Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo he might actually be smoking something right now. This should have been a Toxx challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I’m getting pretty impatient though, so I might just run to the store and pick up a pork butt or something with my own money some time in the next few days. Only problem is I don’t have much money, and I have to be careful with what I do have.

Sounds like you need to git mo' money, son :coolfish:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What do I do about the white smoke, though? Or do I not need to worry about that?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
What temperature is the grill at?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

VERTiG0 posted:

What temperature is the grill at?

227°.

The loin is at 140°. Dad is insisting we leave it on until it’s at 170°, even though the website says to pull it at 145°. I don’t really feel like arguing so I’m just doing what he says and if it’s ruined then that’s his fault.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It's gonna be tough and dry as gently caress.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Classic Gitmo

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Guys why does my pork loin taste like a mummified horse dick someone rolled in soot?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This totally feels like one of those threads that mods were just move from sub-forum to sub-forum to turn it into a classic SA thread.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Sever with your dad gitmo

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

lol leave it on until 170 holy poo poo

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Gorman Thomas posted:

Sever with your dad gitmo

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Let me guess, he wants to hit that 165 to be sure all bacteria are killed, plus a little extra to be on the safe side?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It's gonna be tough and dry as gently caress.

Honestly I don’t really give a single poo poo about this particular smoke at all so I’m just going with it. I told my folks that we should pull the stupid thing at 145° and they won’t listen. If I pull it before 170° then they’re gonna throw a fit and stick it in the oven until it gets to 170°, so it’s not like it matters what I do.

My dad is getting 170° from a guide on some old as poo poo terrible meat thermometer we’ve had for years. I’ll post a pic of it later.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Let me guess, he wants to hit that 165 to be sure all bacteria are killed, plus a little extra to be on the safe side?

Pretty much. My parents are idiots.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
You should have cut the loin in half and done half to 145 and half to 170, just to show them the difference, or even just to not ruin your own meal.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Yeah or pinwheels.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
What is it with anglosphere people and overcooking food for fear of bacteria anyhow?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I did it. I convinced my dad to let me pull it at 154°.

Tastes amazing. Moist as absolute gently caress. Dad can’t believe how good it is.

Overall a pretty good first smoke.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Also what is it with ppl not taking pictures?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Stringent posted:

What is it with anglosphere people and overcooking food for fear of bacteria anyhow?

FDA used to have a serious scare on about Trichinosis in pork and chicken that meant they needed to be cooked to death to be safe to eat. In the 1940's it was a few hundred cases a year, barely double digits these days due to improved food sanitation in meat packing.

Even then you only have to get it over 145 for a few seconds to be safe.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Ah ok.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I did it. I convinced my dad to let me pull it at 154°.

Tastes amazing. Moist as absolute gently caress. Dad can’t believe how good it is.

Overall a pretty good first smoke.

Show us the meats.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Pics or it didn’t happen

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Liquid Communism posted:

Show us the meats.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Pics or it didn’t happen

I’m eating dinner right now but I’ll post pics later today.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Pork loin at 225
:ughh:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Hasselblad posted:

Pork loin at 225
:ughh:

Leave Donald Jr. alone. LEAVE HIM ALONE!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

El Jebus posted:

Leave Donald Jr. alone. LEAVE HIM ALONE!

I just know salmon smoked at 400 is right around the bend.

LOL
VVV

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 8, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

God loving damnit I opened the Imgur app and somehow a bunch of my pics post got deleted when I came back. Now I have to retype a bunch of poo poo.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
"Your next 5 posts should be pics of smoked meat"

*posts 100 times about the concept of smoking meat into a cinder*
*posts no pics*

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Picture time!

Here’s the meat still wrapped. It’s about 2.5 lbs.

The meat after I applied the rub and injected it with apple juice. You might notice the recipe I used calls for two kinds of rub; I didn’t have any other rub on-hand so I just rubbed it in the mix of salt, garlic, and pepper. I also didn’t have any pork injection stuff so I just injected it with straight apple juice. Not very interesting or creative, but I didn’t have much to work with and it came out good in the end so :shrug:.

