Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bennyfranks
Jun 23, 2005

IGNORE ME!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Sales are bad. Noone should support sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I support sales taxes, but only on Juiceros and other products designed exclusively for rich idiots.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Sales tax should be pre-calculated into the shelf price.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

succ zone invents the VAT tax

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ThndrShk2k posted:

Yes.

e: I'd like to get rid of it but putting it in the price is an ideal half measure.

super sweet best pal has issued a correction as of 18:22 on Mar 7, 2018

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
sales taxes should not be calculated at all

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nationalize housing while we're at it

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Shelf price should add 1 cent and be honest with folks

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/971419841038036992

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i wonder if she pulled a rob morrow and made sure to get her name first on the ballot

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

I'm the sixty minutes guy who gets mad that people don't fly kites anymore or whatever, and that $9.99 price is a lie

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chucktesla posted:

I'm the sixty minutes guy who gets mad that people don't fly kites anymore or whatever, and that $9.99 price is a lie

andy rooney is good actually

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

she seems good

https://electmarywilson.com/issues

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Feldegast42 posted:

Who is that favorite? How is the Iowa gubernatorial / congress races shaping up?

Fred Hubbel, who is a wealthy businessman running on "I'm a wealthy businessman, but I support planned parenthood." It's a 7-way gov race and the state party delegates will decide the candidate if none of them gets above 35% of the vote in the primary. I know the congressional races in IA-2 and 3 each have multiple candidates competing in the primary at varying levels of acceptability. IA-1 has Loebsack as the incumbent and no primary challengers that I know of, and hes become pretty disappointing of late. Being in the 10 or so congressman to vote to proceed with budget negotiations without addressing DACA the first time, and then doubling down on that later.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

she's a candidate about nothing Jerry

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i care

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Frijolero posted:

she's a candidate about nothing Jerry

saying she wants separation of church and state is more than most dems put on their nothing pages i assume. i don't normally look at them

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

ThndrShk2k posted:

The first time I went to the US I was really confused when I tried to buy something and it was more expensive than the sticker price

This is more barbaric than the lack of healthcare frankly

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jose posted:

saying she wants separation of church and state is more than most dems put on their nothing pages i assume. i don't normally look at them

Honestly my main reaction to seeing that was "wow politics in Texas is super different from how it is in MA"

Here the issues pages look like this

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
interestingly, the DCCC endorsed candidate in TX-21 says he'll endorse the Medicare for All bill

https://kopserforcongress.com/my-values/health-care-for-all/

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
the issues page on Bernie's Senate campaign site is not lacking in details

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Joementum posted:

the issues page on Bernie's Senate campaign site is not lacking in details

looks like SOMEONE is gearing up for the crucial 2020 guam caucus

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Taintrunner posted:

Nationalize housing while we're at it

I want the nice house on the lake thanks

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nationalizing housing seems to me to be a really tricky thing to do since housing is so inherently wildly unequal, but it's possible it just hasn't been explained well enough to me yet

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Nationalize tiny houses

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Dick Wolf lost to this candidate

(∪ฅTωT)ฅ
       ╰⋃╯

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Ruzihm posted:

Dick Wolf lost to this candidate

(∪ฅTωT)ฅ
       ╰⋃╯

texas just wasn't ready for an unemployed 20 something who lives with his parents

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

loquacius posted:

Nationalizing housing seems to me to be a really tricky thing to do since housing is so inherently wildly unequal, but it's possible it just hasn't been explained well enough to me yet

the problem right now as taken from the guillotine thread is landlords have an interpersonal tyrant’s power over their rentiers that allows an insurmountable range of abuses to manifest, from outright theft of personal property to not installing separate meters so the tenant is forced to pay the landlord’s utilities

homelessness is surging from coast to coast and is already a full blown crisis in cities like New York and San Francisco, where 75% of homeless people used to have a home. New York alone has numbers from 60,000 to 100,000 homeless, and a tenth of the public schoolchildren are homeless

all the while home buying is entirely automated as the finance class works to turn entire generations into lifelong renters. it’s an incredibly unsustainable system of depreciating standards of living that exists solely as an ever increasing wealth transfer from the poor and middle class to the rich. it’s criminal and a transitionary period of wiping the slate clean and gutting the rent seekers tyranny needs to take place before setting down incredibly strict regulations on home ownership, as people should have a piece of land to say is their’s and no one else’s to lord over them, as that stability is what has gone missing in modern America’s nightmarish hell where over half the country is wiped out by a $1000 emergency

