Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

3Romeo posted:

my favorite thing about SA is there's no Posting Brand (tm) because who gives a gently caress on dead gay retarded forums? When i'm here i'm 19 and dumb again

Quote isn't edit, but this a great way to start the page, qtiyd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Throwing :10bux: your way. Thanks, taxman. You've done well.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKN9trFSACI&t=64s

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Klyith posted:

excuse me it is I who was dead rear end serious

get ready

futuramatakemymoney.jpg

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just want Mr. Lowtax to lnow I love this site.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Sue Eastside posted:

Speaking of antisocial networks, Facebook has a Firesign Theater group. It's basically all old weirdos like me posting quotes from their records. Stupid but hilarious fun.
If you don't know about The Firesign Theater then you need to get banned.

uh...pass the syrup, general?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv041-dAnqs

Best actual fundraiser premiums irl : NPR station KUFM gives goat poop sometimes.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

i was just an occasional lurker at the time but me and a couple other goons started making "marble hornets" almost 9 years ago and i got to do a lot of cool poo poo thanks to a photoshop thread so i guess for better or worse SA changed my life in a roundabout way

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
This is the only website I visit regularly. Sometimes I'll be having a slow day at work and the forums are down for maintenance or whatever and I'll be like "Now what the gently caress do I do? Is there even anything worth seeing on the rest of the internet?" I lurked for so long before registering an account that in my head I still translate "gently caress" to "gently caress".

Anyway, just bought plat and donated 20 bux. Don't die, taxman.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tim Burns Effect posted:

i was just an occasional lurker at the time but me and a couple other goons started making "marble hornets" almost 9 years ago and i got to do a lot of cool poo poo thanks to a photoshop thread so i guess for better or worse SA changed my life in a roundabout way

I think the Marble Hornets thread was a big part of convincing me to buy an account.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I lurked for so long before registering an account that in my head I still translate "gently caress" to "gently caress".

Same. It's not a commonly used phrase but when it shows up I pretty much laugh at my brain for doing that. Thanks SA

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

dee eight posted:

uh...pass the syrup, general?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv041-dAnqs

Best actual fundraiser premiums irl : NPR station KUFM gives goat poop sometimes.

Speaking as the most-likely 2nd-oldest goon, I hope we're not the only ones with deep love for The FST. I found my first record in the KMart discount bin in '77. You could even say Nick Danger popped my cherry. Worthy of its own thread, really.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Benjamin Franklin. The only president of the United States who was never president of the United States.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

Klyith posted:

excuse me it is I who was dead rear end serious

get ready

is that gbs bag available in like a purple with white ink? :o

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
This place made me buy a creditcard. Thanks?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

karms posted:

You shouldn't need to pay for a credit card unless you're going for one that has particular rewards you're interested in.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

karms posted:

You "bought" a credit card...?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
lol if you pay for access to your own money in any form.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Methanar posted:

lol if you pay for access to your own money in any form.

Technically it's someone else's money

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

dee eight posted:

I'm planning a fundraiser. I'm going to host a contest to find the absolute best, pro-est of the pro tier cats on the forums.
I ran a cat show in PI a billion years ago and it raised a grand and change for various animal shelters and stuff, so why not do it again for a closer to home cause?

put yo money where yo mouf is boy

Defecate or vacate the sanitary facility.

DO IT, YOU PUSSY

dee eight fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 8, 2018

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'm sorry you're going through more hard times Lowtax. I hit that donate button. Thanks for making this site possible.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Cable Guy posted:

You "bought" a credit card...?

They might have had to put a deposit in a bank to secure a credit card, I had to do that a long time ago when I was first trying to establish credit.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Bought plat after 11 years. Can't wait to check out archived LF threads and search for threads about bitcoin!!!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

They might have had to put a deposit in a bank to secure a credit card, I had to do that a long time ago when I was first trying to establish credit.

Or they may have bought a stolen one from a tweaker on the street, which is how I'm choosing to read it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I love SA, have been on here since I was a teenager and I was thinking about why lowtax's most recent banning from twitter frustrated me so much and why this place and other "early" internet forums ecosystems appeal to me much more than new social media poo poo (btw this might be a messy post cause I'm still kinda working out my stance on this).

SA, I think, works and always will work because our rules are crystal clear and laid out, openly enforced (leper's colony is one of the best ideas ever) and the moderation/administration staff are all contactable, accountable and mortal when mistakes are made. Lowtax has definitely made an effort throughout the years to relax and tighten rules as community trends call for it but like it or not, he is always incredibly clear about it beforehand.

So when I look at twitter, facebook, youtube and all those shitholes and I see a complete absence of all those things: vague as poo poo rules, invisible moderation staff with no accountability, no consistency, absolutely zero feedback on why/how punishments are enforced, tons of mistakes/false punishments, it's no wonder no one takes those places seriously and why every single one of those is referred to as a "toxic". Why the gently caress did people start putting up with that?

Anyway, SA is one of the last places on the internet where I can have an argument with someone and tell them to suck my dick and the person I'm arguing with will laugh and try to one-up me (and fail cause i'm a a stud) cause people here ***mostly*** understand hyperbole and sarcasm and I don't want that to ever go away. If somehow the day ever comes where the moderation staff's names all disappear then I am super done with this place. This cane go too far ofc, look at ResetERA (lmao), that site's law enforcement could easily be its own thread.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
It's also because SA's purpose isn't "be a giant hellhole of selfies and food pics and self promotion" like every social media thing.

