Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Heath posted:

Speaking of black inks though, I found an ancient, full bottle of Pelikan Fount ink (in the wedge-shaped bottle with the upward-bent inkwell.) It's still quite liquid and it works well for my dip pens, but is it usable in a fountain pen? The bottle calls it India ink but as far as I can tell it seems fountain pen safe, and they still sell it at retail. It's a nice dusty black and I would like to try it out, but I don't want to sacrifice a pen to do it.

As far as I'm aware it's in principle suitable for fountain pens, but it's still enough of a hassle to clean out if you leave the pen lying around for a bit that I wouldn't put it in anything expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Kessel posted:

Remember, it’s generally the feed and not the nib that’s an issue when using sparkle/shimmer/pigment

Yeap. This.

That being said though, you won't really get the full effect of the shinies with a finer nib even if the feed is up to it. And of course paper matters a ton.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Zuph posted:

Dear Fountain Pen Nerds, I never thought it would happen to me: Yesterday, I bought an old-style Visconti Van Gogh, new, unused, in box, from a thrift store for $3.50.

Like, it was just sitting there, behind the counter, with the $3.50 price sticker on it. I don't think I've ever bought something so fast. Still haven't decided if I'm going to keep it, or sell it.

Can you post a pic? They look pretty from what I see on Google.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

That being said though, you won't really get the full effect of the shinies with a finer nib even if the feed is up to it. And of course paper matters a ton.

So would an M nib suffice, then? I guess I might as well embrace the crayoning. Those are really pretty inks.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeap. This.

Yeah. I’m just addressing the “will shimmer gently caress my pen up” issue.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

MJP posted:

So would an M nib suffice, then? I guess I might as well embrace the crayoning. Those are really pretty inks.

Yeah although we should get meticulous here and measure because there is overlap between fine and medium. I have some "fine" nibs advertised in the .4-.5mm range that I consider medium. Those did a decent job with bringing out shinies. You also want something that reviews as wet.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is an M Metro wet enough?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MJP posted:

In my experience, no.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

howe_sam posted:

Get a 1.5mm Pilot Parallel, costs about the same as the Metro[…]

Oh wow, it’s like $25 to get all four sizes: http://amzn.to/2FXn2ly

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

MJP posted:

For cheaper pens, I have been finding a lot of Chinese pens to be pretty wet. My Jinhao x750s do just fine with the shinies. The problem is maybe you don't want to be writing with basically a giant, metal cigar. that's more my style though.

If you're kind of wary of going to fatter lines, I had the same issue. I had some notion of writing tiny with a fine nib from years of parsimony or something. However, I found a wider nib felt smoother, wrote better with more inks, and made my penmanship look better. It's a lot easier cheating with connecting letters when the width of the nib can make it look like you wrote it right the first time.

That being said, I think I would have needed to have started with a Pilot Metropolitan EF nib in order to have been turned on to the whole thing in the first place.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If you're kind of wary of going to fatter lines, I had the same issue. I had some notion of writing tiny with a fine nib from years of parsimony or something. However, I found a wider nib felt smoother, wrote better with more inks, and made my penmanship look better. It's a lot easier cheating with connecting letters when the width of the nib can make it look like you wrote it right the first time.

Yeah, my Preppy medium feels better than my Metro medium, which feels better than my Metro fine, which feels better than my MUJI fine.

So I mix and match: addresses and other service bits in Metro fine black, message content in one of the medium pens in a fun color.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

MJP posted:

I keep going back and forth on this. I love the color and shading you get from an M, but it looks like a 5 year old scrawling with crayon. Not sure if it just my (lack of) technique or what.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 5, 2018

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Demon_Corsair posted:

I keep going back and forth on this. I love the color and shading you get from an M, but it looks like a 5 year old scrawling with crayon. Not sure if it just my (lack of) technique or what.

Different inks will feather more too. I tend to use drier inks at work for that reason (like Pelikan).

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've got a couple of Baoer 801s on order, and I went in on the drop for the inks. Worst-case scenario I'm out $40 for two pens and two inks that I can sell somewhere. Not like it's Montegrappa pricing here.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Goddamnit Customs has one of my PenBBS 308s again.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

grack posted:

Goddamnit Customs has one of my PenBBS 308s again.

