Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I NEED THIS PATTERN WITH A MIGHTY NEED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
There are so many nerd patterns, like I'm pretty sure a third of the patterns on ravelry are various nerd poo poo. You should get on that if that's your thing!

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Ringwraith Stole is pretty too. I'm a Classics nerd/geek crossover, so anything that references Classical history gives me a nerd-boner. Rhea Silvia is the best one I've come across so far, but I never wear it :(.

ETA: added links.

left_unattended fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 16, 2018

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

left_unattended posted:

Ringwraith Stole is pretty too. I'm a Classics nerd/geek crossover, so anything that references Classical history gives me a nerd-boner. Rhea Silvia is the best one I've come across so far, but I never wear it :(.

ETA: added links.

I'm actually spinning for an Evenstar shawl too, speaking of Susan Pandorf - well, by 'spinning' I do mean that I started spinning for it last summer and then put the whole thing in a bag in the closet for the last several months. But it's in the mental queue. Ugh I should start working on that again.

That stole is gorgeous!

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Evenstar is one of my FAVOURITES. Have you seen the Evenstar Dress?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

left_unattended posted:

Evenstar is one of my FAVOURITES. Have you seen the Evenstar Dress?

Oh yes, I've been pretty much drooling over half the completed projects on Rav for like years at this point. I can't stand how jealous I am of the dress lady!

It would not look that good on me.

I've also considered converting it from a full circle to a cape - there's a free pattern for changing it - but that would mean knitting it flat. :O

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
Omg it would make the most amazing cape. But all that purling :cry:

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Steek it. :unsmigghh:

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Am I the only human on earth who enjoys purling a lot

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Purling across the back of a shawl is nice and relaxing after all the complicated lace.

Unless you're crazy enough to do something that's lace on both sides, but if you're doing that you knew what you were getting into.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

MarsDragon posted:

Unless you're crazy enough to do something that's lace on both sides, but if you're doing that you knew what you were getting into.

This just gave me palpitations

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

elise the great posted:

Am I the only human on earth who enjoys purling a lot

No, I knit Continental *radiates smugness"

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
It's not really that I mind purling so much, but knitting around and never having to turn is just that much easier.

Either is a lot less likely to result in heart failure than steeking slippery laceweight yarn though. How would you hide the ends?

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Okay am I the only throwing fiend who STILL enjoys purling? Also I’m so bad at continental it’s humiliating

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I think online a lot of agita gets built up around things that are pretty innocuous. I throw and I couldn't care less about knitting vs. purling. Another thing people similarly freak out about is cabling. It's fine, it's gonna be fine, you are not gonna stab yourself to death with your needles.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
Eh, I'm not afraid of much when it comes to knitting, I adore cables and lace, I'm knitting a stranded colourwork cowl rn, but I'm not a big fan of purling. I just find it awkward.

I'm teaching myself continental with this cowl and it's going alright so far, but my left-hand yarn stitches are coming out twisted. I know why, and I know how to fix it, I just find it easier to pick up the yarn that way. Does anyone else have this problem? It won't matter if I untwist the stitches on the next row, will it? It looks ok so far.

Pheasant Revolution
Dec 26, 2006

stitchin is bitchin
Not a problem at all. I've knitted entire sweaters twisting on the purl row and untwisting on the knit row. Actually, first project I ever knit I didn't know you could twist a stitch, knitted a big piece of it in stockinette with all of the knit stitches twisted. Looked great, just different. Consistency is key, even if you don't untwist the stitches.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

left_unattended posted:

Eh, I'm not afraid of much when it comes to knitting, I adore cables and lace, I'm knitting a stranded colourwork cowl rn, but I'm not a big fan of purling. I just find it awkward.

I'm teaching myself continental with this cowl and it's going alright so far, but my left-hand yarn stitches are coming out twisted. I know why, and I know how to fix it, I just find it easier to pick up the yarn that way. Does anyone else have this problem? It won't matter if I untwist the stitches on the next row, will it? It looks ok so far.

If you are twisting them by purling "down," that's how I do it all the time and it's fine. Like Pheasant Revolution, I've done entire sweaters this way. Untwist by knitting/purling through the backloop, rearrange things as necessary for increases and decreases.

It's worth it to figure out how to purl both ways, imo, because with practice, it'll be faster to purl so you don't twist stitches vs untwisting stitches for increases/decreases. So when I purl long rows of stockinette, I purl down--twisting the stitches, but if there is a pattern where I need to k2tog a lot, I'll (try to) purl those "correctly," so there is no twist, because you can't k2tog through the backloops and get a right leaning decrease. As far as I can tell, you have to rotate the stitches and then do the decrease.

Using both purl approaches is also useful in 2x2 and bigger ribbing, when with normal purls, the left-most knit stitch gets all stretched out, and with down purls, the right-most knit stitch gets the same way. So my 2x2 ribbing is k2, purl down, purl up.

If no one knows wtf I mean by purling down/up in continental, I can try to explain it better.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I don't hate purling. What I do hate is switching back and forth as a thrower! I'll do miles of purl no problem, but give me 1x1 rib and it'll take so long and I'll complain about it constantly.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

effika posted:

I don't hate purling. What I do hate is switching back and forth as a thrower! I'll do miles of purl no problem, but give me 1x1 rib and it'll take so long and I'll complain about it constantly.

