Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is kinda important especially with the new fleet costs to know that the AI can afford to field twice as many as you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Jazerus posted:

jesus christ who cares

the AI needs all the help it can get, the people asking for a no-bonus-AI easy mode are going to play that way once after wiz implements it and then figure out that it isn't actually fun to roll over AIs who are Pathetic by 2250

You care because you felt the need to declare that the undocumented AI buff is NOT undocumented

It's undocumented and you may be ok with it from a gameplay standpoint but friggin lol at trying to claim it was documented

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Jazerus posted:

the AI needs all the help it can get, the people asking for a no-bonus-AI easy mode are going to play that way once after wiz implements it and then figure out that it isn't actually fun to roll over AIs who are Pathetic by 2250

I agree, the maintenance discount for the AI is a good thing. But it's still undocumented. In the particular comment on the Paradox forums, Wiz seemed to be implying the reason the AI had more ships was because they were better at managing "certain aspects" of their economies than the players.

Which I find hilarious. I've looked at their planets.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
If you don't have a mineral stockpile ready for war so you can seed every lovely Outpost you take with 2-3 defensive platforms to slow and attrition your rival when they attempt a pushback, you are missing out on comedy

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So I guess no one's up for a dedicated multiplayer game server then?

I figured that was the case, but I thought i'd ask anyways. MP for the game seems a bit dead otherwise. Especially where mods are concerned, since there's no automatic download of un-subscribed mods or related features to ensure that people who don't have the exact same mod setup can have parity in their mods and play together. Which is why I thought i'd bring it up here. An organized game seemed more doable in light of that.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Are you sure about that? Because I've gained exhaustion from losing a starbase + platforms before, I don't think losing the base gives you any in 2.02 but the platforms I think did in 2.0 at least?

not 100% sure but i think that is occupation exhaustion rather than attrition exhaustion

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You care because you felt the need to declare that the undocumented AI buff is NOT undocumented

It's undocumented and you may be ok with it from a gameplay standpoint but friggin lol at trying to claim it was documented

You've blown the case wide open, you should gather up all your evidence and drop it off at city hall to make sure justice is served. Wiz's lies and corruption must be exposed to the world.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jazerus posted:

not 100% sure but i think that is occupation exhaustion rather than attrition exhaustion

No it was definitely like, losses exhaustion, not occupation because it was a sizeable chunk of score. It only happened the once though, it was weird so I wasn't sure if it was because I lost the platforms without inflicting many casualties.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Archonex posted:

So I guess no one's up for a dedicated multiplayer game server then?

I figured that was the case, but I thought i'd ask anyways. MP for the game seems a bit dead otherwise. Especially where mods are concerned, since there's no automatic download of un-subscribed mods or related features to ensure that people who don't have the exact same mod setup can have parity in their mods and play together. Which is why I thought i'd bring it up here. An organized game seemed more doable in light of that.
If you're talking about running some kind of perpetual game that you can drop in on and boatmurdered an AI empire for a few hours then hell yes I would be interested.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Splicer posted:

If you're talking about running some kind of perpetual game that you can drop in on and boatmurdered an AI empire for a few hours then hell yes I would be interested.

That's exactly what i'm talking about, actually. I wanted to use the Star Trek mod since the potential for hilarious and interesting situations occurring over time is so much higher than the base game. The mod seems built for you to engage in hubris in entirely new ways thanks to there being so many race specific features. Especially when you factor in human players being manipulative/incompetent into the picture.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 7, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Wiz, can we please have a few more colors?

And maybe flag backgrounds like a hexagon or a square or four squares or triangles or even maybe a really fancy flag option that outlines your chosen symbol?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

If you're low on salt go check out some of the recent Steam reviews for the game. Pages and pages of "I DIDNT READ A PATCH NOTE AND SKIPPED THE POPUP FOR 2.0 BUT THE GAME IS LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE NOW BECAUSE OF THIS THING THAT IS A 2.0 FEATURE I DON'T UNDERSTAND FUK U PARADUMB!"

Pretty great.

