Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orty
May 14, 2007

"The Fam" is the guild I was recommended by several people and have joined. While the name is dumb the people are decent and tend to grab replacements for groups through the guild first. Basically just a massive leveling guild. Also ran by a guy that advertises his twitch channel a little too much.

I have somehow hit level 46 already. Going to start getting what I can for epic and hope I can get people together for the kills. Running around with epic at this level would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Orty posted:

"The Fam" is the guild I was recommended by several people and have joined. While the name is dumb the people are decent and tend to grab replacements for groups through the guild first. Basically just a massive leveling guild. Also ran by a guy that advertises his twitch channel a little too much.

I have somehow hit level 46 already. Going to start getting what I can for epic and hope I can get people together for the kills. Running around with epic at this level would be amazing.

Lmao paparob!!

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Anyone have advice for what kind of armor/gear I need for level 15 mage and warrior?

I am on bristlebane just casually leveling up. I may start playing on the new time locked server but not sure I wanna pay monthly to play. I am currently in crescent reach.

Or any suggestions for an item that can be purchased either through the day break money stuff or with a chrono that would greatly improve leveling at lower levels?

Any suggestions, thanks!

Doctor Party fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 4, 2018

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
If you have nothing, do the tutorial zone, Gloomdeep Mines. You leave it with a full set of armor that can take you to your 50s, by which time you'll get ornate armor as drops to fill in any holes.

Your tank merc will do all the work for you for a long time.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Anyone have advice on fair price for swiftblade of zek and blade of carnage? I am on bristlebane. Obviously overkill for a level 23 warrior but I got a krono burning a hole in pocket haha.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
A tank merc is going to do most of your damage for a long time, it's probably not worth blowing tons of plat on low level-usable gear.

By the time you need good weapons you can probably get better ones for less plat. Unless you just really want those, I dunno.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Yeah I know what you are saying. I guess back when I played those were some of the best weapons. And still for this level would be pretty sweet. So it might be a waste. But going back to eq at this point is sort of all about the nostalgia. Like I still remember raiding kael haha. But as a cleric I never got to use those sweet weapons. It's been fun playing again. Definitely the same waste of time I remember haha. But mercs make the low levels so much easier it's ridiculous.

Does anyone have experience with the level 85 hero upgrade thing? How ready to play are those characters? I was thinking if I got into this making one just to have a different way to play. Like go check out raiding zones like kael and others. And just see how easy or hard it is to solo or molo those areas. Not sure what class I'd go with.

Doctor Party fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 5, 2018

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
I have an 85 heroic monk that I have no idea how to play and I can do all luclin and earlier bosses some PoP stuff (havent tried the EP bosses)

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Doctor Party posted:

Anyone have advice for what kind of armor/gear I need for level 15 mage and warrior?

I am on bristlebane just casually leveling up. I may start playing on the new time locked server but not sure I wanna pay monthly to play. I am currently in crescent reach.

Or any suggestions for an item that can be purchased either through the day break money stuff or with a chrono that would greatly improve leveling at lower levels?

Any suggestions, thanks!

Look for defiant gear in the bazaar. Search for gear usable at your level with "defiant" in the name. The gear is all named "xxx defiant breastplate/gloves/helmet" where xxx changes based on level tier. There are tiers all the way up to the 70s and they are usually dirt cheap in bazaar. Defiant should be the only gear you need for visible and weapons until 80. Also, do the Franklin Teak (pok) daily hotzone quests to get some of the non visible slot defiant. Defiant was added to buff solo characters because grouping at those levels does not happen organically through normal means anymore. Also grab mercs while you're at it. Even apprentice mercs can do some dps.

One in the Bum fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 5, 2018

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Doctor Party posted:

Yeah I know what you are saying. I guess back when I played those were some of the best weapons. And still for this level would be pretty sweet. So it might be a waste. But going back to eq at this point is sort of all about the nostalgia. Like I still remember raiding kael haha. But as a cleric I never got to use those sweet weapons. It's been fun playing again. Definitely the same waste of time I remember haha. But mercs make the low levels so much easier it's ridiculous.