That's exactly why I learned to knit Continental, actually. I can't stand switching back and forth.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

I started a mid-size 2x2 rib project a while back in hopes of figuring out how to purl down/up by sheer practice. I stalled out because it’s miserably boring though.

Right now I have so little mental bandwidth and time for knitting that I’m just making a big feather & fan stole, and I’ve discovered that the back-purling row goes SO FAST. It just flies off my dang needles in a way that even straight knit doesn’t. I guess it’s just the mechanics of my hands and needles— it feels like I’m using fewer motions.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Am I weird in that I like moving the yarn around when switching stitches? I made a skirt that was entirely linen stitch last year and found it very meditative to wrap all the stitches.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

keyboard vomit posted:

Am I weird in that I like moving the yarn around when switching stitches? I made a skirt that was entirely linen stitch last year and found it very meditative to wrap all the stitches.

I think process-oriented knitters probably enjoy it more, where product-oriented knitters are probably more annoyed by it. I don't mind it terribly when I'm doing linen stitch since it's part of the stitch, but I always knit english in one hand and continental in the other when I knit stranded or double. I'm very product-oriented.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

keyboard vomit posted:

I love linen stitch! I can do it on autopilot. Not having to make a purl stitch makes the movement of the yarn a part of the overall knit stitch.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

effika posted:

I love linen stitch! I can do it on autopilot. Not having to make a purl stitch makes the movement of the yarn a part of the overall knit stitch.

This was worked flat, so I was still purling.

Makes for a nice wraparound with interesting lines

Pattern is https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/akimbo-skirt

Pheasant Revolution
Dec 26, 2006

stitchin is bitchin
As a person who bikes a lot that scarf pin is giving me a conniption.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
Thanks for the reassurance. Have a terrible cell pic of what I'm working on! Pātiki Cowl with hat to follow.

left_unattended fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 21, 2018

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

left_unattended posted:

Thanks for the reassurance. Have a terrible cell pic of what I'm working on! Pātiki Cowl with hat to follow.

daaaaamn that's looking good, your tension is so even. Dat stitch definition doe

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
Thank you! It's merino/silk and I was worried it would be too slippery for stranding, but touch wood *knocks on head* it's going well. God help me, if it turns to poo poo when I block it I will throw the biggest tantrum.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

left_unattended posted:

Thank you! It's merino/silk and I was worried it would be too slippery for stranding, but touch wood *knocks on head* it's going well. God help me, if it turns to poo poo when I block it I will throw the biggest tantrum.

I'm sure if you're gentle with it, it will be fine. It's quite nice as is, will you even need to do more than lay it flat and mist it with water?

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
I don't think so. I don't want to block it too much because the ribbing is already looking so much looser than the body. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I conquered my fear of DPNs and knit a pair of socks!!

(Please excuse the awkward photo, my webcam is the only camera I have at the moment)

I used this beginners sock pattern and gotta say... they're not terribly comfortable. I misunderstood the last part of the pattern and knit an extra round on the end of the first sock, so it's got a weird stub at the end, and I ran out of yarn at the toe of the second sock so I had to use white of a very slightly different thickness.

But I did it! It was certainly something to get used to though, the first couple rows felt like I had needles pointing everywhere.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Killingyouguy! posted:

(Please excuse the awkward photo, my webcam is the only camera I have at the moment)

I used this beginners sock pattern and gotta say... they're not terribly comfortable. I misunderstood the last part of the pattern and knit an extra round on the end of the first sock, so it's got a weird stub at the end, and I ran out of yarn at the toe of the second sock so I had to use white of a very slightly different thickness.

But I did it! It was certainly something to get used to though, the first couple rows felt like I had needles pointing everywhere.

Good job!! The thicker yarn definitely doesn't help comfort, but for a first pair, thicker yarn is much easier to follow and you don't have as many stitches to deal with. Now you're ready to do more~

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.

Killingyouguy! posted:

It's a lot easier the more you do; the thinner yarn (sock yarn) makes a lighter fabric and I like it better for comfort. Also if you feel a little overwhelmed with all DPNs, I can't sing the praises of Magic Loop technique enough! There's a great step-by-step tutorial on YouTube by haalu that i used when I made my first pair and it was a great introduction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9ZiLJvHQfY

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
Seconding magic loop. I still find DPNs awkward, and vastly prefer magic loop. I was nervous about it at first but it's so much easier. Just make sure you have a nice long circ.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Otoh, I hate magic loop and find it awkward no matter how long or flexible my cable needle. Ymmv, but it's definitely worth trying out.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I'd like to try magic loop, but the cheap circulars I have make it impossible. Does anybody have a suggestion for a pair that is affordable? The ones I've looked at are kind of pricey.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Before I found the strength to pick up DPNs, I'd heard of magic loop, so I bought a circular needle, not realising you needed an extra-long one to manage that technique.

So now I have a regular-length circular I have no use for. :sigh: What does one even make ordinarily with a circular needle? It seems to me that you'd be stuck knitting projects of a very particular circumference?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You can use them like straights! You can do a traveling loop thing I think. You can get another one the same size (of any length) and knit things of varying sizes in the round that way, even two at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

You can use them like straights! You can do a traveling loop thing I think. You can get another one the same size (of any length) and knit things of varying sizes in the round that way, even two at a time.

They also make nice stitch holders for things like top-down sweater sleeves or provisional cast on.

Traveling loop is pretty easy and I even discovered it on own before consulting the internet about it (I bet a lot of others did too).