Ugggh just move to :911: already. Here the pens get delivered fast, so you can enjoy them for a little while before you get sick and your terrible medical coverage forces you into bankruptcy and you freeze to death in an alley

edit: I almost impulse bought a red Opus 88 Koloro last night, somebody please talk me into it, or out of it.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 6, 2018

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Trustworthy posted:

edit: I almost impulse bought a red Opus 88 Koloro last night, somebody please talk me into it, or out of it.
Well, I generally don't like demonstrators, and I don't then understand why somebody turns around and tints the demonstrator so you can't see anything. You might as well get yourself some party-plastic/ebonite/acrylic/Indian-butt-resin at that point.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Well, I generally don't like demonstrators, and I don't then understand why somebody turns around and tints the demonstrator so you can't see anything. You might as well get yourself some party-plastic/ebonite/acrylic/Indian-butt-resin at that point.

I mean, I guess you could say the same about the tinted ink window Pelikan's been using for nearly a century, but it's p. handy to know much ink you've got left without your pen looking like a Bic Eco

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I wish my Pelikan was one of the ones with a clear (or at least amber) tinted section. You have to hold the drat thing up to the sun or a lamp (and blind yourself in the process) to see how full it is.

Also I'm not a huge fan of demonstrators, but this smoked grey 992 I have looks pretty sharp. I can absolutely see why you'd want a colored demonstrator. Especially if you're just using blue or black or something that doesn't look particularly interesting in the converter like Zhivago or something.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Koloro is the cheapest way to get a modern pen with a Japanese style eyedropper that includes the screwdown shutoff valve. It is cool, and you should get one, but get the transparent demonstrator with #6 nib.

Edit: I am bad at talking people out of buying fountain pens.

grack fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 7, 2018

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

grack posted:

The Koloro is the cheapest way to get a modern pen with a Japanese style eyedropper that includes the screwdown shutoff valve. It is cool, and you should get one, but get the transparent demonstrator with #6 nib.

I wish they made the bigger #6 one in the good colors. The big demonstrator looks like some Franky Christoph monstrosity, but I really love the vintage vibe of the tan ebonite + red acrylic. :smith:

(I'm probably going wait, maybe Pen Chalet will have a big summer sale or something...)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Zenostein posted:

I wish my Pelikan was one of the ones with a clear (or at least amber) tinted section. You have to hold the drat thing up to the sun or a lamp (and blind yourself in the process) to see how full it is.

Also I'm not a huge fan of demonstrators, but this smoked grey 992 I have looks pretty sharp. I can absolutely see why you'd want a colored demonstrator. Especially if you're just using blue or black or something that doesn't look particularly interesting in the converter like Zhivago or something.

I have a small keyring flashlight that I can use to see ink levels on my pens that lack an actual ink window, it's small enough that it won't blind me when against a pen, it's also just really useful in general as an alternative to my phone's flashlight. As far as demonstrators go I really like the deep blue and deep red 3776 Century pens by Platinum, you can barely see inside them but the material they are made of is so beautiful that I don't care. The Pilot Custom ones are nice too.

I just recently saved up enough for my first Pelikan, a M805 Ocean Swirl with an EF nib(because Pelikan nib sizes :lol:), anyone have that model? Or any thoughts on the M800/805 in general?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I just recently saved up enough for my first Pelikan, a M805 Ocean Swirl with an EF nib(because Pelikan nib sizes :lol:), anyone have that model? Or any thoughts on the M800/805 in general?
I've been going through my collection and writing out quick reviews of every pen as I ink them up.

For the people who can't read my chicken scratch. "I love the M80x design. It is perfect for my hand, and a piston filler with easily removable nibs is also my precise jam. My only complaint is that the section is too small and my thumb ends up resting on the threads. The nib is real good too, if perhaps overly stiff, and the fine is maybe too fine for my taste? Give me one with a medium or broad and I would be in heave. The grey stripes and silver hardware looks sharp as well. 8/10"
One point of clarification. It's the overall size and girth of the pen that's perfect for hand, the section is, as I said, a bit too short. I also have a red M800 in XF, and that nib is...not so good. Super dry to the point of ink starvation. I need to get it tuned one of these days.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

howe_sam posted:

I've been going through my collection and writing out quick reviews of every pen as I ink them up.

That's a good idea I might steal that :pervert:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The black 823 is the best way to do a demonstrator. Looks perfectly normal from a ways off but you can immediately tell the ink level when it’s in your hands.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

grack posted:

I'd never seen these before, so thanks for that. Yet another pen to add to the collection!

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

NeurosisHead posted:

I'd never seen these before, so thanks for that. Yet another pen to add to the collection!

I hadn't seen the Opus 88 before. The only other pen I knew of with that system is the Namiki Emperor.

Talking people down from the ledge chat: please convince me to not buy a Visconti Opera Master, I'm looking at Goulet's Luna (primarily, sucker for blue) and Chatterly's Thames at Midnight.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
rationalize not buying a Visconti the way I do: it’s clip is horrifying, like underwear absolutely plastered with giant brand name all over

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Don't they have metal grips? That's reason enough in my book.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

NeurosisHead posted:

Don't they have metal grips? That's reason enough in my book.

Not all of them. My Divina has a celluloid section, the Homo Sapiens a lava one...

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

^^^
As far as I'm aware, all Opera Masters (which are the two pens in question) have metal sections.

The Electronaut posted:

Talking people down from the ledge chat: please convince me to not buy a Visconti Opera Master, I'm looking at Goulet's Luna (primarily, sucker for blue) and Chatterly's Thames at Midnight.

I'm hardly the person to ask considering I own a Thames at Midnight, but if it makes a difference, it's a dang heavy pen.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 7, 2018

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Electronaut posted:

I hadn't seen the Opus 88 before. The only other pen I knew of with that system is the Namiki Emperor.

Danitrio still uses eyedroppers with shut-off valves in some of their pens, but there's a pretty steep entry price there as well. The Koloro is not only the cheapest way to get a Japanese eydropper with that system in a modern pen, it's the cheapest by a considerable margin.

The Electronaut posted:

Rationalize it the same way I do - if you get a bad nib, it'll take a miracle to get the damned thing to write properly.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Trans-LoafWithTail posted:

rationalize not buying a Visconti the way I do: it’s clip is horrifying, like underwear absolutely plastered with giant brand name all over

My favourite thing about that clip is that Visconti usually cannot even manage to plate its loving brand name properly.

Seriously, take a look at a bunch of Viscontis and note the sheer number of pens that will have something wrong with the plating on the clip. Missing letters, chipped edges...

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

howe_sam posted:

^^^
As far as I'm aware, all Opera Masters (which are the two pens in question) have metal sections.

I misread which post you were replying to. Ack.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

atholbrose posted:

Not all of them. My Divina has a celluloid section, the Homo Sapiens a lava one...

I legit love my full sized Bronze Age Homo Sapiens. It's a pen I'd recommend to anyone, full stop. But metal sections are a travesty, and I'd hate it if it had one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

NeurosisHead posted:

I legit love my full sized Bronze Age Homo Sapiens

sir that artifact is the cultural property of the people of macedonia

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Read this beauty on FPN yesterday: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/333851-titanium-bock-nib-adjustment/

I'll quote the salient part for you here

quote:

I normally open up nib slits with a pen knife but never tried on a titanium nib. So before I ruin a brand new nib does anyone have any advise for working on a titanium nib?

I should've just told him to go ahead and use his knife.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Man, I've never ordered from Pen Chalet before but they're really on the ball with shipping promptly! Good for them (and me).

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Any advice on how to tweak a nib that doesn’t seem to want to start? I have a monteverde m, but the first strike or two after taking the cap off seems to be a little dry-I need to try twice to write the word or whatever. Once it is going it is super smooth and I like it. Though about a third of my t’s and f’s fade out because it feels a touch dry again. Do I need to fuss with the tines or try a different ink or something? I’m using an iroshizuku ink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

That sounds like the nib is over polished. It's something that requires micromesh or mylar paper to fix.