More positive reviews than negative at least.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So maybe it's my bad colour eyes, but I can't make any sense of the unions map mode anymore. Previously if people were in federations or were vassals they'd all change the same colour and you could clearly tell they were a bloc of some sort (unless of course the 3 main federations/powers all had the same colour). Now it's doing something with borders, I can turn the mode on and off and see border colours change but it's meaningless and doesn't tell me anything. I'm back to having to read the list of members, write them down, then cross-reference the map. I really liked how clear the old system was.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I missed if we had any discussion of the latest beta patch (tl;dr the tradition bug is fixed)

New things below. Things I found interesting or amusing in bold.

* Added event that lets countries with a Chosen One become a Divine Empire
* Adjusted fleet formations so that titans try to position themselves more in the middle of a fleet and avoid face-tanking the enemy
* Grasp the Void ascension perk has been added to the game. It increases starbase capacity by +4
* Increased max starbase capacity to 100
* AI Empires now gets pirates
* Normalized unique Leviathan building costs. Ether Drake Shrine, Dragonslayer Monument, and Stellar Devourer Trophy now all cost 800 minerals and take one year to build
* Post-Apocalyptic civic starts with a more balanced home world, because even Max Rockatansky cannot live on gasoline alone
* The "Scout" Admiral trait will now first appear after Gravitic Sensors tech has been researched
* Global Pacifier and Neutron Sweep can now be used to neutralize Prethoryn infested worlds
* Added a 20 year cooldown before the AI can hire a Marauder raid against the same target again
* Increased combat disengage chance for Titans
* Fleet Levies now makes all subject (not just vassal) Pops count towards overlord's naval capacity instead of giving a fraction of vassal naval capacity (as the latter resulted in getting huge amounts of naval capacity from techs of 1-system vassals)
* Executive Vigor effect on edict duration reduced from +100% to +50%
* Fixed being able to build Trading Hubs in primitive systems
* Defense platforms that are over cap are now deleted when downgrading a starbase
* Unless a megastructure is set to be built outside gravity wells it MUST have a planet set to be built
* Description texts for the exterminator civic updated to reflect ship build cost
* Colony ships now also get reduced ship cost if there is a modifier for it
* Fixed a bug where tradition cost did not increase per planet, but rather cost per system twice instead
* Fixed issue where Prethoryn Defeated happiness modifier was not applied to militarists correctly
* Fixed a crash when sorting the war logs more than once
* Crashfix when trying to send a message that couldn't be created
* You can no longer stop the building of other empire's robot
* You can no longer save a ship design if that name is already used by a ship design for another ship size
* Fixed a bug where polytechnic education tradition effect did not match tooltip
* Fixed so that expansion traditions adopt bonus is now the same for all types of empires, instead of using the old value for hive minds and machine empires
* Contingency sterilization hubs can now be properly neutralized by World Crackers and Global Pacifiers
* Fixed species being able to spawn with Serviles trait
* Fixed Colossus and Containment CBs not being correctly applied
* No longer possible to lose a rival you're at war with due to strength differences

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Thinking for inward perfection empires (or fanatic purifiers forting up before exploding) that new perk is pretty much mandatory first pick

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lum_ posted:

Thinking for inward perfection empires (or fanatic purifiers forting up before exploding) that new perk is pretty much mandatory first pick

Nah, I think Technological Ascendancy is still the first choice because of how much 10% can help early on. It could make for a good second pick, but I'd probably still go with Engimatic Engineering.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Pylons posted:

Nah, I think Technological Ascendancy is still the first choice because of how much 10% can help early on. It could make for a good second pick, but I'd probably still go with Engimatic Engineering.

I dunno... depending on your immediate neighborhood, it's pretty easy to need 2 or 3 more starbases as border forts than you start with if you're trying to play small/tall. The impact on your economy from not having to go over default starbase upkeep waaay makes up for the 10% tech boost.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

How do I check claims that have been made against me? Also, I noticed that the diplomacy screen no longer tells you when your truce with an empire will end, unless that was fixed in the latest round of fixes. Is there a way to check when my allies' truce ends?

Finally, if I rival an ally of an ally, or try to go to war with an ally of an ally, what happens? I'm friends with some federation builders but they're making an alliance with some terrible authoritarians I want to go after.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Archonex posted:

That's exactly what i'm talking about, actually. I wanted to use the Star Trek mod since the potential for hilarious and interesting situations occurring over time is so much higher than the base game. The mod seems built for you to engage in hubris in entirely new ways thanks to there being so many race specific features. Especially when you factor in human players being manipulative/incompetent into the picture.

