Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nimper posted:

Google! Why gently caress everything up!?

uggggh why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

iTT we complain about UI changes while Google is in their "loving around" phase 8 months before they have final software.

Also, the FAR more offensive thing is the shaded dock area.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bull3964 posted:

iTT we complain about UI changes while Google is in their "loving around" phase 8 months before they have final software.

Also, the FAR more offensive thing is the shaded dock area.

I'm usually onboard with your posts but I don't think you can fault us for Google loving up UI choices.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

You're god drat right

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Shaded dock is good

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Talk about getting Google'd. I'm sticking with my Nexus 6p so I don't have to upgrade to that trash.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Charles posted:

The Nexus 6 line was designed to expire after a set lifespan.

My Nexus 6 is still going strong. :smug:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

Talk about getting Google'd. I'm sticking with my Nexus 6p so I don't have to upgrade to that trash.

Good luck with this approach.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Google just honing in on their days of having a clock in the status bar, homescreen and lockscreen.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Did they add any more messaging apps?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Classic Android: I set a timer in the stock Clock app and watched it count down all the way to -17 seconds before finally going off.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Classic Android: I set a timer in the stock Clock app and watched it count down all the way to -17 seconds before finally going off.

Have also seen this, annoying

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I saw a reminder flash on top and then disappear forever. I didn't dismiss it. Just lost in the abyss. Remembered why I rarely use them. Before that I was reminded something from 6 months ago

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Don't know what Google is doing, but notifications have been hosed for a while.

Last week, I didn't see an email my friend sent me about a job until my phone altered me 24 hours later.

This morning I got my first calendar notification in about a day and a half.

I have my calendar alert me both through a notification and an email, so I usually catch one of them, but I've had both fail before. It's kind of hard to trust.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

For all my problems with Google, I'm not having the described notification problems and I rely on reminders a lot and have had no problems.

Hangouts does decide to stop doing audible notifications if I ever go into Do Not Disturb and then later turn the volume back up. Have to reboot the phone to get them back.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
my notifications have been a bit all over the place, outlook seems to be the only reliable one. I'd say most apps give me notifications within 5 minutes but some emails haven't shown up til several hours after they should have

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I haven't had an issue with notifications in AGES on android.

I mean, there are times when I have all of my (way too many devices) on at full volume in my house and I'll get a hangouts message and I get like 7 simultaneous notifications across all devices.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

As a notch phone user I have no idea what the clock on the left is supposed to do, unless you're trying to move notifications closer to the notch area.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Mr. Despair posted:

As a notch phone user I have no idea what the clock on the left is supposed to do, unless you're trying to move notifications closer to the notch area.

Free up room for icons on the right

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

tbf it is fairly balanced looking when both sides approach full

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

strap on revenge posted:

my notifications have been a bit all over the place, outlook seems to be the only reliable one. I'd say most apps give me notifications within 5 minutes but some emails haven't shown up til several hours after they should have

Outlook has been reliable for me except for one day a few weeks ago when everything came in a few hours late. :shrug:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm already aroused.

Save all ur cum

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

It'd be nice if Google could design something courageous all by themselves, instead of microwaving Apple's leftover courage from last year. Again.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

It's not rocket science, what they're going to do is make the clock on the left, the status icons on the right and then they'll have a dedicated notification bar spanning the full width for notch devices below.

Why they can't make this device-configurable so it doesn't look like rear end on every normal device I don't know but you know that's how they're going to gently caress this up.

Also how much do you want to bet this means the Pixel 3 is going to have this dumb useless notched screen?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm already aroused.

Hope you like notches!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

LastInLine posted:

Also how much do you want to bet this means the Pixel 3 is going to have this dumb useless notched screen?

The Pixel 3 announcement will make fun of notches, the Pixel 4 will have a notch.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

The Pixel 3 announcement will make fun of notches, the Pixel 4 will have a notch.

It will also have a chin that is large enough that had it been at the top instead of the bottom there would have been enough room for all of the sensors, a better speaker, and FFC along with a regular screen.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

100% it'll be this heh

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Looks like S9 reviews are starting to come out. The Verge is... well, The Verge. The reviewer seems to miss the point of the dual aperture lens, as the video review shows him taking photos with each in a well-lit coffee shop, comparing the two, and concluding that he'll likely only ever use one mode because the photos were more or less identical.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

sleepwalkers posted:

Looks like S9 reviews are starting to come out. The Verge is... well, The Verge.

Pros:
- Very nice screen
- Great battery life, especially with battery saver enabled
- Best camera of any smart phone
Cons:
- Not an iPhone
- Not made by Apple

Conclusion:
You should probably buy an iPhone instead.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Edit : this isn't the path of exile thread :saddowns:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

spincube posted:

It'd be nice if Google could design something courageous all by themselves, instead of microwaving Apple's leftover courage from last year. Again.

Eh, this just allows a consistent behavior for what applications will do. Its not googles fault android phone developers are gonna copy apple. I dont see this as a bad thing for google to do.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Essential was first with the notch.

Android did it!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure Minecraft did the notch first

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

PerrineClostermann posted:

Now he's got friends! :unsmith:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Don Lapre posted:

They should have two clocks, one on each side

I miss the good old days.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

PerrineClostermann posted:

Proof the notch was already bad

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Essential was first with the notch.

Android did it!

It doesn't matter how many times something happens it's only innovative once apple does it

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Remember when face unlock was introduced in ice cream sandwich 2017 on the iphone x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Tbf the iphone x made that functional