Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Neurosis posted:

yeah, that bit with him at the end, much as it's just a teaser, made it from a solid issue to a good one. i love that he hunts with a loving l85, though it's probably inhumane (i've read assault rifles are often insufficiently powerful for swiftly killing large animals).

I do love how everyone is shafting everyone at the moment, getting smug about pulling one off over the other only for it to happen to them. Everything feels like it's building to a head, while Jenny is poised to pick up the pieces perhaps?

I wonder if there will be any sign of Elijah and chums at some point (beyond the mention of City Zero). I'd understand if he wants to keep that its own thing but it'd be interesting to see if/where the Four fit in in this version of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
ellis has indicated there won't be anything from planetary in here. i want majestros, spartan and maybe carver to appear (i know we've seen 'majestic'-level stuff a couple of times in reference to what appears to be secrecy, whether that's just a namedrop ala warblade or it's indicating majestic is an old mega secret by which high-level secrecy is defined remains unclear)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/971759532799119365

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Didn't they just do a history of the Amazons book or did I imagine that?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Sold for more Snyder/Capullo stuff and more Rucka Wonder Woman too

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Wonder Woman books look good. Not really into anything else.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I read the floppies of Rucka Rebirth WW and the flipping back and forth was just a terrible way to release a comic book in single issues format. That really soured me on reading any more.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

It's ridiculous, but it's even more ridiculous to think that it's poorly thought out.

I just got my Vision hardcover in the mail, so I'll fight anyone that dares slander Tom King.

Nah, it's a little poorly thought out. 1: Where's Swamp Thing? He's the Avatar of the Green and one of his jobs is to shut things like this down. 2: Where's the other Avatars? They're also there to shut stuff like this down. 3: Ivy has 7+ billion people under her command in nearly full dictatorship mode and somehow she's triggered by a single person not able to eat her greens?

The first two could be explained away, but they're not so they sorta end up dangling as plot holes.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Re: Black Label, it would've been nice to get some more new to DC and brand new faces in there rather than trotting out the stalwarts again, and some more variety in the stories.
I'm into Rucka's Daughter of WW if it's just about an unknown girl in a future distopia with the figure of WW in the background, sorta like what Creature of the Night is doing. Definitely curious to check out Superman if it's unrestrained, un-ghost-written Miller, and that JRjr DK3 one-shot looked like his best work in years. Still most excited for the Secret History thing.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Xelkelvos posted:

Nah, it's a little poorly thought out. 1: Where's Swamp Thing? He's the Avatar of the Green and one of his jobs is to shut things like this down. 2: Where's the other Avatars? They're also there to shut stuff like this down. 3: Ivy has 7+ billion people under her command in nearly full dictatorship mode and somehow she's triggered by a single person not able to eat her greens?

The first two could be explained away, but they're not so they sorta end up dangling as plot holes.

The answer is that none of that was important to the story the writer wanted to tell, and trying to cover every angle ten million different comic book nerds are going to pick apart your story from would not only be impossible, but would make the story much worse

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Are there any good Etrigan trades, aside from the Kirby one?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Are there any good Etrigan trades, aside from the Kirby one?

https://www.amazon.com/Demon-Vol-Hells-Hitman/dp/1401258212

Also Demon Knights, if you don't mind him being on a team.

e: Just got reminded of Morrison & Burnham's Arkham Asylum 2. That should probably go on Black Label.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 8, 2018

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

That black label stuff looks real good. Especially curious about the Batman and WW ones. Not too sure about Frank Millars take on Superman.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

These all sound good.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Holy anus, these sound good. I kinda hope this all ends up being in mainstream continuity.

Except Miller Superman...maybe? I mean, who knows! Maybe that’ll end up really good too! Who knows!

Never heard of John Ridley before...I wonder what he’s written in the pa-

imdb posted:

Twelve Years a Slave (2013)
-:stare:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm glad DC is using the bold new initiative to publish a story we've never seen before: Superman's origin

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like Superman origin stories so whatever.

Young superman figuring out how to live among the normals and be good is my favourite superman.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I haven't read a bad Superman origin yet, so I'll give Miller and Romita a chance.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i will hold out hope that editorial will put the kibosh on supes fighting dirty islamists as his intro to the world

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I hope all star batman and robin frank miller shows up and writes that superman book.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I hope a tornado kills Pete Ross or something

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

BrianWilly posted:

Never heard of John Ridley before...I wonder what he’s written in the pa-

-:stare:

He was supposed to be developing a Marvel TV show for ABC, but I guess that died on the vine.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
John Ridley also wrote the original screenplay for Three Kings, which is a pretty good movie

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Damned is the one I'm immediately intrigued by, although Batman/Deathblow was... not great, but it looked loving amazing. Mostly everything else looks like it could be interesting too. gently caress, I'm even a little intrigued by Miller Superman. I also hope it's a companion piece to ASBAR.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Open Marriage Night posted:

I haven't read a bad Superman origin yet, so I'll give Miller and Romita a chance.