Seems like a neat idea to me, I can't wait for the Krenim to gently caress everything up and we end up with assimilated Changelings.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Lum_ posted:

I missed if we had any discussion of the latest beta patch (tl;dr the tradition bug is fixed)

New things below. Things I found interesting or amusing in bold.

* Added a 20 year cooldown before the AI can hire a Marauder raid against the same target again

gently caress yea!

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Lum_ posted:

Yeah this patch seems real promising, I wanted to test the new unity costs but they've been in some form of bugged since 2.0 release.

I dig the terrain claiming mechanic so hopefully these costs will encourage a bit more land grabbing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there an event id to force a great khan? I'm into 2400 in a new game and they never did poo poo again :(

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

So not sure if this is a bug or I'm having trouble figuring some math.

My shown edict duration is +85%, from 2 sources: executive vigor giving +50%, and my hive mind leader giving +40% (level 8). I have no other techs/civics that effect edict duration that I can see. This should be 90% right?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Pyroi posted:

Seems like a neat idea to me, I can't wait for the Krenim to gently caress everything up and we end up with assimilated Changelings.

The Krenim don't have any specific events which is fine because they are the race that start closest to the Borg so they are eaten first.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Also as a player if you don't go towards the Alpha quadrant assimilating changelings is quite doable, they're the next step after the Delta Quadrant races (Krenim/Kazon/Talaxians/etc). Though there's also the HurQ which I think are set as a fallen empire now so that might keep the shapeshifters safe for a bit.

I've only tried the mod once since Apocalypse came out tho.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lum_ posted:

Also as a player if you don't go towards the Alpha quadrant assimilating changelings is quite doable, they're the next step after the Delta Quadrant races (Krenim/Kazon/Talaxians/etc). Though there's also the HurQ which I think are set as a fallen empire now so that might keep the shapeshifters safe for a bit.

I've only tried the mod once since Apocalypse came out tho.
Is there really that much Star Trek lore written somewhere or are people just approximating a lot of this stuff?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Is there really that much Star Trek lore written somewhere or are people just approximating a lot of this stuff?

There's a really in depth star trek conversion available here:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=688086068

It's really well done

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ham Sandwiches posted:

There's a really in depth star trek conversion available here:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=688086068

It's really well done
I understand that there is a conversion, I am asking where the people that made that got their fluff or if they are bullshitting it based off of random stuff they learned from the TV shows.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Splicer posted:

Pyroi posted:

Right. So that's three of us that are interested. If I can get one or two more and confirmation from the mod makers that this thing is at least marginally stable enough for a multiplayer game then we probably have enough to carry us until more are interested. Anyone else for it?

I understand that there is a conversion, I am asking where the people that made that got their fluff or if they are bullshitting it based off of random stuff they learned from the TV shows.

Star Trek is a big franchise. Between the many TV series, the multitude of games, and the better books they have a lot to work with. As a result the mod is insanely in depth too. You can even replay episodes as a multiple choice adventure. Or a mini crisis. Just google Memory Alpha for the primary "canon" source of material from the TV shows. So yeah. It's all pulled from canon. Hell, I think they're mostly against each adding anything outside of the TV shows.

Outside of Star Trek Online's Lobi Consortium I haven't seen anything that wasn't in the TV shows. I haven't personally played them yet but given the interaction I saw happen i'm assuming that the Ferengi can eventually found Trader Enclaves like the stations in the main game. The one resource i've seen be offered so far was Lobi Crystals. IE: The hilariously useless cash shop crystals that take a bajillion of to get anything of worth. Though here they give a 5% happiness boost for all of your citizens on top of the usual mineral and energy conversions trader enclaves do in the base game. They even kept tempting me to spend exorbitant amounts of minerals and energy to get access to their unique resource only for me to discover it was a loving Lobi Crystal resource. Suffice to say that getting contacted by the Ferengi and having them do the equivalent of a phone based interstellar telemarketing scam was a bit of a funny surprise. :argh:

The only other thing i've noticed from sources outside of the TV shows was an optional "Birth of the Federation" custom map drawn from one of the old cult classic games that you can choose to play on instead of the hand made canon map that's drawn from all of the TV show material.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 7, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Memory Alpha is basically the wookiepedia of star trek, it's a thing.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lol +4 starbases?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Demiurge4 posted:

Lol +4 starbases?

