Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ingmar terdman posted:

Yeah when Iommi heard godzilla he probably slapped his forehead so hard another finger fell off.

Anyway I bought the DoD ticket. With two venues they are saying they will have double the bands. If it's pound for pound as good as last year it will be a true embarrassment of riches.

I'm already in, too. Going to stretch the trip out a little and gently caress around in Baltimore some this time. It's time to see what's beyond the sea of strip clubs...

Trabant posted:

Just looked up a recent BOC setlist and I have to admit I'm surprised by some of the decisions. Career of Evil, Hot Rails to Hell, Astronomy, Veteran of The Psychic Wars... none of them make it in. And some of the ones that do are deep cuts. Then again, I'm a filthy casual when it comes to BOC, so what do I know.

I kinda hope that they bring in Nepenthes so Neggy can join them on stage for Cities on Flame With Rock and Roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m pretty clueless when it comes to BoC. What’s the best/heaviest stuff they have? Besides Smoke on the Water and Godzilla.

I just remember reading Hit Parader in like 1984 and seeing all the bands say that BoC was a big influence, then getting confused when Don’t Fear the Reaper sounded like cheerful light rock.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
"Smoke on the Water" is Deep Purple, maaan.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Accidentally posted this in the metal thread but I meant to post it here:

Blue Oyster Cult are touring near me and they charged $75 a ticket (before fees). This wasn't even on ticketmaster, this was face value direct from the venue. I don't know about you guys but they aren't $75 a ticket good.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Darthemed posted:

"Smoke on the Water" is Deep Purple, maaan.

Seriously. Snowy, you need to do some kind of penance for getting those mixed up.

But:

Snowy posted:

I just remember reading Hit Parader in like 1984 and seeing all the bands say that BoC was a big influence, then getting confused when Don’t Fear the Reaper sounded like cheerful light rock.

Yeah, Burnin' for You sounds like a Cheap Trick song to me. I still like it, but it isn't out of place on a light rock station.

My guess is that they influenced a whole bunch of people thematically/lyrically and just by being generally proggy. Whether those are good things to be influenced by... I guess it depends on how much you like sci-fi/fantasy/interminable guitar noodling in your metal.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Snowy posted:

I’m pretty clueless when it comes to BoC. What’s the best/heaviest stuff they have? Besides Smoke on the Water and Godzilla.

Secret Treaties
Fire of Unknown Origin
Tyranny and Mutation
Agents of Fortune

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
musically they've got nothing to do with this thread but they are awesome. my favourites are probably tyranny & mutation and agents of fortune from the 70s rock sound, but i'm really totally in love with fire of unknown origin. it's cheesy AOR, like toto if they were rad and it's just really great you guys

i mean check this out, just a perfect song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9yQnLsvucs

but despite them not being heavy sonically, if you listen to the lyrics and the overall mood of fire of unknown origin, it's easy to hear their influence in later american bands. brilliant stuff

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 7, 2018

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
hell, cultösaurus rex is awesome too. great new wave-ish rock with 70s style double guitar leads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPhEgjpVbJE

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Their 70s stuff was a bunch of nerds making nerd music but they didn't forget to make actual songs with hooks and fist-pumpy moments so it all kicks a good amount of rear end

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Ingmar terdman posted:

a bunch of nerds making nerd music

here's prob. why they're great heroes of d&d metal bands aka stoner metal bands

and mine too i guess (i have prob. over a hundred posts in the baldur's gate thread)

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 7, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
YOB and Bell Witch are touring together

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Henchman of Santa posted:

date announced in Philly gently caress yesss

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yes came here to post this

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

checked dates expecting the usual Oklahoma-less list, was pleasantly surprised!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

New Yob album out June 8 :worship:

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
So juiced for new Yob and this tour! Here are the dates for those too lazybones to look them up:

May 24 - Vancouver BC @ Modified Ghost Festival

June 14 - Oklahoma City OK @ 89th Street

June 15 - Austin TX @ Austin Terror Fest

June 16 - Little Rock AR @ Mutants of the Monster Festival

June 17 - Memphis TN @ Hi Tone

June 19 - Birmingham AL @ Saturn

June 20 - Atlanta GA @ The Earl

June 22 - Orlando FL @ Will's Pub

June 23 - Wilmington NC @ Reggies 42nd St Tavern

June 24 - Asheville NC @ Mothlight

June 25 - Raleigh NC @ King's

June 27 - Baltimore MD @ Metro

June 28 - New York NY @ le poisson rouge

June 29 - Philadelphia PA @ Underground Arts

June 30 - Cambridge MA @ Middle East

July 2 - Montreal QC @ La Sala Rosa

July 3 - Ottawa ON @ Mavericks

July 4 - Toronto ON @ Mod Club

July 6 - Pittsburgh PA @ Rex Theater

July 7 - Detroit MI @ El Club

July 8 - Chicago IL @ Reggie's

July 10 - St Paul MN @ Turf Club

July 11 - Omaha NE @ Lookout Lounge

July 12 - Denver CO @ Bluebird Theater

July 13 - Salt Lake City UT @ Urban Lounge

July 14 - Boise ID @ Neurolux

Edit: Tickets are on sale Friday.

