Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I just found out that my fiancee has been messing with pubbies based on one of Salt's lines. He says "The well of evil is bottomless!" but with his goofy accent, she heard something else. She heard "the well of evil is butterless."

She's been saying that in chat after the line and a bunch of people have yelled at her saying "gently caress you, I can't unhear that now!"

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

What kind of horrible world would we live in without delicious butter?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
1d4chan is the best way to experience Games Workshops's horrible decisions I've found.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Lunethex posted:

What kind of horrible world would we live in without delicious butter?

I'm glad my genetics did not inflict me with a lactose intolerance and leave me unable to enjoy butter

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I played a pubbie Ruins mission on veteran an hour back, and it was me (16 Knight) and a 17 Slayer carrying a 6 Waywatcher and 7 Bright Wizard. We were carrying tomes but missed the first grimoire in the locked river chest, and as we ascend towards the cliff trail after a rough slog through the Nurgle camp, on cue goes the Slayer: "wait. grim". And on loving cue as I say that we don't have the health for it, a loving Blightstormer, hook rat, and Chaos horde spawn. To his credit, he didn't bring it up again after we held out in the trail and moved on.

That has to be the worst grimoire in the game and the biggest noob trap, though maybe Fatshark may have outdone themselves in the other maps.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I love grimoires because they're all noob traps. Gamers are conditioned that "more loot = good", and sometimes grimoires end up being "maybe more loot != good" and it loving blows pubbies minds

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Playing the dwarf on the grain map and the team abandons me and just runs across the map. I stayed and went for the second grim solo fighting off a grabbing wizard and a hook rat. I got back to them almost wiping again trying to go at breakneck speeds.

Some reason people think that just running as fast as they can is gonna fix anything in a run over than just sticking together. Grims are fun makes it harder.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Mar 8, 2018

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
it's funny, despite most people being very keen on running double grims almost nobody is wearing curse resist

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Martout posted:

it's funny, despite most people being very keen on running double grims almost nobody is wearing curse resist

I rerolled my trinket for 24%. With a 30% curse resistance trinket earlier, 2 grims would put me around 60% max hp. It was a little bit over half but hard to tell exactly how much. I think curse resistance takes the place of crit chance on the trinket slot, sooooooooooo I can't imagine why people would ignore getting curse resistance.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 8, 2018

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

toasterwarrior posted:

missed the first grimoire in the locked river chest,

How do you open that, by the way?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

There's a key in the first big cave with the thin bridges. Have to go on the floor where it's not as good to fight from.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Fat Samurai posted:

there's a key by a skeleton in the cave with wooden walkways before the area with the first tome, it's down and leftish next to a pillar from where you enter said cave

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks.

My favourite Grim moments are players either trying (and failing) to get the first one in the Empire in Flames for 5 minutes or two players running through the War Camp map trying to find all the tomes and grimoires instead of youtubing them, like God intended.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Is there some satire we are missing with the Warhammer Fantasy setting, like we all missed with 40K for the longest time?

Far as I can tell, things are relatively cool in Warhammer Fantasy land, as opposed to 40K's "Everything and everyone is terrible and for the Emperor's sake can the Chaos Gods just come and put us all out of our misery already?"

There's satire all over the place.

Like... the skaven. The skaven are a joke about neo-nazis. They think they are a pure, superior race of beings, and have stuff called Stormvermin and use weird tech, but they're always at each other's throats and like 50% of their things work. Also, even though they're killing people, the government refuses to admit they're a problem. Sure, maybe a few mutants that ended up looking like rats, but certainly not a whole group of them organizing to destroy society.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Tenzarin posted:

Some reason people think that just running as fast as they can is gonna fix anything in a run over than just sticking together.
My guess is it's a leftover from Left 4 Dead where sprinting is a semi-workable tactic. Doesn't work in Vermintide, though.

edit: ^^ Orcs are football hooligans, Elves are all mysterious and superior in the same way they are in $GENERIC_FANTASY_SETTING but instead of every other race being "Oh wow you're so wise and awesome :allears:" they just hate them for being arrogant dicks, Dwarfs are basically every stereotype about Yorkshiremen / northerners dialled up to 11, etc.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 8, 2018

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Just booking it only really works when you have ranged firepower you can rely on, like in L4D. When your main method of killing is bashing a motherfucker dead, that doesn't work so well.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Grondoth posted:

There's satire all over the place.

Problem is that the recent (as far as I know, I read Eisenhorn, thought it was hot garbage and never read anything else, this is mostly hearsay) writers are taking things way too seriously and they have also killed the setting.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Problem is that the recent (as far as I know, I read Eisenhorn, thought it was hot garbage and never read anything else, this is mostly hearsay) writers are taking things way too seriously and they have also killed the setting.

This is the problem when you let fans that grew up with the setting write the lore of the setting. They are so busy huffing the fart gasses of their favourite race/character/mguffin that they lose the humour and satire only to replace it with super serious grimdark poo poo.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Do we know anything about preloading or how big the install is going to be?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Curse resistance only shows up in trinkets, which have other goodies associated with it besides. (Cooldown reduction! Crit chance!)

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Curse resist is so choice though.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Senethro posted:

Do we know anything about preloading or how big the install is going to be?

It's been available to download and play for weeks, you can just do it now. It was about 20gb iirc.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
I have a fish that gives me 33% curse reduction and I'm not taking that sucker off for a long time.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i know that all of this stuff is pretty unexplored so this might be asking questions that no one knows the answers to, but are the end of a map lootboxes scaled based on your highest power character, or your characters current power? i ask because after getting my dwarf and wizard up to level 10-12ish i switched over to my witch hunter to start leveling him up from one, and the first chest i opened dumped a couple of rank 100 items in his power level 5 lap. all grey items, mind, but was that just a fluke or is it possible to max out one character before powering the others up?

edit: and speaking of flukes, i got a few orange trinkets on the journey to 12 on my wizard, one of which is potion share and another of which is bomb radius increase (also a necklace with barkskin but that's crummy). both of which are extremely nice bonuses but also the trinkets themselves are at like ~60 power rating, so they're driving down my hero power if i have them equipped by a large chunk now. is there any way to boost up their power number in the crafting menu? or am i just going to have to wear them until another one shows up?

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 8, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i know that all of this stuff is pretty unexplored so this might be asking questions that no one knows the answers to, but are the end of a map lootboxes scaled based on your highest power character, or your characters current power? i ask because after getting my dwarf and wizard up to level 10-12ish i switched over to my witch hunter to start leveling him up from one, and the first chest i opened dumped a couple of rank 100 items in his power level 5 lap. all grey items, mind, but was that just a fluke or is it possible to max out one character before powering the others up?

edit: and speaking of flukes, i got a few orange trinkets on the journey to 12 on my wizard, one of which is potion share and another of which is bomb radius increase (also a necklace with barkskin but that's crummy). both of which are extremely nice bonuses but also the trinkets themselves are at like ~60 power rating, so they're driving down my hero power if i have them equipped by a large chunk now. is there any way to boost up their power number in the crafting menu? or am i just going to have to wear them until another one shows up?

Highest power seen. +/-10. It tracks per slot (and maybe per weapon type? Unsure on that one.) so you'll get as high as you've had previous, obviously restricted by the difficulty you're getting the boxes out of.

There is no way to change hero power on an item, ever.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 8, 2018

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks.

My favourite Grim moments are players either trying (and failing) to get the first one in the Empire in Flames for 5 minutes or two players running through the War Camp map trying to find all the tomes and grimoires instead of youtubing them, like God intended.

I severely dislike the second grimoire for Empire In Flames because jumping in this game feels sluggish, like Dark Souls or something. It makes those precision movements like that or the second grim for Festering Ground feel awkward or frustrating to try for.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i have a 100% success rate on the festering ground grimoire just by crouch walking off the bridge but i've seen my teammates miss and faceplant off the side of the cliff which is fun

i also have a 0% success rate on jumping to the lamppost for the empire in flames grimoire, so.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Forcing platforming into engines/movement that really don't support it is one of those really bad, dumb developer decisions.

Like red barrels that don't explode.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm not sure how your supposed to jump across the gap for the first tome in festering ground, just thankful you can nab it through the floor instead but that seems unintended.

I don't very much like the pixel perfect jumps in this game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Nevermind, opps.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm not sure how your supposed to jump across the gap for the first tome in festering ground, just thankful you can nab it through the floor instead but that seems unintended.

I don't very much like the pixel perfect jumps in this game.

It turns out the little lip/bump on the jump side, where the railing would be if it wasn't destroyed, is where you have to jump from. Not at the very edge. It's super insane.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Cowcaster posted:

i also have a 0% success rate on jumping to the lamppost for the empire in flames grimoire, so.

For this one, the trick is that the box you're jumping from has a hitbox that's way larger than the model is. You can run forward a good foot or so past where you think the box should end before you jump. Makes it pretty easy.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Lune and others who have hit lvl 30, a question for you as I'm nearing that level on Sienna:
When you open boxes that go up to power 300 (champion and commendation), what do you get?
Do you get white, green, blue etc. items between power 200 and 300 or do non-red items cap out at 200?
Items from chests and crafting at lvl 25 were of power 150-ish I think so it seems like they'd cap out at 200 but then again a fair amount of things about power level etc. are not super intuitive and I'm just trying to wrap my head around it all...

Gamerofthegame posted:

Curse resistance only shows up in trinkets, which have other goodies associated with it besides. (Cooldown reduction! Crit chance!)

yeah before they nerfed CDR on trinkets mine had 19.5% CDR and 33% curse resist, pretty optimal for any build that's not crit oriented imo. after nerf it went down to 9.5% CDR which is still pretty solid!

Orv
May 4, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTlpd3O6-gE

:discourse:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Power Level on items starts at 5 and only rises when you open more boxes. The highest seen power level becomes the standard all the way up until you reach 300, the max. Crafting items does not make this highest seen number increase. Items you obtain are always within + or - 10 power level of the highest seen, and the higher number then becomes the standard.

Commendation boxes seem to contain equal amounts of all qualities except for whites. Save them. It's unknown if they will contain Reds. Most likely not. But they are a good way to increase your power level after Veteran and prepare for Champion, when you reach the max of 200, and for outfitting characters you level later.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

quote:

The 1.0 update will go live during our Stream (between 18:00 and 20:00 UTC) at which point the Pre-Order Beta will come to an end, and all game content will become available.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Lunethex posted:

Power Level on items starts at 5 and only rises when you open more boxes. The highest seen power level becomes the standard all the way up until you reach 300, the max. Crafting items does not make this highest seen number increase. Items you obtain are always within + or - 10 power level of the highest seen, and the higher number then becomes the standard.

Commendation boxes seem to contain equal amounts of all qualities except for whites. Save them. It's unknown if they will contain Reds. Most likely not. But they are a good way to increase your power level after Veteran and prepare for Champion, when you reach the max of 200, and for outfitting characters you level later.

Oh wow so it's not even connected to character level at all? lol did I mention I don't find the power level and item power system entirely intuitive?

No real point in saving these veteran boxes then I guess, got 35 or so commendation boxes in storage and am nearing 200 on items...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I really hope there's a mod or something that shows where all of the books are. I really have no desire to memorize all of the locations and I am perfectly happy with skipping any they involve jumping puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Welp, that's not coming off for a while.

• Locked thread