Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Here's a cute little romcom about an office lady and her coworker.

I Want to Tease my Pretty Boss - slice of life, romance, 4koma, comedy, seinen

Ira Megumi's a workaholic, to the expense of all else. Aoki Shun's a carefree, mischievous new employee, and after a night out drinking with the new hires, Megumi wakes up next to him in her bed. Shenanigans ensue, of the worksafe variety, and by chapter 4, they've begun dating. Has a very cute artstyle and works well within the 4koma framing, but still has a consistent story to it rather than being made mostly if not entirely of gag strips like many 4koma.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I almost forgot to make a post about this, but Humble Bundle has an absolutely insane Attack On Titan bundle available right now, for a few more days. For 18 bucks you get all 22 current volumes, an artbook, a guidebook, and a bunch of side spinoff series you can very safely ignore(especially Before The Fall).

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/attack-on-titan-books

It is absolutely worth the purchase, AOT has gotten unbelievably good as of late, I thought it was pretty strong throughout, but once they got to the basement, poo poo got real. One of the best and most worthy buildups in a series I can remember.

Plus, you support the ACLU with your purchase, and with the poo poo republicans have been trying to pull lately, they need all the funding they can get.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hell yes, I'll check that out shortly. :cheers:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
gently caress ya I'm getting that for sure!

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Wow that's insane. If I wasn't so against amassing physical media in my not so big flat I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

sharktamer posted:

Wow that's insane. If I wasn't so against amassing physical media in my not so big flat I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Those are digital e-books though?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, Humble Bundles are rarely ever physical media, except for really high tiers of occasional bundles.

Unrelated to manga, but they've also got a somewhat nerdy cookbook bundle with a crapload of recipe books that might interest some. I got a bundle as part of a birthday gift for my mom, since she loves interesting cooking recipes.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like how the first volume of Chew is included in that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The day I bought my Surface and loaded up one of my Comixology purchases was the day that physical media died in my life forever. Comics look absurdly pretty on a good tablet screen.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The day I bought my Surface and loaded up one of my Comixology purchases was the day that physical media died in my life forever. Comics look absurdly pretty on a good tablet screen.

Going from reading Dungeon Meshi by not entirely legal means on my desktop monitor to a tiny manga trade format was a little annoying. I get why they published them in that small size to begin with, when you got a 20 volume series space gets to be a premium, but I'd like it if more got published like Akira in full sized pages.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'll keep buying them, but it's almost a disservice to read Inio Asano's works in the tiny manga dimensions that the physical books come in.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

ryonguy posted:

Going from reading Dungeon Meshi by not entirely legal means on my desktop monitor to a tiny manga trade format was a little annoying. I get why they published them in that small size to begin with, when you got a 20 volume series space gets to be a premium, but I'd like it if more got published like Akira in full sized pages.

The physical books that they're first printed in (Like Shonan Jump) are huge phone book size monstrocities.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Anora posted:

The physical books that they're first printed in (Like Shonan Jump) are huge phone book size monstrocities.

I know. Which is why it's odd they rarely publish collections of individual series in those dimensions. In the US, trades are usually the same size as the original issues.

also I want to read Monstrocities, sounds like a kick rear end kaiju police procedural.

ryonguy fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 28, 2018

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Fellis posted:

Those are digital e-books though?

Oh right, that's kinda obvious now that I actually give it some thought :downs:. This changes everything!

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Just finished all there is translated (and I think published) of Silver Spoon, and augh I want more. Also wanted the high school days to not go by so fast I'm reliving my youth vicariously don't make it so fleeting and true to reality goddamn it.

Adult Illiteracy
Oct 10, 2012
Hey team, I've got a friend looking for visual inspiration in horror comics. I've mostly read western stuff and felt comfortable making recommendations there, and obviously mentioned Junji Ito, but I'm also recalling two other manga or manga-styled comics that really left an impact even if I've forgotten the author.

One was like a paneled comic, but each panel was revealed to actually contain the detached body parts/enormous head/ multiple clones as if it were a large room/apartment complex. They get out and crawl around? Did I dream this?

The other is an artist with a hyperviolent style that struggled with schizophrenia, I believe - I mostly remember the impression of the intense gaze of the characters, and some fairly shocking (even to a relatively desensitized palate) and explicit violence. Somebody said it may be suehiro maruo but I'm not seeing any panels I recognize.

Either of these ring a bell? Much appreciated.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The first one sounds like Shintaro Kago to me.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I'm not big into horror but Franken Fran made me feel ill sometimes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Franken Fran was decent, it was a little aimless at times and kinda went for the bad end for its various stories just for the sake of it at times, but boy howdy some of those stories were really, really good(and suitably horrific)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I feel like the mangaka got off the BAD END train once Veronica was introduced. Some stories still sucked, but not to a ridiculous extent.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

brainwrinkle posted:

The first one sounds like Shintaro Kago to me.

You are correct, the title is "Abstraction"
https://didjelirium.wordpress.com/2011/02/19/abstraction-by-shintaro-kago/

:nws:

Ugenesis
May 1, 2003
Is there a good iPad app for reading these or does it have to be thru the browser?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I like mangarock.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Here's a surprisingly great new series. It's an isekai, or alternate-world series, where a person is reincarnated or otherwise transported to a world apart from their own, often the world of a game, or a fantasy world, or sometimes the reverse, or something like that. It's all the rage these days, with terrible examples in Overlord, Gate, and Shield Hero, and some excellent examples in Konosuba, Devil Is A Part-Timer, Re:Zero, World Customize Creator, etc.

The title is a bit of a mouthful, the length makes me think it originated as a light novel, which are notorious for absurdly long titles. It's "Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shite shimatta...", translated to "I Reincarnated into an Otome Game as a Villainess With Only Destruction Flags...", though a good shorthand for it is "Death Flag Heroine". It's about a gaming girl from our world who, on the very first page of the manga, is killed in a car accident and reincarnated into the body of Katarina Claes, a noble 8-year-old girl in some medieval setting. Upon hitting her head on a rock, she suddenly recalls the entire 17-year-old life she led in the normal world, and also recalls that in this world she is in, she, Katarina Claes, is the villainess who torments the heroine of the game, and who, in every single ending no matter who the heroine goes with, Katarina inevitably winds up exiled or killed. With this knowledge of the game's story routes, the young girl begins to make plans to either avoid a murderous end or if exiled, learn some worthwhile skills she can use to make a living with.

It's very cute and funny. No fanservice whatsoever. A nice, chill take on the isekai genre.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 27, 2018

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
I'm getting a little burnt out on the otaku pandering stuff. This is about the tenth "mc knocked on head/some other contrived incident, winds up in video game" I've seen.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
That's literally the entire genre of Issekai.

People talk highly of RE:ZERO for being an original take but, in the end, it turns into the same thing as every single other one. I thought Now and Then, Here and There did the "Gets transported to a magical world that's not very nice" much better, but that's also way, way on the other side of the scale.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
It's not always "nerd into game" though. Just a lot of them.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I thought isekai was specifically for settings that worked on game rules. Like, Konosuba, SAO, Overlord, those are isekais; but Escaflowne isn't even though it's about a person sent to a fantasy world.

Is isekai a more general term? I know it means 'other world', I just thought those worlds had to include video game elements.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
They don't have to, but they most likely will.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I've always assumed it meant person gets sent to a fictional world, not a fantasy world. So that Yamcha thing fits the bill, but Inuyasha didn't.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Galvanik posted:

Is isekai a more general term? I know it means 'other world', I just thought those worlds had to include video game elements.
It's just being sent to another world. Been around for ages, and only recently overwhelmed with the game stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ryonguy posted:

I'm getting a little burnt out on the otaku pandering stuff. This is about the tenth "mc knocked on head/some other contrived incident, winds up in video game" I've seen.

My guess is that Sword Art Online dumped a whole lot of chum in the water to cause the recent rush.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Galvanik posted:

I thought isekai was specifically for settings that worked on game rules. Like, Konosuba, SAO, Overlord, those are isekais; but Escaflowne isn't even though it's about a person sent to a fantasy world.

Escaflowne isn't only because the series was made years before the term became a cliche, same with El Hazard. Isekai is not limited to game rules, as exemplified by that recent restaurant isekai.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Really I'm more mad at myself because every single time I still end up liking it. I know it should be getting old to me by now, but it's not.

I'm a real sucker for "here's this fantasy world, here's how it all fits together as a complete ecosystem." Whether that's people catching food for lunch, a girl turned giant spider, a magically apt slime, a strong goblin, a mysterious body-posessing spirit, a bitter antisocial nerd who everyone hates because he doesn't get a weapon, a guy who hates goblins, or a world where everyone's name is their job. Having the main character be a transplant from the real, modern world is a really cheap and lazy narrative device, but it does give an excuse to explain the world to the reader, and it's not a particularly new contrivance.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
If it follows game rules, it falls under the more specific category of LitRPG, though typically that term is used with books. There's a whole thread about that genre in TBB, even.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
And I imagine the thread consists entirely of people making GBS threads on them

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Samuringa posted:

And I imagine the thread consists entirely of people making GBS threads on them

If there is a just and moral God.

I like fish out of water stories (Star Trek 4 best movie), but the same specific set-up again and again is boring.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Eh, the otome game one above is neat. The thing about isekai is the premise can make or break the series. Like with bad end heroine, the premise is she reincarnates as the character who literally dies in every possible storyline. So she goes about trying to preemptively stop that and winds up attracting all the characters who would have killed her otherwise, but she's wonderfully oblivious to it all. And unless I misread the initial recommendation for it, it seems to have already ended in the webnovel version at 30 chapters? So it's not one of the ones that catches on and gets turned into a cash cow like, say, Bleach.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I kind of liked Konosuba because it felt like a DND campaigb that everyone was just loving around in.

Got a bit repetitive with the jokes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
konosuba is very good

in some ways it is similar to Always Sunny