Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I have great appreciation of the NES musical works of Dave Wise with regards to Rare, but they’re really hit/miss in other regards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MyLifeInGaming/status/968661014853177344

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

My favourite Rare game is the first DKC. Come to think of it it's probably the only Rare game that I've finished to completion (without cheating).

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Does Jet FOrce Gemini hold up? Because drat that was a fun game.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

It's the Rare collectathon to end all collectathons.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

dishwasherlove posted:

Thats not necessarily a BAD thing honestly.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's..kinda of neat in ways. It might have the worst controls of any Rare game, though.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

dishwasherlove posted:

Worse than DK64?

DKC 2 is probably my favorite game, with the possible exception of Yoshi’s Island

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Jet Force Gemini absolutely does not hold up, even the XB1 version with revised controls is really awkward.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
When I was a kid battletoads and rc pro am were games that really stood out and put Rare on the map for me. While I still love rc pro am, I've grown to loathe the cheap difficulty of battletoads and while I can recognize that it is a technical masterpiece considering what they accomplished with the NES hardware both graphically and musically, I just can't stand playing it anymore.

I never owned a 16 bit console as a kid but friends had Genesis and super Nintendo consoles, and I'd moved on to PC gaming and eventually lots of 8 and 16 bit era console emulation. When the PlayStation hit I wasn't that impressed when comparing it to PC games, and then life poo poo happened and video games weren't an option for a few years. Once that stuff cleared up the Dreamcast was out, PCs had 3D accelerators that made the 3D games on the 32 bit era consoles look terrible, and at the time I hadn't been exposed to any of the 2D games of the era because they weren't marketed well (if at all) in the US. It's only been the last couple of years where I've really begun to experience the 2D games of that era through mod chips and playing import games and the N64 just didn't have many of those (NBA hangtime and mischeif makers... Any others?) So it never really captured my interest.

The classic N64 games all had terrible camera management and made playing things like Mario 64 a chore. There are a few exceptions like Doom 64 and Blast Corps but I can play Doom 64 on PC now with proper FPS controls and Blast Corps is on the Xbox One now if I want to play. 3D games became tolerable for me in the Dreamcast/PS2/GameCube/Xbox era.

I brought the 64 to work a few weeks ago to play with the guys during lunch (my team at work has quite a few retro gaming dudes) and while I could see the nostalgia in their enthusiasm it quickly waned when actually getting into the games and everyone wishing for dual analogs, less blur, coherent controls, and fewer compromises.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 8, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So when the SNES Classic came out, I had heard that people extracted the Star Fox 2 rom and were able to put it on reprocarts. I see them on ebay, and they're much pricier than any other bootleg/reprocart. Since Star Fox 2 was intended to run with the Super FX chip, how do the repro carts work? Do they run on real hardware? Did they have to gut the chip from legit game boards?

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

So when the SNES Classic came out, I had heard that people extracted the Star Fox 2 rom and were able to put it on reprocarts. I see them on ebay, and they're much pricier than any other bootleg/reprocart. Since Star Fox 2 was intended to run with the Super FX chip, how do the repro carts work? Do they run on real hardware? Did they have to gut the chip from legit game boards?

I don't think they gut it, I think they just flash the rom over what was there (so they can use less popular FX games and just call it a day).

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

It is more than likey a gutted up Stunt Race FX board.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, they gut the chips from other cartridges - Stunt Race FX is a popular choice due to price, but also Yoshi's Island, Doom and a couple others.

Nintendo should have put Stunt Race FX on SNES Classic while they're at it.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
the good pre-microsoft rare games are rc pro am, donkey kong country 2, blast corps, diddy kong racing, banjo kazooie and perfect dark. some of the rest are okay and most of the rest are dogshit

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

absolutely anything posted:

the good pre-microsoft rare games are rc pro am, donkey kong country 2, blast corps, diddy kong racing, banjo kazooie and perfect dark. some of the rest are okay and most of the rest are dogshit

I agree, though I think Banjo is poo poo

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh drat. I had a feeling it was something like that. Killing some old games for Star Fox 2 feels pretty skeezy.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm inclined to put Goldeneye in the "good Rare games" list, honestly. I had more fun in single-player with that one than I did Perfect Dark's single player, despite all the objective improvements the latter brings to the table.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

kirbysuperstar posted:

