Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Franchescanado posted:

The last time I watched it, it felt like a Whodunnit? Murder Mystery play filmed in the woods of New Jersey.

In the annals of trite murder mystery twists, it's one that's pulled off with remarkable aplomb. The franchise eventually just sort of escalated into black comedy, but the first one is underrated in terms of just how kind of... sun-baked and weird it feels. It's got this understated, dreamy quality that really pays off at the last. Like, that final line/dissolve to the lake is genuinely disturbing but also bizarrely melancholy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

K. Waste posted:

In the annals of trite murder mystery twists, it's one that's pulled off with remarkable aplomb. The franchise eventually just sort of escalated into black comedy, but the first one is underrated in terms of just how kind of... sun-baked and weird it feels. It's got this understated, dreamy quality that really pays off at the last. Like, that final line/dissolve to the lake is genuinely disturbing but also bizarrely melancholy.

Yeah, agreed. I always found the yellow-orange lightning for the storm to be unintentionally dreamy, as well how the last few characters die off-screen, compared to the explicit deaths in the first two acts.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

Hat Thoughts posted:

how about Candyman for Illinois...im not sayin its better than Halloween im sayin Halloween has visible palm trees

Right? Candyman has very visible Cabrini Green.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, agreed. I always found the yellow-orange lightning for the storm to be unintentionally dreamy, as well how the last few characters die off-screen, compared to the explicit deaths in the first two acts.

It's the kind of movie where two characters just ponderously sit by a lake and talk about "I have this dream" and poo poo. It's the most endearingly 'college film' thing.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Speaking of Friday the 13th, I just watched Bay of Blood, and good God, that ending. I was laughing throughout the entire credits.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Speaking of Friday the 13th, I just watched Bay of Blood, and good God, that ending. I was laughing throughout the entire credits.

I think you mean A Twitch of a Death Nerve

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

No, I'm talking about Carnage.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think you mean Blood Bath

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Are there any hidden-gem cabin in the woods style movies on Prime or Netflix? I've always liked that setup for the low to mid budget horrors. Not a lot of sets to worry about, just some folks in the woods.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Narzack posted:

Are there any hidden-gem cabin in the woods style movies on Prime or Netflix? I've always liked that setup for the low to mid budget horrors. Not a lot of sets to worry about, just some folks in the woods.

Not sure if it is on prime but you should check out Toad Road

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Narzack posted:

TOURIST TRAP (1979).

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Narzack posted:

I watched Demon Wind on prime this week, it was an incredibly blatant and cheesy rip off of evil dead but I wanna thought it was fun

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Would anyone be interested in a birthday stream for Cronenberg March 16 ( birthday is actually March 15). I missed doing a Romero B Day celebration :(. Also suggest movies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

They added Robowar to Amazon Prime. For anyone that's unfamiliar with it this is a shameless Predator ripoff that is.......

Italian

Written by Claudio Fragasso (director of Monster Dog, Troll 2)

Directed by Bruno Mattei (director of Strike Commando, The Other Hell)

Starring Reb Brown

So please watch it ASAP.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Narzack posted:

I can partially agree with that. Lucas is an amazing producer and creator, but, I felt that Star Wars was incredible in spite of him. He was given full control for the prequels and those were as bad as could be. But Star Wars and Indiana Jones are top notch, yeah. Also Willow.

So, I guess I don't really think he's a hack, since be basically created my childhood. I should reserve the term hack for those who truly are, ie Wingard.
Not only is he still attached to Godzilla VS Kong but apparently he is going to butcher I Saw The Devil with a lovely remake. I actively loathed his Blair Witch and will never watch Death Note.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

James Woods Fan posted:

Not only is he still attached to Godzilla VS Kong but apparently he is going to butcher I Saw The Devil with a lovely remake. I actively loathed his Blair Witch and will never watch Death Note.

I wasn't big on Blair Witch, but frankly that movie's more the result of Wingard being a bad fit for the material than him being a bad director in general. He's got a specific lane, and when he works in it, he makes good poo poo (see: You're Next, The Guest, Death Note).

e: Like, I don't think Blair Witch has a single thing I'd associate with Wingard except his name on it and possibly a couple actors from other things, it's very much a work-for-hire movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I liked Death Note

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Death Note is good.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Cithen posted:

Right? Candyman has very visible Cabrini Green.

They actually had the balls to shoot in the Green, and had to hire local gangbangers as paid extras just to keep the crew from getting hosed up. Even then, rooftop snipers still took potshots at the crew vans out of boredom.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Neo Rasa posted:

TOURIST TRAP (1979).

I wouldn't even really call that a "cabin in the woods" horror movie but goddammit, watch it anyways because it's nuts and good.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

James Woods Fan posted:

I like your style.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The Guest has earned Wingard a fair number of mulligans in my book. I didn't love Blair Witch either, but I'll follow whatever else he ends up working on in the foreseeable future.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Cold Skin was alright. I don't think the ending was earned though.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Fart City posted:

The Guest has earned Wingard a fair number of mulligans in my book. I didn't love Blair Witch either, but I'll follow whatever else he ends up working on in the foreseeable future.

I keep trying to get people to watch The Guest and no one will watch The Guest. How do I get more people to watch The Guest?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Untrustable posted:

I keep trying to get people to watch The Guest and no one will watch The Guest. How do I get more people to watch The Guest?

I got a few people to watch it just on the strength of the soundtrack alone. Forwarding holdouts the spotify playlist couldn't hurt.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Untrustable posted:

"What if Chris Evans was a real rear end in a top hat?"

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

It's hard to tell people what it's about without ruining it and "it's about a soldier that moves in with his battle buddy's family after he gets discharged" makes people just think it's a drama about the Iraq war.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Settle a argument ( Welcome to your new argument hell)

How many movies has Jason been in? I say 10 because 2 , 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 , Hell, X , Jason v Freddy , Remake

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Untrustable posted:

It's hard to tell people what it's about without ruining it and "it's about a soldier that moves in with his battle buddy's family after he gets discharged" makes people just think it's a drama about the Iraq war.

I mean, it just turns the first act into dramatic irony, and unlike some movies The Guest actually really makes that work.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Settle a argument ( Welcome to your new argument hell)

How many movies has Jason been in? I say 10 because 2 , 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 , Hell, X , Jason v Freddy , Remake

Jason in Freddy vs. Jason is not Jason. He is a golem summoned forth from the mud by Freddy's dark magicks.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Untrustable posted:

Jason in Freddy vs. Jason is not Jason. He is a golem summoned forth from the mud by Freddy's dark magicks.

Nope, he's kid Jason from Jason Takes Manhattan grown up and back to murdering around Camp Crystal Lake. He's alive and well at the beginning of F v J.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Nope, he's kid Jason from Jason Takes Manhattan grown up and back to murdering around Camp Crystal Lake. He's alive and well at the beginning of F v J.

He can't be. He loses his fingers in the fight with Freddy but in Jason X (set in the future far after F v J) he has his fingers. Jason cannot regenerate fingers so you must concede that Jason X isn't Jason or F v J Jason isn't Jason. You can't have it both ways.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Untrustable posted:

He can't be. He loses his fingers in the fight with Freddy but in Jason X (set in the future far after F v J) he has his fingers. Jason cannot regenerate fingers so you must concede that Jason X isn't Jason or F v J Jason isn't Jason. You can't have it both ways.

Part of the plot of Jason X is that he does in fact regenerate. That's a major plot point in the beginning of the film is he's being held at Camp Crystal Lake Research and they're studying his regenerative powers.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

That's internal regeneration. He's carried his external battle damage through multiple movies. Are you telling me he chooses to not regenerate his external features?

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 8, 2018

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah because he wants to be scary.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Jason has not been Jason since part 5. That is my official stance. I would be happy to elaborate if needed.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Untrustable posted:

That's internal regeneration. He's carried his external battle damage through multiple movies. Are you telling me he chooses to not regenerate his external features?

Actually, and this is entirely on accident, but it makes a weird amount of sense if you assume he doesn't regenerate SUPER fast.

Like, second movie he's the most alive of all of them, he has hair and all that. Then he takes a blow that should have killed him, machete through the collar to where his heart is, and that changes. he takes another mortal blow in the third movie and by the fourth he looks more like a corpse.

In Six he starts off more corpse-like but the moment he's revived, he's regenerated a fair bit. 8 shows him regenerate a lot of the damage he took in 7, 9 has him regain a human flesh tone again.

Freddy VS Jason shows his regeneration a few times. When he's first brought back, we see his lungs fill up and then he regrows his flesh around his bones. Later on Freddy stabs out his eyes only for them to regrow extremely quickly.

Basically normal wounds Jason mostly ignores, but they do regenerate over time.

Major wounds that would keep him from killing or being active he regenerates much faster.

Also yes technically Jason is only physically in 10 movies, even if you take Child Jason at the end of part 1 as a psychic attack. If you count that as him being there in spirit, 11

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
woof at the CGI at the end of The Last Winter. That was some ill advised poo poo.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Part 6: Jason Lives is all a fantasy in the head of an institutionalized Tommy Jarvis. Jason was not brought back by lightning like Frankenstein. Tommy had to rationalize his fear of Jason returning so badly that he dreamt it up while locked in a padded room.

Part 7: The New Blood

Tina's guilt over the accidental murder of her father causes her to use her psychic powers to try and resurrect him. She succeeds but due to interference from the residual evil of the place, her father is resurrected as a creature that shares similar characteristics with Jason Voorhees but isn't him. When her "father" pulls "Jason" back into the lake, that is her pyschic power summoning a powerful totem of who her father used to be to destroy the monstrous Voorhees dad monster she created. Not Jason, just looks like him.

Part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan

You know what? This one is Jason, who has been lying dormant in the lake during the events of 6 and 7. Hella dies at the end though.

Jason Goes to Hell: Not Jason Voorhees at all. At this point a vengeful demon takes on the visage of Jason Voorhees to do murders as evidenced by the weird demon heart...thing.

Jason X:

Copycat killer who was infested by the demon's heart and granted regeneration and powerful magicks. Shot into space. Non-canon for me.

F v J:

Mud golem brought to life by Freddy.

Remake: Different Jason Voorhees in an alternate timeline where he can run and poo poo. Not OG Jason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Alright hotshot, if Jason is true Jason in part 8, then how the hell did he end up in the lake considering he got chopped to poo poo in a cabin by Tommy in part 4?