Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SeanBeansShako posted:

Any hobby with a military history theme will attract all shades of weird types including the crazy racist fascist thugs. Table top, reenactment, electronic gaming or actual historical research there will always be those kind of dudes.

TWC just went to poo poo after CA took one look at it after ETW and decided 'hell no, we aren't touching that with a twenty foot lance'.

I mostly agree, but I feel that TWC needs a special level of callout.

I professionally re-enacted 1860s british army as a museum thing for a while as a student. We did live fire demonstrations with OG 150yo snyder-enfields and got detention if we didn't shine our boots up proper. We had about 10 smoothbore 24lbers, a handful of mortars, 2 armstrong guns, and several brass howitzers that birds lived in because for some reason those were the only things we weren't legally allowed to live fire.

Somehow our cadre of people pretending to be the worstest most imperialest godawful white folk of all time still managed to be pretty liberal and universally agree that the british empire was in fact bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Shogun 2 question: how do you do sieges as Takeda with cav-centric armies?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Attack the gates.

Also, dismount from time-to-time.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I professionally re-enacted 1860s british army as a museum thing for a while as a student. We did live fire demonstrations with OG 150yo snyder-enfields and got detention if we didn't shine our boots up proper. We had about 10 smoothbore 24lbers, a handful of mortars, 2 armstrong guns, and several brass howitzers that birds lived in because for some reason those were the only things we weren't legally allowed to live fire.

Somehow our cadre of people pretending to be the worstest most imperialest godawful white folk of all time still managed to be pretty liberal and universally agree that the british empire was in fact bad

I had a weird conversation with a civil war re-enactor (for the confederates) where he felt really bad that Obama had to deal with as much poo poo as he did and felt genuinely sad that there were a bunch of racists in his chosen political party.

This was right after he pretended to kill a bunch of Americans in order to defend slavery. We were all sipping tea and eating snacks.

History is weird, but it attracts some real weirdos when violence is involved.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I imagine the strange power of the internet making some of these people feel less lonely and enables such behavior especially if centralized together.

Also those cannons sound boss, I imagine you weren't allowed to shoot them because nobody alive now can maintain and repair the barrels which would also be an expensive act.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Fun fact, a solid percentage of the guns on the north wall are in fact 32lbrs and there is one 18lbr on the south-west demi-bastion. Plus there are actually four Armstrongs if you count to 110lbr.

Check your facts, rookie.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I imagine the strange power of the internet making some of these people feel less lonely and enables such behavior especially if centralized together.

Also those cannons sound boss, I imagine you weren't allowed to shoot them because nobody alive now can maintain and repair the barrels which would also be an expensive act.

It's more because they're ornamental, and also not accurate for the field artillery we're representing. There's also a QF 2lbr that now lives in a museum room that was fired after it was restored because the guys who restored it really wanted to.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiLVAz-Jczg

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

jokes posted:

I had a weird conversation with a civil war re-enactor (for the confederates) where he felt really bad that Obama had to deal with as much poo poo as he did and felt genuinely sad that there were a bunch of racists in his chosen political party.

This was right after he pretended to kill a bunch of Americans in order to defend slavery. We were all sipping tea and eating snacks.

History is weird, but it attracts some real weirdos when violence is involved.

To be fair, not all Southern soldiers were fighting for slavery. They were fighting for their freedom from the Union or something (their "rats").

At least, that's what's suggested here (and this is all I know of the subject, so I'm probably not the best person to be sharing this info).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ1f9vliwiA&t=1151s

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

PureRok posted:

To be fair, not all Southern soldiers were fighting for slavery. They were fighting for their freedom from the Union or something (their "rats").

At least, that's what's suggested here (and this is all I know of the subject, so I'm probably not the best person to be sharing this info).

Yeah there's a joke that when you don't know much about the Civil War, you think it was all about slavery.
When you learn a little more, you might think it's about states' rights.
When you learn more than that, you realize it's about the states' rights to own slaves.

Pop into the A/T Milhist Thread and ask about the "Lost Cause" narrative. The TL;DR is that chattel slavery was pretty much the only meaningful reason.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

No, no, it was about economics, you see

the economics of slavery

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

PureRok posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Cause_and_Comrades:_Why_Men_Fought_in_the_Civil_War

I'm sure there were also total dumbasses fighting but anybody who thought about it more than a minute knew that they were defending the right to own slaves.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Generation Internet posted:

It's more because they're ornamental, and also not accurate for the field artillery we're representing. There's also a QF 2lbr that now lives in a museum room that was fired after it was restored because the guys who restored it really wanted to.