I agree, though I think Banjo is poo poo

banjo 1 is the only one of them i like because the levels and collectibles and stuff are at like, just the right size/amount/frequency for it to feel like there's a lot to do but not feel like awful tedious bullshit. then with dk64 they jumped off a cliff and with tooie they burrowed to the center of the fuckin earth

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm inclined to put Goldeneye in the "good Rare games" list, honestly. I had more fun in single-player with that one than I did Perfect Dark's single player, despite all the objective improvements the latter brings to the table.

i love goldeneye and it ruled at the time but like, as soon as perfect dark came out i kinda never went back. then time passed and was very unkind to it

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Detective No. 27 posted:

N64 is such an odd duck. Shovelware must have been too expensive to produce so it didn't get much, but it didn't matter because a lot of the library is pretty shoddy anyway. Nintendo better hone in on the multiplayer aspect when coming up with the eventual Classic lineup.
The top 20 or so games are super solid so they should be fine if they genuinely want twenty actually good games. Heck, it'd handle the rarity issues for some, too.

And I mean, that's not happening, like I'd bet money we wouldn't get all three of Mischief Makers, Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon and Harvest Moon 64, and those are definitely on my shortlist... but there's definitely 20 good games (Two of which are by Rare! Three if you really like Banjo-Tooie or Perfect Dark.)

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh drat. I had a feeling it was something like that. Killing some old games for Star Fox 2 feels pretty skeezy.

Eh, I think there will probably always be "enough" copies of Winter Gold, DOOM, and Yoshi's Island to satisfy collection completionists (what few new ones may even bother to pop up) and archivists needs. I would even wager that more carts will be lost to general failure, inventory disposal, natural disaster and the like than will ever be taken out for Star Fox 2 repros.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I don't think they gut it, I think they just flash the rom over what was there (so they can use less popular FX games and just call it a day).

I don't think the ROMs in Super Nintendo cartridges (or most cartridges) are rewriteable (EEPROMs or otherwise), they are probably mask ROMs. They likely just pop out/desolder the old ROM and replace it with a compatible one. There's probably a bin of a thousand ROMs of Winter Gold somewhere in China waiting for gold recovery.

Maybe one day someone will build an FPGA replacement, that would be pretty cool.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

absolutely anything posted:

i love goldeneye and it ruled at the time but like, as soon as perfect dark came out i kinda never went back. then time passed and was very unkind to it
I don't really agree, though. I first played Goldeneye properly, like, ten years ago or so, after numerous false starts (and certainly long after it was considered antiquated), and still had a blast with it.

Then I immediately went on to Perfect Dark, got annoyed at how many easy-to-instant-fail mission objectives there were for the easiest difficulty in the game, and abandoned just before the Air Force One stage. Between "no alarms" objectives or "use this bomb that enemy fire will prematurely detonate and lock you out of the final area of this map" or "okay you reached the final area of said map, now navigate to your target in this facility without any indication of where to go under this somewhat-strict time limit", it really wanted you to fail several times before you had any hope of passing various levels. Admittedly, I can't really say that's inherently bad game design - arcade games are built on that same trial-and-error motif, after all - but given how far into a stage you could be before the error and how each trial would require doing the whole thing from the top, it really wasn't what I was expecting at the time. Like, I know Goldeneye has a few of those too, but I don't recall many "no alarms" objectives on Agent, at least; infinite amounts of guards would spawn in, but you could still fight through them and successfully complete the mission regardless. You could learn the maps on Agent, where mission objectives were lax, and then use that knowledge on Secret Agent and 00 Agent where mission objectives were stricter. Not quite so much with Perfect Dark, where even Agent expects you to know where you're going.

Those were my initial impressions of PD, anyway. I think time's been a bit kinder to it than that, though, as I was revisiting it in a mouse-injector emulator and it was more tolerable for reasons beyond merely being able to aim better (this is without the use of save states, also, though I'm sure they'd also make things more tolerable) - presumably my memories of the map layouts that I'd seen by that point were a valuable asset (though clearly lacking in spots due to years passing since I'd put it down in frustration - I still only barely found Elvis in time). Revisiting Goldeneye in the same emulator... was still just as fun as ever, and I still kind of preferred its comparative simplicity.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

kynikos posted:

Does anyone have experience with those unofficial SATA network adapters for PS2? I know there is also a board you can add to an official network adapter to convert it to SATA. Can you simply hook it up to a computer to load games that can then be played via Free McBoot?

