Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Thermometer chat
I've got the Webber igrill and if it's raining I stick it in a Ziploc bag and put it on the magnetic base which holds the bag to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You should address the white smoke issue.

Run up the grill with the leftover charcoal and wood, get it to 235 or so, and let it settle down and see if the smoke becomes light blue or clear.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

you can get a cheap instant read thermometer for $15 off Amazon. it's not going to be as sturdy as a thermapen, but it'll be fine.

also I find the image of you having to sell the idea of purchasing a thermometer to your parents.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I honestly have never seen someone post “my parents” or “my dad” so much in a single thread outside of e/n

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

you can get a cheap instant read thermometer for $15 off Amazon. it's not going to be as sturdy as a thermapen, but it'll be fine.

I have one of these and it works alright. Take about 2-3 secs to stabilize the temp, but worth it for double checking things.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I still do not get why the need for the instant read when he already has a DigiQ. I do not trust the analog on my smoker, or the stokers probes. But I darned sure trust the Maverick I stick into the flesh and smoker. If you're looking you're not cooking.

I am still a bit nauseous from looking at that pork loin.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think it quenches his undying thirst to buy everything other than meats to smoke.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Buying everything over time to get a smoker in a state of set-it-and-forget-it is a worthy goal, but buying things that something else is already taking care of is nuts. Especially when you factor in that "cannot afford fresh pork butt/shoulder" aspect.

I suspect that a large % of those who buy BGEs are the same way though.

:toot:"Wow, that BGE you have is impressive!"
:chef:"Thanks, look at all these gadgets! They do things!"
:toot:"Have you actually cooked anything?"
:chef:"An amazing pork loin at 225! Could not afford pork butt, but was juicy! We need a new thermometer."
*posts pics of raw pork with slime for bark and tapeworms wiggling around on the plate*
:confuoot: "..."

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 8, 2018

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

in smoking terms: weather finally turned here, so smoked a london broil for 2 hours, then sous vide for 24, then finished with a sear on the stove. godly.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hmmm got a London broil in the freezer. Haven't attempted the smoke/sous vide thing yet...temps starting to warm up to mid 40's this weekend. Might try it.

What temp on the sous vide?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hmmm got a London broil in the freezer. Haven't attempted the smoke/sous vide thing yet...temps starting to warm up to mid 40's this weekend. Might try it.

What temp on the sous vide?

I usually do 98.6 degrees for 24 hours

Just kidding, look here https://anovaculinary.com/what-is-sous-vide/sous-vide-resources/

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I do 132 - the meat is ultra tender but still juicy. Makes amazing tacos

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Might attempt my first butt this weekend.

Is it worth the extra 12-24 hours of prep to dry brine? AmazingRibs recommends it... but I am lazy.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

imo yes. The dry brine will also obviously help dry the exterior which is good for everything.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Hasselblad posted:

Buying everything over time to get a smoker in a state of set-it-and-forget-it is a worthy goal, but buying things that something else is already taking care of is nuts. Especially when you factor in that "cannot afford fresh pork butt/shoulder" aspect.

I suspect that a large % of those who buy BGEs are the same way though.

:toot:"Wow, that BGE you have is impressive!"
:chef:"Thanks, look at all these gadgets! They do things!"
:toot:"Have you actually cooked anything?"
:chef:"An amazing pork loin at 225! Could not afford pork butt, but was juicy! We need a new thermometer."
*posts pics of raw pork with slime for bark and tapeworms wiggling around on the plate*
:confuoot: "..."
The porks fine to eat and slow cooking it like that gives it a good even cook. You're right that the bark is poo poo and it should have been seared afterwards. I'm a big fan of slow smoking lean cuts to lower doneness; the smoke flavor helps make up for the lack of fat.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

dy. posted:

Might attempt my first butt this weekend.

Is it worth the extra 12-24 hours of prep to dry brine? AmazingRibs recommends it... but I am lazy.

Yes.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Was the loin really underdone? I pulled it at 150+° so I’m not sure why it wouldn’t be done by that point.

EDIT: Come to think of it, Hasselblad is the only one saying it’s underdone so maybe that should tell me something.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 8, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's not a great presentation or a great photo, both of which you know, but it doesn't look underdone to me. It did obviously lose a lot of liquid in the cutting.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Was the loin really underdone?

No. It’s good.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I get my bonus tomorrow. My company did real good last year so most people are expecting it to be in the ballpark of 2 months of pay.

I am going to have to fight real hard to not instantly drop six or seven bills on a pellet smoker as soon as that hits my bank account.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Do it you wuss!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Smoke everything in your fridge as soon as your dry run it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Bullying and verbal abuse? Looks like the glory days of GBS are back!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Oddly enough, I'm having a hard time finding any pics posted by the people doing the bulk of the poo poo talking.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I opened up a costco full packer last night and found some strange coloring on it. Since it was $52, I didn't want to risk it. The manager there refunded no problem but said it was probably food safe ink or something, but I've never seen this on any of the ones I've ever bought from there. Also the sort of greying of it didn't look great. I exchanged it for another which didn't have this and all is well for my smoke tonight. What are your thoughts on this? Looked like it was bruised or something.

Also, don't meat shame me for over trimming the fat. :ohdear:

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I think the manager was right. I've seen lots of meat with some leakage from a stamp on it.

http://www.meatscience.org/TheMeatWeEat/topics/processed-meats/article/2016/05/10/meat-inspection-stamps

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I would have thought twice about that discoloration. Unless it was accompanied by a weird smell (which cryo meat tends to be at first until you give it a minute to air out).

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

So I did some bacon this weekend!

We're never buying store-bought bacon again, it came out amazing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don't think I would have thought twice about that discoloration. Unless it was accompanied by a weird smell (which cryo meat tends to be at first until you give it a minute to air out).

Didn't notice anything with the smell.

RIP 16 lb brisket, I'm sorry I trashed you. :(

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I've encountered similar coloration in a cryovacced brisket, it smelled fine and I just trimmed away the discoloration. Nobody died and it tasted fantastic.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I, on the other hand, have killed multiple family members

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

arisu posted:

I get my bonus tomorrow. My company did real good last year so most people are expecting it to be in the ballpark of 2 months of pay.

I am going to have to fight real hard to not instantly drop six or seven bills on a pellet smoker as soon as that hits my bank account.

Got it. The temptation is real.

Anyone have this guy and can give me an idea of how it works for them?

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-PG...f+pellet+smoker

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Canuckistan posted:

I think the manager was right. I've seen lots of meat with some leakage from a stamp on it.

http://www.meatscience.org/TheMeatWeEat/topics/processed-meats/article/2016/05/10/meat-inspection-stamps

From your link:

xsf421 posted:

Looks great! What were your cure and smoke times?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Putting another picnic shoulder into the PBC tomorrow. I might even take some ~*~photographs~*~

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

RisqueBarber posted:

I, on the other hand, have killed multiple family members

Who hasn't?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

xsf421 posted:

I’m still looking for bacon recipes.

I reeeeeeeeally fuckin wanna make some bacon. (And yes, I’ll post pics when it happens.)

I’d kinda like to do Jamaican jerk bacon one day, but not on my first try.

EDIT: Here’s a few bacon recipes I found using Google. Comments are welcome.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-chops-pulled-pork-ham-and-more-pork-recipes/makin-american-style-bacon-scratch
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/homemade-bacon-3362606
https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/pork/home-cured-bourbon-bacon (I like this one cuz it has bourbon in it)

EDIT 2: I’m thinking about making the Maple Bacon recipe from the Amazing Ribs link above, but replacing the water with bourbon and maybe adding a teaspoon each of garlic powder and onion powder and possibly some fresh thyme. Would that work, and can I cure it for a week instead of the 3 to 5 days the recipe says, or would that ruin it?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 10, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I've used amazingribs to buy my smoker and all the recipes I've used so far. It's a pretty decent site.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Do the amazingribs.com normal bacon. It's incredible. I've probably done 30lbs of that stuff over the past year (gave much of it away too since people kept asking me for it).

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Agreed on Amazingribs bacon recipe. I made a post on it last year.

I've done it once more since then. So good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
It begins.