Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I also think there may have been rules in DH1 too, but for sure DH2. I am in a game with a player who is a blank, so it is there. I think they are even in the core book, but I'd have to check st home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Werix posted:

I also think there may have been rules in DH1 too, but for sure DH2. I am in a game with a player who is a blank, so it is there. I think they are even in the core book, but I'd have to check st home.

Is there a difference between a blank and a null?

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

JcDent posted:

Is there a difference between a blank and a null?

I’m pretty sure blanks, nulls, and untouchables are all just different names for the same thing, a soulless anti Warp guy.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Blackunknown posted:

I’m pretty sure blanks, nulls, and untouchables are all just different names for the same thing, a soulless anti Warp guy.

Basically this. Pariah was similar, but have been retconed away. They used to be blanks due to the fact Necron seeded them in the human population. Then whenever Necrons invaded human worlds the pariahs would activate and become Necron units.

But when they went to Newcrons they removed the pariahs.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Azhais posted:

It's also in one of the rogue trader add-on rulebooks, I forget which one. Don't recall seeing them in only war or deathwatch

I think it's in the Navis Primer, given that it's the psyker/navigator splatbook for RT. Said book also includes Weirdboyz as well.

Basically, there are two flavors of them in RT. There's one that disrupts psyker powers (I think it reduces Psy Rating by its power number (i.e., 1, 2, 3, etc.), causing them to fizzle if they're forced below 1) and one that completely shuts them down (they simply don't work anywhere near them and psyker powers that directly affect them will always fail). Both have to be taken at Character Creation and you must use your starting XP spend to buy them.

Although I don't think there's a rule specifically outlining Fellowship penalties for them, at bare minimum you should assess a -10 Fel penalty to all interactions involving the blank increased to -20 or more if said interaction involves a psyker. Regular people find Blanks/Nulls to be completely off-putting, and psykers consider them nothing short of horrifying. Additionally, I don't think Navigators willingly look at them with their Third Eye.

In-game, having a Blank/Null around can cheese the poo poo out of anything that uses psyker powers. So be careful when allowing a player to be one, because they will dumpster every enemy psyker you fight and psykers are usually a good force multiplier for enemy encounters.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 5, 2018

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Alternatively, an rt can just carry a null rod with them.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

LuiCypher posted:

In-game, having a Blank/Null around can cheese the poo poo out of anything that uses psyker powers. So be careful when allowing a player to be one, because they will dumpster every enemy psyker you fight and psykers are usually a good force multiplier for enemy encounters.

On the other hand, it is hilarious to have one when the party has a psyker. Especially if the group keeps getting into close quarters combat where the psyker is in the null range.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Or where the Eviscerator ninja Null charges into melee and shields all of the enemy mooks from easy incineration. Should have gone with a pistol build, I guess.

Are Nullifiers still a thing? Not in DH2, but I vaguely remember one of Ravenor' s goons had one.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

Or where the Eviscerator ninja Null charges into melee and shields all of the enemy mooks from easy incineration. Should have gone with a pistol build, I guess.

Are Nullifiers still a thing? Not in DH2, but I vaguely remember one of Ravenor' s goons had one.

Nullifiers: a null's brain in a box - because the mechanicus knows how to get poo poo done.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there currently a good way to run mixed groups of Imperial agencies, Mechanicus and Inquisitorial and Astartes characters all working together? I'd like to run a campaign that's a variation on the backstory of this ancient Black Library novel. To wit:

