Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I see how it is. The Sky Tribe will be seen as ignoring their own people to wage a war with Xing, while Yona actually shows up to help. Gotta kickstart that ascension war somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that please don't bully me nagatoro series that was posted a bit ago has been updating a bunch, and it seems it's stayed pretty tame rather than turned into some sort of masochistic fetish fuel like some folks thought it might. Guy is cripplingly meek and shy, girl is overwhelmingly overbearing and rude, but they like each other. Nagatoro has some eye problems too, clearly. Constantly having one eye half-open, she should have that looked at.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

and it seems it's stayed pretty tame rather than turned into some sort of masochistic fetish fuel like some folks thought it might.

pass

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Captain Invictus posted:

that please don't bully me nagatoro series that was posted a bit ago has been updating a bunch, and it seems it's stayed pretty tame rather than turned into some sort of masochistic fetish fuel like some folks thought it might. Guy is cripplingly meek and shy, girl is overwhelmingly overbearing and rude, but they like each other. Nagatoro has some eye problems too, clearly. Constantly having one eye half-open, she should have that looked at.

Still seems uncomfortably dark even though it leveled off a bit after the initial pitch. Like literally bullying him to tears. It's real awkward IMO.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Try Rough Sketch Sempai for less mean art related bullying. It's also complete.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
just because it didn't endlessly intensify doesn't make it any less fetishistic.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
either way it still seems really unpleasant :( I just feel bad for the guy

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, haha, I'm sure he hates it....

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Everything Burrito posted:

eh, while she has been mean to him, she's also been pushing him to be more open with people, honest, and calling him on his fairly ignorant thoughts on some things. I'll give it a chance unless it goes downhill real fast. Like spotted flower did. That one'll sting for a while yet.

I'm not a masochist/too familiar with masochism so I guess I don't really get that aspect of it if it's there.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Try reading a wholesome manga that is not about bullying

May I recommend this one about stretching

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Please do not trigger me

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

it's more straight abuse than bullying

you can be abusive and still like somebody and thats why I dont like it as much as something like takagi

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Terper posted:

Try reading a wholesome manga that is not about bullying

May I recommend this one about stretching

Why do you this

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
are we finally ready to tackle how tsundere slap stick comedies make light of domestic abuse

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
no.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

DisDisDis posted:

are we finally ready to tackle how tsundere slap stick comedies make light of domestic abuse

Just smdh at Nichijou promoting gun violence like that.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Actually that's a pretty good comparison. That manga is Dark Takagi. All the teasing is cranked up to abuse and mild playful embarrassment is turned up to humiliated to tears. Like they soften her a bit later to make it a little more pleasant later by showing bits of "oh she's just playing" later but holy gently caress it's uncomfortable because she comes off as an actual complete bastard.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Pf, Nagatoro is completely dere in this adaptation

El Burbo fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 8, 2018

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
From what I read of Nagatoro the real difference between it and more tame manga was the way the target is presented. Nishikata from Takagi-san takes the teasing as a challenge and actively engages, the guy in Nagatoro actively tries to disengage and cries. You could have the taunts be line for line identical in each series and they'd still be very different because the author of Takagi-san wants to write a light-hearted comedy whereas the author of Nagatoro wants Nagatoro to bully him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Please do not trigger me
please don't make this lovely joke

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I read one chapter of the Nagatoro manga and quickly went, "Nah."

That's my hot take.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Nagatoro steadily gets less bullying and more flirting as it goes. I think it's pretty cute now.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
anime then

anime now

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
Also an accurate portrayal of the resolution of scans back then.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sockpuppetclock posted:

Also an accurate portrayal of the resolution of scans back then.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
yeah that one dis posted and also Nana to Kaoru were some good depictions of masochistic relationships alongside Nagatoro-san. imo the most important part is the nurturing after the breakdown that follows a real intense session and handles the catharsis. chapter 2 is a really good example of this, where it ends up with him being soothed and consoled and having his tears wiped.

also you can tell that when she really gets into it she starts to lose control and there's a lot of points where she wants to stop but ends up going into a like, sadistic trance. in the original pixiv series she goes so far she starts crying herself because she's digging so deep into another person's psyche. it's really intense. i love that feeling.

dunno if shoujo thread is the strongest fit for this manga, but it is pretty romantic at times and you can tell within a few chapters that Nagatoro is head over heels for her senpai and they're a pair of sappy dorky teenagers at the heart of it.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I didn't think it was particularly offensive as another Takagi style teasing comedy thing (didn't go in for takagi really either) but it's weird to spin it as good conscious masochist roleplay or w/e when she just starts bullying him one day and won't leave him alone and they're both like 13 or something. Like whatever fetish thing people get out of reading it I don't think dude in the story is a masochist he just feels bad cuz this girl's an rear end in a top hat to him.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
it mostly reads like grade-school bullying to me which is pretty hurtful to the bullied party even if the bully is acting out due to a crush

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Anyway I like the manga by the nana to kaoru guy about a 30 year old office lady loving the straight out of college rising star at her company who's secretly a virgin (for one whole chapter)
too bad it stopped getting updates

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

DisDisDis posted:

I didn't think it was particularly offensive as another Takagi style teasing comedy thing (didn't go in for takagi really either) but it's weird to spin it as good conscious masochist roleplay or w/e when she just starts bullying him one day and won't leave him alone and they're both like 13 or something. Like whatever fetish thing people get out of reading it I don't think dude in the story is a masochist he just feels bad cuz this girl's an rear end in a top hat to him.

i mean, i can't necessarily dismiss that read besides that he does clearly separate his actual memories of being bullied from his impressions of nagatoro. i think the senpai being subconsciously into it is mostly projection of the viewer and that just seemed like the point of it, to me? that's kind of why it doesn't strike me as a widely targeted series that should just get dropped into the shoujo/romance thread.

like, it doesn't get more obvious what's going on than this panel

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
well, fair enough

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/gunjo_ch29#1 new gunjou chapter, it's moving along

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

chumbler posted:

Well she is a tactical genius after all. Katarina rules and I'm loving this.

This is a fun series and thanks to whoever first recommended it!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I want a girl who looks at me the way Komi-san looks at Tadano.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
this one's for my buddy Rodyle

http://www.mangago.me/read-manga/koi_wa_misoji_wo_sugite_kara/

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh I totally read this, as it turns out. I just forgot about it because it unjustly died.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
it's hosed up!!!!!!!

happy negative marriage was also good if you haven't read it (may also be unjustly dead)

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I did read it, and most scanned Ryuta stuff for quite awhile.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
where's all the good horny seinen romance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

quote:

Other manga by the same author(s)
Bra Girl
Description: She's quite a normal girl with a crush on a handsome boy but she has a hardon everytime she sees him.

Finally a manga that gets me