Last page but just wanted to say I replaced my 1st party ide adapter -> SD card chain of adapters for a bootleg sata network adapter from alibaba and haven’t looked back. It doesn’t have network capabilities but that’s okay, because it’ll read my 1TB sata drive just fine. Highly recommend.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

d0s posted:

N64 came out when I was in high school and while I don't have the same love for it the way I do with consoles I had when I was a kid like SNES or PCE/TG16 (or even something later like the Dreamcast) I do think it's a cool and unique system with some really fun games. I have to be in a really particular, nostalgic mood to play it though because it brings me back to that time in my life like nothing else. Without the rose tinted glasses I think it would be a bit harder to like though

e:

saaaame. though I loved blast corps and RC pro am on NES is good. I don't get the wild love the company gets though

I think collectathons are a lovely kind of game which exploit the same neural reward pathway that games like cookie clicker are based on to fool you into thinking you're having a good time, and Rare was all about collectathons. Donkey Kong Country was the only SNES game I ever sold as a kid because I was bored with it. I never played Goldeneye but honestly it looks like poo poo and Pierce Brosnan was a bad Bond. Those are my thoughts on Rare.

Other N64 games vary. Ocarina of Time is still good for the atmosphere and story but it has a lot of terrible parts like block pushing and bad camera angles and fetch quests and that chest opening cutscene for every goddamned chest and the water temple and fighting bats with the boomerang. It's all awkward and slow and nowhere near the best Zelda game like most people still claim it is for reasons I don't understand. All N64 games are so awkward. Even Harvest Moon 64 felt needlessly clumsy with the isometric angle instead of just top-down, it's like they wanted to make a nice 2D game but had to sex it up somehow by adding a 3D-ish camera angle.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 8, 2018

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

worthless. posted:

Last page but just wanted to say I replaced my 1st party ide adapter -> SD card chain of adapters for a bootleg sata network adapter from alibaba and haven’t looked back. It doesn’t have network capabilities but that’s okay, because it’ll read my 1TB sata drive just fine. Highly recommend.

What’s the benefit of network capability anyway? I need to do this and being able to use sata drives would be so handy that the network features would have to be really sweet to keep me from going that route

re N64: I probably love it because it was the only thing I played from ages 8-12, not really for ~nostalgia~ reasons but because I played it so much I don’t notice the obvious defects

Goldeneye multiplayer is fun for a few rounds max before the hokey controls get tiresome. On the other hand, Mario Parties 2-3 hold up really well, as do the Pokemon Stadium minigames

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, are we piling on Rare? Can we extend it to all of British gaming? Can't really blame how lovely they are, given that Nintendo forsook them and their idea of a computer was/is the zed ecks spectrum.

They gave us Worms: Armageddon, and that is their saving grace. :colbert:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Trans-LoafWithTail posted:

Oh, are we piling on Rare? Can we extend it to all of British gaming? Can't really blame how lovely they are, given that Nintendo forsook them and their idea of a computer was/is the zed ecks spectrum.

They gave us Worms: Armageddon, and that is their saving grace. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUTpumYboDs

Check out 1:16 especially

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
This thread sucks when it turns into "post your lovely negative opinions about games." Can we stop this dogpile from going any further? Some of these comments aren't even reasonable. All UK games are bad? DKC is bad because it's a collect-a-thon even though it's not? (DK64 was.) Goldeneye is bad, because I didn't play it, and don't care for the actor in the movie it was based on?

Please stop.

VVV: yep, that's exactly what i was saying, thanks for restating my argument in good faith.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 8, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

All games are perfect. No criticism allowed.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Cornflakes posted:

What’s the benefit of network capability anyway? I need to do this and being able to use sata drives would be so handy that the network features would have to be really sweet to keep me from going that route

re N64: I probably love it because it was the only thing I played from ages 8-12, not really for ~nostalgia~ reasons but because I played it so much I don’t notice the obvious defects

Goldeneye multiplayer is fun for a few rounds max before the hokey controls get tiresome. On the other hand, Mario Parties 2-3 hold up really well, as do the Pokemon Stadium minigames

With a working network connection you can load games over your network from a computer, but it’s really slow so I don’t recommend it. I think there’s also fan servers for some games.

N64:

It definitely suffered from 3D growing pains like the PS1, but let’s not forget the things it’s given us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7ok5AV7ZrM

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

xamphear posted:

This thread sucks when it turns into "post your lovely negative opinions about games." Can we stop this dogpile from going any further? Some of these comments aren't even reasonable. All UK games are bad? DKC is bad because it's a collect-a-thon even though it's not? (DK64 was.) Goldeneye is bad, because I didn't play it, and don't care for the actor in the movie it was based on?

Please stop.

VVV: yep, that's exactly what i was saying, thanks for restating my argument in good faith.

DKC was totally a collectathon. Most of the game is about collecting golden poo poo, golden bananas, golden animals which take you to boringass "bonus" rooms where you collect mountains of golden poo poo to get more lives.

Mario collects coins, but in a Mario game, it feels like those coins have some purpose for progressing in the game, they give you precious extra men for when you die, and the coins often indicate paths along which to jump or progress through the level. In a collectathon this relationship is reversed and the progression through a level feels like it's meant for collecting poo poo, lives in DKC are gratuitous and you'll get way more than you need, making most of the secrets feel rather pointless. Maybe it's not the worst collectathon but I thought it was a dull game overall, with ugly graphics.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

DKC was totally a collectathon. Most of the game is about collecting golden poo poo, golden bananas, golden animals which take you to boringass "bonus" rooms where you collect mountains of golden poo poo to get more lives.

Mario collects coins, but in a Mario game, it feels like those coins have some purpose for progressing in the game, they give you precious extra men for when you die, and the coins often indicate paths along which to jump or progress through the level. In a collectathon this relationship is reversed and the progression through a level feels like it's meant for collecting poo poo, lives in DKC are gratuitous and you'll get way more than you need, making most of the secrets feel rather pointless. Maybe it's not the worst collectathon but I thought it was a dull game overall, with ugly graphics.

Look man are you telling me a high performing gorilla like DK wouldn’t collect every banana he could? He needs that banana energy.

Real though I feel like collectathon generally refers to games where you’re just wandering around various worlds trying to find all 26 slightly secret whatever /(coins|bananas|stars)/g so I wouldn’t count DKC as that, since all you need to progress is to reach the end of the level, and everything else is just points/lives. DK64 Banjo Kazooie, and Mario 64 are that to verging degrees.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

DKC is definitely where the seeds were sown.

and then collected

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
DKC has lots of different pickups but it's not a collectathon and the placement of items definitely adheres pretty closely, if not exactly, to SMB design.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In DKC, many of the collectibles are an extra challenge to get. It's basically a player tuned difficulty slider.

And you get extra lives for every 100 bananas just like you get a 1up for every hundred coins in Super Mario games. That's not any different.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shibawanko posted:

the difference between DKC and collectathons is that you don't have to collect the stuff in DKC. you can totally just blast through to the end like it's a Mario game and you don't get a hosed up ending or anything, you just get bonuses and 100% completion for getting all the stuff.

the mark of a collectathon isn't "stuff to collect," imo, it's progression being gated behind that stuff. DKC is not a collectathon. Mario 64 is kinda-sorta one. DK64 and the Banjo games absolutely are.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

N64 is such an odd duck. Shovelware must have been too expensive to produce so it didn't get much, but it didn't matter because a lot of the library is pretty shoddy anyway. Nintendo better hone in on the multiplayer aspect when coming up with the eventual Classic lineup.

One of the big problems with the N64 was that producing carts in the amounts of memory required was phenomenally expensive at the time, I think at least some carts could have a production cost in the tens of dollars while Sony could pump out a multi-CD PS1 game for pennies. The PS1 had those $10 greatest hits titles which were unbelievable value while I think at least as far as MSRP was concerned, $30US was the floor for N64 games and I don't believe many got there.

Complicating its revisit is that basically every game on there that hasn't aged terribly has far better options to play them nowadays officially.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
PS1 discs weren't just cheaper to manufacture, you could also order much smaller production runs from Sony than you could from Nintendo. Incidentally, this is why the PS1 has so many weird, experimental low-budget games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

worthless. posted:

Was it this one? I'd like to replace my old IDE HDD with a SATA because <1 TB HDDs are dirt cheap right now.