is fitting for this glamour boy. It's not very subtle

イケメン仮面アマイマスク Ikemen Kamen Amai Masuku.

(this could all be totally wrong) Ikemen is a word used to describe men who who are more femininely beautiful, specifically those that are in the media, bishonen doesn't occupy the same meaning. Mask himself would definiently be called an Ikemen. Kamen is Mask, duh. Amai means sweet, and Masuku is written in katakana to act as the English word, to sorta double up on Masks and tell us that this isn't a good dude obviously.

I have no idea why you'd call him Amai Mask at all, Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask is a good name imo

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 6, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I like how once he really gets into the fight, his eyes go bloodshot, the blood vessels in his face start to protrude grotesquely, and he just generally looks unpleasant. (I'm looking at the bottom right panel of page 10, specifically.)

It kind of makes all of his good looks seem, like, I dunno, like maybe some kind of facade.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hmm, no, you're reading too much into it, he's just a nice handsome dude.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
About captured monsters:(mild webcomic spoilers) there are special prisons for them.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Schwarzwald posted:

It kind of makes all of his good looks seem, like, I dunno, like maybe some kind of facade.

But what's behind the hero mask that's behind the idol mask that he's wearing!?

Is it just more masks!?!

Man is like an onion. Layers. So many layers.

NO NOT LIKE CAKES OR PARFAITS!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

And More posted:

It's kind of impossible to realise the error of your ways when you're instantly annihilated. As Garou has shown, some monsters have noble goals. They just go about it the wrong way.

How threatened do you really feel by the Subterraneans, for example? Sure, they're genocidal, but c'mon:

garou isn't actually a monster he's just upset with the status quo. actual monstrification if we go by genius's speech happens when a person is filled with negitive emotions or is unable to attain satisfaction with life as a human.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Elfgames posted:

garou isn't actually a monster he's just upset with the status quo. actual monstrification if we go by genius's speech happens when a person is filled with negitive emotions or is unable to attain satisfaction with life as a human.

Actually, he knows about four different ways to become a monster:

quote:

When a human transforms into a monster, it is caused by an abnormal cell reaction triggered by an explosion of negative emotions. These often stem from unsatisfied needs or the desire to change into someone else, particularly in those prone to vices or with an inferiority complex. There are also those whose cell mutations are triggered by environmental factors, as well as those like my research specimens who become strong monsters through the power of science. In addition, there are many cases where non-human lifeforms are transformed into monsters as a result of pollution and other factors.

I think Garou definitely has some intense negative emotions, and they're allowing him to go past his limits.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Garou's not a monster yet, though, because he's still able to feel the need to protect that child. His mind hasn't turned purely to destruction, only the dismantling of the Heroes' Association. So he might be an enemy, and a powerful one at that, who's on the brink of becoming a monster at probably the slightest push, but I don't think he qualifies yet.

Besides, he hasn't transformed away from human yet.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SpacePig posted:

Garou's not a monster yet, though, because he's still able to feel the need to protect that child. His mind hasn't turned purely to destruction, only the dismantling of the Heroes' Association. So he might be an enemy, and a powerful one at that, who's on the brink of becoming a monster at probably the slightest push, but I don't think he qualifies yet.

Besides, he hasn't transformed away from human yet.

There are several people who have transformed themselves or been transformed, becoming far stronger than ordinary humans, but have not gone on to kill people.

That's most of the heroes.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sweet Mask is like everything Garou is fighting against with regards to heroes and the only question that matters is, when is he getting one punched?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Love the design of the monsters, especially the little blobfish guy :allears:.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Watched a few episodes of the anime with my wife yesterday. Her past experience with anime has been sailor Moon and Ghibli stuff, but she was interested because the animation quality was good. She was hooked from the first time Saitama punched a guy. She just had one question: "how did he get so strong!?"

Watched the house of evolution episode where he explains it. Had to pause it because she was crying laughing. She later dreamed up a new episode in her sleep.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Dog Kisser posted:

Watched a few episodes of the anime with my wife yesterday. Her past experience with anime has been sailor Moon and Ghibli stuff, but she was interested because the animation quality was good. She was hooked from the first time Saitama punched a guy. She just had one question: "how did he get so strong!?"

Watched the house of evolution episode where he explains it. Had to pause it because she was crying laughing. She later dreamed up a new episode in her sleep.

That's sweet! Watch Mob Psycho 100 when you're finished with OPM.

Regarding Sweet Mask, there's an audio drama where he gets stage fright and Saitama manages to give him some confidence (though Sweet Mask doesn't know it's Saitama). There's also some webcomic developments that are very interesting and I'd like to see what manga-only readers think of those.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

And More posted:

Actually, he knows about four different ways to become a monster:

I think Garou definitely has some intense negative emotions, and they're allowing him to go past his limits.

i mean most of his emotions are generally pretty positive and yeah i'd say the little monster dude's idea is to beat garou down and make him transform but if you look at where we get the garou flash during the explanation it was at the part where he describes someone trying to break the limits breaking their body instead.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Shindragon posted:

He's a piece of poo poo. gently caress him.

You're just mad cause all the girls swoon over him :allears:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Parrotine posted:

You're just mad cause all the girls swoon over him :allears:

Oh im sorry
I was just thinking about Sweet Mask

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
At the start when Garou was introduced, I found him boring and 2D but the more we get of him the more I realise he's more than a lovely anti-hero.

My prediction is that he's going to hit Saitama power level by pushing past his limit. What he does with that power will be interesting!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I liked Garou since his introduction just because of his hair.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I liked Garou because because his first fight was with metal bat, and he actually pushed Metal bat further than usual and we got to see some true bacho spirit from him.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

SpacePig posted:

I liked Garou because because his first fight was with metal bat, and he actually pushed Metal bat further than usual and we got to see some true bacho spirit from him.

Garou's first fight was with 3 A-class and a bunch of convicts.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

skaianDestiny posted:

Garou's first fight was with 3 A-class and a bunch of convicts.

His first real fight, I guess then.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Garou is strong and my friend

The fact that he's only attacking heroes makes him seem far less evil. He's also leaving them all alive...

A monster would attack civilians as well and leave no one alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Fartbox posted:

Garou is strong and my friend

The fact that he's only attacking heroes makes him seem far less evil. He's also leaving them all alive...

A monster would attack civilians as well and leave no one alive

Garou is doing the equivalent of punching out cops when there's a terrorist attack happening. Yeah sure, at least he's not punching out civilians, but distracting Metal Bat is what enabled the rich kid to get kidnapped in the first place, and if he somehow managed to take out Watchdog Man, who is pretty much City Q's only line of defense, an entire city would be destroyed by the obscene amount of monsters that assault it daily.

Sure he's not as evil as the literal child killing monster, but Garou's not exactly good either. He's trying to have his "monster" cake and eat it too by "only" crippling heroes, who are society's primary defense against genocidal monsters.