Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Koburn posted:

This started over a week ago but I only just noticed it: https://www.humblebundle.com/books/image-expo-comics

Some very good stuff in there, any recommendations for the more obscure titles?

Curse Words is an amazing wizard's farcical adventures.
Monstress is just gorgeous fantasy adventure.

Shirtless Bear Fighter is also pantsless bear fighter early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nancy Drew from Kelly Thompson

https://www.themarysue.com/exclusive-nancy-drew-comic-dynamite-kelly-thompson-jenn-st-onge/

quote:

In the new series, Nancy Drew is seventeen and good at everything… especially solving crimes. But her totally-in-control-and-obviously-running-perfectly-smooth-(but-not-really) life hits a snag when a mysterious message drags her back to the hometown she left behind. There she’ll have to find out which of her friends are still her friends, which are enemies, and who exactly is trying to kill her…and (hopefully) stop them before they succeed. Nancy, the classic master teen mystery-cracker, will be shown in a way you’ve never seen before, by a creative team with a huge respect for the original tales, and what she could mean for a modern audience.
Love her Hawkeye, so... maybe!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Wow, I just got whiplash from going "oh lord another olde-tyme property given a cool modern update for the hip kids of today" to "girl detective from the writer of (Girl Detective) Hawkeye, I am 100% on board".

Hobo Grandpa
Aug 22, 2014

"Trigger" is my trigger word.
Anyone reading The Further Adventures of Nick Wilson?

I picked it up on a whim honestly because of the cover and the glowing Patton Oswalt recommendation.

I loved the first issue and haven't had a chance of picking up the second issue but I'm really loving the premise. He's such a glorious loser. His life seems absolutely mundane and he's living in his own shadow of his past glorydays.

Really curious to see where the series goes. Does anyone know of similar titles that takes the Superhero aspect out of a superhero story? I love the idea of a normal dude in a superworld.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Jesus Christ, Fantagraphics

I'll be the first to bemoan creative bankruptcy among most licensed properties, but rolling off a list of titles then transitioning to entire companies who've got good stuff on the shelves makes TCJ look like QVC.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Space Fish posted:

Jesus Christ, Fantagraphics

I'll be the first to bemoan creative bankruptcy among most licensed properties, but rolling off a list of titles then transitioning to entire companies who've got good stuff on the shelves makes TCJ look like QVC.

Serial medium sees a lot of repeats of previously used characters and franchises.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Eh. You don't really need anyone in Fantagraphics to be respectful of general commercial comics making.

e: Until it's, like 50 years old and can be packaged as an academic curiosity.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 4, 2018

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
His bigger thread about the Diamond “celebrating diversity” thing is interesting.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I only read the digital Previews list for the shipping thread and it's already gross with just the titles and covers. Apparently I'm missing all sorts of sexy book previews and ads from the printed version!

edit: I'd love to meet the folks who keep those alive.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 4, 2018

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Hobo Grandpa posted:

Really curious to see where the series goes. Does anyone know of similar titles that takes the Superhero aspect out of a superhero story? I love the idea of a normal dude in a superworld.

Brian Michael Bendis's Powers is the classic version of this. Detectives without powers (trying to) policing people with superpowers.

Kind of a police procedural.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

It'll almost definitely be good, but Kate Beaton will always by the definitive Nancy Drew writer to me.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Hobo Grandpa posted:

Astro City covers both heroes and normal city residents, but there's quite a lot of the latter and it's pretty great in general.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Teenage Fansub posted:

I only read the digital Previews list for the shipping thread and it's already gross with just the titles and covers. Apparently I'm missing all sorts of sexy book previews and ads from the printed version!

edit: I'd love to meet the folks who keep those alive.

Where can I buy Digital Previews? Last time I was on their site it kept giving me the run-around on how to actual purchase it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Buy?

https://www.previewsworld.com/NewReleases?releaseDate=03/07/2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bad news for Black Monday Murders readers.
https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/970763604092964864

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So are editors like, not a thing that exist? Or quality control?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

So are editors like, not a thing that exist? Or quality control?

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/970764932919824385

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Imagine that comic getting a fill-in artist.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012

That's such a shame he's wrapping it up in 12 issues. It feels like he's leaving so much material on the table.