Does anyone have experience with the level 85 hero upgrade thing? How ready to play are those characters? I was thinking if I got into this making one just to have a different way to play. Like go check out raiding zones like kael and others. And just see how easy or hard it is to solo or molo those areas. Not sure what class I'd go with.

Heroic chars are just fine out of the box. They have max aa for the level and okay gear as well as all spells. Google search "everquest how to heroic [class name]". Most classes have a guide written by the community that explains the basics from the standpoint of someone who knows nothing about the class.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
85 upgrade gives you relevant gear, all your spells, all your AAs so you're pretty set to go with it. It's pretty daunting to get a char with all that stuff and figure out how to play it, though old content will fall over easy enough with just a few buttons. You may or may not find the stuff you want up since ppl still kill it.

Also don't buy low level stuff other than defiant gear and then only buy like a weapon if you really need one and it costs less than 100pp. Defiant has different tiers that drop from any mob in the relevant lvl range and is better than anything else you can get up to level 70. Tank merc will handle all the heavy lifting for you until that point, too.

If you're just looking to dive back into EQ and can't figure out where to go I would break it down like this:

for Ye Olde Time Everqueste you have emulated servers (p1999, Shards of Dalaya, some others) and progression servers (Agnarr for perma-PoP, Coirnav in a few weeks for day one, Phinigel for slightly advanced from the WoW exodus). Lots of tedious stuff and tedious people but all your old knowledge is useful and little to no confusing new stuff.

if you want a nostalgia tour you can ride the merc and defiant train through 1-65 zones and do epics and whatever other old stuff without much effort or investment. For a shorter nostalgia trip you can make a heroic char and roll over all the same stuff even easier.

if you wanna check out some of the cool stuff they did during the middle period of the game that you probably know nothing about because you were playing other games you can roll a free box group on test and play video game archaeologist googling old rear end mission guides and solo exploring through stuff without any real server community, or do the same thing more slowly and expensively on live but with the chance to eventually hit max level and do meaningful stuff, or level up on Phinny and wait a while.

for the modern period of increasingly low effort copy/paste content you play on live with probably a heroic char and try to hit the level cap without whaling out too hard on Krono and boxes. You get to play with the cool stuff they've added to classes over time and you get a gear/exp treadmill reset every year to keep the grind going.

gnoma fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 5, 2018

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Are any of the old mobs instanced? Or is it all the normal respawn stuff with multiple people potentially trying to camp for them etc.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
They've instanced almost everything at this point. Just PoR left at this point for Phinny. Go talk to Agents of Change near where the zone in is. Some are obvious, some you'll probably have to ask for help to find.

Edit: that said, the open world ones are still there too. You get both for old poo poo.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Orty posted:

How does one go about getting an invite into The Fam? I have a level 11 rogue that I want to level up on Agnarr.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

FranktheBank posted:

I have an 85 heroic monk that I have no idea how to play and I can do all luclin and earlier bosses some PoP stuff (havent tried the EP bosses)

You can smack around anything Luclin and older. I'm pretty sure you can do all of PoP also as well, except when it's fabled season and they are actually a little hard. At level 90, definitely everything.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
Oh hey Givin, Tinzi / Akaze say hi.

Orty
May 14, 2007

I hit 56 on my rogue, so close to the end. I also managed to get most of my epic done. I just need to find a Kedge robe somehow. If anyone wants to kill phinny...

Gruknor posted:

How does one go about getting an invite into The Fam? I have a level 11 rogue that I want to level up on Agnarr.

Everyone in the guild has invite powers. Just hit up someone in the guild thats in the same zone and they can get you in.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Orty posted:

I hit 56 on my rogue, so close to the end. I also managed to get most of my epic done. I just need to find a Kedge robe somehow. If anyone wants to kill phinny...

Everyone in the guild has invite powers. Just hit up someone in the guild thats in the same zone and they can get you in.

Thank you, my rogues name is Friesnketchup. Congratulations on getting to 56 and almost done your rogue epic. I will try to be on around 8:40pm est.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
annnnnd Phinigel gets hosed in the last expansion they had to instance.

