Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I was a little hesitant but said what the hell and grabbed Harekaze to earn credits with. First game out

Yeah I think she'll do. Do people like running the Akizuki or USN guns more on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

toadee posted:

I was a little hesitant but said what the hell and grabbed Harekaze to earn credits with. First game out

Yeah I think she'll do. Do people like running the Akizuki or USN guns more on this?

Akizuki if you have IFHE. The US guns are a bit lack luster, and I'm not sure they are better than the Japanese ones.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

HFX posted:

Akizuki if you have IFHE. The US guns are a bit lack luster, and I'm not sure they are better than the Japanese ones.

I'm right now with a 13 point captain, so I've been running:

PT, PM, AR, LS, SE, CE, and figured my remaining 6 would end up in SI and then I wasn't sure between TAE and DE. I mean I also have just the one IJN captain to run with at the moment, so I need something that is usable across the DD line. I had thought of IFHE as more for the brawling sort of DDs. Although I've also been unsure how much use I get out of PT. I can count on one hand the number of times I'm spotted and the targeting number isn't roughly equal to the number of enemy ships I'm within draw distance to.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

toadee posted:

I'm right now with a 13 point captain, so I've been running:

PT, PM, AR, LS, SE, CE, and figured my remaining 6 would end up in SI and then I wasn't sure between TAE and DE. I mean I also have just the one IJN captain to run with at the moment, so I need something that is usable across the DD line. I had thought of IFHE as more for the brawling sort of DDs. Although I've also been unsure how much use I get out of PT. I can count on one hand the number of times I'm spotted and the targeting number isn't roughly equal to the number of enemy ships I'm within draw distance to.

I run the Japanese guns but i have expert marksman, before i had that i ran the US guns and was a lot happier with them, though that was before the buff so im not certain how that is now, they are by no stretch of the imagination good but they are better if you get jumped at close range because they can traverse faster. If you are using a generic japanese DD captain then you should not do akizuki guns. Personally i wouldnt use them at all because if you want Akizuki guns at T8 you can just use the Akizuki, but thats up to you and whether you have it.

With 13 points for a japanese DD your build should be IMO:
Preventative Maintainance
Last Stand
Torpedo Armament Expertise
Survivability expert
Concealment expert

Then

Save for RDF and your choice of Adrenaline Rush or expert marksman. (Alternative option is to skip SE and get RDF first, then get SE, you dont want to get suprised in a japanese DD)

Japanese guns arent bad per se, just their turret traverse sucks rear end. You should not be taking DE on Japanese DD's, you should take Torp reload.

I wouldn't take priority target on the harekaze especially, you have the lowest detection in the game and if you are spotted you should be getting unspotted ASAP (This also goes for all japanese DD's up to T9), you don't have the health or really the gunpower to mess about in the open and take risks which is what PT helps you do.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Polyakov posted:

Japanese guns arent bad per se, just their turret traverse sucks rear end. .

Ain't that the truth. As it is, paying attention to have my turrets lined up, against the right opponents I will brawl inside a cap in Akatsuki. Especially seeing what happens after the first salvo. They hit pretty loving hard on a DD and I think a lot of captains get surprised that an IJN torp boat just smacked them with guns and you can really take advantage of it. When you suddenly have a problem on the opposite side though, oh god. That wait is unbearable. The guns themselves though do solid damage and have great arcs.

I will try out your suggested build for a bit, I think it does make more sense. I really wanted to figure a way to get DE in there, although maybe it wouldn't really make as big a difference as I thought. I try often to land a torp on the nose/bait the damage con, then set a fire and duck away, so the increased fire chance seemed really nice.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Lacking a Money Makin' Missouri, I'm back in the credits grind to get new ships. Advice on money-makers?

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

seriously, :wtc:
So I'm guessing Texas back in or around memorial day and/or july 4th. Any ideas on when we're getting another round of premiums/etc? I'm still confused as to why they axed most of the old ones, but i'm guessing too many out at once?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Cobbsprite posted:

Lacking a Money Makin' Missouri, I'm back in the credits grind to get new ships. Advice on money-makers?

Got a Kutuzov or any t8 prem?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Catpants McStabby posted:

So I'm guessing Texas back in or around memorial day and/or july 4th. Any ideas on when we're getting another round of premiums/etc? I'm still confused as to why they axed most of the old ones, but i'm guessing too many out at once?

Some of the old premiums were grossly overpowered. Mostly, they just rotate them in and out to encourage people to BUY BUY BUY IT NOW YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN IT'LL BE BACK.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Pacra posted:

Got a Kutuzov or any t8 prem?

Not Kutuzov, but yes Atago? Though I haven't taken her out since they erased stealth-firing, and I'll have to reset her commander skills completely.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cobbsprite posted:

Not Kutuzov, but yes Atago? Though I haven't taken her out since they erased stealth-firing, and I'll have to reset her commander skills completely.

Some T7 premiums also make good credits, ie Belfast, Nelson

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Some T7 premiums also make good credits, ie Belfast, Nelson

I take a pass on your advice as a general rule. I want to actually win games.

Fake edit: Also I don't have either of those. But what I'm hearing is "higher-tier premiums". I might see how to play the stealth-nerfed Atago and just roll that all day long.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
The scharnhorst makes decent money and, as a bonus, is terrifically fun to play.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Cobbsprite posted:

I take a pass on your advice as a general rule. I want to actually win games.

Fake edit: Also I don't have either of those. But what I'm hearing is "higher-tier premiums". I might see how to play the stealth-nerfed Atago and just roll that all day long.

Do you feel you are good? Do you have a Russian IFHE captain? I make ~400-500K per game before costs in the Molotov with just normal econ flags on it. I think it may have a crazy credit multiplier. You can also get the Alabama from the in game store. She's a phenomenal BB that up tiers well and prints credits when she does. Just not Missouri levels.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The Atago can definitely still get poo poo done if you are good at Japanese cruisers. Just don't do that pubbie thing of firing forever and sailing in a straight-ish line because you will get punched in the citadel and you will die.

Basically any time I see an Atago running at BB range, I put the citadel somewhere between 10-15 notches and it will hit. People do not know when to stop firing.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

First impressions of the stock Normandie: it is a jukebox that only plays Eurobeat, with a Claymore mine strapped to the front. :puckin:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

MikeC posted:

On the Z46 right now but the meta seems to be a big change from Z23. I was doing very well in the Z23 but have a 25% win rate in Z46. The pervasiveness of radar is insane. I am often pushing caps and even though I might take the opposing DD down with me, its just a trade when there is just so much radar around. Not trying to push caps early seems kind of wrong too as everyone else is doing it but they seem to just accept that sometimes you get rear end hosed by radar.

I just finished a game where I ended up beating a Benson 1 v 1 but a New Orleans lit me up with radar part way through the fight while I was dodging torpedoes and couldn't escape the radar range and I was pelted to death by his entire team. It didn't help that no one on my team bothered to take out the New Orleans to shut down the radar. I actually survived the radar duration alive but stray shots into my smoke several seconds later ended me. Not sure if it was wrong to go in and take on the Benson or not.

Bensons you can beat pretty easily. Be careful of Fletchers and especially Gearings or the Pan-asian ripoff versions. Getting lit by a NO is just a positioning error, don't rush in against enemies to sonar them if you don't already know where all the RADARs are. Your goal is to get into knifefight range and then smoke up for uncontested damage against ships on cap, with your SONAR shielding you from rushing DDs or torp walls. If you can't do this, then play like an IJN DD and keep range. Your arcs are still better than US guns, and your torps are important, especially with their great reload speed.

Went up against a Harekaze and Shima in this game, ambushed the Harekaze between caps, and scared the Shima out of position near his Minotaurs and ran him down with SONAR once he was too far away to save. German DDs are flexible ships, you alternate between being the scout/capper (Russian alt line), the brawler (US DD), and the torpedoboat (IJN). I recommend having some experience with the other trees as well, so you know what they are capable of. The German DD line isn't as easy as the US. Sometimes you'll need to swap to AP in a DD duel, keep that in mind.

toadee posted:

If you aren't running the 10cm guns, you're doing it wrong. You need IFHE, however, so a 14 point captain is required. But once you have it, you've got a stealthier, faster Akizuki with 1 less gun and 1 more quad tube. And a hell of lot less HP (try not to get into brawls with Gearings, even if you do ridiculous DPS).

Harekaze build would be PT > LS > SE > CE > IFHE > DE/BFT (more fire or more shells + AA?) > AR
Your AA in the Harekaze with 10cm guns is actually real, so don't be afraid to use it if you must.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 7, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPTmwdo3X9M

Yuro made another video, it's about 8 minutes of clowning on people in various ships with torpedoes, followed by a concise 2 minute demonstration of what exactly Russian Bias is, one of his teammates 3v1s from 50% health as the last survivor in a Khaba and wins.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 7, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Sperglord Actual posted:

First impressions of the stock Normandie: it is a jukebox that only plays Eurobeat, with a Claymore mine strapped to the front. :puckin:

My first impression is that it exists to feed high calibres to Fusos. I can't get it to citadel broadside cruisers, and can't get it to damage angled battleships without using HE, but in return the 14" guns on Fuso does massive amounts of full pen damage whether you're angled or not. Haven't seen Bayern, QE or Warspite in it yet to see what the 15" guns do to it.

e: I sail angled against a Fuso and it hits me for 20k damage per salvo two salvos in a row, next battle I sail at the same angle and a New Mex bounces a whole salvo off my belt, so gently caress knows what that Fuso was hitting.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 7, 2018

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
All the french bb's minus Lyon are trash with trash dispersion and the speed boost is gimmicky. The only reason Lyon is ok is because lol shotgun effect.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Probably my favorite Yuro bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku3qM_AC-Os&t=280s

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Apparently 0.7.2 hosed with underwater shell drag so the Conqueror is now citadelable :popeye:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

I did that in the training room the patch the Conq came out, although less reliably. This might be different, I need to find the rest of the stream.

EDIT: Yeah that's not aiming for the tiny spot you can hit the citadel, that's just boom gently caress you.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 7, 2018

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I haven't played since the beta I think. I got to Tier V for japan and now I also have a double helping of premium ships? Who has guns that shoot the most flat/fast so I can feel less bad about sucking at aiming. Also who has the biggest ouchiest guns now?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Sextro posted:

I haven't played since the beta I think. I got to Tier V for japan and now I also have a double helping of premium ships? Who has guns that shoot the most flat/fast so I can feel less bad about sucking at aiming. Also who has the biggest ouchiest guns now?

Yamato still has the biggest guns in the game.

Russian Cruisers and DDs have the fastest flattest arcs, the Russian T10 Battleship Cruiser has an absurd shell velocity.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

What about the UK? I was pointlessly enamored with their vessels way back in the days of Navyfield.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Finished the second set of French Gold missions and got the Normandie and the Lyon personal missions in my 5 crates.

Seeyas tier 3-6.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Sextro posted:

What about the UK? I was pointlessly enamored with their vessels way back in the days of Navyfield.

UK battleships specialize in slinging HE with far higher alpha damage and fire chance than other nations, and the top tier ones have a super heal. UK Cruisers don't get HE at all, but instead get short fuse AP and long lasting smoke, plus single fire torps. The cruiser guns are very floaty, but the Minotar has a 3 second reload with 10 guns so it vomits out more shells than anything else in the game.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Also, the french t7 battleship lyon might be a more mid level recommendation. Mainly because it has a 16 gun broadside to correct any problems with aiming.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I got Moskva a couple weeks ago and tooled around with it, whatever, didn't really do too well since it's so different from Des Moines. Until today where I finally had the game that clicked. Highlights included blasting an Iowa that sailed around an island broadside at 10km for 20k damage and then 24k damage back to back to sink it, tagging the Bismark that followed behind it, and then citadeling a Missouri from 17km away for 12k damage because, well, :psyduck: I guess.

e: rofl just knocked out a Yamato turret, *through the front*

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 8, 2018

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

I got Moskva a couple weeks ago and tooled around with it, whatever, didn't really do too well since it's so different from Des Moines. Until today where I finally had the game that clicked. Highlights included blasting an Iowa that sailed around an island broadside at 10km for 20k damage and then 24k damage back to back to sink it, tagging the Bismark that followed behind it, and then citadeling a Missouri from 17km away for 12k damage because, well, :psyduck: I guess.

e: rofl just knocked out a Yamato turret, *through the front*
Moskva guns are absolutely ridiculous. Also, the extra radar range is just great for ruining people's games.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Contest the cap and play for the objective? Not while UNSPOTTED BATTLESHIP is on the case :cop:

There was nothing he could have done aside from hanging back entirely until every single battleship was spotted. The dude was playing for the objective like he should have been, got caught out by by a stealthy BB running CE, and died in the first salvo I fired.

He wasn't even broadside. He probed the point, took fire, began to turn away and caught my shells just so.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Contest the cap and play for the objective? Not while UNSPOTTED BATTLESHIP is on the case :cop:

There was nothing he could have done aside from hanging back entirely until every single battleship was spotted. The dude was playing for the objective like he should have been, got caught out by by a stealthy BB running CE, and died in the first salvo I fired.

He wasn't even broadside. He probed the point, took fire, began to turn away and caught my shells just so.

counterpoint: an algerie should never be on point by themselves

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Does adrenalin rush work on secondaries for battleships?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Fizzil posted:

Does adrenalin rush work on secondaries for battleships?

Yes. IFHE, BFT, and DE also work on secondaries.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

My first impression is that it exists to feed high calibres to Fusos. I can't get it to citadel broadside cruisers, and can't get it to damage angled battleships without using HE, but in return the 14" guns on Fuso does massive amounts of full pen damage whether you're angled or not. Haven't seen Bayern, QE or Warspite in it yet to see what the 15" guns do to it.

e: I sail angled against a Fuso and it hits me for 20k damage per salvo two salvos in a row, next battle I sail at the same angle and a New Mex bounces a whole salvo off my belt, so gently caress knows what that Fuso was hitting.

At what range? I could see a Fuso at very close range managing to punch through the turrets/flat part of the upper front deck face/upper bow armor, but at medium ranges with even a bit of angling I don't know what a Fuso would think it's capable of doing.

I say this because

Sperglord Actual posted:

is way more in line with my experiences.

Also, when upgraded, it is basically that same jukebox, but with the record drive motor spinning about 20% faster.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 8, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Rorac posted:

At what range? I could see a Fuso at very close range managing to punch through the turrets/flat part of the upper front deck face/upper bow armor, but at medium ranges with even a bit of angling I don't know what a Fuso would think it's capable of doing.

Also, when upgraded, it is basically that same jukebox, but with the record drive motor spinning about 20% faster.

16km for the first salvo, maybe 10km for the second? Don't recall exactly, also not sure where the shells landed because I wasn't paying enough attention. Also, I got mine from a box mission, so it's been upgraded from the start, not driven it stock.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Rorac posted:

The Fuso is capable of doing anything it wants, it's a monster. I'm an average player and I'm averaging 75k damage a game in it.

For Money making I generally make 400-500K a game in my Nelson, 300-400K in my Hood. Belfast can make decent money but I find the games where I'm making good money in that tend to be longer, so if it's straight cash grinding then I would say Nelson.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Anyone catch the Flambass Death Race events?

Basically teams of all V-25's race a figure 8 around the big islands in Two Brothers, trying to be the first on their team to get back to their cap. Also there are CVs on each side sending torps and bombs at the players. CVs can't shoot at each other but use fighters for spotting. V-25's all shoot torps only at each other (including friendlies), Death Race style.

The first attempt was 3 CVs, and all V-25 torps. The amount of torps was... a bit much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRF5zVz0f6Y

The second try cut it to 2 CVs per side, and the V-25's were allowed only front torps. This time people actually finished!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qn_-Uk9cKg

I feel like we need to make this happen with Goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Just want to say, anyone who defends a retarded (usually game-losing) course of action by a player with "let him play how he wants!" should uninstall and stick to single player games. If you play a multiplayer game like this, you should at least make an effort towards helping your team win.