An Imperial crusade force en route to some distant war front gets caught in a terrible warp storm and is forced to make an emergency exit to realspace. The vagaries of the warp/connivance of the dark gods inexplicably translates the fleet directly into the gravity well of a habitable world, disastrously and irreparably damaging those vessels not already crippled by the storm. The fleet's various surviving elements are forced to make emergency and/or crash landings on this planet, a feudal world ruled openly by champions and sorcerers of chaos, rife with bizarre flora and fauna, and peopled by distant descendants of Imperial colonists cut off from the Imperium for millennia, many of them now whole-hearted worshipers of Chaos or degenerated into beastmen and other chaos mutantry. The campaign would start immediately after the crash landings, with the players taking on the roles of formerly low to mid-level personnel of the crusade suddenly thrust into positions of leadership because every higher link in the chain of command was cut off by the disaster. Suddenly a space marine sergeant is the senior astartes, an interrogator's the highest Inquisitorial operative left, etc. etc. The meat of the campaign would be a cross between survival and 4x strategy, with the players directing the survivors of the crusade to carve a perimeter of normalcy among the hostile chaos-worshiping empires of the feudal world, eventually building up to their leading the conquest of this lost world for the Imperium.

The question is, how do I do it? I know Black Crusade is built to run mixed groups of heretics, but this would be my first time running a 40k RPG and I don't feel up to reskinning a whole game i'm running as a beginner to make it work for an Imperial cast of characters.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

zeal posted:

Is there currently a good way to run mixed groups of Imperial agencies, Mechanicus and Inquisitorial and Astartes characters all working together? I'd like to run a campaign that's a variation on the backstory of this ancient Black Library novel. To wit:

An Imperial crusade force en route to some distant war front gets caught in a terrible warp storm and is forced to make an emergency exit to realspace. The vagaries of the warp/connivance of the dark gods inexplicably translates the fleet directly into the gravity well of a habitable world, disastrously and irreparably damaging those vessels not already crippled by the storm. The fleet's various surviving elements are forced to make emergency and/or crash landings on this planet, a feudal world ruled openly by champions and sorcerers of chaos, rife with bizarre flora and fauna, and peopled by distant descendants of Imperial colonists cut off from the Imperium for millennia, many of them now whole-hearted worshipers of Chaos or degenerated into beastmen and other chaos mutantry. The campaign would start immediately after the crash landings, with the players taking on the roles of formerly low to mid-level personnel of the crusade suddenly thrust into positions of leadership because every higher link in the chain of command was cut off by the disaster. Suddenly a space marine sergeant is the senior astartes, an interrogator's the highest Inquisitorial operative left, etc. etc. The meat of the campaign would be a cross between survival and 4x strategy, with the players directing the survivors of the crusade to carve a perimeter of normalcy among the hostile chaos-worshiping empires of the feudal world, eventually building up to their leading the conquest of this lost world for the Imperium.

The question is, how do I do it? I know Black Crusade is built to run mixed groups of heretics, but this would be my first time running a 40k RPG and I don't feel up to reskinning a whole game i'm running as a beginner to make it work for an Imperial cast of characters.

That sounds precisely like what they're shooting for with Wrath and Glory. Not sure that's releasing any time soon though.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
W&G is coming out in August, with a quickstart kit supposedly to be made available on Free RPG Day in June. Even so I don't know if it's going to allow for full-fledged Astartes to be played alongside lesser characters.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

MMAgCh posted:

W&G is coming out in August, with a quickstart kit supposedly to be made available on Free RPG Day in June. Even so I don't know if it's going to allow for full-fledged Astartes to be played alongside lesser characters.

The designers have outright stated that you'll be able to do this. There's a five-tier system of play, with Tactical Marines clocking in at Tier 3.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Yeah, you're right. Source, if anybody else is curious.

It'll be interesting to see how that plays out in practice, then. Seems like it'd be a balancing nightmare.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
from a brief glance at Wrath & Glory stuff it sounds like what I want to run is a Tier 4 campaign

so i guess i'm waiting till summer to pull the trigger on my little scheme

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Your game sounds potentially very political for what is likely to be primarily a crunchy combat system.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Late summer. I think they said they were going to launch Wrath and Glory at Gen Con this year, which is the first weekend in August. Don't know if that means they'll do a world wide release, or available exclusively at Gen Con kind of deal.