He better of painted the gun carriage blue.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat, zero posts about the Carthaginians being added to Total War Arena?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mans posted:

drat, zero posts about the Carthaginians being added to Total War Arena?

Can't really muster up any enthusiasm for Arena at all, really.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I thought earlier posts about the game were broadly positive? Back in one of their previous betas, I mean.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
my problem with arena is that it's a perfect way for CA to mix and match time periods and yet every single faction in it is just from Rome 2. I'll probably give it another go but I can't really get hyped about it until it actually capitalizes on being able to be something different.

unrelatedly, anyone remember how to mod faction icons in Rome 2? I want to play Nabatea when the faction pack drops but the idea of playing as a great empire spanning the far reaches of the Mediterranean and Near East while my standard is a picture of a pot is kind of underwhelming.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My main beef with Arena is that it uses the same awful and played out "tier" system that should have stopped appearing in new games years ago.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The worst part of Arena is that we will never get the multiplayer updates in other TW games. Otherwise I actually enjoy it when played in a group. The matches are rather quick and it’s kind of chill compared to all the micro you do in a Warhammer multiplayer game.

Huge multiplayer battles rule in Warhammer but it takes 15 minutes to fart around in the lobby till you get 8 players, then when you finally load in you discover one idiot is running on a 2004 laptop at 5 FPS lagging everything down. Then half the players disconnect because synchronizing the FPS floor to the worst performing pc is lameo big time.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 28, 2018

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Captain Beans posted:

The worst part of Arena is that we will never get the multiplayer updates in other TW games. Otherwise I actually enjoy it when played in a group. The matches are rather quick and it’s kind of chill compared to all the micro you do in a Warhammer multiplayer game.

Huge multiplayer battles rule in Warhammer but it takes 15 minutes to fart around in the lobby till you get 8 players, then when you finally load in you discover one idiot is running on a 2004 laptop at 5 FPS lagging everything down. Then half the players disconnect because synchronizing the FPS floor to the worst performing pc is lameo big time.

Yeah, Arena is pretty fun when you have friends to play it with. It's not really a game that you play for hours on end though, more like you play a few rounds then move on to something else.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Koramei posted:

my problem with arena is that it's a perfect way for CA to mix and match time periods and yet every single faction in it is just from Rome 2. I'll probably give it another go but I can't really get hyped about it until it actually capitalizes on being able to be something different.

Greenskins in Arena when

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

unwantedplatypus posted:

Greenskins in Arena when

The same patch as Roman Ninjas and medieval Hungarian ninjas.

I miss ahistoric ninjas in TW games :(

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol, it looks like the "Likes Romans/Greeks/Easterners/etc" political trait in Rome 2 (+loyalty for treaties with whoever they like) counts war as a treaty. Same for "Hates X" which is the exact opposite.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I got a new PC and the first thing that came to my mind was to install Shogun 2 and play it again because it has been, by and far, my favorite Total War game to date. Those super-long load times to the main title screen are a brief 35-45 seconds now and I just laugh at how I got this far without owning a SSD.

Anyway, I want to change things up and actually pay attention to ashigaru units, since I usually skipped over those except for using them as garrison units. What's a good army comp that makes use of their numbers? 3 Ashigaru for every 1 samurai unit or somesuch?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I think that's about the ratio I end up settling on. You have a cadre of 4-8 samurai units in an army and the rest is filled by peasants, depending on what you can afford, faction bonuses, preferred composition, etc.

I like to think of it as the ashigaru's job is to kill and be killed by ashigaru, and the samurai's job is to kill both samurai and ashigaru and let the peasants on both sides do all the dying.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jimbot posted:

I got a new PC and the first thing that came to my mind was to install Shogun 2 and play it again because it has been, by and far, my favorite Total War game to date. Those super-long load times to the main title screen are a brief 35-45 seconds now and I just laugh at how I got this far without owning a SSD.

Anyway, I want to change things up and actually pay attention to ashigaru units, since I usually skipped over those except for using them as garrison units. What's a good army comp that makes use of their numbers? 3 Ashigaru for every 1 samurai unit or somesuch?

