Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

This looks better. Shallow metals, flux, no aqufer, and access to goblins. There's no elves, which is great a pity. The other biomes just have Deep Metal.

We might be a little short on water until we breach the cavern, but that can be dealt with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We should probably decide on a tileset to use, for continuity of viewing. It's a bit jarring when it changes with each overseer. I'm game for any of the popular ones, Phoebus or Spacefox being my preference.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

My competence drops severely with a tileset, since I can't tell what anything is by sight. That doesn't mean you're wrong. I'll look over the more recent threads to see what they used.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Gnoman posted:

My competence drops severely with a tileset, since I can't tell what anything is by sight. That doesn't mean you're wrong. I'll look over the more recent threads to see what they used.

Think going from ASCII to a tileset is ok

I get confused when two three tilesets start getting used with ASCII all being flipped and flopped about with each overseer

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I have a question for those of you who use the advfort dfhack plugin.

I'm playing Masterwork and found a bunch of large mithril armor in an orc fort. Can I use the smelter/forges at a dwarf fort to melt the armor and make gauntlets, chain leggings and a shield? Since those don't seem to be options for the stone forge chunk crafting.

Alternatively, how would I go about adding those reactions to the stone forge?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Gnoman posted:

Well when we brought this up a few months ago pretty much everybody said go with phoebus so thats what I set up the fortress package under. I'm an ASCII player normally but I got used to it after a few hours.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sounds like Phoebus then? I'm fine with that. Are the two of you going to collaborate on a background and maybe the first two overseer turns?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'm fine with whatever Gnoman wants to do. I had my ideas before they were put on the backburner pending bug fixes. Doesn't mean they were good ideas. Or that we needed a succession fortress with tower access and a world where I had made some tweaks and quick fortresses' prior to the succession fort (which is another thing I spent like 3 days doing) to establish some named characters that could show up.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

All I really care about is building a fort on a volcano.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The issue i've always had with volcano forts is how often I find that they're laggy, and you can't tap off of them without guaranteed killing a dwarf unlike the lava sea.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

The issue i've always had with volcano forts is how often I find that they're laggy, and you can't tap off of them without guaranteed killing a dwarf unlike the lava sea.

It is quite possible to tap a volcano without losing a dwarf. It isn't guranteed (due to dwarven stupidity), but it is doable.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who wishes to make the OP? What's our premise going to be? We should discuss this! Is there an IRC where dorf fort goons hang out?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

It is getting late enough (and I am drinking enough) that I won't be able to start the fort until tomorrow. If you or Gargantua want to go ahead and make the tread, that is fine with me.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

hell yea

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

M_Gargantua posted:

you can make a channel on the level directly above the highest lava layer

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can volunteer to make the OP and babysit the thread, but I don't want to steal the show from either of you with your plans for an initial fortress. I'm more than happy to be overseer #3 or later down the line.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Calm down, give it a day to marinade. We don't need it to go up tonight, but we can definitely flesh out the plan by friday.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I'm interested in being an overseer. I wonder how much of this game I remember...

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
make the thread I want to me a dorf diot

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Expect a thread on friday night so you can start claiming names of the dead. Gnoman whats your discord username?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:iit:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I can't be an overseer, but now that the positions can be recreated with ingame mechanics, I call dibs on my dorf being the Philosopher or Dungeon Master

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

Expect a thread on friday night so you can start claiming names of the dead. Gnoman whats your discord username?

I am Gnoman. I have a "holding pattern" discord set up here.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Gnoman posted:

All the more reason to use one then. Isn't the general consensus that DF community games are more fun when mistakes are made?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New community fortress is up! "Valleysilences" at the Volcano of Torments, using v 0.45.05, embarking on the side of a volcano next to a terrifying grassland.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Yessssssss ground floor. I actually did a turn as Overseer on another forum's community fort, so maybe I'll sign up for this one as well after a few turns.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Addamere posted:

New community fortress is up! "Valleysilences" at the Volcano of Torments, using v 0.45.05, embarking on the side of a volcano next to a terrifying grassland.

It's outdated already!

https://twitter.com/Bay12Games/status/972275605541539841

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
welp

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Seems like a good chunk of new things

:frogsiren: posted:

03/09/2018 Toady One Here's the first substantial update to the fortress's world map screen. New raid options are available, and it shouldn't be hard for you to antagonize your neighbors now if that's what you want to do. Use the 'd'etails option when preparing the raid to set what sorts of actions you'd like your raiders to perform. Skills and equipment matter, and skills can be improved during missions. The skill of your best tactician is important (you'll see feedback in the mission report.) If you demand tribute on an ongoing basis and the target site agrees to your demands, you'll receive something like a merchant caravan on an annual basis a few seasons after the initial demand. They'll drop goods off at your depot and depart. These goods can be carried off immediately for storage, but there's a new report so you can look at a complete list of what was delivered; the same is true of spoils from raids.

