Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
"We can't shrink the node anymore" is bad. But that's not the problem that we're facing.

The problem that the industry is facing is "We can't shrink the node anymore on SILICON."

Honestly, it's amazing that we've even managed to get to this point on the one single element since the beginning of the semiconductor era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

There's a new BIOS out for the X370 Taichi that contains a new AGESA. It appears to do little else but update the microcode on Raven Ridge to support IBPB instructions for Spectre V2 mitigation.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If GloFo finally get it together when their contractual tiedown with AMD ends that will confirm comedy timeline instead of darkest timeline

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh, 5GHz. That old chestnut again.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Do memory timings affect infinity fabric performance, or only clocks?

Both:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6yp7Pi39Z8

TL; DR - Clock Speed is the biggest increase, but depending on the timing of the RAM (for example, 3200 CL14 vs 3600 CL16) results can be quite close.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

"We can't shrink the node anymore" is bad. But that's not the problem that we're facing.

The problem that the industry is facing is "We can't shrink the node anymore on SILICON."

Honestly, it's amazing that we've even managed to get to this point on the one single element since the beginning of the semiconductor era.

I mean, using something that's not silicon requires reinventing everything we know about manufacturing doesn't it? That's a tall order

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Not necessarily. The industry has been working on drop-in silicon replacements like SiGe, SiC, SiGa, BP, and most recently InGaAs and GaN for almost a decade now.

Intel has said, at various points in the past ten years, and as recently as 2015, that they will be moving away from silicon at their 7nm node.

Whether or not they can *get* to that 7nm node, and how long it takes them to actually get there, is an entirely different slice of cake, but it's not like the entire industry hasn't put any thought into this whatsoever.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

NewFatMike posted:

If GloFo finally get it together when their contractual tiedown with AMD ends that will confirm comedy timeline instead of darkest timeline
They can still have GF chips, just that the contractually mandated purchase is over.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

NewFatMike posted:

Darkest timeline:
Gloflo achieve 5ghz+
Intel buy them.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
AMD's latest marketing is blowing right by cringe and back into hilarious.

You can tell it's authentic by the way it is.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
That unironically owns

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Serious Hardware / Software Crap › AMD CPU and Platfrom Discussion: THE MONSTER TRUCK OF COMPUTING

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

repiv posted:

Serious Hardware / Software Crap › AMD CPU and Platfrom Discussion: THE MONSTER TRUCK OF COMPUTING

Im going to have to rethink my Ryzen 2 upgrade if I can get a monster truck branded TR+ system built.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Nine of Eight posted:

Im going to have to rethink my Ryzen 2 upgrade if I can get a monster truck branded TR+ system built.
If they make a Case with Rubber wheels and a monster truck body to hold all the components I'm buying it.

I've never bought anything with LEDs in my life and prefer very business looking items. I'd get the monster truck, though. Or a case that looks like a bear.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wirth1000 posted:

That unironically owns

They don't give the faintest gently caress at all. It does own.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Whoever does marketing for Threadripper needs to just do all of AMDs marketing holy poo poo.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
You mean like a 6 year old (that knows PPT)?

I love it

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Aren't monster trucks just show trucks really. Oversized for effect not performance? Really, monster trucks are the biggest over compensation trucks a man can buy.

quote:

You are now banned from r/AyyMD and r/AMD

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 9, 2018

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
gently caress YES I can’t wait for my monster truck cpu!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I cannot wait for lovingly rendered frog mech pilots on TR4 coolers

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

NewFatMike posted:

I cannot wait for lovingly rendered frog mech pilots on TR4 coolers

lol

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Well, what are those new platform features on Castle Peak?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I got a Coolermaster HAF XB EVO and if that's not the perfect monster truck case to put a monster truck CPU I don't know what is.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Well, what are those new platform features on Castle Peak?

it drives over cars real good x

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Meltdown?
We only ROLL COAL #amd

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Nine of Eight posted:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
https://slickdeals.net/f/11353655-a...9-free-shipping

mother of GOD

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Must... resist...