Only Theater of Blood is instanced as of the test patch. Wild Treasures will more than likely sit several spare groups on key mobs in Devastation, Sverag, or Relic to prevent OGC (and at the same time, anyone else) from being able to progress through raid instancing (they recently absorbed a large number of people from IVAS so will have the people on hand to do this).

Glad to see they've turned the already-worst expansion even worse...

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Test can get multiple patches though right? We're not completely hosed yet, right?

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
Prathun posted they ran out of time to make the other instances and will look at adding them in a future patch. They've posted before that the instances are actually take a lot of manpower to get done correctly, and with the clusterfuck of scripts going on in Devastation and Sverag, I doubt they'd be able to finish even if they dropped everything and did it now.

People have pointed out that even WT isn't going to be able to do in-force for every single target that you have to go after. That means something like EoE will get a piece, WT will get a couple of pieces, OGC will get a piece, and no one will be able to do poo poo until they respawn and then compete with each other for a specific target.

IIRC each thing drops 6-12 key pieces and you only need one person flagged. I wonder if its even conceivable to get some cooperation going between WT/OGC/EoE/etc to not make this completely loving horrible, but given WT's stance at hating Dima and everything he stands for I doubt it.

The only remote hope I have now is that DBG temporarily or otherwise relieves the problem by making the key mobs spawn more quickly than the 3 to 5 days they take now (like, maybe, on pick spawn), but even that is so unlikely to happen because of the quality of loot on two of the mobs (The "Bold Invader" in Sverag and Porthio in Relic) and because they've been adamant against doing that for mobs like the storms giants who dropped poo poo but had medallions.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I have a 42 ranger from Kunark days that I’m thinking of leveling up. AAs are entirely a mystery to me, and I haven’t spent time looking at the Ranger Class specific AAs yet. Mostly just wondering what big changes are expected of me prior to getting max level. Gearing isn’t an issue, I’m mostly just wondering how I should expect to be playing this class in leveling groups in this era. I’m currently using a Woodman’s Stave on him, but gear swapping is a non-issue if DW ends up always being better (Epic progress is pretty much at forage step complete, and no further). Should I continue to just level as a melee dps / puller / offtank, and worry about the bow wizard aspect after several AA points are spent?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

onesixtwo posted:

I have a 42 ranger from Kunark days that I’m thinking of leveling up. AAs are entirely a mystery to me, and I haven’t spent time looking at the Ranger Class specific AAs yet. Mostly just wondering what big changes are expected of me prior to getting max level. Gearing isn’t an issue, I’m mostly just wondering how I should expect to be playing this class in leveling groups in this era. I’m currently using a Woodman’s Stave on him, but gear swapping is a non-issue if DW ends up always being better (Epic progress is pretty much at forage step complete, and no further). Should I continue to just level as a melee dps / puller / offtank, and worry about the bow wizard aspect after several AA points are spent?

Don't worry about aaxp. Take Autogrant, it gives you all the AAs up to lvl 100 for free. DW and bow for different situations, never 2h unless chasing skill points for shits and giggles. Once you can start headshoting, leveling starts to fly. Headshot is a passive AA that gives you the chance to proc a 1 hit kill on qualifying mobs (humanoids that are lower level than yourself).

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
PoR sounds like it will be a blast!

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Krycek posted:

Don't worry about aaxp. Take Autogrant, it gives you all the AAs up to lvl 100 for free. DW and bow for different situations, never 2h unless chasing skill points for shits and giggles. Once you can start headshoting, leveling starts to fly. Headshot is a passive AA that gives you the chance to proc a 1 hit kill on qualifying mobs (humanoids that are lower level than yourself).

Thanks! Will grab a good set of weapons to use before I bother with his epic. Sounds like headshot RNG is definitely worthwhile for 1 shot KO.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Keep in mind that advice isn't going to be as relevant on Agnarr and probably Phinigel. What server are you on?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Thought HS took a massive nerf and only works on greens now?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

suuma posted:

Keep in mind that advice isn't going to be as relevant on Agnarr and probably Phinigel. What server are you on?

Ugh, i do this really dumb thing where I forget this thread isn’t only for Agnarr, since thats the only ‘live’ eq I’ve played since SONYEQ days.

Agnarr. So, if HS got nerfed.. what are rangers then in Luclin / PoP era?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

onesixtwo posted:

Ugh, i do this really dumb thing where I forget this thread isn’t only for Agnarr, since thats the only ‘live’ eq I’ve played since SONYEQ days.

Agnarr. So, if HS got nerfed.. what are rangers then in Luclin / PoP era?

Bow is your bread and butter in luclin/pop because that's when they finally made it not suck via AAs, some fights you will melee because of reasons, but mostly bow (endless quiver is your lord and savior, you will bow down to it and love it)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Rangers is my guild on Phinny were already switching to melee in Time raids once they had good weapons. If we saw them bowing then it was due to laziness heh

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

Rangers is my guild on Phinny were already switching to melee in Time raids once they had good weapons. If we saw them bowing then it was due to laziness heh

You're not supposed to change to melee until Gates of Discord, when you start getting melee accuracy AAs. That and Blade of Natural Turmoil which is pretty drat strong.

You *can* melee with Timespinner and Hammer of the Timeweaver and it'll basically be even with bows, but good luck getting Hammer over the rogues and monks it *should* go to. But I guess that's what you can blow your DKP load on...

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I take it the Archery Mastery AA (Headshot unlocks in PoP) is enough of a boost to just.. shoot bows 24/7? Thats pretty hilarious sounding.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

onesixtwo posted:

I take it the Archery Mastery AA (Headshot unlocks in PoP) is enough of a boost to just.. shoot bows 24/7? Thats pretty hilarious sounding.

It obviously requires a good bow and appropriate arrows (bane if they exist +ele damage etc), so dual-wield could be better than your bow, but once you start getting raid dropped bows your weapons are merely stat boosters until GoD.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Cool, thank you! This helps a lot. Gonna get him geared up and leveling somewhere I won’t know how to pull!

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

MF_James posted:

It obviously requires a good bow and appropriate arrows (bane if they exist +ele damage etc), so dual-wield could be better than your bow, but once you start getting raid dropped bows your weapons are merely stat boosters until GoD.

It used to be all about Bow of the Destroyer if I remember right. I'm sure poo poo changed since then and the elemental crafted bows will be the go to starter weapon for a fresh 70?

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
they ran out of time working on instancing PoR so they could tune luclin raid content weeks after it released on Agnarr, great prioritization by the folks at DBG

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Givin posted:

It used to be all about Bow of the Destroyer if I remember right. I'm sure poo poo changed since then and the elemental crafted bows will be the go to starter weapon for a fresh 70?

At 70 starting out, you should grab a Featherwood Compound Bow (Air Bow) and use tradeskills for your respective race/deity to make a good arrow. Alternatively, if DoN is open on your server, buy / make the drakespine arrow that is the current best.

Headshot is "normalized" on your heroic dexterity now. The more you have, the more likely you are to proc headshot. Speed of the bow / arrow doesn't matter at all. Idiots will tell you otherwise because "I just headshot a couple of times in a row with BOTD!" and don't understand what probability is.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Hoohah posted:

At 70 starting out, you should grab a Featherwood Compound Bow (Air Bow) and use tradeskills for your respective race/deity to make a good arrow. Alternatively, if DoN is open on your server, buy / make the drakespine arrow that is the current best.

Headshot is "normalized" on your heroic dexterity now. The more you have, the more likely you are to proc headshot. Speed of the bow / arrow doesn't matter at all. Idiots will tell you otherwise because "I just headshot a couple of times in a row with BOTD!" and don't understand what probability is.

Is it limited to "1 proc per xx seconds"? I don't play ranger.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Krycek posted:

Is it limited to "1 proc per xx seconds"? I don't play ranger.

Yes.

I don't think other AAs affect it either, like weapon affinity, only Heroic Dex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Anyone clear up PoP flagging on TLPs?

Scenarios:

I get gimped into all 4 EP kills, will I have Time access?

If I get gimped into Fennin Ro kill, do I have PoFire access?

If I get gimped into an Agnarr kill, but have MM and PoTactics flags, do I have PoEarth access?

If I get gimped into PoEarth for an Advisor kill + ring events, can I zone into PoEb?

Thanks!