I look forward to a young beautiful but dangerous and wild Martha Kent crosses the wrong dangerous man. Kidnapping her beating her while she maniacally laughs and spits in his face going on a monologue about how he's truly hosed up.

Bleeding Smiling Martha: You stupid idiot, do you know how truly hosed you are? Do you know the man you've pissed off? It's a small town, everyone knows everyone and sees everything, and I'm looking at a man who's dead but doesn't know it yet.

(careening down a lonely road thunder raging outside pouring rain lighting cutting through the sky showing a man looking grim, but inside smiling, excited humming with anticipation)

Insane Jonathan Kent: How long has it been since I've needed to take a life? (Jon thinks to himself) Not since the War, I reckon, I will never admit this to anyone, but I never received a bigger thrill than when I was mowing Jerry down. Snuffing the lights out of so many Nazi scum never made me feel so alive, beating them to a pulp with these hands, hands that have become a farmer's hands. Hands that bring life to feed and provide for my family. Hang on Martha I'm coming, our new baby boy Clark needs you, I need you. He's a miracle from the stars, and I won't let anything happen to you.

(Hands clenching the wheel harder, a heavy foot on the gas urges the steel pickup onward, his roadside passenger is his old trench gun loaded, always reliable, a faithful friend, just like the 1911 sitting in the glovebox, both soaked in history's blood.)

(A sudden curve in the road as the truck lurches to the left a *CLANG* from the bed of the pickup) (Jon glances backwards to see an antiquated scythe gleaming in lightning light, water dripping off it's blade)

Insane Jonathan Kent: The Kent scythe, (Jon ruminates) passed down through the years, maybe I won't need it tonight. By God I hope I do, it's time to cleanse this town of the chaff that kidnapped my Martha!

(thunder roars outside, and so does a blood lustful Jonathan Kent)

If it's nothing like this I shall be sorely disappointed.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I just want Jimmy Olsen to ask Supes what the symbol on his chest is, and he explodes 'What are you, dense? Are you retarded or something? What the hell do you think this is? It's an "S" that stands for "hope"!'

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Do you think the s on my chest stands for France

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It stands for the goddamn Superman

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I want a caricature of Donald Trump to show up on the first panel of a new page and not be commented on

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Dark Knight the Last Crusade was one of the best Miller stories in years and a genuinely good Batman story. I hope that's the level of quality both Miller and JRjr bring to Year One.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Whatever Miller's current ability relative to his peak, I don't know if even at the height of his powers he'd be capable of producing the kind of warmth and decency needed for Superman. He's always read to me as far too cynical for it though I'm no Miller expert. But I'll check it out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Dark Knight the Last Crusade was one of the best Miller stories in years and a genuinely good Batman story. I hope that's the level of quality both Miller and JRjr bring to Year One.

I thought it was really mediocre, which is still better than his other recent work, which I will attribute to Azzarrello "co"-writing it.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Well I mean you're wrong.

It's a great story about Bruce facing his age and getting older and missing a step but trying to keep going with his crazy fantasy while the rest of the world seems to be growing up around him. He then ends the story deciding to retire but train Jason to take his place...only for the Joker to snatch that away from him.

It's a book about a surprisingly mature Bruce actually growing up and facing his own mortality and making a surprisingly mature decision about it before the tragedy strikes and he ends up completely spiralling out into Dark Knight Returns. I was very impressed with what turned out to be a very restrained take on Batman from Miller after he gave us ASBAR and Holy Terror.

And JRjr's art is much better when it's not inked and he actually takes the time with it instead of scratching out whatever for deadlines and the inkers ruining his pencilling.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

which I will attribute to Azzarrello "co"-writing it.

I attribute the main series being flat as a pancake to Azz rather than Millar, so :shrug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Soooooo I take it back. I haven't read it. I was confusing it with Dark Knight III: The Master Race, which I thought was mediocre.

Though complaining about inkers on JRJr's art is weird, since Klaus Janson tends to bring out the best imo. Granted, few of DC's inkers are anything notable.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nicola Scott's variant cover for AC1K

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Superbro :unsmith:

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

He died for us all. The world wouldn't listen.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I want a caricature of Donald Trump to show up on the first panel of a new page and not be commented on

He showed up in Master Race and the previous Batman (where Ivy took over).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Gonna throw in Mullet Supes but not Electric Supes?