Instead you find actual coherent discussion or at least conversation with a general agreed upon topic in the threads.

And the best part is you only have to read "political statements" if you choose to. (And by that I mean to stay "if you don't stay away from D&D".)

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Lowtax please do not die, it would be inconvenient for me.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Unfunny Poster posted:

I just want Mr. Lowtax to lnow I love this site.

Now I know and appreciate it! I love all you guys and want to thank you all for making this place what it is. We would have no awesome "community" if it wasn't for all of you and the incredible mods and admins that make up this place, so thank you all for everything you've done and for making the culture of this place one of the only non-toxic websites left on the internet. The fact that we're approaching TWO DECADES of being here demonstrates that SA has one of the greatest communities on the internet, and I'm extremely thankful for all the users and mods here*.

* not so much for Aatrek

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
We will still respect you even when you have to type out your posts with a mouthstick.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Hopper posted:

And the best part is you only have to read "political statements" if you choose to. (And by that I mean to stay "if you don't stay away from D&D".)
Political opinions are what tears apart communities, and I've always tried to keep that poo poo in its own forum. That poo poo is toxic as hell and brings out the absolute worst in people. Look at any social media site; if politics are involved, it's just a bunch of people hating other people and screaming at each other, while bitching about how they hate the site and the community itself. The internet itself has become a huge, seething cauldron of animosity, and it's great to have a place where I can go and not have to see or deal with those morons who have corrupted the rest of the internet.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

donated :10bux: x5 because the last 12 years on these forums have made me the man i am today

i would donate more but the man i am today is the type of broke idiot that does things like donate 50 bucks to a website because an internet stranger has a crappy bullshit spine

also i bought a cnst shirt but that was unrelated to the spine

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Lowtax posted:

Political opinions are what tears apart communities, and I've always tried to keep that poo poo in its own forum. That poo poo is toxic as hell and brings out the absolute worst in people. Look at any social media site; if politics are involved, it's just a bunch of people hating other people and screaming at each other, while bitching about how they hate the site and the community itself. The internet itself has become a huge, seething cauldron of animosity, and it's great to have a place where I can go and not have to see or deal with those morons who have corrupted the rest of the internet.

On your episode of Struggle Session, it really stood out to hear an articulation of SA's ethos and why you truly believed in public forums. Almost everyone else has thrown in the towel and built up subcommunity silos. You already show up in history articles on internet culture mutation, even if it's just to answer "what went wrong with 4chan". But you can look forward to Cyberstudies PhD students in 2050 writing dissertations on SA and your rage against the dying of the light. Really bummed I missed the NYC goonmeet. Feel better dude

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
The best/worst part of SA are the various megathreads in places like Ask/Tell that's been running for years, and you can spend months reading them on a regular basis and never manage to catch up. Also, even if the thread's on a subject I'm really interested in I feel like I can't contribute, 'cause the thread regulars are invariably superspergs with triple PhDs in subject X and anything I'd chip in on the subject would just be embarrassing.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Mr. Sunshine posted:

The best/worst part of SA are the various megathreads in places like Ask/Tell that's been running for years, and you can spend months reading them on a regular basis and never manage to catch up. Also, even if the thread's on a subject I'm really interested in I feel like I can't contribute, 'cause the thread regulars are invariably superspergs with triple PhDs in subject X and anything I'd chip in on the subject would just be embarrassing.

I disagree.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe

dee eight posted:

I disagree.

I disagree with your disagreement. Cocksucker.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I disagree with your disagreement. Cocksucker.

An insult! I challenge you to a lifetime of bitter hatred!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

dee eight posted:

I disagree.

Right. They should chip in if only to ask a question. That way the "superspergs with triple PhDs" to normies ratio is maintained and everyone feels like they can participate. Especially in pune form

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe

dee eight posted:

An insult! I challenge you to a lifetime of bitter hatred!

Hooray! I always wanted a forums nemesis.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Mr. Sunshine posted:

SA hasn't been like this in years. Just post in any mega thread and the regulars will be happy to accommodate you. Mods used to be like "RTFT" but now that we're all in our 30s with lives and have calmed down a bit people are happy to help you and at best you're just expected to read the OP and maaaybe the first page. I know all the threads I'm a regular in I'm more than happy to invite new people to it as long as they're cool and PM me pics of their cock

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

beep by grandpa posted:

SA hasn't been like this in years. Just post in any mega thread and the regulars will be happy to accommodate you. Mods used to be like "RTFT" but now that we're all in our 30s with lives and have calmed down a bit
Yup, that's a big part of it, while the things we, especially me, post may be juvenile, we're all generally mature and don't post or act like the rest of the internet. We use complete sentences. We don't post emojis nonstop. We don't communicate solely through stupid internet acronyms. This forum is one of the oldest "social media" sites on the internet, and the fact that we have members from 2002 still active and posting says a lot about how strong our community is. Again, this is all because of you all and the mods, and this place wouldn't still exist if it weren't for you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

CaptainViolence posted:

i would donate more but the man i am today is the type of broke idiot that does things like donate 50 bucks to a website because an internet stranger has a crappy bullshit spine
I am no stranger, I am friend to all.

• Locked thread