As for the existing systems, if you go back even to Black Crusade, they contained rules on how to play the game with characters from other game systems. Essentially you could take a dark heresy 1 character, and give them like 12K exp and they'd, in theory, be as strong as a starting deathwatch marine.

Black Crusade manages the Marine/Heretic balance by giving heretics more EXP at the start, and a little guidance on what to do in combats. They say you should reserve hordes for marines, and special characters for your heretics, but it doesn't always work that way in practice.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

goatface posted:

Your game sounds potentially very political for what is likely to be primarily a crunchy combat system.

i dunno, i've literally not looked at anything for Wrath & Glory until today

i'd assume anything at tier 4+ will involve a certain amount of political/macro-scale combat stuff though, just from how the Imperium works, if Tier 3 is Tactical Marines

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Black Crusade actually goes so far as to suggest that in a horde combat the horde shouldn't target mortal heretics at all, because the marines are bigger and scarier targets.

e:\/That's a limiter, and it exists because it's hard to write books about psykers and untouchables without having to worry their relative positions all the time, which is why we usually handwave where your untouchable is.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 6, 2018

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

goatface posted:

Politics is the continuation of war by other means.

chin up everything sucks posted:

Nullifiers: a null's brain in a box - because the mechanicus knows how to get poo poo done.
I would have expected more of a selective breeding or cloning program, something Biologis.
But, I mean the device that blocks the Null's special abilities so that they can socialize like a weird goon instead of a supernaturally creepy one.
Though that kind of implies that there's an easy way to cancel out their abilities, though, which makes the whole deal kind of pointless.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Rockopolis posted:

Politics is the continuation of war by other means.

I would have expected more of a selective breeding or cloning program, something Biologis.
But, I mean the device that blocks the Null's special abilities so that they can socialize like a weird goon instead of a supernaturally creepy one.
Though that kind of implies that there's an easy way to cancel out their abilities, though, which makes the whole deal kind of pointless.

Doesn't the Culexus helmet-gun rig that helps focus their power into a beam weapon also serve to dampen their creepiness aura so they can infiltrate sites without every guard simultaneously getting chills down their spine, or whatever?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

A Space Marine Tac sarge is a dude with already with hundreds of years of potential experience of going through the scout-assault-devastator gauntlet, and then added the experience needed to become a Tac sarge. He'd rise to the occasion.

The squishier mortals, well...

I don't know how much politics you have on a conquest of a corrupted planet, as every native is considered a heretic and anyone disagreeing to shoot them is automatically a double heretic.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

But if you can get them to shoot each other... :hist101:

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
You can crib heavily from Battlestar Galactica too. Resource shortages. Officers/officials with real ranks equal or Superior to your field promoted ranks coming in expecting to be in charge or taking charge and loving up royally. Scheming with the commissariat or inquisition to have influential but unhelpful folks discredited, gotten rid of, or brought into your camp.

Plenty of opportunities. Getting multiple imperial bodies to coordinate is already fairly political to start with.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

JcDent posted:

I don't know how much politics you have on a conquest of a corrupted planet, as every native is considered a heretic and anyone disagreeing to shoot them is automatically a double heretic.

Well, one of the elements of the campaign world will be that not all of the inhabitants have fallen to chaos, though they're enslaved by sorcerers and chaos champions. Within the lowest dregs of the chaos empires' societies there are still preachers of the Imperial Faith, though after multiple thousands of years without Imperial contact their divergences from mainstream dogma will almost certainly still get them labeled heretics by any particularly puritanical Ministorum or Inquisition characters. One of the big challenges of the campaign will be that though a certain amount of materiel survived the crash, there aren't nearly enough actual people left in the crusade force to undertake, say, the military occupation of a continent-spanning area, even assuming a successful conquest. The players will have to find some way to make use of local human resources, but the threat of traitors and heretics lurking among the liberated populations will be ever-present and the chief earl-mid campaign challenge of any Inquisitorial, Ministorum and Commissariat players.

Felime posted:

You can crib heavily from Battlestar Galactica too. Resource shortages. Officers/officials with real ranks equal or Superior to your field promoted ranks coming in expecting to be in charge or taking charge and loving up royally. Scheming with the commissariat or inquisition to have influential but unhelpful folks discredited, gotten rid of, or brought into your camp.

Plenty of opportunities. Getting multiple imperial bodies to coordinate is already fairly political to start with.

The resource shortage element will be key. Though the players will have their normal appropriate starting gear, the Mechanicus ark and tender-ships that were meant to provide the crusade a mobile supply source were as wrecked as the rest of the fleet. What assets actually survive the crash landing will depend on party composition--if there's a Sororitas character then one good hard piece of intelligence the group will start the game with is coordinates to the controlled crash site of a Sororitas convent-frigate, with survivors and stores intact inside, but besieged by hordes of mutants led by possessed chieftains drawn to the spiritual aura of the Sisters and the relics they defend, that sort of thing. The first and foremost goal of any Mechanicus characters will be to establish some kind of industrial base to manufacture bolts and flak jackets, refine local promethium to keep the crusade's surviving motorpool rolling, etc. I want a major element of the campaign to be the question of how the crusade compensates for the steady decay of its technological superiority versus the supernaturally potent but technically primitive Chaos empires of the game world. There may come a point where the surviving astartes just can't power their armor anymore, and have to trade in their ceramite for carapace armor until the tech priests figure something out.

Regarding higher-ups trying to take charge, that's one element of Imperial intrigue the players won't have to deal with: the warp storm that wrecked their fleet in the first place still rages around the system they're now stranded in, cutting off both safe transit from outside and astropathic communication with the wider Imperium. It could be years before anyone in a position to do something about it in the Imperial hierarchy notices the crusade's gone missing, and the warp storm will not end within a human lifetime barring some extreme accomplishment in the campaign, like banishing or imprisoning the daemon prince who set this drama in motion in the first place. So nobody's going to come in and try to steal the show back from the player characters, but they have no hope of timely reinforcement. I want them to feel truly cut off from all sources of outside aid, completely surrounded by the direst enemies, with no options but to conquer, die, or surrender to the dark gods. Should be fun!

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 6, 2018

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I meant more like some marooned officer surviving in an escape pod or something. Is a higher ranking, superfanatical sororitas on the crashed convent ship who threatens to overturn the balance between forces the PC's have forged? It works best when it's a single episode sort of thing with the higher up as an antagonist who ends up defeated or sacrificing and redeeming themselves to fight a greater challenge. (Aka the gm fiat backup plan to put the players back in charge)

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Keep it more covert and it'd sound like reverse XCOM.
You definitely want them on the planet and stuck in, right? Not doing the UFO thing to the planet to loot resources and abduct conscripts to keep their decaying hulk of a mothership functioning as they work on overthrowing the kingdoms with the occasional terror mission?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
The UFO thing would probably be hard to pull off, as any Imperial ship likely carries sufficient firepower to devastate the planet, if not sterilize it completely. Calling in rods from the God-Emperor, while satisfying and dramatic, would probably trivialize heretic armies and strongholds unless there were some reason not to use overwhelming firepower.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

You don't a need to give them a ship, a Thunderhawk, Aquilla lander or an Arvus will do.

Space Marines in Arvused dropping barrel bombs on heretics

Now that's what I call 'Steel Rain'

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think at game start the only operable flying machines in the crusade arsenal would be things like land speeders or at most a Valkyrie or Vendetta. Getting something on the scale of a Thunderhawk or even a Stormraven running would be the culmination of a story, equivalent to getting the airship in a Final Fantasy game, and a major in-character achievement for any Techmarine or Mechanicus characters. Consider the options one of those would provide against enemy forces not normally capable of moving faster than their own feet or their beasts of burden allow. Of course, if the lords of the enemy Chaos factions learn such a beast is up and flying again, they're going to get their thrall wizards together to summon something approximately capable of handling it, however many sacrificed slaves it takes.