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

the problem right now as taken from the guillotine thread is landlords have an interpersonal tyrant’s power over their rentiers that allows an insurmountable range of abuses to manifest, from outright theft of personal property to not installing separate meters so the tenant is forced to pay the landlord’s utilities

homelessness is surging from coast to coast and is already a full blown crisis in cities like New York and San Francisco, where 75% of homeless people used to have a home. New York alone has numbers from 60,000 to 100,000 homeless, and a tenth of the public schoolchildren are homeless

all the while home buying is entirely automated as the finance class works to turn entire generations into lifelong renters. it’s an incredibly unsustainable system of depreciating standards of living that exists solely as an ever increasing wealth transfer from the poor and middle class to the rich. it’s criminal and a transitionary period of wiping the slate clean and gutting the rent seekers tyranny needs to take place before setting down incredibly strict regulations on home ownership, as people should have a piece of land to say is their’s and no one else’s to lord over them, as that stability is what has gone missing in modern America’s nightmarish hell where over half the country is wiped out by a $1000 emergency

While this is all very true I just don't know how nationalizing housing could really "work" in a way that is equitable for everyone

looks like this family of four is going to *rolls dice* this 60-year-old shack that needs $150,000 of repairs, and this family of four is going to *rolls dice* the house from Fresh Prince

also: death panels

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

loquacius posted:

While this is all very true I just don't know how nationalizing housing could really "work" in a way that is equitable for everyone

looks like this family of four is going to *rolls dice* this 60-year-old shack that needs $150,000 of repairs, and this family of four is going to *rolls dice* the house from Fresh Prince

probably section 8 style vouchers with a robust portfolio of publicly owned housing

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

loquacius posted:

social housing built by the government like council houses in the UK. you do have to stop a future neolib government from allowing people to buy them and then never build any more though

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

loquacius posted:

rent control + jacked up taxes on people who own more than 1 home, deflate the housing market and make owning multiple houses and non viable form of investment, basically deflating the housing market while providing subsidies/incentives for people who own 0 homes buying a home, seize large apartment complexes and transform them into public housing

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Jose posted:

social housing built by the government like council houses in the UK. you do have to stop a future neolib government from allowing people to buy them and then never build any more though

we tried this and it worked ok but we were too racist so we stopped entirely

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
there's a shitload of empty homes in the US because it's become a safe way of investing even if you're not renting them

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Ace of Baes posted:

there's a shitload of empty homes in the US because it's become a safe way of investing even if you're not renting them

This is actually a huuuuge problem in NYC, 95% of the new stuff built is empty because it lets rich people park their money.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

sales taxes but only on investments

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

nobody in power wants to admit the huge massive housing crisis is happening because they're all invested in making it worse

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Grondoth posted:

This is actually a huuuuge problem in NYC, 95% of the new stuff built is empty because it lets rich people park their money.

the extra fun part is that for decades the biggest buyers of property in western cities that then sits vacant have been russian and chinese oligarchs that among other ill effects made donald trump a billionaire and also in hock to them by buying his lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Grondoth posted:

Same in london and labour have said they'll populate them if they aren't used for living in when they're in power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

A major succ of Oregon politics is housing politics. Portland has a massive homeless population despite tons of new housing being built. Most of it sits empty as it is considered an investment vehicle where offering market rates would lower it's long-term value.

Pretty much all the house/senate Dems are landlords who talk about the need for affordable housing. Many of them push against the bills to lower moving costs for renters, improve renter protection, ban no-cause evictions, increase budgets for new affordable housing, etc in back channels to ensure their investment. They ultimately hide behind one or two 'moderate' democrats who believe in regulations will hurt 'supply'. Their solution is instead to build more housing that will sit empty because only a small selection of white tech bros can afford $2K+ rent/monthly mortgage for a fancy apartment/condo.

• Locked thread