Detective Thompson fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 7, 2018

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post

Detective Thompson posted:

So juiced for new Yob and this tour! Here are the dates for those too lazybones to look them up:

:words:

June 17 - Memphis TN @ Hi Tone

:words:

Edit: Tickets are on sale Friday.

Noticing a fair amount of bands recently skipping over Nashville in favor of Memphis/Knoxville (Yob, Conan, Ufomammut, etc) and it kind of bums me out... that said, I'm so happy they are coming through at all and there is no way I'm missing out on finally getting to see Yob live.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yob live was one of the most moving experiences of my life and I went into the gig as a 'these guys are just OK' type of person because the production on their albums has always turned me off.

they almost sound different live, much heavier tone thanks to the bass coming through more than on the albums.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
everything up to and including the great cessation has great production and sound imo. even middian sounded good. atma and clearing the path really don't, i wonder what happened

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 8, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The mix on Atma is so bad. Prepare the Ground is my favourite Yob track ever but by god does the album mix sound rough

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I am so excited for new Yob and really hope we'll be getting a Euro tour later in the year.

Laserface posted:

Yob live was one of the most moving experiences of my life

Same, one of the best shows I've been to.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Saw Yob years ago at a cool festival in Alexandra Palace, they were great. Sleep and Slayer also played. Cool gig.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I am so going to that Orlando gig that you guys don't even loving know. Yob has been one of my white whales for a while now so getting to see them in a place like Will's is super dope and I blasted The Great Cessation, The Unreal Never Lived, and The Illusion of Motion all the way through at work today in celebration. I was seriously prepared to drive to Atlanta for them but Orlando? I can do that and not even miss work.

Plus I get to see Bell Witch and maybe a "local" opener? :getin:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I don't really get the complaints about yob's production, what do you guys think it should sound like?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
making GBS threads satan

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

A human heart posted:

I don't really get the complaints about yob's production, what do you guys think it should sound like?

How they sound live.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The mix on Atma is so bad. Prepare the Ground is my favourite Yob track ever but by god does the album mix sound rough

It's so weird because the very next song, the title track "Atma," sounds way, way better than "Prepare the Ground."

Their first couple albums also have uneven mixing from song to song. Illusion of Motion, Unreal Never Lived, and Great Cessation all sound killer.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A human heart posted:

Not badly mixed

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
the last two albums have been muddy and weak.

compare these two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoLOQ4WUj0o

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AanI4VZe-E

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Trabant posted:

Seriously. Snowy, you need to do some kind of penance for getting those mixed up.

Lol yeah I had a sinking feeling something was wrong there but I was about to walk into work :downs:

Thanks guys I’ll check out the BoC links

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i really feel like making a rad 70s rock list, like stuff that's very much in the same spirit of this thread

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Yob thing sucks because the production is just all around bad. It’s really weird to me because it comes across as totally incompetent. Like you could just stick some mic’d room recordings together and it would be better.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dyna Soar posted:

i really feel like making a rad 70s rock list, like stuff that's very much in the same spirit of this thread

Yes please, that and the cool and good industrial thread.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Is spotify ok? Youtube lists suck

altho youtube has a lot of awesome lesser known stuff, but spotify is just so easy

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

The Yob thing sucks because the production is just all around bad. It’s really weird to me because it comes across as totally incompetent. Like you could just stick some mic’d room recordings together and it would be better.

Some of the YouTube uploads of prepare the ground that were recorded on handicams and phones sound better than the album

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Snowy posted:

Yes please, that and the cool and good industrial thread.

*banging knife and fork on table* weirdo thread! weirdo thread!

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
writing the op for the industrial / noise thread scares me, i'd want it to be really good and i'd have to start from stockhausen and get to the loving impossible variation of microgenres that exist now.

here's the 70s list, it's only a dozen or so songs right now. i can expand it if there's interest.

https://open.spotify.com/user/anjovisbonus/playlist/795FORLdpqPhCTwHuzWlio

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 8, 2018

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Dyna Soar posted:

writing the op for the industrial / noise thread scares me, i'd want it to be really good and i'd have to start from stockhausen and get to the loving impossible variation of microgenres that exist now.

here's the 70s list, it's only a dozen or so songs right now. i can expand it if there's interest.

https://open.spotify.com/user/anjovisbonus/playlist/795FORLdpqPhCTwHuzWlio

put some robert pehrsson's humbucker on there. they're like contemporary dad rock w/ metal connections

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqZMvYJLATg

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i kinda plan on keeping that 70s only. if you have super gnarly 70s heavy psych songs, post em!

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Dyna Soar posted:

i kinda plan on keeping that 70s only. if you have super gnarly 70s heavy psych songs, post em!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiNnDpIW918