Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ShaneB posted:

Yeah same. It's crazy to me that a contemporary rare can be $10+ as a 1-2of but then I look at CoBru...

Collective Brutality is one of those cards that every black deck wants to play, and can be upwards of a 4-of in some decks.

Pretty much every modal spell at 3 CMC and under in recent memory has been constructed playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I bought this [url="Rapiddominance Classic Military Messenger Bags, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007CRUBV2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_wNjOAbHNK4WAH"]bag[/url]5 years ago and used it for LGS and tournament trips, I like it, but use it for work now.

Before I buy another one does anyone have other suggestions? I think I prefer the shoulder strap over a backpack. Also a less floppy bag would be nice.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

Yeah same. It's crazy to me that a contemporary rare can be $10+ as a 1-2of but then I look at CoBru...

I could be talked into running 3 in GW Company in a removal-light meta, and I plan on trying 3 in Ponza once I get my BBEs. I got two in play at the same time against a mono-black devotion list a few weeks back and they completely took over the game.

CoBrus I fortunately picked up early, but I'm a dummy who hasn't been using them. I want to try a Grixis Control list and run them in the sideboard or something but I haven't found the right list to start from...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Collective Brutality is one of those cards that every black deck wants to play, and can be upwards of a 4-of in some decks.

I recommend not running upwards of 4 CoBrus in any deck

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Elyv posted:

What if I open 2 and am passed 3 more in an Eldritch Moon draft? :colbert:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I know, I know, I have to stop playing Legacy, but the old cards appeal to me so much more. I guess I just wish there was such a thing as Legacy where not every deck you play against is such a finely tuned killing machine. I want a rec league for 40 year olds, not the NBA playoffs.

Welcome to Pauper: legacy lite and the best format in Magic.*

*actually EDH is the best format but you get a bunch of angry nerd tears when you say that in this thread :colbert:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I can't get Mind Bend to work in MTGO. It only lets me change land types, not colors.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

vegetables posted:

I don't think there's any way to do a 249-card Dominaria set without really pissing someone or other who's very invested in all this off, which makes me think it might have been a mistake to do it as an anniversary set. But maybe they'll pull this off somehow!

(I do not expect them to pull this off somehow.)

Yeah this is what I'm worried about. The one set, uh... block? Means Dominaria doesn't get room to breathe. Not everyone's going to get what they want. It's also straight-up at the beginning of Wizards realizing they've been messing up bad re: Standard sets, meaning there could be some growing pains showing, which is a bad look for an important set like Dominaria.

The only promising thing I see about it so far is that Richard Garfield is on the design team, and he's given us some amazing sets like Ravnica and Innistrad.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Elyv posted:

I run 2 main and 2 sideboard in Dredge. :v:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So is this a deck in Masters 25?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Nettle Sentinel + Presence of Gond is not quite the combo you're looking for.

Crab + Retraction Helix is something to keep an eye out for though.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

This Painter Paladin deck is so much fun.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Matsuri posted:

Welcome to Pauper: legacy lite and the best format in Magic.*

*actually EDH is the best format but you get a bunch of angry nerd tears when you say that in this thread :colbert:

Because you're objectively and factually wrong. The best format is Cube.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

C-Euro posted:

I've been saying for a while that Tracker rules, but I haven't been listening to my own advice because I still only have two :( It kicks rear end in these GWx decks with KotR.

I mean it has a landfall trigger that just draws you cards. Like actual cards and not just “sort of” card draw. It and Courser are pretty awesome as an engine.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean it has a landfall trigger that just draws you cards. Like actual cards and not just “sort of” card draw. It and Courser are pretty awesome as an engine.

It and KoTR are even better :getin:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Jabor posted:

Nettle Sentinel + Presence of Gond is not quite the combo you're looking for.

Crab + Retraction Helix is something to keep an eye out for though.

None of it is any kind of infinite combo or anything, but you can still get multiple activations per turn which ain't nothing.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Some Numbers posted:

Because you're objectively and factually wrong. The best format is Cube.

i sure do love having to take anywhere from 20-30 minutes to get any sort of game started instead of just being able to sit down and play

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

After getting killed by a Painter's Servant/Grindstone deck I thought Painter's Servant and Northern Paladin could be a fun deck theme so I bought a playset. I was not wrong. Can't wait to try it again. Systematically destroying my friend's lands was fun and effective. I'm sure it's easily countered but whatever I had fun.

Should've used Southern Paladin instead so you can stuff Hydroblast and Blue Elemental Blast (and Flash Flood???) in there too.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

My preferred variant of that is Painter, Jaya Ballard, Red Blast, Pyroblast. With Squee for the discards, of course.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
*knocks your deck out of your hands* the best format is 60 card pick-up, get playin'

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

mandatory lesbian posted:

*knocks your deck out of your hands* the best format is 60 card pick-up, get playin'

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

Should've used Southern Paladin instead so you can stuff Hydroblast and Blue Elemental Blast (and Flash Flood???) in there too.

I have 4 of each, plus some other paladins and vesuvan doppelgängers

E: thanks to phone posting for some European flair in my post. Thanks for the tips, though, I will look into working those in.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 8, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Matsuri posted:

i sure do love having to take anywhere from 20-30 minutes to get any sort of game started instead of just being able to sit down and play

I bet you hate booster drafting too, don't you?

It's a shame, because that 20-30 minutes where you're "not playing" is way more interesting that sitting around not playing EDH because one person is comboing the table.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Oh my god we get it Magic is bad and there's no good way to play it.

Non-cube/X Masters draft is the 2nd worst way to play it though. Sealed is the worst.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The best way to play Magic is 4-player free for all Iconic Masters sealed, actually.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

suicidesteve posted:

Oh my god we get it Magic is bad and there's no good way to play it.

Non-cube/X Masters draft is the 2nd worst way to play it though. Sealed is the worst.

I can mention multiple booster draft formats that are quite good and Pauper's a great format too.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Some Numbers posted:

I bet you hate booster drafting too, don't you?

It's a shame, because that 20-30 minutes where you're "not playing" is way more interesting that sitting around not playing EDH because one person is comboing the table.

I'm not a fan of drafting, no. That was kind of soured for me when I went to Kaladesh prerelease and went against a guy who pulled a Mana Crypt Invention when I barely pulled anything worthwhile. That and it just takes loving forever.

At least you can heckle people who take too long in EDH and make them as miserable as they make you. Only happened once in my experience though.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

So is this a deck in Masters 25?

horseshoe crab/freed from the real shenanigans is almost certainly the most powerful thing you can do in the format at common/uncommon and i don't think anything else comes close

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Matsuri posted:

I'm not a fan of drafting, no. That was kind of soured for me when I went to Kaladesh prerelease and went against a guy who pulled a Mana Crypt Invention when I barely pulled anything worthwhile.

Holy gently caress what a baby.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Matsuri posted:

I'm not a fan of drafting, no. That was kind of soured for me when I went to Kaladesh prerelease and went against a guy who pulled a Mana Crypt Invention when I barely pulled anything worthwhile. That and it just takes loving forever.

At least you can heckle people who take too long in EDH and make them as miserable as they make you. Only happened once in my experience though.

thats kind of the fun of it tho, sometimes you get the mana crypt, the other times you get 6 copies of warp world in your sealed pool

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
prerelease inventions owned

i killed a guy with black vise

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

mandatory lesbian posted:

thats kind of the fun of it tho, sometimes you get the mana crypt, the other times you get 6 copies of warp world in your sealed pool

Sealed is just a fun thought exercise experiment that forces you to scale your draft expectations to something slightly different. It's a neat party trick

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Lone Goat posted:

Nah he is right limited sucks.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

You remember what I said about overexaggerating the emotions of other people just for the sake of riling them up? That's dumb and it just makes you look dumb.

I just didn't enjoy it so I don't want to play it. Christ.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"I'm not a fan of drafting because I played a totally different limited format once and didn't have fun" is honestly a pretty silly position.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Why, though? It's the randomness of it all that I don't care for. I like constructed, where I have the ability to bring what I want and like to the table.

And besides, I never said 'once'. I've played prerelease, I've played booster draft, I've played cube. It's not my thing. If you like it, more power to you.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 8, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Limited formats are the only good magic formats

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Except for the fact they exist solely to sell cards. There are plenty of drafting based boardgames that are better.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Matsuri posted:

Why, though? It's the randomness of it all that I don't care for. I like constructed, where I have the ability to bring what I want and like to the table.

And besides, I never said 'once'. I've played prerelease, I've played booster draft, I've played cube. It's not my thing. If you like it, more power to you.

That's cool, but if you've played a bunch of draft and didn't like it why not just say that to begin with? Leading off with "I don't like Draft because of this one thing that happened in a Sealed event" is honestly pretty strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

moush posted:

Except for the fact they exist solely to sell cards. There are plenty of drafting based boardgames that are better.

All mtg formats exist solely to sell cards