The endgame of all this would probably be an intervention out of the warp by an actual traitor marine warband, to finally give the chaos forces some assets technologically equal to the best on the Imperial side. Up till then, the only heretic astartes the players are likely to meet are lone examples who've set themselves up as petty god-kings on the game world, or at most a squad-sized group of the same working together to rule a significant terrestrial empire.

e: If the player group did manage to get a void-capable craft like a Thunderhawk going again, at that point offworld missions to answer distress calls from crusade elements trapped on other astral bodies of the system, or held in orbit above the same, would definitely be on the menu, and one of the few ways the players will be able to get fresh supplies and reinforcements without creating and training those themselves.

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 6, 2018

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Ah yeah, I was thinking more like shuttles and stuff to a crippled ship in orbit or crashed on the moon or something. It'd be a secure base, but hosed if you lost too many shuttles to wizards or archers or Berzerkers with javelins or whatever.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rockopolis posted:

Ah yeah, I was thinking more like shuttles and stuff to a crippled ship in orbit or crashed on the moon or something. It'd be a secure base, but hosed if you lost too many shuttles to wizards or archers or Berzerkers with javelins or whatever.

chaos ogres with ballista-sized longbows

e:one of the chaos empires will definitely go to the trouble to wake the dragon ogres if the imperials start making real headway

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 6, 2018

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Catapult launched AA Berserkers.

Edit:
Are you just crashing them into the Warhammer fantasy world?

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

On the way in, one of their ships smashes into a tiny, primitive spacecraft with no detectable warp drive that contained only a few surprisingly-large rats.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rockopolis posted:

Catapult launched AA Berserkers.

Edit:
Are you just crashing them into the Warhammer fantasy world?

nah, there won't be any xenos involvement aside from maybe a comedy appearance by Trazyn the Infinite, and the Chaos empires that rule the world will be mostly bronze- and iron-working societies, with maybe one Tzeentch-aspected empire advanced to the point of using crude firearms and practicing more advanced metallurgy/agriculture/etc. I will definitely be culling the coolest bits of Fantasy Chaos though, and Dragon Ogres are my favorite of that

i mean, who doesn't want to see a leman russ vanquisher put an anti-tank round through a shaggoth

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Hremsfeld posted:

On the way in, one of their ships smashes into a tiny, primitive spacecraft with no detectable warp drive that contained only a few surprisingly-large rats.

Worse, they're near a hive world and all the large rats on the ship were holding short straws.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Doesn't the Culexus helmet-gun rig that helps focus their power into a beam weapon also serve to dampen their creepiness aura so they can infiltrate sites without every guard simultaneously getting chills down their spine, or whatever?

Oh no, quite the opposite. It amps it up so much that the broadcasted effect affects so many people with vague unease that you can't pinpoint the assassin. Entire hab-blocks getting creeped out for no discernible reason. Normal people don't know Culexus exist after all.

JcDent posted:

A Space Marine Tac sarge is a dude with already with hundreds of years of potential experience of going through the scout-assault-devastator gauntlet, and then added the experience needed to become a Tac sarge. He'd rise to the occasion.

The squishier mortals, well...

Well, they're only heretics because nobody brought them the Emperor's Word. Are the blood thirsty but mostly non-Khornate warriors better or worse allies than the nomads whose "horses" can run up walls?

Most chaos worshippers outside the Empire are completely redeemable, the Imperium just doesn't bother. Even mutants and abhumans can be loyal Imperial citizens.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Monthly newsletter/dev diary is out, and all it pretty much says is that the default setting is the Imperium Nihilus - the side of the Imperium that's cut off from Terra via the Great Rift. The idea is that the desperate circumstances on the hosed Side of the galaxy force people who wouldn't normally work together to do so, which is the justification for how your weird array of PCs grouped up.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Wait. There's a non-hosed side of the galaxy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

sullat posted:

Wait. There's a non-hosed side of the galaxy?

Yeah, Gulliman is fixing everything on the Terra side. You're not on that side.