This has easily been my favorite book. :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hail mammon

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Robot Danger posted:

That's such a shame he's wrapping it up in 12 issues. It feels like he's leaving so much material on the table.

This has easily been my favorite book. :(

To be fair, each issue is like 2-3 issues of a regular comic in length.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Yeah I guess there's little need to shell out for a digital replica of the print copy considering what they have online. Thanks.

Hobo Grandpa
Aug 22, 2014

"Trigger" is my trigger word.

foutre posted:

Brian Michael Bendis's Powers is the classic version of this. Detectives without powers (trying to) policing people with superpowers.

Kind of a police procedural.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Astro City covers both heroes and normal city residents, but there's quite a lot of the latter and it's pretty great in general.

I'll also check out Astro City, thanks.

I did end up picking up issue 2 of Further Adventures of Nick Wilson and it continues to delight.

On a totally different note, how about Maestros? I see it on the shelf all the time at my local shop and every time that cover artwork and the artwork inside draws me--super psychedelic. That said, I don't usually do fantasy stuff. Anyone have any feedback on this series? It looks like a trade paperback combining the first few issues isn't coming out until July.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Holy poo poo Comixology charged me to Uber Invasion #12! It's...coming out on time!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

IMPOSSIBLE

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Hobo Grandpa posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out.

I'll also check out Astro City, thanks.

I did end up picking up issue 2 of Further Adventures of Nick Wilson and it continues to delight.

On a totally different note, how about Maestros? I see it on the shelf all the time at my local shop and every time that cover artwork and the artwork inside draws me--super psychedelic. That said, I don't usually do fantasy stuff. Anyone have any feedback on this series? It looks like a trade paperback combining the first few issues isn't coming out until July.

Re Maestros ehhhh. Mixed bag. Seems gratuitously sexual or gorey in parts, in others the character stuff works and it's good, humour is hit and miss. Visuals are at least interestingly varied and it's far from traditional fantasy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CONFIRMED
https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/971385635733897216

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:vince:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
That issue of Uber was ominous, but things seem to be moving towards another big confrontation. Still have East of West and WicDiv to keep me entertained on the train tonight.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I enjoyed East of West this week, though it's probably to the point that I'll need to do a re-read again as I've forgotten a lot of what's been going on.

Gideon Falls is off to a good start, and I also enjoyed Doctor Star as far as other Jeff Lemire stuff goes.

Sad to see Extremity is done, but 12 issue was enough to tell the main story and it was pretty great while it lasted.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its like mega ominous. They're going to release the failed battleships.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also loving ANNANKE

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
uber and east of west were both good. east of west sometimes loses me because it kind of drags with vague writing which attempts to be ominous, but in this issue such material fit what was being told. art was above the already-high standards for the series, too. uber shows there's at least one more weird thing we're going to see which we can't really anticipate the effects of. i liked the reveal about siegfried's age, too - or was that more than hinted at in a previous issue? i've also wondered if sieglinde is healing slightly, given she can walk with a cane now. obviously her skin is still hosed up as hell. additionally, i wonder if what the sculptor is doing is the same as what maria did to fix her hand.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Hard to get too much of a read on Gideon Falls from the first issue but it's definitely Jeff Lemire which is very much a good thing.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hobo Grandpa posted:

It's super gory and sexual but if you can put up with that its pretty great. But as with a lot of these shorter series you're not going to get really developed characters. Most of the attraction is the art.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone reading Fighting American?

The introduction of him having a Trump Supporter, hillbilly "Make America Feared Again" grandson has a lot of potential, especially since Fighting American knows nothing of the last 50 years and is a patriot. Will he fall to it and become a terroist or reject this jingonism and prove himself a real fighting American?

Also, I find it funny how many people latched onto this as an "anti-SJW" comic for "REAL AMERICANS" when it's literally about to do an Anti-Trump storyline, judging from the sting at the last issue.

Covok fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 18, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/DarkHorseComics/status/977983490804330496

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Wait, when did the invisible teenage girl get forcefield powers in the movie?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
during the jungle fight sequence

e: wait she could do force fields way back in the dinner scene at the beginning too but she did the bubble for the first time during the jungle fight iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

site posted:

during the jungle fight sequence

e: wait she could do force fields way back in the dinner scene at the beginning too but she did the bubble for the first time during the jungle fight iirc

Oh okay. It's been a while, forgot she had that power.