A few notes on the bug fixes below: the identity fixes won't stop bad feelings from existing conflicts in old saves. Also in old saves, distracted animals might still appear to be broken at first, but they should sort themselves out after a bit.

New stuff

Can pillage and raze and demand tribute from other sites
Dwarves on missions can now can gain skills
Military tactics skill is now gained and matters in off-site battles

Major bug fixes

Fixed several problems causing the meeting queue to get gummed up
Made monster-type critters and non-monster-type critters have proper hostile again
Allowed people in the same squad to know each other's identities
Made scribe copy job cancel properly to free up materials
Fixed calculation of available writing materials in library

Other bug fixes/tweaks

Various speed tweaks
Made clean job work inside and on outdoor constructions
Made clean jobs continue to nearby tiles
Made drunkenness make you less private instead of more private and fixed a typo there
Made dwarven adventurers experience trances properly
Made non-historical populations defend sites post w.g.
Made off-site raid stealth success depend on site
Fixed broken flags on merchant historical event
Stopped dwarves being dragged to cages/chains from trying to clean the floor
Stopped live generals from being elevated from zombie populations
Stopped animals from developing need for alcohol after experiencing trauma
Stopped unintelligent creatures associated to civilizations, like domestic animals, from worshipping gods when given historical status
Stopped animals from revealing the location of artifacts to questers
Stopped animals from forming grudges and other chat-based relationships
Sped up legends loading in high-artifact worlds
Stopped rooting around in the dirt from resetting path
Fixed issue causing certain older army units from not appearing
Fixed a few errors with abstract skill calculation for armies
Reconciled bandit's map and in-play valuations of opponent strength to stop aborted ambushes
Disallowed certain flying/swimming/visual/projectile/attack moves involving half-stairways
Made branches/twigs burning over walls leave behind a floor properly

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we'll play with incorporating it into the LP, gonna test to see how much work is necessary to make it compatible with current save and DFhack

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dwarf Fortress 2017: Animals no longer worship gods

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

"Stopped animals from developing need for alcohol after experiencing trauma" How are they going to cope now?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I literally can't wait to bully some goblins

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have never manually tried to install TWBT or mess with it, and of course the readme doesn't tell me such simple and useful information as where to put the files.

Someone wanna hold my hand?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah they really need to add the install instructions to the readme, that was driving me bananas some time ago. It doesn't help that there's a couple tilesets included already but not properly sorted into files or mentioned in the readme, so basically there's a bunch of extra stuff in there to confuse things.

Assuming DFHack is installed properly (just in case: should be just take contents of the archive and drop them into your Dwarf Fortress folder), and your versions are all correct:

From the TWBT.zip,
- Take the .dll files and paste them into hack\plugins (mousequery should already be in there, let it overwrite the old one)
- Take the overrides.txt and paste into data\init
- Take the .png files and paste into data\art (I know you need the shadows.png, not sure about the transparency or white ones though but better safe than sorry)

Go to data\init and open the init.txt, change the PRINT_MODE to TWBT, so it will look like: [PRINT_MODE:TWBT]

Note that most tilesets come with their own init.txt to facilitate easy drag and drop installs, so just be aware that the changes to print mode will be overwritten if you do that and you gotta go change it again or the plugin won't be activated.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 10, 2018

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah they really need to add the install instructions to the readme, that was driving me bananas some time ago. It doesn't help that there's a couple tilesets included already but not properly sorted into files or mentioned in the readme, so basically there's a bunch of extra stuff in there to confuse things.

Assuming DFHack is installed properly (just in case: should be just take contents of the archive and drop them into your Dwarf Fortress folder), and your versions are all correct:

From the TWBT.zip,
- Take the .dll files and paste them into hack\plugins (mousequery should already be in there, let it overwrite the old one)
- Take the overrides.txt and paste into data\init
- Take the shadows.png and paste into data\art

Go to data\init and open the init.txt, change the PRINT_MODE to TWBT, so it will look like: [PRINT_MODE:TWBT]

Note that most tilesets come with their own init.txt to facilitate easy drag and drop installs, so just be aware that the changes to print mode will be overwritten if you do that and you gotta go change it again or the plugin won't be activated.

Thanks so much for this writeup!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Addamere posted:

Thanks so much for this writeup!

Sure - I made a small change regarding the .png files as I'm not actually sure if you just need the shadows.png still or if with the new updates you also need the white1px and transparent1px files. I doubt it but not sure and they're tiny so might as well throw them in there.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I needed to put at least the white1px file for it to run. Best to put all the PNGs in.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

New version came out just in time, old fort was being annoying as there was very little animals and the goblins rarely came. I sent out some raids and one went wrong and a dwarf got captured. Sent multiple raids to save him but all the mission reports were blank. Hopefully that was just a bug that won't be repeated in the newest version!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless