Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

DatonKallandor posted:

I did mean as proper ships, which is what the people referencing Distant Worlds probably mean. I doubt that would be good gameplay anyway - we've already had small inconsequential objects pulling fleets into fights they were going to win anyway. It was armed mining stations and good riddance.

Having visual trade flowing through the lane network that you can cut off in various ways that don't involve actually running tons of small fights you can't lose anyway though - I'm sure there's ways to make that into fun gameplay.

Personally I think making the planet management different/deeper/more interesting is something I care about more than trade, but hey people like their trade for some reason.

Who was talking about Distant Worlds? I specifically mentioned EU4. Heck, even something like Civ5/6 would be better than the purely static +8 to energy from a building we have now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
My first playthrough since like two years ago has been pretty fun.

Right now the year is 2420, and the scourge fleet decided to land dead center of my backfield. It immediately conquered 20ish systems, and pushed me back to my ring world capital system. Fortunately I'm a mega turtle and had built a maxed out citadel with the 23 odd defense stations even though I figured it would never see combat. So that base and five 30Kish fleets of corvettes has suddenly seemed to stem the tide. I can take the 80K fleets when the come in one at a time with pretty minimal losses, but I think that is relying on the star base buffs and a 40% defensive rate of fire edict I picked in a panic.

I've killed I think about 7 or 8 of there fleets in rapid order as they assailed my capital, but I'm terrified to push forward and lose all my buffs if there are tons more fleets right outside sensor range. So my question is how many fleets does the scourge have, and how quickly do they get reinforcement fleets?

I have all the techs unlocked, so any fleet comp ideas to help me punch up would also be really appreciated.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SniperWoreConverse posted:

You can't enlighten fanatical xenophobes. I spent the first part of the game beelining towards them to save them from the slavers they were 2 systems away from. I was about to throw down the outpost (literally had the construction ship on the star waiting for +5 influence to come up) when pirates spawned in the same system. Took it back and whelp I guess they can live on their lovely rock. The slavers hate me now but gently caress them they're dicks.

What you can do is indoctrinate fanatical xenophobes, and then enlighten them once they've become authoritarian materialists or whatever. :eng101:

Taear posted:

Man, my fleet cap is at 750 and that feels like an insane amount. I can't imagine playing the games the people that want 1000+ fleet cap are playing.

If you hold half the galaxy, and have like 10+ wormholes dotting your empire, and only have Total War wargoals available, and have already blobbed over anyone who's not part of a big federation, it's pretty nice to be able to project overwhelming force against four or five fronts at once.

E: ^Prethoryn fleets have no shields, so ditch kinetics and go all out on energy weapons. They also have no fleets between their origin point and the border, outside of ones moving to reinforce the border.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 8, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

If you hold half the galaxy, and have like 10+ wormholes dotting your empire, and only have Total War wargoals available, and have already blobbed over anyone who's not part of a big federation, it's pretty nice to be able to project overwhelming force against four or five fronts at once.

I do! I just don't see the need to project so much force.
That said in late game my game slows a lot and messing around building more stuff is just wasting time I can be progressing the game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

Also hello Wiz welcome back.
I dont think he ever left, he just been hella busy.

I would try to ask him some question, but, well, he hella busy.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Before big detailed trade systems I would like to have actually interesting strategic resources, something that adds more than just a minor bonus.

My wish would be unique technologies depended on resources (remember when you used to need neutronium for neutronium armor)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dont think he ever left, he just been hella busy.

I would try to ask him some question, but, well, he hella busy.

Yeah I always assume the Paradox devs are lurking their threads.

Seriously, this expansion's one of the best in Paradox history Wiz, great job!

The more reactive/elaborate events is something I'm looking forward to. If they added 4-5 Horizon Signal level event chains that'd be really neat.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm disappointed that the list of goals doesn't include an emphasis on fixing ground combat.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm disappointed that the list of goals doesn't include an emphasis on fixing ground combat.

What's wrong with ground combat? Other than it being a single boring buttonpress.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Dongattack posted:

What's wrong with ground combat? Other than it being a single boring buttonpress.
Building the armies is a few dozen more button presses, though. And those single button presses add up, too. And it's really boring. It's not nearly as bad now since you're not forced to bombard and the new aggressive stance functionality, but it's still just... completely uninteresting busywork.

Anyway a pet peeve of mine that's bothering me now after someone mentioned it a few pages ago is only being able to build one (1) building at a time on a planet, and construction time in general. Hell, the construction time reduction tech used to be my favorite repeatable before it got changed to build speed increase. I don't even have a favorite repeatable anymore. It just feels good to build up a planet quickly late game and doesn't seem actually that powerful, so it seems like collateral damage in getting rid of the -100% pop growth time stacking. The +10% building speed repeatable is just so much less impactful in comparison.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Dongattack posted:

Manually rebuilding armies is a pain in the rear end.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

lol I made the mistake of reading some of the comments in the Dev Diary posted last page.

some grog on the paradox forums posted:

Still hope someday warp and artificial wormholes will return.
It got "Respectfully disagree" like fifteen times and liked twice :xd:

@Wiz: I would like you to know that you made me a believer. I pretty much hated Stellaris after the post-release hype wore off and I must say that I really like 2.0.2. A lot. Good job.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 8, 2018

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Adding an army manager would help with that a lot, and they should be able to reuse a lot of the fleet manager code. Probably, anyway. Might not be that easy with all the differences in how ships and armies are built.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dongattack posted:

DatonKallandor posted:

Manually rebuilding armies is a pain in the rear end.

This. I'd like if they integrated armies into fleets themselves and had them count against the fleet cap. It'd be much less of a pain. As it is I'm debating going around and shielding/cracking worlds for the War In Heaven just because it'll be faster than using my armies.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, why the Fleet Manager doesn't apply to armies is beyond me.

Edit: new beta is up: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-team-2-0-2-beta-patch-updated-8-3-2018-checksum-da0f.1076790/

* Ether Drake Hatchling and Psionic Avatar can no longer be merged into other fleets or assigned leaders
* Assist Research is no longer researched by technology, and is instead unlocked by a Discovery tradition
* Increased max number of Titans from to 3 to 20
* Resource Replicators mineral production increased from 30 to 40
* Raised starbase max cap to 999
* Raised naval max cap to 9999
* Psionic Shields can no longer be reverse-engineered
* Purifiers, Devouring Swarms and Exterminators can now be spontaneously raided by Marauders, and can also offer tribute
* Faith in Science now gives 3 months of Unity production per tech unlocked instead of adding Unity production to assist research
* To Boldly Go now gives +50% science ship disengage chance instead of +30 science ship evasion
* Planetary Survey Corps has been replaced with Databank Uplinks; which unlocks Assist Research (techs related to Assist Research are no longer researchable, and base effect was buffed)
* Grasp the Void effect on starbase capacity increased from +4 to +5
* Clicking your own empire shield on colonized systems in the galaxy map will now open planet view and cycle between colonies in that system
* Expanding changes from "distance" trigger to "distance_to_empire" trigger distance_to_empire = { who = <target> type = <hyperlane/euclidean> uses_bypass = <yes/no> } uses hyperlane and bypasses by default, the empire in "who" is used to determine bypass usage
* Reworked distance trigger. It now works: distance = { source = <target> min = 50 max = 120 type=<hyperlane/euclidean> uses_bypass=<yes/no> bypass_empire=<empire> min_jumps = 2 max_jumps = 10 }" ); type = hyperlane/euclidean (hyperlane by default) uses_bypass: yes/no (yes by default) whether to use bypasses (wormholes/gateways) when evaluating distance bypass_empire is used to determine what bypass can be used. This parameter is ignored if uses_bypass=false if unset, bypasses will be ignored min_jumps and max_jumps work the same as min/max, except in number of jumps instead of distance units. These parameters are ignore if 0, or if the type isn't hyperlane
* Growing pops are now always killed when a planet is bombarded into a tomb world
* Fixed a bug where Prethoryn could end up with non-infested planets which could not be bombarded
* Fleet capacity now displayed correctly for fleets that should not have any. Also, the "open fleet manager" button in the fleet view is disabled for fleets that the player does not have a fleet template for (alliance fleets)
* Fixed misaligned constructed ringworld segments
* Fixed Casus Belli notification spam
* Synthetically Ascended empires no longer get the Ghost Signal modifier on newly constructed Pops
* Fixed issue with Gateway construction event incorrectly firing when someone else activated a Gateway in your system
* Wormholes and Gateways are now taken into consideration when checking if empires are neighbors
* Fixed "Go To" location and typo in "Habitat Complete" event
* Event ships now get proper fleets with templates, but are blocked from cheat building through fleet manager
* Marauder raiding fleets now go after mining/research stations of their intended target, and scale properly according to difficulty
* Robotic workers are now automatically allowed when you synthetically ascend

Some big changes to Discovery there, which felt really weak in 2.0. Looks very helpful for tech-focused empires with weak unity production. Also, lol@+5 instead of +4 starbases.

Aethernet fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 8, 2018

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
There is one thing about new Stellaris I don't understand:
On the shipyards tab of starbases there's a box called Modifier Effects. It contains 3 modifiers: Shipyard Build Cost, Shipyard Build Speed and Shipyard Build Time. I imagine Cost means ships are cheaper at that base - but what the hell is the difference between Build Speed and Build Time?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

* Wormholes and Gateways are now taken into consideration when checking if empires are neighbors

:getin:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Spanish Matlock posted:

Have they done a Herbert expansion yet? because I feel like the spice should flow at some point.

One of the trade enclaves has a +happiness unique strategic resource that is spice, and the trade deal renewal dialogue is "The spice must flow" so...

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

DatonKallandor posted:

There is one thing about new Stellaris I don't understand:
On the shipyards tab of starbases there's a box called Modifier Effects. It contains 3 modifiers: Shipyard Build Cost, Shipyard Build Speed and Shipyard Build Time. I imagine Cost means ships are cheaper at that base - but what the hell is the difference between Build Speed and Build Time?

Not sure but I believe it works like this: (final build time) = (base time)*(1+(build speed modifiers))*(1-(build time modifiers))

Aethernet posted:

Some big changes to Discovery there, which felt really weak in 2.0. Looks very helpful for tech-focused empires with weak unity production. Also, lol@+5 instead of +4 starbases.

Eeh the anomaly stuff is pretty good early game, if you get a Swirling Shadows or something early that's a big boost. And the old Faith in Science was crazy good for smaller empires, it could straight up double your unity income early on. This seems like a nerf to going Discovery first to me, actually, though it's probably better later in the game.

But wrt tech-focused empires with weak unity production, if your unity production is weak, getting three months of it is also weak. The old Faith in Science would probably be better in that instance.

e: I just started a new game before this patch dropped and opened discovery up until psc (rip), and I honestly think I'll just restart now. Might still take the opener, but the tree just seems way worse early game now.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 8, 2018

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

quote:

* Planetary Survey Corps has been replaced with Databank Uplinks; which unlocks Assist Research (techs related to Assist Research are no longer researchable, and base effect was buffed)

Aww, rest in peace Planetary Survey Corps, just short of your 1 year birthday.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

lol I made the mistake of reading some of the comments in the Dev Diary posted last page.

It got "Respectfully disagree" like fifteen times and liked twice :xd:
What did you mean to paste and which robot are you?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Taear posted:

I do! I just don't see the need to project so much force.
That said in late game my game slows a lot and messing around building more stuff is just wasting time I can be progressing the game.

That's the thing really, the ability to "progress the game" is often out of the hands of the player. You can't force the Great Khan to pop or the crisis to happen at a given time, you can't force the mandatory ten-year truce to end early, etc.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Conot posted:

Aww, rest in peace Planetary Survey Corps, just short of your 1 year birthday.
It had a good run, but I think these changes are for the best. Godspeed brave corps.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
Well, those Dev Diary goals look like the bee's knees. Can't think of anything else I would want to add, even.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

* Clicking your own empire shield on colonized systems in the galaxy map will now open planet view and cycle between colonies in that system
Woah woah woah

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Splicer posted:

Dragoon II-D, obviously, firing potshots with LPLs at the B-Z.

Edit:

Staltran posted:

But wrt tech-focused empires with weak unity production, if your unity production is weak, getting three months of it is also weak. The old Faith in Science would probably be better in that instance.

That's three months per unlocked tech. Could add up to quite a bit depending on how much tech you've unlocked, and could add quite a kick-start to traditions early on, allowing you to snowball early tradition advantages into late-game gain.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 8, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

HAH, whoops, I edited my post. I was supposed to put "Still hope someday warp and artificial wormholes will return.". Thanks for pointing that out.

Aethernet posted:

* Faith in Science now gives 3 months of Unity production per tech unlocked instead of adding Unity production to assist research
This is loving awful and I am really sad to see it go. In the screenshot I posted of my empire last night (its on the previous page of the thread) I had a science ship with a scientist on each of my three planets (I never found any other colonizable planets for a good 100 years) and it was an immense help. Maybe too powerful but that is a huuuuuuuuge nerf.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dongattack posted:

It's a parallel system to space combat that's ultimately superfluous. The amount of effort required to appropriately utilize ground combat is nearly equivalent to space combat, yet the pay-off in terms of gameplay and fun is severely limited. 2.0 (to be clear I love the updated game) took away a lot of the micro-management (particularly with the upgrades to units), but it's still not terribly interesting or exciting. You could replace the entirety of ground combat with a module on a starship and I don't think it would be a bad thing. With the latest changes where bombardment can potentially kill of armies the need is even further reduced; you can wait long enough and then drop a single army and take over an entire planet. So basically ground combat isn't fun and continues to feel tacked on.

What might be interesting is if ground combat was abstracted and Pop-based. The game already abstracts the movement of Pops with the Resettlement system; applying something similar to ground combat could be interesting. Rather than make armies the game could make Pops that are located in strongholds available for deployment; perhaps the stronghold could have a training component used to determine fighting effectiveness. A fighting effectiveness of 0% would be a civilian Pop that will provide no resistance, a fighting effectiveness of 100% would be a fully trained force. When you want to attack a planet you would deploy Pops in a manner similar to Resettlement, combat between Pops would see fighting effectiveness degrade to 0, and there would be a chance of a Pop that's reduced to 0 in combat dying off (at least one defending Pop would die off to provide a space for the invading army).