That seemed super pointless to me as well

You can have 7 instead of 3 when you can't afford it

you can have 15 instead of 11 when you no longer care

gratz all

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

PoptartsNinja posted:

Wiz, can we please have a few more colors?

And maybe flag backgrounds like a hexagon or a square or four squares or triangles or even maybe a really fancy flag option that outlines your chosen symbol?

Colours:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=682090850

As for backgrounds, it's hard to find a pack that doesn't also add a bunch of lovely symbols. I have a personal mod I use with some backgrounds (ring, dotted ring, hexagon, hexagon outline, ribbon through centre), if you suggest some more shapes you'd like I'll flesh it out and upload it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Demiurge4 posted:

Lol +4 starbases?

Yeah I don't know. I think in their quest to just "add more ascension picks" they've added some extremely mundane poo poo. I agree with others who say these picks should all be major society-shaping evolutions, not yet another repeatable tech.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Dunno, I've seriously considered +4 starbases at a couple points in the game I'm currently playing. I probably would have taken it if I didn't get the +2 starbases tech to pop around that same time. I'm up to 14, and if my empire wasn't as consolidated as it is I'd be considering it again for more border forts.

edit: to expound a bit, I'm currently planning my wars around not really expanding the number of choke point systems I'll have to defend, getting another 4 starbases eases that up tremendously.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

Dunno, I've seriously considered +4 starbases at a couple points in the game I'm currently playing. I probably would have taken it if I didn't get the +2 starbases tech to pop around that same time. I'm up to 14, and if my empire wasn't as consolidated as it is I'd be considering it again for more border forts.

edit: to expound a bit, I'm currently planning my wars around not really expanding the number of choke point systems I'll have to defend, getting another 4 starbases eases that up tremendously.

Yeah but that's kind of the core criticism. There exists a +2 starbase technology and it's tier 1. You get +4 from an Ascension Perk! Like Baronjutter says every perk really ought to feel game changing and incredible and be something that will the driving force behind differentiating empires from each other.

I'd junk the +10% research speed into enigmatic engineering. I'd remove the first tier of psionics entirely because all it loving does is give you 2-3 psionic leaders before you get to the next step, compare that to cybernetics which gives every leader a strong bonus and 20% habitability to all your pops. Half the ascension perks are just plain boring if not entirely shite.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 7, 2018

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Baronjutter posted:

So maybe it's my bad colour eyes, but I can't make any sense of the unions map mode anymore. Previously if people were in federations or were vassals they'd all change the same colour and you could clearly tell they were a bloc of some sort (unless of course the 3 main federations/powers all had the same colour). Now it's doing something with borders, I can turn the mode on and off and see border colours change but it's meaningless and doesn't tell me anything. I'm back to having to read the list of members, write them down, then cross-reference the map. I really liked how clear the old system was.

Why don't you switch to diplo mapmode and click on them? Federation shows up purple and subjects yellow in that map mode. The border thing is that everyone gets the overlord's/federation prez's border color. Which you probably won't recognize if it's not your own, of course.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Maybe it if was +25% instead of +4 or something.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah but that's kind of the core criticism. There exists a +2 starbase technology and it's tier 1. You get +4 from an Ascension Perk! Like Baronjutter says every perk really ought to feel game changing and incredible and be something that will the driving force behind differentiating empires from each other.

I'd junk the +10% research speed into enigmatic engineering. I'd remove the first tier of psionics entirely because all it loving does is give you 2-3 psionic leaders before you get to the next step, compare that to cybernetics which gives every leader a strong bonus and 20% habitability to all your pops. Half the ascension perks are just plain boring if not entirely shite.

To be fair you get a +5% research tech very early on and people say the +10% research ascension perk is still worth it. I think both perks are kinda lackluster though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It probably also depends on how wide you're going and what hyperlane density you use.

At .75 I really never lack for starbases to cover both chokepoints and settled worlds, but at higher densities I'd absolutely want them.