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

You can tell it's authentic by the way it is.

You are the biggest stick in the mud when it comes to anything threadripper dude lighten up

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Cut him some slack, another security researcher just came out with a paper dealing with Spectre exploits in Intel's Software Guard Extensions.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I was actually serious about it being hilarious, I'd rather have "the monster truck of computing" than the "radeon rebellion". The latter is cringey for me, the former is obviously not taking itself seriously at all.

The metaphor of a monster truck kinda fits anyway given the abnormally large package. (:quagmire:)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 10, 2018

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

The metaphor of a monster truck kinda fits anyway given the abnormally large package. (:quagmire:)
Can do cool things a normal car can't. You're never going to do those things, but there's no debate that it could do them.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Khorne posted:

Can do cool things a normal car can't. You're never going to do those things, but there's no debate that it could do them.

While we're on this metaphor, need I remind people that Infiniband QDR 40 GbE cards are like $30 a pop, and cables are like $10 a pop? You don't even need a switch necessarily, you can do a direct/crossover connection with a standard cable. Those adapters have 2 ports per card, so you can connect up to 3 machines in a triangle, or daisy-chain additional machines. And if you do need a switch, we're talking like $175, not $600 like a 8-port 10Gbase-T switch. Runs longer than 7m get expensive, but for that throughput you could probably afford to put the machines next to each other, right?

The NAS to back it up at full crazypants 800 MB/s transfer rate with 64 TB of raw storage is only like another $1300... wouldn't you like to boot that other machine you use from your own personal SAN?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 10, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I can shovel 1.8GB/s over my 40GbE connection. I wish Microsoft wouldn't be a dick and support iSER and SRP, or help Samba implementing RDMA, then it could be potentially up to 6GB/s

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Oh sure, I'm just talking raw HDD throughput here. If you have NVMe backing it up with cache/direct storage it can be a lot faster.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The actual dumb thing is that since I didn't have NVMe onboard my gaming rig, and I wasn't willing to commit to my steam drive being a virtual device on the NAS, my main HDD was the bottleneck. I still found my IB 40 GbE NIC very useful... it could deliver whatever I asked of it, drive speeds over the network, but I could also be dumping something from my older NAS to the newer one over the ethernet at the same time.

Potentially, if you only have one or two HDDs in your rig, you could do that with Gigabit too, if your mobo has dual NICs or you can add an adapter card. Having a dedicated channel between your main rig and your NAS actually owns pretty hard. Probably not cheaper than IB these days, but maybe more flexible.

All it took was adding a hosts mapping on my gaming rig that said that traffic to the NAS should resolve to a 10.0.x address while my 1Gbase-T network resolves to 192.168.x. And vice versa for the NAS. They can coexist on regular gbit ethernet while also having their own private device-to-device host mapping.

And there is no problem doing this on 10 Gbase-T or 10GbSFP either, you just need a NIC and a cable (crossover for 10GbaseT, the cable I linked above for SFP). You can buy the NICs now (how about that X399 Fatal1ty board with the onboard NIC) and have your dedicated 10 GbE NAS channel now, and have your future 10Gbase-T network upgrade set as well. You can get 10 Gbase-T NICs for about $100-150 a pop iirc.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 10, 2018

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

The actual dumb thing is that since I didn't have NVMe onboard my gaming rig, and I wasn't willing to commit to my steam drive being a virtual device on the NAS

I hadn't thought about doing this. What kind of bottlenecks might you encounter - I imagine local network bandwidth wouldn't be saturated by RAID even on not-cutting-edge home networks.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

That reminds me that I won an AMD-branded remote control Dodge Viper car at GDC around 2005 for answering a technical question in a session. Things haven't changed, AMD still got that VROOOM!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Glofo news: Sanjay Jha is stepping down as CEO, Thomas Caulfield is taking over in his place. https://www.globalfoundries.com/news-events/press-releases/following-significant-technology-capacity-and-expansion-milestones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

CapnBry posted:

AMD-branded remote control Dodge Viper car

Please post a photo if you can. I want that!