I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but my point is that ground combat as it stands right now is not terribly fun and doesn't really contribute much to the game. I'm not really sacrificing anything in order to have ground combat capability, the micro-management doesn't seem worth the payoff, and it could be significantly more interesting if it took advantage of some of the other systems in place in the game.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Does anyone else kinda feel like Citizen Service should give you 1 defensive army for every 3 pops or something similar?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

Does anyone else kinda feel like Citizen Service should give you 1 defensive army for every 3 pops or something similar?
Well now that you've said it...

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Aethernet posted:

* Fixed misaligned constructed ringworld segments

The single most important change.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

New discovery tree only has 4 traits in my pre-patch save.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Tomn posted:

That's three months per unlocked tech. Could add up to quite a bit depending on how much tech you've unlocked, and could add quite a kick-start to traditions early on, allowing you to snowball early tradition advantages into late-game gain.

The dev diary is misleading. The in-game tooltip is "Gain 3 Unity equal to 3 months of production whenever a new technology is researched". That is almost certainly less unity than the old version, though this version doesn't require you to have a bunch of scientists assisting research. Still, it's a substantial nerf, though likely not an unwarranted one.

canepazzo posted:

New discovery tree only has 4 traits in my pre-patch save.

Do you have the 1080 UI Overhaul? It seems to not play nice with that for whatever reason.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The main thing the changes to the Discovery tree means is that I think I will not want as many scientists running around, and I probably won't bother opening with it in any situation (Expansion baby, it's all Expansion). That's probably good for the game overall as it seems like when it comes to leaders you always want way more scientists than anything else. I mean, you'll still have more scientists, but it's not as imperative now.

Overall the latest set of 2.0.2 notes gets a big "meh" from me though. Some bugs that needed to be fixed got fixed, but nothing in there seems very exciting.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

AG3 posted:

The single most important change.

For loving real. I scrolled through looking for this, THEN read the rest :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like the discovery changes, mostly because I hate the "assist research" mechanic so much. I'd love to see them do-away with it entirely.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I think a one-time bonus to Unity is a dreadful way of fixing that. I like taking those traditions or whatever they are for long-term bonuses, not a one-time injection of a mana bar.

Baronjutter posted:

I like the discovery changes, mostly because I hate the "assist research" mechanic so much. I'd love to see them do-away with it entirely.
It takes a bit of micromanagement but its a great way to level up new scientists so you have not-skill 1 guys waiting in the wings for when an old scientist dies.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

The main thing the changes to the Discovery tree means is that I think I will not want as many scientists running around, and I probably won't bother opening with it in any situation (Expansion baby, it's all Expansion). That's probably good for the game overall as it seems like when it comes to leaders you always want way more scientists than anything else. I mean, you'll still have more scientists, but it's not as imperative now.

Overall the latest set of 2.0.2 notes gets a big "meh" from me though. Some bugs that needed to be fixed got fixed, but nothing in there seems very exciting.

discovery is still a priority to adopt first for the anomaly discovery chance, which is actually absurdly strong since more anomalies means better systems - anomaly discovery chance is the only bonus to space resource abundance that is available, and since it only works on unsurveyed systems, getting it ASAP is a good idea.

i wouldn't finish it out, though - just leave it and move on to expansion as your actual first tree.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

A change that i would enjoy would be to put orbital bombardment in the hands of the troop transports. And you could fit them with researchable orbital weaponry of varying effect and then just select the troop transports, rightclick the planet and select between "Bombard Planet" or "Engage Planet" which would weaken the defenses and then automatically invade. Then allow reinforcing the losses via the Fleet Manager or something like that.

I hate having to park my fleet in orbit over a planet and keep checking back to see if they have weakened the armies enough and at least that way it would be free to gently caress off somewhere else and leave the planet to specialized troops/equipment. I just build 20 of the "TITANIC WARFORM" or something in my last machine game and brute forced every planet. Expensive tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jazerus posted:

discovery is still a priority to adopt first for the anomaly discovery chance, which is actually absurdly strong since more anomalies means better systems - anomaly discovery chance is the only bonus to space resource abundance that is available, and since it only works on unsurveyed systems, getting it ASAP is a good idea.

i wouldn't finish it out, though - just leave it and move on to expansion as your actual first tree.
Yeah, extra anomalies in your core systems is still too good to pass up for me, plus not taking it gives me serious FOMO.

I think a one-time bonus to Unity is a dreadful way of fixing that. I like taking those traditions or whatever they are for long-term bonuses, not a one-time injection of a mana bar.
Nono, it's every time you research one. Every time you research a tech BAM three month unity injection. Really going to make researching this low-cost backlogs feel good.