I usually do 19 ashigaru units to every general. Oda strong.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Patch notes for the Rome 2 update are out:
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/desert-kingdoms-patch-notes

Guard mode is making a return

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I've only ever played Rome II because who doesn't love hearing "Triarii!" all the time? I haven't picked up the game in years though, and now there's more out there. With all the newer games out, is Rome II still considered a good game, or should I embrace my inner weeb and download Shogun 2? Is that enough of an improvement to where going back to Rome II would be painful?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The mispronounced TREE-ARR-EEE-EYE from Rome 1 never gets old.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Shogun 2 is one of the best games in the series. Also it sounds like you mean the original Rome because Rome 2 is actually newer than Shogun 2?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Fhqwhgads posted:

I've only ever played Rome II because who doesn't love hearing "Triarii!" all the time? I haven't picked up the game in years though, and now there's more out there. With all the newer games out, is Rome II still considered a good game, or should I embrace my inner weeb and download Shogun 2? Is that enough of an improvement to where going back to Rome II would be painful?

I'm presuming you mean Rome 1, because Rome 2 is one of the latest entries and was not considered a good game and the classic Triarii shout is from that one. Shogun 2 is fantastic, as are the Warhammer titles, and Rome 1 and Medieval 2 stand up extremely well and are in some ways better than the later titles.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Going back to Rome 1 and Medieval 2 is fine but you really need to put yourself in a pre-shogun 2 mindset for replenishment rules.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Oh wow, I am that far removed from Total War games. That makes me sad that Rome II wasn't good. I'll take a look at Shogun 2 and the Warhammer games, though!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Rome 2 is a pretty good game now.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The Warhammer games are good but it's kinda hosed up that you can only play as Pontus.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

canyoneer posted:

Rome 2 is a pretty good game now.

It's alright. It's bland and characterless over a giant map, but it's serviceable. It has none of the charm any of the other games in the series possess.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's alright. It's bland and characterless over a giant map, but it's serviceable. It has none of the charm any of the other games in the series possess.

Lol

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Mantis42 posted:

Shogun 2 is one of the best games in the series. Also it sounds like you mean the original Rome because Rome 2 is actually newer than Shogun 2?

Am I the only person who at least sometimes accidentally refers to it as "Shotgun 2?"

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

I hope this means we'll see Attila receive some support later. The Warhammer trilogy too, if they continued DLC and content for that game for years I'd probably play the game forever.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

I hope this means we'll see Attila receive some support later. The Warhammer trilogy too, if they continued DLC and content for that game for years I'd probably play the game forever.

The best update they could make for Attila is to apply whatever engine optimisations they're making for Thrones of Britannia so it actually makes full use of hardware and doesn't run worse than Warhammer does, honestly.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Fhqwhgads posted:

Oh wow, I am that far removed from Total War games. That makes me sad that Rome II wasn't good. I'll take a look at Shogun 2 and the Warhammer games, though!

warhammer 1 is the best vanilla total war game

modded rome 2 is the best modded total war game

-

oh theres a new dlc for rome 2 lets have a look at the steam comment-

quote:

Because peoples complaints about this hot garbage are more than fair. You can defend it all you want but I for one won't play this shite; zooming down to the battlefield to see an all female melee unit beating an all male melee unit. I refuse to take part in this forced third-wave feminism and utter lunacy. That is literally game breaking and immersion destroying for me, and probably a lot of others too I'd wager.

Enjoy paying for the Desert Feminism: Forced Cringe DLC

quote:

Lmfao you SJW's defending this nonsense is hilarious, then you say we're the triggered ones. Didn't you cucks invent being triggered and safe spaces? If you think women had substantial military roles you're literally smoking meth. Sure, some women LED some armies or maybe at best played some minor roles in guerrilla warfare, but lmfao an all female heavy mele unit? I laugh at the thought of a female shield wall, literally brings tears of joy to my eyes to think you twink boys get off on that. If you think women have the strength to stand toe to toe with men in sustained combat you are sadly mistaken.

oh

i... i was going to say it was silly to see numidian chariots...

its weird that steam actually has more of these angry incels than TWC now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

anybody know if TW: Britannia is gonna be 64 bit?

I'm real worried about it being based off attila cause that was by far the worst running modern total war