Pic of the loin on the grill just before I pulled it off. I had to put it on the cast iron grate because the stainless steel one had some crud on it. So now our cast iron grate has some sauce and poo poo on it that will need to be cleaned off later. I’m not thrilled about that but whatever.

Here’s what the pork looks like on the inside. I took two pics of this: one with the flash and one without. This is the one with the flash because I think it shows better detail.

Overall I’m pretty happy with how this smoke went. I wasn’t crazy about the rub or the apple juice injection, and I think it actually ended up being too moist, but the smoke flavor was definitely there and my parents loving loved it. Dad was floored by how good it was.

Oh, and here’s a pic of that meat thermometer dad got the 170° from. It’s a piece of crap we bought at the grocery store like 20 years ago.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 9, 2018

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Well, that looks entirely decent for a first try. Good job, glad your dad liked it and use this opportunity to get him to buy a pork butt.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Your pork loin looks like it’s going to waddle away and jump in a lake lol

Good job Gitmo, now smoke some butter

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

My parents bought their dishware from Cracker Barrel.

I’m not joking.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I kinda want to smoke some butter and some honey next. Does anybody want pics if I smoke either of those?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I actually chortled when I saw the pork loin with chicken feet. I thought for sure Gitmo was having us on at that point.

Also, that thermometer is probably broken as gently caress. If you dad is able to drop a grand on a BBQ tell him to get a Thermoworks Thermapen. Top of the line thermometer.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 8, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Canuckistan posted:

Also, that thermometer is probably broken as gently caress. If you dad is able to drop a grand on a BBQ tell him to get a Thermoworks Thermapen. Top of the line thermometer.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4

I told him we at least needed to get a Thermoworks Smoke and I think he agrees. We just haven’t made the purchase yet.

I’ve tried to get him to buy a Classic Thermapen before and he turned it down, but I think that’s because I didn’t sell it right. I didn’t really know what to tell him when he asked why we needed to spend $80+ on a Thermapen and why the old pice of poo poo from the grocery store wasn’t just as good. If anyone has a pitch for me to get him to bite on that then I’m all ears.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
What do you need a Smoke for? You said you had a DigiQ setup with this thing.

What, you mean like the DigiQ? We got a DigiQ.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I'm the undercooked pork loin > a month past expiration.

You should probably grind the old seasoning off of that grate and reseason since you left crud on it. Tapeworms and stuff, you know. :eng101:

Seriously Gitmo, where did you get those photos from?

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 8, 2018

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Save the sales talk for meat imo.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

VERTiG0 posted:

What do you need a Smoke for? You said you had a DigiQ setup with this thing.

I mean it might be good to have. Although you’re right that we probably don’t need one now.

Hasselblad posted:

I'm the undercooked pork loin > a month past expiration.

Apparently it was sitting in the freezer for awhile.

Hasselblad posted:

Seriously Gitmo, where did you get those photos from?

... my phone? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

I told him we at least needed to get a Thermoworks Smoke and I think he agrees. We just haven’t made the purchase yet.

I’ve tried to get him to buy a Classic Thermapen before and he turned it down, but I think that’s because I didn’t sell it right. I didn’t really know what to tell him when he asked why we needed to spend $80+ on a Thermapen and why the old pice of poo poo from the grocery store wasn’t just as good. If anyone has a pitch for me to get him to bite on that then I’m all ears.

Those pens take at least 10 seconds to come close to the right temp, and the probe is so large that you can't do thin/delicate foods. You can test your current thermometer by dipping it in ice water and boiling water.

I have a classic thermapen and it's great, but if I had to buy another I would get the MK4. Better waterproofing and a AAA battery instead of a button battery. They often have refurb sales so sign up for their mailing list and you'll be able to get one at a discount before long.